PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 scope mounting questions.

Get Hard Art
07-13-2011, 3:01 PM
Hey there everyone, after months of trolling the site, I finally decided to join! So far, all my questions have been answered without me having to ask specifically. Alas, I come across a question that I could not find a simple answer to. As far as measurements on scopes, mounts, and rifles, I have no clue what I'm looking for so any help would be awesome. I'll list what I've come up with as what I "want" to mount on my rifle and any help/comments would be appreciated.

Have
Rifle: Remington 700 SPS .308 WIN (Still in waiting period :mad:)

Plan to get
Scope: Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16x44 Long Range Scope w/ Dead-Hold BDC Reticle (http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-optics-viper-hs-4-16x44-long-range-scope-w-dead-hold-bdc-reticle.html)
Mount: EGW Remington 700, 722, 40x Short Action Picatinny Rail Scope Mount 20MOA (http://www.egwguns.com/remington-700-722-40x/remington-700-722-40x-short-action-picatinny-rail-scope-mount/)
Rings: Burris Xtreme Tactical Picatinny Rail Low 1/4 Height 30mm Two Rings 420160 (http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-xtreme-tactical-30mm-rings.html)

My concern is that I am unsure if I can use the low rings and not have any clearance issues with the rifle and scope. I've ready similar articles but it was in the case of a 40mm scope, not a 44mm. The similar post was also for the Leupold and I'm not sure if its O.D. is different than the Vortex. The O.D. of the objective lens is 50.8mm according to Vortex Optics. Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance guys!

jcaoloveshine
07-13-2011, 3:13 PM
You probably wanna go with medium rings. Burris XTR are good solid rings though.

20MOA EGW base is solid.

I'd suggest a mil/mil scope to you. BDC reticles are usually slaved to a certain load (seems like the most popular load calibrated for BDC is 168/175gr match) so if you shoot any other load your BDC is pretty much useless. You'll notice BDC scopes are usually used for hunting where one common load is used and quick holdover is necessary, where a few inches of error still results in a dead animal. BDC is also used on some combat scopes tailored to a specific military load, eg ACOG sets its BDC marks for 55gr FMJ XM193.

For long range match shooting, you will probably want a stadiametric scope offering you more flexibility in loads.

Mil/mil, however, is probably the quickest system for tactical shooting.

All you gotta do is look through the scope, use the distance between mil hashmarks as a reference (stands for 1 mil) and adjust your scope according to that scale (scale is 0.1 mils per click). This means if you look through the scope and see that at 100 yards your shots are off by 1 mil (meaning the distance between two hashmarks represents the distance your shot is off by), you simply do 10 clicks.

You don't have to worry about converting inches to clicks, it's all mils. One simple standardized optical unit.

Either get mil/mil or moa/moa, don't mix your reticles. Having a mildot reticle with MOA clicks is kind of pointless, you end up having to do extra math in your head.

Also, hopefully your SPS is a heavy barrel or else after a couple shots you're gonna be stringing shots as the pencil barrel heats up. If it is an SPS, well, you could rebarrel it with a heavy Krieger/Bartlein/whatever you like. Long barrel is fine for long-distance shooting, but you can get to 1000 with shorter barrels (it has been done with a 18.5" GAP Gladius with a former Marine scout sniper behind the gun, youtube this). Perhaps the saved weight and increased handling may benefit you, or maybe you really want that extra push for velocity. Up to you, I personally opt for the lighter weight and better off-hand balance.

LOL, and i think you meant "trawling", not trolling. that would be a very very bad thing.

rero360
07-13-2011, 3:21 PM
you should be fine, the obj. lens of your scope will extend roughly 10.4mm or .409" below the portion of the ring that holds the scope. I don't have experience with that EGW base but unless its less than .159" in height and your barrel is the same diameter as your receiver you will be perfectly fine.

The only problem you may run into is the rail extending forward enough to interfere with the bell of the scope, but thats an easy fix if you have access to a dremel and are somewhat handy with it. i wouldn't worry about it though, I think you'll be fine.

khw9mm
07-13-2011, 3:24 PM
I think you should be able to go with low rings.

http://www.caprc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1457&p=19266#p19266

RugerNo1
07-13-2011, 3:24 PM
you should be fine, the obj. lens of your scope will extend roughly 10.4mm or .409" below the portion of the ring that holds the scope. I don't have experience with that EGW base but unless its less than .159" in height and your barrel is the same diameter as your receiver you will be perfectly fine.

The only problem you may run into is the rail extending forward enough to interfere with the bell of the scope, but thats an easy fix if you have access to a dremel and are somewhat handy with it. i wouldn't worry about it though, I think you'll be fine.

Let me expand on how we reach that number...

A little simple math and conversion is all that is needed to figure out what height scope rings are needed.

Take the 50.8mm (O.D.) and substract the 30mm maintube, then divide that number by 2 (50.8-30)/2=10.4. So, 10.4mm or about .409'' is the space from the O.D. of the objective to the bottom of the maintube. Thus, you would need rings of .410+ to clear a flat plane if the scope were to be sitting on such a surface.

The EGW link does not state a height on the mounting rail, but whatever that value is you can use to figure out the rest by mounting it on your rifle and seeing how much clearance you need. Take the clearance numbers you get from your rifle and mount and subtract those from the value in the previous paragraph. Get the rings that are closest to that number and you should be close.

Clear as mud, right? ;)

Get Hard Art
07-13-2011, 4:53 PM
Thanks for the clarification guys. Especially about "trolling". LOL.

I should have stated in my initial post that the rifle will mainly be used to shoot paper and steel targets. My range offers steel targets at 100-600 yards out. They also allow you to set paper target/frames up at 300 yards.

Like I said, I'm new to the sport but have read enough to know that you get what you pay for with optics, the problem is what I can pay for is at most $600. The Vortex scope was a good value to me as the magnification levels and objective lens size were great for the money. I've also read a few articles that put it up against the Leupold VX-3 and doing very well.

Which brings me to a semi-conclusion, Get the Vortex Viper without the BDC-reticle (V-plex) unless I plan to become a slave to a certain round, or rethink the scope choice. Thanks for the great replies guys. Anyhow, back to trolling... :stuart:

dedub
07-13-2011, 5:30 PM
I've got medium rings on my Remy 700 w/ Vortex PST scope, but could get away with low rings. In fact, I'll probably be getting low rings soon.

Someone much more experienced than me recommended that all my scopes be mil/mil with FFP. After shooting for a while, I'm really glad I took his advice. If you can't swing the $900 for the PST, check out BSA Tactical mil/mil 4-14x44mm, which has 1/10 Mil tactical knobs and a first focal MRAD reticle. Midway currently has it for $400, but I bought it on sale for $250 about a month ago. It's on my 22 right now, but I think would go the distance on my .308

NorCalAthlete
07-13-2011, 5:38 PM
I have a set of Burris XTRs for sale if you're interested...shoot me a PM.

OutlawDon
07-13-2011, 6:15 PM
Good basic but solid route with the choices.

I have the EGW 20MOA base and it's solid and well built for the price. The Vortex HS won't be available for a few more weeks. I'm actually looking at the same scope to replace the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 Mildot I have now. I actually like the BDC reticle for faster acquisition out to around 500 yards. It won't be dead on but close enough for faster engagements. Plus Vortex has a Long Range Ballistics Calculator so you can DOPE in exactly where it'll hit based on your loads. The Burris rings are a good choice too. As for the height, just go with a medium height so your head is not strain too low while shooting. Comfort needs be a be a main concern also.

CK_32
07-13-2011, 6:38 PM
LOok at bushnell elite tactical scopes GREAT scopes for the price. I love mine. It was just a temp scope until I could afford a night force but it's going to stay on my 700. Taken it out to 800 yards so far.

And stick with a 20 MOA base. Egw is good.

rero360
07-13-2011, 6:38 PM
Check out the Super Sniper line of scopes as well, they are First focal plane, mil/mil and are within your price range. I have an older one (I hear the newer ones are much better than the older ones) and I have no real complaints, the glass is darker (?) than my USO but you are also looking at a difference in Obj lens of 42mm to 58mm plus the one I have isn't mil/mil which makes things more complicated. Other than that its a good scope, been on a bolt .308, semi .223 and now a .22lr

jcaoloveshine
07-13-2011, 10:09 PM
If you decide to go against the BDC reticle and look towards a mil/mil reticle, here's some great options:

1. Millett TRS 1 4-16 mil/mil. Mine was $308 shipped from overstock.

2. Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP mil/mil, around $400. If you go on snipershide you can find them for like 300ish.

Of course these are variable scopes.

If you go the fixed route, you can get a Bushnell or Super Sniper 10x mil/mil.

Get Hard Art
07-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Just checking in to give a update with my scope dilemma. After reading several websites, I've decided to go the mil/mil route. With this being my first hunting rifle, I figured a super awesome scope wont really replace time on the range. My final choice went to the Millett TRS-1 (Thanks jcaoloveshine). At it's low cost and various options, I felt it would be the perfect mil/mil setup to learn on. It's price point also allows me to get the Harris bipod I wanted as well as the option to afford a Jewell trigger in the near future. I plan on using that scope until I can afford a sexier mil/mil like a NF, S&B, IOR, USO... Which will be a very long time... lol Thanks for the help guys.

rickster1269
07-21-2011, 4:07 PM
Heres mine with med rings 20 moa EGW base and a 50mm obj

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5277/5910158909_48a74da458_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52374800@N07/5910158909/)