PDA

View Full Version : A2 flash hider removal?

Aluisious
01-03-2007, 10:26 AM
I buried this question in a larger thread topic, but am curious about it so...

How does one remove an A2 flash hider from a barrel?

I'm still swinging back and forth between the OLL build options of MM grip/no flash hider and fixed mag.

JPglee1
01-03-2007, 10:29 AM
I buried this question in a larger thread topic, but am curious about it so...

How does one remove an A2 flash hider from a barrel?

I'm still swinging back and forth between the OLL build options of MM grip/no flash hider and fixed mag.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/Images/1570.jpg

Put a combo wrench on it and turn it counter clock wise. Clamp the BARREL in a barrel block, not the receiver.

Might need to use a little heat with a propane torch.

J

ocabj
01-03-2007, 10:30 AM
It's threaded on. If you're manly enough, just grasp the barrel with one hand and unscrew the flash hider with the other.

More likely than not, it's red loctited on. You could just use two strap wrenches in the above manner.

SemiAutoSam
01-03-2007, 10:31 AM
With a wrench that fits the flats on the hider.

Oh and it would come off a lot easier if the hand guards were removed and the barrel were in a vice with at least leather or better off barrel vice jaws to hold the barrel.

I realise its common sense but just in case someone had no thought of it.

DO not hold the barrel in a spot where its tapering from one diameter to another.

Aluisious
01-03-2007, 10:31 AM
So basically it just twists right off and on? That's good news.

Aluisious
01-03-2007, 10:33 AM
It's threaded on. If you're manly enough, just grasp the barrel with one hand and unscrew the flash hider with the other.

More likely than not, it's red loctited on. You could just use two strap wrenches in the above manner.
Oh good, I can test my manhood and make my rifle less attractive to grabby cops in one operation :p

SemiAutoSam
01-03-2007, 10:33 AM
If its an AR15 Style YES.

FAL'S are another story.

JPglee1
01-03-2007, 10:34 AM

Yah..I'll remove it for you for free if you're anywhere near Victorville.

I'll also buy it from you for $10.00 if you wanna sell it. My 20" upper is nekkid at the end. :D

J

ocabj
01-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Oh good, I can test my manhood and make my rifle less attractive to grabby cops in one operation :p

I don't think AR barrels without the flash hider look less attractive. I prefer my service rifle barrels without flash hiders, myself. I prefer the target crown and unthreaded muzzles.

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery/albums/woa_sr_upper/IMG_4440.sized.jpg

Aluisious
01-03-2007, 10:41 AM
If its an AR15 Style YES.

FAL'S are another story.
AR-15 20 inch upper with an A2 flash hider from the good folks at M&A Parts.

I went with the "classic A2" idea for my first build. I already have a Prince50 so maybe I'll just go with that and hope I don't end up on the wrong end of a grabby cop :p

Yes, I'm skittish. I wish I'd just got a Keltech. Damn xeno and his last minute sales pitch as I was leaving the store...

fairfaxjim
01-03-2007, 10:55 AM
AR-15 20 inch upper with an A2 flash hider from the good folks at M&A Parts.

I went with the "classic A2" idea for my first build. I already have a Prince50 so maybe I'll just go with that and hope I don't end up on the wrong end of a grabby cop :p

Yes, I'm skittish. I wish I'd just got a Keltech. Damn xeno and his last minute sales pitch as I was leaving the store...
Maybe not today, but everytime you shoot your AR you will thank xeno. How often do you get to be on point in a revolutionary happening? And you get a great rifle in the deal too.
As for the flash hider, it only counts if you want to go gripless (or Monsterman) and fully degachable mags. (hoffmang's bullet tip release will also be ok with all evil features.) You can also keep the "A2" look with one of the muzzle compensators that are styled after the A2 flash hider. I have a Branson A2 muzzle break on one of mine - they are available from Midway. Just be sure you get a new crush washer or peel washer with it.

alpha_romeo_XV
01-04-2007, 12:45 PM
I bought the $15 aluminum barrel vise block (DPMS) from Midway.com and also the foregrip retainer ring tool (makes getting fore grip on/off much easier) You need a solid vise, clamp the barrel real tight, then even with a 10" Cresent wrench it took some serious pull to get the original MB loose. So you got to have a least one threaded barrel to accessorize but crowned is the way to go for your match barrel.

Aluisious
01-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I ended up just putting it together with the Prince50 and I'm hoping for the best.

Good to know I have options in my configuration though!