PDA

View Full Version : Which are the best OLL's to buy???

aileron
01-03-2007, 5:24 PM
Okay,

Which OLL's would you buy, and which would you stay away from.

I hear a lot of people say STAG is good, DPMS, etc, etc.

Are these forged, do some suck so bad you should run, Im about to buy three lowers to start off the new year, and get into this whole OLL thing, and want to make sure I dont buy a lemon of a lower.

Im interested in forged lowers not cast, and dont care for synthetics. Also want one or two types that are of mil-spec dimensions, etc.

And yes, I searched the forums for someone that asked this question already, but didnt find it. I might suck at searching. :(

rorschach
01-03-2007, 5:33 PM
DPMS is listed.

Any mil-spec lower SHOULD be good. Stag, Doublestar, CMMG, RRA, Mega, Lauer, LAR all seem to be favorites in these parts.

I have a Wilson Tactical, Spikes, and Noveske, and they seem to be OK as well.

I would stay away from Vulcan.

just4fun63
01-03-2007, 5:35 PM
mil-spec is mil-spec......I've got stag and RRA and have seen dozens they are all pretty much the same. honestly lowers just hold the parts together, it's all about the barrel/extention. I'm not trying to be flip; lowers are just not that big of a deal. ( other than they are "the gun")

6172crew
01-03-2007, 5:40 PM
Take a look at the sticky up top of 2nd ammend and look at xeno's list, then pick the flavor you like.

They are all pretty good and you cant go wrong with any of them imo.

tenpercentfirearms
01-03-2007, 5:54 PM
I wouldn't get a Vulcan nor an Essential Arms. That is just me. I collect them for their looks so here is my preference.

POF
Mega
LMT
CMMG
LAR MFG LAR-15
Spike's Tactical Infidel or Punisher
Sun Devil
Stag
DSA

Those are the ones I have and like. Again, this has nothing to do with price and everything to do with I just like the look of them.

gn3hz3ku1*
01-03-2007, 6:15 PM
if you dont care about looks.. its all the same..

Maddog5150
01-03-2007, 7:12 PM
anyone have a website for spikes?

nearsightednate
01-03-2007, 7:23 PM
anyone have a website for spikes?

I believe it is www.spikestactical.com

Nate

five.five-six
01-03-2007, 7:33 PM
I saw one at the gunshow last year stamped "infidel" in arabic big white letters... i shuld have bought it then

koiloco
01-03-2007, 7:48 PM
How much would u like to spend? :)

PIRATE14
01-03-2007, 8:29 PM
AAAAHHHH my favorite question comes up at least every two months....

Any lower that you get from CWS is the best to buy!!!!!!!!

LMAO:D

Maddog5150
01-03-2007, 9:54 PM
heh. I LOVE the punisher lower on spikes website. There isnt a price listing though for anything or if its available aftermarket.

nearsightednate
01-03-2007, 10:42 PM
I believe Metroshot has some of the Spikes with designs on the side. I don't know if he still has the Punisher skull receivers or not but he was selling the plain ones for $ 99 regularly and $ 89 on sale and the desings were $ 20 or $ 30 more. The Spike's are actually very nice for the money.

Nate

Maddog5150
01-03-2007, 11:03 PM
http://www.spikestactical.com/Product_Images/Rifles/IMG_3572.jpg

ha ha! I want one of those plates in the front! I need to find out who can make one or has one in stock lol!

kap
01-03-2007, 11:50 PM
One vote for Doublestar. The dragon logo is one of the best around. I don't think there is much of a difference aside from aesthetics though.

veeklog
01-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Last month I purchased two lowers, one Stag (pick-up is tomorrow) and one from Dane Armory. I purchased it at Gun Runners in Duarte, and it seems like a good quality mil-spec lower. It doesn't look any different than my pre-ban Armalite lower, except the stamping on the side. The lower was $199 USD, and I believe with tax and DROS it was $247 USD.

thmpr
01-04-2007, 7:37 AM
It will mainly be by your taste from now on since they do not have the power to list. For me, I am done!!!!

proraptor
01-04-2007, 7:38 AM
Cmmg

6172crew
01-04-2007, 7:41 AM
Cmmg

I hear the CMMG lowers are approved by Anahiem PD..?:confused: :D

proraptor
01-04-2007, 7:54 AM
I hear the CMMG lowers are approved by Anahiem PD..?:confused: :D

:D :cool:

sthornwall
01-04-2007, 7:58 AM
I am very happy with my two Stags and my Double Star.

CA SHOOTER
01-04-2007, 9:53 AM
Cmmg

+1 , mines sooo pretty :) .

TonyNorCal
01-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Well, I have nothing new to add:p but I'll echo what many of the others have said...

Anything forged and milspec should be good to go...so really after that it's just a matter of preference for the logo and shade of finish.

Stags are good, inexpensive, and the company has good customer service.

Megas are cool and I personally like the atom logo and waffle (gator they call it) grip.

Fultons are cool in that the shade is a bit lighter and flatter and the US Rifle stamp is nice.

Lauers also have a nice stamp and Lauer was one of the people sending lowers here by the bus load when many weren't willing to. If I didn't know any better I might even think that perhaps he enjoyed stickin' it to em just a lil lol.

Doublestars are nice.

DSA's are nice.

Those are the ones I've ordered

mltrading
01-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Whatever you can get and as long as you feel happy with it. That's the best OLL for you. (No matter it is carbon, He*** or V****n...)

Do some research, spend some money, build some rifles. Then you will know.:D

Aluisious
01-04-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm the only person I know with a "High Standard" lower.

HSA-15.

It holds all the bits in place all right. I'll see how it shoots soon. The finish isn't stellar but I'm not a huge stickler on that.

xrMike
01-04-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm the only person I know with a "High Standard" lower.

HSA-15.

It holds all the bits in place all right. I'll see how it shoots soon. The finish isn't stellar but I'm not a huge stickler on that.I gots me one of those too... It's a fine lower. A little chalky when new, but oiled up nicely.

rorschach
01-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Lauers also have a nice stamp and Lauer was one of the people sending lowers here by the bus load when many weren't willing to. If I didn't know any better I might even think that perhaps he enjoyed stickin' it to em just a lil lol.

Steve confirmed this to me in a phone conversation last April.:D