View Full Version : rules for 30 day wait between new (and used?) handguns

07-13-2011, 10:05 AM
I hadn't bought a firearm since the late 1990's so when I recently purchased a new handgun the rules absolutlely floored me, found out my lifetime bfsc card wasn't a lifetime card, utility bill proof of residency and so on. As far as handguns go the dealer here in town told me that the waiting period to purchase another new handgun started the day that my purchase was dros'ed, but I could purchase a used handgun such as one of his consignments or a private party used handgun and that the 30 day period didn't apply, BUT when I asked about buying a used handgun on calguns marketplace that would have to be shipped he said that the 30 day period DID apply if the used handgun was shipped to an ffl and not done ftf at an ffl. Is this correct? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me what difference it would make if the gun was shipped instead of a ftf transaction, it's a used gun all the same and if the 30 day wait doesn't apply to used then why would it matter if it's not ftf? I'm new to the forum and any info on this would be much appreciated, I saw some great stuff in the marketplace and really want to know if if what I was told is correct, thanks for your help.

07-13-2011, 10:11 AM
So far your FFL is correct. Gun laws, like most laws, often don't make sense when you compare one to another. A good place to start is to read through the CGF Wiki (top center of the page under the ad banner) :cool2:

07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
"both parties must be present" got it, thank you

07-13-2011, 10:26 AM
don't think of it as a "new vs. used" rule. The way the law reads is that you can only acquire 1 handgun (doesn't matter if it is new or used) though a dealer every 30 days, with limited exemptions. One such exemption is for private party transfers. the 30 day rule does not apply to them unless you are in the city of LA (city ordinance). cosignment purchases from the dealer are normally DROSed as a PPT, so they are exempt. Any shipped in purchase is not DROSed as a PPT, even if it comes from a private party, so they are not exemp.

07-13-2011, 12:51 PM
gotcha, I understand now, PPT being the key words, thanks for helping me make sense of a completely nonsensical law.

07-13-2011, 12:53 PM