PDA

View Full Version : Would you Open Carry an AR pistol?

AyeGuy
07-15-2011, 2:33 PM
This guy in Texas does it with a FAL:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/46292
http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2711.jpg

stix213
07-15-2011, 2:43 PM
Is that body armor he is wearing too?

Coded-Dude
07-15-2011, 2:49 PM
people are saying that is texas.....I though OC was illegal in texas. :shrug:

unusedusername
07-15-2011, 2:50 PM
In the small chance you were serious...

California UOCers: please avoid black rifle drama... (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=338401)

BajaJames83
07-15-2011, 2:50 PM
he aint F***in around

Carnivore
07-15-2011, 2:56 PM
If I were into drama I would open carry an AR on my back, a glock on one hip and a SP89 on my other but with the climate we have in this state, nope. I have nothing against those that do but I will be happy, MORE then happy with a CCW thank you very much.

warbird
07-15-2011, 2:59 PM
I CCW legally simply because I do not want the drama of some airhead panicking and calling the cops and creating a scene. I think it would be nice to live in an area where I could have the option to wear an exposed holster without having a bunch of sheep mentality people start whining and calling the cops. But that is not going to happen in california. It would be nice to wake up on Saturday morning, put on an exposed sidearm, stop for coffee, go to the gun range, and upon leaving if i forget to take it off and put it in the trunk I am not going to get into trouble for it. If the government thinks I am qualified to own it then it should trust me to handle it correctly in public without having to hide it.

Bhobbs
07-15-2011, 3:00 PM
No.

1. If I were going to UOC a pistol it would be a practical pistol.
2. UOC with generic pistols causes a panic. Now imagine the panic an AR pistol would creat.

MasterYong
07-15-2011, 3:07 PM
LOL look at that mall ninja. I'd take one look at that guy and immediately leave the store. That outfit plus that gun = LUNATIC. Either he's nuts or going out of his way to scare people. There is nothing necessary nor practical about what he's doing. Thank God in America we generally have the freedom to look like that much of an idiot.

In regards to "would you OC an AR pistol in CA?"

Only if you're a total jack*** that's trying to further ram the cause of OC into the ground in CA. Only then.

ETA: I just realized that's a "people of walmart" photo. Jeebus, let's not turn CalGuns into /b/ shall we?

Also, in the 2A forum???

bwiese
07-15-2011, 3:14 PM
Whatever politco-legal drama UOC creates, UOCing of an EBR or EBP (AR/AK pistol) in CA will cause a completely separate body of drama interfering with a variety of work to cleanup AW matters. I heartily hope that UOCers don't delve into this new field.

unusedusername
07-15-2011, 3:15 PM
ETA: I just realized that's a "people of walmart" photo. Jeebus, let's not turn CalGuns into /b/ shall we?

Welcome to my sig...

Liberty1
07-15-2011, 3:18 PM
people are saying that is texas.....I though OC was illegal in texas. :shrug:

OC of long arms is not prohibited in Texas.

epcii
07-15-2011, 5:40 PM
Nope. Too much attraction.

corrupt
07-15-2011, 6:28 PM
Too many people within close proximity while having a slinged 30"+ firearm for my taste.

CitaDeL
07-15-2011, 7:39 PM
Im kinda hoping for the day that the CGF asks us to open carry AR or AK platform arms. But right now,... notsomuch.

GettoPhilosopher
07-15-2011, 7:57 PM
Im kinda hoping for the day that the CGF asks us to open carry AR or AK platform arms. But right now,... notsomuch.

+1

I think it'd be awesome, but I'm a mature adult enough (HAHAHAHA!!!!) to know that it's an utterly horrible idea...which is why I won't do it! :)

That being said, I'd love to see the day when gun ownership is mainstream enough that I can "Israeli" it and walk down my street with an AR on my back. Just dunno if it's ever going to happen.

Turo
07-15-2011, 7:59 PM
I wish I could open carry an AR pistol using an FAL...

Write Winger
07-15-2011, 8:18 PM
No, but I'm gonna try to get my PLR16 on my CCW just to say I did :D

Quiet
07-15-2011, 11:42 PM
I would not open carry an AR/AK pistol.
But, I would conceal carry one.

thedrickel
07-15-2011, 11:56 PM
When I UOC, I do it right - 2 FAL pistols and 2 Krinks, one of each front and rear. The e checks are really fun.

FullMetalJacket
07-15-2011, 11:57 PM
I really don't want to open carry anything. I'd be concerned it's an advertisement that says "if you're planning violence, take me out first" or "if you need a gun, I'm the guy to club over the head when he's not expecting it."

That said, with a suitably voluminous coat, I wouldn't mind concealed carrying an AR-type weapon...

andytothemax
07-16-2011, 12:08 AM
I really don't want to open carry anything. I'd be concerned it's an advertisement that says "if you're planning violence, take me out first" or "if you need a gun, I'm the guy to club over the head when he's not expecting it."

That said, with a suitably voluminous coat, I wouldn't mind concealed carrying an AR-type weapon...

http://www.twistedplastic.com/figures/movies/heat004.jpg

Even a suitcoat will do; most people don't even notice that kind of thing. Robert De Niro image from a cool action figure website (http://www.twistedplastic.com/figures/heat.html)

DannyInSoCal
07-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Hahahahah - What a tool.

Does anyone here have an AR pistol on their CCW...?

Liberty1
07-16-2011, 12:20 AM
I'd oc anything personally but an AR pistol would not be my first choose. If I wanted rifle level stopping power I'd have some thing with a stock or an FN 5.7. Otherwise a good basic pistol in a good belt holster is the easiest and safest carry method.

I could be talked into a slung AR for most outdoor activities like walks or just hanging out in a mall while the family shopped. If I'd have to conduct business like banking, doctors visits, grocery shopping I'd prefer a sidearm ( a slung SBR W/folding stock might be nice however!). If I already had a pistol my longer arm would be 'Israeli' loaded.

Liberty1
07-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Anyone want to buy Dooby a ticket to and hotel in Upland?

-dER0Vh362Y

CitaDeL
07-16-2011, 6:18 AM
Anyone want to buy Dooby a ticket to and hotel in Upland?

-dER0Vh362Y

Id be happy to put it in the hat for him, but I think we would need to find him a vest too, for good measure.

gun toting monkeyboy
07-16-2011, 7:35 AM
I would UOC an EBP only if we were doing it to make a political point. Because carrying something like that is only going to attract a lot of the wrong kind of attention. And while the guy with the FAL looks like a paranoid fruitcake, he might very well actually need that much firepower. Have you ever been in a Walmart on the 1st and 15th of the month? There are times I think I need a whip and a chair just to get through the check out line...

Now, assuming I ever get my CCW permit, you can bet your posterior that I will be putting an EBP on it. Why? Well, to quote Jayne Cobb, "I just get excitable as to choice- like to have my options open." I want to be able to carry as many different toys as I can. Not that I would most likely ever actually carry anything other than the 1 or 2 pistols that I already carry on those rare occasions that I can legally CCW. But to have the freedom of knowing that I can do it would be nice.

-Mb

vintagearms
07-16-2011, 7:43 AM
There will never be a need to UOC/OC/CCW a rifle cartridged pistol. Talk about paranoid and completely stupid. :rolleyes:

GettoPhilosopher
07-16-2011, 9:59 AM
There will never be a need to UOC/OC/CCW a rifle cartridged pistol. Talk about paranoid and completely stupid. :rolleyes:

Citation, por favor? :) I remember the Riots.

Chaparral
07-16-2011, 10:08 AM
On first thought it'd be fun. After about 0.00000000000000001 seconds have elapsed, it's stupid: a) because the 2A cause does not need that kind of crap right now

and b) because even if OC were the norm, an AR pistol is definitely out of the ordinary. Maybe in a world where abso-freakin-lutely everybody carried and a firearm started becoming a fashion accessory for teenagers and metrosexuals and everyone else but I don't see that in my lifetime.

That guy with the FAL and gear is ummm, someone I'd want to pull aside and have a talk with even if OC was commonplace.

donw
07-16-2011, 10:09 AM
i, personally, don't think i would...but...if it's legal where he's at...i see nothing wrong with it.

i find it odd...if something is lawful, why would you assail it, or not exercise your lawful right?

think about it...the fastest and easiest way to LOSE lawful rights is to neglect to use, or have knowledge of them. special interest then bullies to overcome YOUR RIGHTS in favor of their opinion(s)

what comes to mind is the snide comment made by an assembly member (i think it was Garzia (?): "I'm getting tired of feeling the weight of someone carrying guns in the open."

now, they've introduced legislation to TAKE AWAY THAT LAWFUL RIGHT...

IF IT IS LAW AND everyone OPEN CARRIED, it would become commonplace, and hopefully, accepted as being "OK"

12voltguy
07-16-2011, 11:02 AM

why would they?
they don't ask you to open carry at all right now

OutlawDon
07-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Total tool. Mall ninja sh#t right there.

Go back home and play COD.

I'd take him out with a butter knife while he's thumbing through the inventory attached to him.

Turo
07-16-2011, 11:41 AM
So, let me see if I can get this straight: The reason this forum exists, and the reason people here are members, is to further the 2nd amendment rights of California citizens. Somebody posts a picture of a person exercising their 2nd amendment rights, and two thirds of the responses range from "What a tool" to "paranoid and completely stupid."

Did I accidentally stumble into the Brady Campaign forum? What the hell is wrong when supposed 2nd amendment supporters ridicule and crap all over someone for doing exactly what they claim to support? Sometimes the people here make me sick.

Thanks to those that didn't throw out hypocritical remarks. The rest of you should be ashamed at yourselves.

Liberty1
07-16-2011, 11:49 AM
So, let me see if I can get this straight: The reason this forum exists, and the reason people here are members, is to further the 2nd amendment rights of California citizens. Somebody posts a picture of a person exercising their 2nd amendment rights, and two thirds of the responses range from "What a tool" to "paranoid and completely stupid."

Did I accidentally stumble into the Brady Campaign forum? What the hell is wrong when supposed 2nd amendment supporters ridicule and crap all over someone for doing exactly what they claim to support? Sometimes the people here make me sick.

Thanks to those that didn't throw out hypocritical remarks. The rest of you should be ashamed at yourselves.

I like to compare their typed sentiments to their posted signatures for added entertainment.

proclone1
07-16-2011, 11:56 AM
he aint F***in around

lol that's for sure. I really can't think of any type of "good" reaction that your average admittedly-2a-ignorant citizen will have from that, they probably start at full-on "OH S***" panic in their mind and then begin rationalizing from there. Not the best order of operations!

Liberty1
07-16-2011, 12:01 PM
This guy in Texas does it with a FAL:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/46292
http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2711.jpg

This could be:

Airsoft en route to a game;

Texas State Guard (non Nat. Guard), not sure what uniform they have;

Minuteman(or similar group) near the boarder;

Militia coming from going to a muster; or

Some dude wanting to show off his RKBA.

Sonic_mike
07-16-2011, 12:12 PM
I remember a thread here on CG saying that picture was taken in el Salvador or some place in south america?

Liberty1
07-16-2011, 12:15 PM
I remember a thread here on CG saying that picture was taken in el Salvador or some place in south america?

WINNER! http://walmartstores.com/AboutUs/9754.aspx

Uxi
07-16-2011, 12:16 PM
lol AR pistol? Single shot, isn't it? Probably not.

Body armor with a rifle and a sling... would be better but yeah pretty extreme

Turo
07-16-2011, 12:39 PM
lol AR pistol? Single shot, isn't it? Probably not.

AR type pistols only have to be sold by a dealer as single shot firearms to comply with the roster. They are converted to semi-auto when the customer receives them.

Uriah02
07-16-2011, 1:16 PM
This could be:

Airsoft en route to a game;

Texas State Guard (non Nat. Guard), not sure what uniform they have;

Minuteman(or similar group) near the boarder;

Militia coming from going to a muster; or

Some dude wanting to show off his RKBA.

That's not organized military gear, it looks like surplus based on the hodgepodge of gear: non-mil issue weapon, black boots - not issued type, old school and mismatched mag pouch, rolled sleeves, police uniform colored body armor. Looks like a show off to me...

Kharn
07-16-2011, 4:04 PM
He's definitely not going to a drill weekend in that get-up.

And no, I wouldn't OC an AR pistol, but I'd go for a 5-7" 9mm SBR AR15.

VW*Mike
07-16-2011, 4:46 PM
Why? I know there is the argument "Why not!?!", in that case, why not a DRACO, or an UZI? IMO there are better things to do the job without making people think they are about to be involved in some swat team drama or a real life "Scarface" end battle. Not to mention, if you actually had to use it, the damage a gun like that could do to anything inadvertently behind a wall or what have you could be bad. Then again, it is Texas we are talking about, so this could just be normal everyday occurrence.

Kharn
07-16-2011, 5:00 PM
If you've ever handled an Uzi, you'd know why not. :p
(My SBR AR15s feel far lighter than my Uzi)

Anchors
07-16-2011, 5:48 PM
Would I OC a rifle? Maybe, I'm not opposed to it. You would be surprised how convenient being able to OC/CC whatever you want makes life.
You end up treating your guns like real property that you actually own! Putting them where ever and however you want. What a concept!
I saw a couple dudes OCing ARs in Arizona last time I was there. It was slung across the chest, not even around their back. And this was in the city. The college city actually (Tempe). Right next to a bar, pizza place, LA fitness, and liquor store. No one cared.

I probably wouldn't rock full camo, but I've thought about buying a ballistic vest. I would probably wear it under my clothes, but who am I to judge this guy?

He could also be replenishing his ammo supply on the way back from a hunting trip.
He might be wearing the vest because he doesn't trust other hunter's safety practices.
If I ever learn how to hunt and go hunting (which I hope to at some point), I don't see the harm in wearing a vest...
As for camo, a lot of guys wear full camo while they hunt.

But aside from that, we really need to get away from this "hunting"/"legitimate sporting purposes" language.
That is how the antis talk, we don't need a damn sporting purpose to own something. Otherwise only race car drivers would own vehicles capable of 200MPH+ and only monster truck driver would put a 20" lift kit on their trucks.

OC of long arms is not prohibited in Texas.

Nice. I thought it was OC of long guns too. Thank you for clearing that up. I still don't know why people always trumpet Texas as the land of gun-rights...they've got a long way to go.
Hell, even Arizona has a ways to go...

I like to compare their typed sentiments to their posted signatures for added entertainment.

:rofl2:
I just did that and it was great.
There are plenty of legitimate reasons this guy in OCing a rifle.

Well there you go, it isn't even in Texas. This guy could be in the military there for all we know. Some of those countries tend to have some pretty ragtag gear.
There are some real government militaries in the world that would give an arm and a leg to have some of the stuff people on this forum have in the closest/safe haha.