PDA

View Full Version : Please Remember SKS has Specific Penal Codes

stator
01-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Just a reminder to check out the Penal Code and read the sections for the SKS before modifying your SKS-type rifle. This is unlike other off-listed firearms that do not have specific Penal Code sections (like the Imbel FAL for one). So, do not please make assumptions. Read it, check it, and then modify accordingly.

I've not read it as I do not have any plans to modify my Yugo at this time. Hopefully, nothing is in there that will impede our progress... steamroll on!

bwiese
01-03-2007, 1:13 PM
Yes, there are codes addressing the SKS Sporter/SKS-D isssue. I believe there's some date limitations too.

The rifles we have been referring to on 1 Jan 07 are non-SKS Simonov rifles. (Yugo, Romy, Albanian..) That's why I've been such a stickler on terms.

I do think folks need to approach Chinese Simonov designs with extreme caution since some? all? may or may not be SKSes.

Q
01-03-2007, 1:47 PM
Just a reminder to check out the Penal Code and read the sections for the SKS before modifying your SKS-type rifle. This is unlike other off-listed firearms that do not have specific Penal Code sections (like the Imbel FAL for one). So, do not please make assumptions. Read it, check it, and then modify accordingly.

I've not read it as I do not have any plans to modify my Yugo at this time. Hopefully, nothing is in there that will impede our progress... steamroll on!

what does it say about the imbel fal?:confused:

bwiese
01-03-2007, 1:49 PM
what does it say about the imbel fal?:confused:

It doesn't say anything about it, as he said.

Stator was just cautioning that there's separate section in PC dealing with true SKS w/detachable magazine for the SKS Sporter fiasco.

Q
01-03-2007, 2:05 PM
ok:) i need to read more slowly. i thought i missed something good to know.

TonyNorCal
01-03-2007, 2:10 PM
+1 on probably needing to steer clear of the Chinese (although I am not 100% certain).

I am fairly certain that listed 'SKS with detachable mag' was intended to refer to Chinese SKSs as they're the ones that were available in detachable mag form (in a few variants). Of course, the DOJ being who they are they include managed to include Russians (probably by accident...fortuitous from their point of view) in saying 'SKS'.

I've never heard a Chinese SKS being referred to by a designation other than SKS....unlike Albanians and Yugos which do have different designations.

MaxQ
01-03-2007, 3:38 PM
PC section 12281 is the section specifically dealing with SKS rifles. Fortunately, 12281 (i) states:

Notwithstanding paragraph (11) of subdivision (a) of Section 12276, an "SKS rifle" under this section means all SKS rifles commonly referred to as "SKS Sporter" versions, manufactured to accept a detachable AK-47 magazine and imported into this state and sold by a licensed gun dealer, or otherwise lawfully possessed in this state by a resident of this state who is not a licensed gun dealer, between January 1, 1992, and December 19, 1997.

So, 12281 ONLY applies to SKS rifles manufactured to accept a detachable AK-47 magazine, that were in California between 1/1/92, and 12/19/97. Anyone purchasing or importing an SKS rifle after 12/19/97 can completely ignore 12281. You then only have to be concerned with 12276 (a) (11) SKS with detachable magazine, which brings us back to Bill's thread about the SKS vs. Simonov issue.

Here's something else to think about - 12281 (i) specifically says manufactured to accepet a detachable AK-47 magazine, it doesn't mention SKS rifles that accept a detachable non-AK-47 mag...

bwiese
01-03-2007, 4:13 PM
Here's something else to think about - 12281 (i) specifically says manufactured to accepet a detachable AK-47 magazine, it doesn't mention SKS rifles that accept a detachable non-AK-47 mag...

Beautiful catch, MaxQ.

triggerhappy
01-09-2007, 7:10 PM
But still those with fixed mags (originally equipped) cannot be converted to the detatchable SKS (duckbill mag) per federal regulation, right? Sec 922 R, yes?

What about the T-6 collapsible stock with the 10 rnd fixed mag (with integral pistol grip)? Just asking, as I cannot seem to find it using search...:)

hoffmang
01-09-2007, 7:48 PM
You do need to keep your Zastava compliant with the correct number of US parts per 922(r).

-Gene

M. Sage
01-09-2007, 7:49 PM
Whose invoices?

Import marks say SKS? Is "SKS" marked anywhere on the rifle?

mblat
01-09-2007, 7:57 PM
You do need to use keep your Zastava compliant with the correct number of US parts per 922(r).

-Gene

On that note:
I think somebody more knowledgeble than me should put “SKS 922R compliance list” together. Similar to the lists we have for AKs….
something like this:
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

bwiese
01-09-2007, 8:01 PM
invoices for the yugo 59/66 without gernade launcher says its an sks.most police officers know sks with detachable mag is illegal and thats its.in my opinion you'll go to jail and have to sort it out if you put any detachable mag in any sks or so called varient.i know a few cops not to mention one is my brother.they are aware of oll but would hook somebody up for an sks with detachable mag

Well, the invoice, or its use of colloquial terms, is irrelevant.

And we can't help what stupid cops do other than spread the word.

A Yugo M59 is just as 'off-list' as a Stag.

Crazed_SS
01-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Yea.. i need to examine my SKS, but IIRC it has some century arms laser etching that says "Yugo SKS 59/66" ..

Charliegone
01-09-2007, 11:15 PM
http://www.simonov.net/ubertypes.htm

Site about chinese sks..or type 56 carbines. Apparently the one I have is a m21 Type 56 carbine. It has no factory codes (like the triangle)

All it says is norinco china
CAI Vt

Charliegone
01-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Also, I found this while searching gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63499419

It doesn't seem very common. Most sks have the "56 weapon" in chinese characters on the side.

Mine is something like this, but with a bayonet.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63426683

Here is one that takes ak mags "model M"

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63361161

One with chinese characters "type 56"

mike100
01-10-2007, 7:55 AM
Reminds me of a passage in the CA penal code that gives more time for crimes committed with semi automatic guns vs. revolvers. And again the penalties increase even more when an AW is used.

I guess if you want to kill someone, use a baseball bat or an arrow or spear..you'll be back on the street in no time.

back on topic: always wanted to know how 922r and ca laws defines modified..like what if I took the bayonet off my yugo m59?...what if i machined off the bayonet lug? less evil, but technically modified?..

tygerpaw
01-10-2007, 12:50 PM
PC section 12281 is the section specifically dealing with SKS rifles. Fortunately, 12281 (i) states:

So, 12281 ONLY applies to SKS rifles manufactured to accept a detachable AK-47 magazine, that were in California between 1/1/92, and 12/19/97. Anyone purchasing or importing an SKS rifle after 12/19/97 can completely ignore 12281. You then only have to be concerned with 12276 (a) (11) SKS with detachable magazine, which brings us back to Bill's thread about the SKS vs. Simonov issue.

So I assume this means that you could not import a Chinese SKS Sporter with the magazine locked in, similiar to off list AK's? Or would it be ok?

MaxQ
01-10-2007, 4:30 PM
There doesn't seem to be any restriction on any originally manufactured fixed mag type SKS (Chinese or otherwise). On page 29 in the DOJ's AW ID Guide:

The SKS rifle was originally manufactured with a fixed 10 round magazine. However, modified versions accept detachable magazines and are assault weapons.

PC 12276 (a) (11) SKS w/detachable magazine and CCR 5495 Norinco SKS w/detachable magazine, seem to be the only SKS references outside of PC 12281. As far as I can tell, all of the other Chinese and Norinco models mentioned in AW regs refer to AK types.

I'd say that for now, you're safer staying away from any Chinese SKS originally manufactured for a detachable mag. Whether or not any method of affixing a mag on an SKS designed (or modified) to accept detachable mags really makes it a fixed mag, may be open to interpretation. Even though there is a strong parallel between SKS w/detachable mag and AR/AK series verbiage, Harrott protections only strictly apply to AR/AK series firearms. In light of Harrott, I think you'd win with a fixed mag SKS-D, but at what cost? Also, I'm not sure if an SKS mfg'd or modified to accept a detachable AK mag can have a fixed SKS type mag easily installed (anybody know for sure?). If you can only attach an AK mag, that leaves the method of attachment issue still open. Personally, I would only have an original type fixed mag on any rifle marked SKS.

Some Chinese SKS info:

Type 56 is the fixed mag SKS. The SKS-D, SKS-M, and MC 5D were the commercial SKS exports designed for a detachable AK-47 mag. Type 63, 68, 73, 81 and 84 were the military detachable AK-47 mag versions.

Kenshin
01-12-2007, 4:08 PM
So....wait. Any verdicts as of late?