PDA

View Full Version : Using slugs with a Remington 870 Express

Mister.E
07-13-2011, 12:27 PM
I have a 12 gauge 870 Express, 28" barrel that I want to fire slugs out of.

My understanding is that it has a modified choke and that I cannot fire slugs of out this. My noob question is how I can go about this?

Take the choke out, and use the same barrel without a choke?
Buy a smooth bore barrel?
Any other options?

I was thinking about buying a 18" barrel for home anyway, so one I can use 00 buck and slug would be ideal.

BigDogatPlay
07-13-2011, 12:36 PM
You can shoot rifled slugs through a modified choke, although I wouldn't shoot them through a tighter constriction than that.

Shooting slugs through a barrel equipped with choke tubes is, generally, not a good solution. Fixed chokes mo' bettah, but again you can do it. It's just not what I'd do.

Do not shoot the barrel without a choke tube installed. Doing so can quickly damage the threads.

If you have the $$$, you can get an 18 or 20 inch fixed choke barrel and be happy shooting slugs without worry. Those barrels are usually $150 or less.

AAShooter
07-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Let me try to address your post.

Based on your post, I am assuming you have a 28" barrel with screw-in chokes. I will further assume it is a smooth bore barrel typical on most shot guns. It sounds like it has a modified choke tube installed.

You can replace the choke tube with a different tube, say cylinder choke but do not fire the gun without a choke installed. You risk damaging the threads. I would expect your current configuration will have no problems with slugs. As well as bird and buck shot.

Since it sounds like you already have smooth bore barrel, I am not sure why you would need to buy one.

If you examine the bore of the barrel, it should be easy to confirm whether it is a rifled barrel or not.

mtptwo
07-13-2011, 12:52 PM
I shoot rifled slugs through my 870 EX with a modified choke tube installed all of the time. No issues.

aippi
07-13-2011, 12:54 PM
It is for sure a smooth bore 28" vent Rib bead sight Rem Choke barrel as no one makes a 28" rifled barrel for a Remington 870, thank goodness.

You can shoot slugs but make sure the Rem Choke tube is tight. If you want an 18.5" barrel, Remington factory new for $112 on sites like gun broker. You then have the HD barrel you want and can shoot anythng through it. If you want better accuracy with slugs get the 18.5" rifle sight I/C or modified barrel from $140 to $150 and you now have the pefect smooth bore slug barrel and an HD barrel in one.

Sicarius
07-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Modified is fine. IC is ideal...
Kevin

Mister.E
07-13-2011, 3:33 PM
Good info, thanks.

AAShooter
07-13-2011, 7:33 PM
It is for sure a smooth bore 28" vent Rib bead sight Rem Choke barrel as no one makes a 28" rifled barrel for a Remington 870, thank goodness.

You can shoot slugs but make sure the Rem Choke tube is tight. If you want an 18.5" barrel, Remington factory new for $112 on sites like gun broker. You then have the HD barrel you want and can shoot anythng through it. If you want better accuracy with slugs get the 18.5" rifle sight I/C or modified barrel from $140 to $150 and you now have the pefect smooth bore slug barrel and an HD barrel in one.

Great summary.