View Full Version : A new DPMS rifle

01-03-2007, 3:41 PM
I've been online for quite awhile now and just cant find the exact answers I'm looking for. I recently recieved as a Christmas present a DPMS semi auto-matic M-4 style carbine from a family member that lives in Oklahoma. Do I need to register this weapon through a dealer to own it legally in CA?

01-03-2007, 3:46 PM
Check the lists at the CA DOJ website to make sure it isn't listed by receiver name and model as an AW. If it is, get rid of it pronto. There is no registration anymore, it would just be illegal.

If it isn't, then take off the evil features in SB 23 until you can get a mag lock kit for it. Pistol grip, collapsible stock, flash hiders, etc. An open mag well with those features is also illegal.

01-03-2007, 3:49 PM
Thanks alot man. Ill get on it.

01-03-2007, 4:15 PM
If the receiver IS listed, then your safest route is to order yourself an unlisted receiver, transfer all the parts over to it, and drive the receiver back to Oklahoma, where you can either return it to the giver or have it stored for you in safekeeping. Technically, they shouldn't have given it to you at all in Oklahoma if you're a Californian (interstate transfer of a gun without an FFL).