PDA

View Full Version : new ddr ak style rifles from IO for 2007

Q
01-03-2007, 3:58 PM
would you buy one of these?
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/akad1.jpg
they're supposed to be ddr clones. here are pics of the real ones.:eek: http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/1800/1851.htm

grammaton76
01-03-2007, 4:24 PM
The top one, no. No such thing as a "sniper" AK in my book, even if it pushes 308. I happen to like AK's, but if they're gonna do one in 308, then it makes more sense to push the same concept as the Vector V-51... short range 308 carbine for extra firepower. I wouldn't try and claim that the action is something it isn't (i.e. suited for a highly accurate sniper-style rifle).

The other two look nice, like they stretched out some RPK stocks.

So, I voted yes and no...

rssslvr
01-03-2007, 9:27 PM
I would go for the bottom 2

fal_762x51
01-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Grammaton, would you consider the Romak 3 a non-sniping rifle because of the use of the AK design?

grammaton76
01-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Grammaton, would you consider the Romak 3 a non-sniping rifle because of the use of the AK design?

Yep. The only thing that attracts me to the Romak at all, is the caliber... if I want accuracy, I'll look at a different type of rifle. It's definitely a step up from an AK, don't get me wrong. It just isn't a sniper rifle.

Gotta remember, the Romak is a step down from the SVD Dragunov, which is best described as an "area effect" sniper rifle. I can't remember where I read it, but the Dragunov was effective for sniping when used by a group of Dragunov shooters. You just don't do one-shot one-kill type shots with it - you do "Ok, guys, see that squad over there? We all start firing at once, and we should end up dropping most of them!"

To quote world.guns.ru (see http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn18-e.htm ):
SVD was designed not as a standart sniper rifle. In fact, main role of the SVD ir Soviet / Russian Army is to extend effective range of fire of every infantry squad up to 600 meters and to provide special fire support.

Considering that the Romak is a step down from something that was not designed as a standard sniper rifle, I would say that it definitely doesn't qualify.

The Romak is more comparable to the Yugo M76, also from world.guns.ru ( http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn65-e.htm ), which fires 8mm mauser and is also not regarded as a true "sniper" rifle.

While M76 is said to be effective up to 800 meters, it is more in line with so called "designated marksmen rifles" like Dragunov SVD, than with most of the western sniper rifles.

Maddog5150
01-04-2007, 2:02 AM
i tried going to that website but couldnt find those rifles. they should be cali compliant as long as they take the grip off and flash suppressor right?

fal_762x51
01-04-2007, 9:28 AM
I still disagree with you on the "sniper" subject, but I like how you stuck with you opinion (hard to find these days). The accuracy and reliability of the Romak 3 does the job for a semi, for anything short of a .50 BMG. I would say that yes, a bolt gun would be a more idealistic platform for a "sniping" rifle. Well to each his own.

sthornwall
01-04-2007, 2:10 PM
Not really a big fan of the AK style rifles, YET. The only thing that I can't stand about owning one in CA is if you want the pistol grip then you have to load through the ejection port. This is the way I have come to understand this. Correct me if I am wrong.

Q
01-04-2007, 2:25 PM
i tried going to that website but couldnt find those rifles. they should be cali compliant as long as they take the grip off and flash suppressor right?
that's an advertisment in the latest shotgun news newspaper. they're that new. i don't know anything about them. i wonder if the barrels are chromelined? i like the stg models. it's a good price and something different.
Not really a big fan of the AK style rifles, YET. The only thing that I can't stand about owning one in CA is if you want the pistol grip then you have to load through the ejection port. This is the way I have come to understand this. Correct me if I am wrong.
get a monsterman grip or a non-thumbstock.

Maddog5150
01-04-2007, 2:47 PM
LOL! I called that number and its a misprint! guess i should check out the site again to get the right number.

grammaton76
01-04-2007, 4:22 PM
Not really a big fan of the AK style rifles, YET. The only thing that I can't stand about owning one in CA is if you want the pistol grip then you have to load through the ejection port.

You can also strip off the dust cover, top-load, and reinsert it.

Or you could render it non-semi-auto, but this is really only practical when you build an AK. It's kinda blasphemous to do it to a pre-built one.

Or if Sal's "attachable/non-detachable-without-tool" AK mag lock takes off (posted elsewhere on calguns) then you could do that...

ask80
01-04-2007, 6:20 PM
i'd get anything I could get... those look nice.

SemiAutoSam
01-04-2007, 6:24 PM
I don't know about the rest of y'all but the only AK design rifle that I would ever want is a Nice Galil off list beauty and if it was legal a valmet.

I owned a Valmet a long time ago but at that time I wasn't into it at all and just turned it for a quick 500.00 profit.

TonyNorCal
01-04-2007, 6:29 PM
East/former Soviet Block militaries had a different view of what a 'sniper' was. They issued such rifles as the Dragunov SVD which aren't exactly bolt action accurate. Their idea was to employ many such equipped soldiers and like many things they did it's a little akin to quality over quantity....or perhaps better said as quantity has a quality all its own.

So what is sometimes called a 'sniper' rifle is really more of what we might consider a designated marksman's rifle.

Of course, they also field scoped/bolt action snipers...but I'm referring to such rifles as the SVD.

SmokinGun
01-04-2007, 6:33 PM

It is damn near impossible to load thru the ejection port. If you keep the grip and have a fixed mag, you have to remove the receiver cover, spring and bolt to load the mag. You are better off going gripless or MM grip with a detachable mag.

AK's are cheap and fun rifles to shoot, but now I want to get my hands on an AR...haven't been able to pony up the $1000 yet.

juha_teuvonnen
01-05-2007, 8:53 AM
Of course, they also field scoped/bolt action snipers...but I'm referring to such rifles as the SVD.

SVD is a semi-automatic rifle, not a bolt action rifle. While SVD looks somewhat similar to AK, it's a very different design. It's closer to SKS, than AK.

Russians used scoped M91/30 Mosin-Nagant bolt-action rifles until SVD was adopted, at which point the M91/30s were gradually retired. Sometimes russians call M91/30 sniper "SVM" (Snaiperskaya Vintovka Mosina). The first two letters are the same bacause it's russian for "Sniper Rifle". The last letter is the first letter of the designer's last name as in Mosin or Dragunov.

SVD is more accurate than M91/30 when used with soviet 7N1 light ball sniper round at distances of up to 600 meters. When fed with 200gr "Extra" made by Novosibirsk (stamped 88 or LVE, brass case - NOT bimetal), a well tuned M91/30 will likely be more accurate than SVD at longer ranges (600 meters and up).

BTW Russian spec for accuracy of a semi-auto sniper rifle is tighter than NATO spec. With the exception of really beat up ones, SVDs shoot better than russian spec requires them too. With SVD you are supposed to hit a 7.62x54R cartridge at 100 meters, and a russian matchbox (50 mm by 38 mm) at 300 meters, otherwise you won't graduate :) With M91/30 you were supposed to hit the stem of soviet standard-issue army spoon at 100 meters. The stem of the spoon is both wider and taller than a 7.62x54R cartridge.

SVD fits the bill just fine for the job that it was designed for. There are rifles out there that are way more accurate than SVD. Russian Dept. of Defence concluded that the extra accuracy was not justified by the downsides (slower rate of fire, higher weight) for a typical WWII-style infantry engagement. All soviet weapons were designed based on lessons learned in WWII.