PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep ammo in your safe

five.five-six
01-03-2007, 4:11 AM
I know that the price is going up but is it worth the space? it seems a midrange safe is about $50-$75 a cubic foot. also I wonder if in case of a fire, it can cause things to get a lot worse inside the safe?

sargenv
01-03-2007, 5:54 AM
My safe has barely enough room for the few firearms I have, if I wanted a safe for all my ammo, well.. that's what garages are for.

Vince

mike100
01-03-2007, 6:17 AM
Yes I do, but less than a 100 rounds. a few magazines are loaded. Last year I made an effort to move the bulk of it to another secure container for long term storage.

SemiAutoSam
01-03-2007, 7:48 AM
I have more than one safe.

I dont keep a bulk of ammo in my main safe but in its own safe that will hold about 20 cases of .308.

Scarecrow Repair
01-03-2007, 8:57 AM
I keep ammo in the safe so in case of fire, the volunteer fire fighters can have some peace of mind. It's supposed to be good for an hour of 1800F, and that ought to be enough. I value the firefighters over any and all of my guns.

sthornwall
01-03-2007, 9:21 AM
I don't have a safe yet so I keep my ammo in ammo cans. Hope to get a safe this year.

rips31
01-03-2007, 11:47 AM
my bulk ammo isn't in my safe, but i keep some loaded mags in the safe for 'just in case.'

grammaton76
01-03-2007, 12:55 PM
I only keep a few rounds in my safe - the expensive stuff.

Remember, outside of a well sealed container, rounds don't shoot off with deadly force in fire. They just sorta pop... no fragmentation that'd penetrate a firefighter's gear. I will however say that I don't know what something with LOADS of powder, such as 50bmg, would do...

NRAhighpowershooter
01-03-2007, 1:04 PM
Keep 40K rnds in a safe???? PULLEEESSSeeeee!!!! heheheheeee :D :cool:

flashhole
01-03-2007, 2:06 PM
I keep ammo in .50 and .30 cal ammo cans. I've had water, storage, and organizational problems in my garage. Well labeled ammo cans seem to do the trick. Additionally, ammo is much safer (in the case of a fire) in an ammo can. After all our gumit spent millions developing them.

Anyone out there an Insurance agent?

Are we violating our policies if we keep more than a specified amount of loaded ammo or gunpowder and primers in our houses?. What if there was a fire and later after the investigtion the insurance appraiser finds in the fire report that there was lots and lots of gunpowder, primers, and ammunition? Would they be able to deny a claim?

naimad
01-03-2007, 4:12 PM
I keep some ammo in the safe but bulk stuff in ammo cans in a knaack job box

MinorDMaverick
01-03-2007, 9:01 PM
I have a young cousin, which is the reason I bought a safe. It's a Sentry .....something, but it's DOJ approved. No ammo inside because there's no room.

DedEye
01-03-2007, 9:21 PM
No safe yet, but I plan on keeping ammo in it. Helps weigh the safe down more if you don't bolt it down.

Satex
01-04-2007, 9:06 AM
If you keep important documentation in your safe/rsc/lockbox you probably shouldn't keep anything to add fuel to the fire.

ivanimal
01-04-2007, 10:20 AM
I keep most of it in a fire file like this one.http://www.safetyfile.com/images/4-2157-2.jpg

scottj
01-05-2007, 9:43 AM
In the event of a fire having a lot of ammo in the safe can't be a good thing.

CSACANNONEER
01-05-2007, 10:04 AM
If I had a bank vault then, yes, I would. But, I don't have enough room as it is. I recently bought a NAA revolver and that took up all the spare room in my big safe. I guess it's time to get three more safes. One for new guns, one BIG one for ammo and one for powder. Should I get one for primers too?

SigShooter
01-05-2007, 1:51 PM
I keep my ammo in my first "gun safe" which is one of those small Sentry fire safes. I bought that when all I had was 1 pistol. Now the guns are in the big safe (which I believe is shrinking :eek: ) and the ammo safe sits on top of it.

five.five-six
01-07-2007, 12:14 AM
I keep ammo in the safe so in case of fire, the volunteer fire fighters can have some peace of mind. It's supposed to be good for an hour of 1800F, and that ought to be enough. I value the firefighters over any and all of my guns.

or:

I keep ammo in .50 and .30 cal ammo cans. I've had water, storage, and organizational problems in my garage. Well labeled ammo cans seem to do the trick. Additionally, ammo is much safer (in the case of a fire) in an ammo can. After all our gumit spent millions developing them.

I wonder which is better, I think this would be a good episode for myth busters

Scarecrow Repair
01-07-2007, 7:21 AM
I said I kept my ammo in the safe to make life better for the volunteer fire fighters, and I probably ought to explain that a bit.

The safe is rated at 140F for an hour in an 1800F fire, good enough for electronics. It has thick steel walls and no holes for power cords. My idea is that any fire in just my house ought to be out within an hour, so there is very little chance of the ammo cooking off and messing up the safe contents. If I left it in the cans, it would probably go off within minutes because the cans aren't much fire protection, and that's where the firefighters' safety come in.

I recognize that if the ammo does go off inside the safe, it would be ... interesting ... not only would it mess up everything else inside, but I would not be surprised if the safe kinda fell apart. It's thick and strong, but enough gas inside would overcome that, I think.

five.five-six
01-07-2007, 11:50 AM
I said I kept my ammo in the safe to make life better for the volunteer fire fighters, and I probably ought to explain that a bit.

The safe is rated at 140F for an hour in an 1800F fire, good enough for electronics. It has thick steel walls and no holes for power cords. My idea is that any fire in just my house ought to be out within an hour, so there is very little chance of the ammo cooking off and messing up the safe contents. If I left it in the cans, it would probably go off within minutes because the cans aren't much fire protection, and that's where the firefighters' safety come in.

I recognize that if the ammo does go off inside the safe, it would be ... interesting ... not only would it mess up everything else inside, but I would not be surprised if the safe kinda fell apart. It's thick and strong, but enough gas inside would overcome that, I think.

I was not calling b.s. on either of you... I just like watching myth busters blow stuff up :D

scorpucla
01-07-2007, 1:17 PM
I used to keep HP ammo in the safe, but ran out of room. You got me thinking, I guess I should try and break up my ammo and store it in different locations, but I'd hate to get a storage locker just for ammo.

01-07-2007, 4:06 PM
I hardly have enough room for more guns! I keep my ammo in GI ammo cans next to the safe.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-07-2007, 4:44 PM
I have a seperate safe just for ammo, but now I need another safe for guns. The first one is full :eek:

anyracoon
01-07-2007, 5:27 PM
I keep just enough loaded in mags for each pistol and rifle along with a bandoleer of 12 double 00 buck & 1 oz slugs for my 870 . The bed safe has loaded pistol and 2 spare mags ready to go.

icormba
01-07-2007, 6:03 PM
I was keeping my pistol ammo in the safe but I ran out of room. ;)
Now I just keep my lesser amounts of odd calibers in there.

Scarecrow Repair
01-07-2007, 7:25 PM
I was not calling b.s. on either of you... I just like watching myth busters blow stuff up :D
I know that! I only have a few thousand rounds, they don't take up so much room that I need to put them elsewhere. But I would like a bigger safe :-)

It would be interesting to know what would happen if the ammo cooked off. It would also be interesting to know what internal temperature it takes to cook off and for how long.

hitnrun
04-05-2007, 6:10 AM
I just picked up one of these from Sam's Club for my ammo storage woes...

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0004476712458_LG.jpg

Specs:

*Jumbo Storage Cabinet 48"x24"x78"
* Heavy-gauge welded steel throughout for maximum rigidity and trouble free performance for heavy loads
* Three-point locking system for security
* Durable powder-coat finish in colors that blend into any office environment

In store, I got it for $150 and it fits right next to my safe.

Citadelgrad87
04-05-2007, 8:50 AM
As others have said, when I first bought my safe, sure I kept ammo in there.

Now, well, the short answer is "no."

Directshot
04-05-2007, 9:05 AM
Only a couple loaded mags. My thought is on the fire issue.... don't want the ammo going of and messing up what few guns I have or the documents that I also store in that safe. I have lockable ammo lockers and another safe dedicated to the ammo storage.

grammaton76
04-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Yep. Really, you don't want ammo in your safe anyway. If there's a fire and it gets hot enough to cook off, your safe becomes a nice big pipe bomb. Ammo burning on its own will pop, but it won't actually produce dangerous levels of fragmentation. Unless, of course, you happen to be looking straight at it or something...

DIG
04-05-2007, 2:03 PM
all the expensive stuff (that I have room for) stays in the safe. The plinker cr@p stays in the closet.

caseselfloather
04-10-2007, 3:28 AM
all the ammo i keep in my safe is a couple loaded mags and about a little more than a tube's worth of 00 buck for the shotgun. the cache lives in a cabinet.

sorensen440
04-10-2007, 9:35 PM
I keep my ammo mostly in ammocans or stacked in a very unorganized pile next to my reloading stuff

theholsterstorecom
04-11-2007, 8:56 AM
kids kids kids and more kids.... ammo is in the safe.... most of it. i have 2 safes though.... big winchester ones

///D
04-11-2007, 3:22 PM
I do as well..not in bulk, maybe around 500-1000rds here and there per caliber. Plus it looks cool when organized properly.

norm113
05-20-2010, 8:21 PM
We bought a gun safe 3-4 years ago. Thier is no room for ammo as the safe is full of rifles!

Norm

joelogic
05-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Nice necro. You bought your safe when this thread was started.

bsg
05-20-2010, 11:40 PM
i keep some ammo in the safe.

Federalist
05-21-2010, 9:24 AM
Only keep loaded mags in the safe.

As for the rest, it lives in ammo cans and unopened cases. I am in the process of building some shelving to store my ammo. Based on my simple calculations, a few full .50 cal ammo cans (or unopened cases) are going to bend or break most of the common shelving units out there. Besides, I will be able to add simple doors (and a lock) to keep it a bit more out of sight (and keep honest people honest).

ShootinMedic
05-21-2010, 9:27 AM
Yes, but only because there are a lot of vacant lots :(

TabooAR
05-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Nice necro. You bought your safe when this thread was started.

ROFL! :rofl:

Whatever is in the mags is in the safe + ~1k .223 rounds that will be in an ammo can when I am done welding the lock tabs on. FWIW I know the tabs can come off with a big enough pry bar or hammer but it will slow 'em down - Just like the safe.

turbogg
05-21-2010, 9:04 PM
Anyone out there an Insurance agent?

Are we violating our policies if we keep more than a specified amount of loaded ammo or gunpowder and primers in our houses?. What if there was a fire and later after the investigtion the insurance appraiser finds in the fire report that there was lots and lots of gunpowder, primers, and ammunition? Would they be able to deny a claim?

Great question! Anyone know the answer to this?

Gio
05-21-2010, 9:07 PM
This is the second 3 year old thread he has resurrected :eek:

incredablehefey
05-21-2010, 9:58 PM
yes i keep most of my ammo in it... but i think i have more room than most.
and if anyone is looking to purchase a large American made safe 72"x60"x28" 100 Min Fireproof, in so cal i can tell you how and where to get one for cheep(>$2500), this is not an advertisement, i have nothing to gain, i just know of a factory that is selling them at a low cost

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3663/1005492n.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/i/1005492n.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

weezil_boi
05-21-2010, 10:52 PM
I keep most of it in a fire file like this one.http://www.safetyfile.com/images/4-2157-2.jpg

+1 ... three of these babies, ammoboxees and crates in the garage = :)

i just keep the loaded mags in the safe.

duckman1
05-22-2010, 6:17 AM
No reason the insurance company should give you a hard time after a fire. You may run into a limit on what they will pay as most policies have a sublimit for firearms and their accessories. If you have not read the sublimit portion of your policies you should do so, most policies have a sublimit for theft of firearms, many adjusters missuse the theft limit. If you have more than $1000 in firearms and acc. you should consider scheduling your property, it's cheap and includes mysterious disappearance.

Rule .308
05-22-2010, 6:58 AM
Got 4 safes, could use 2-3 more, who's got room for ammo in the safe?

kazman
05-22-2010, 9:57 AM
Voted yes because I keep some ammo in the safe. Mostly jhps and premium stuff. But don't have enough room to keep all the target ammo in the safe.

oddjob
05-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Like others here have said.....nope....no room for my guns let alone ammo. Its all in the garage on a 72" x 72" metal shelf from Lowe's.

turbogg
05-22-2010, 1:33 PM
No reason the insurance company should give you a hard time after a fire. You may run into a limit on what they will pay as most policies have a sublimit for firearms and their accessories. If you have not read the sublimit portion of your policies you should do so, most policies have a sublimit for theft of firearms, many adjusters missuse the theft limit. If you have more than $1000 in firearms and acc. you should consider scheduling your property, it's cheap and includes mysterious disappearance.

Thanks! I'll look into that.

q3131a
06-20-2010, 6:40 PM
Too much ammo to keep in a safe.

shoupdawg
06-20-2010, 8:38 PM

Me 3. I've got a second one that's even wider and shorter. That was a heavy sucker. Got both free of Craigslist though.

Beatone
06-20-2010, 8:42 PM
Too much to keep in my safes.

RickD6023
06-21-2010, 6:37 AM
Sure - keep my handguns loaded and a spare mag for each. The bulk of my ammo is kept in ammo cans in a cool dry location.

BigDogatPlay
06-21-2010, 9:35 AM
I also keep some loaded mags and speedloaders in the safe. Otherwise I use GI ammo cans stored under the bench in the garage. Those have been proven to contain ammo in a fire just fine.

Kaluban Cloak
06-21-2010, 4:30 PM
As matter of perspective, I keep enough ammo in my safe, to allow me to fight my way to another location with a bigger cache. That means, I don't have ammo for all the platforms in the safe. Just whatever I may need to fight my way through. In survival situations, the more you carry, the heavier your burden will be. It is not like I expect to see a battalion of "stinkies" breaking in (or plan to shoot IPSC for that matter), therefore, I plan for a certain feasible scenario or threat level. I have over a dozen CCTV monitoring 24/7 and I see everything around me.

If things get worse, then I may have to bug out and leave the premises of my domicile. In that respect, I have active shooter kits for all my platform. I have a "go bag" that gets inspected on specific intervals. There is relatively enough ammo and other stuff there to allow me to bee-line to another location. I have places which will also have a cache. They are distributed to allow me to go from one to another (to include Arizona and Nevada border towns), without having to be overloaded. All my cache are hermetically sealed to protect it from the elements. I keep no more than 1K ammo of any type for any platform I have in my house.

Ammo will not keep us alive, there are a full compliment of stuff we need to survive. Ammo is probably the least I will carry. I am a trained long range rifle guy, but in times of crisis, I will not engage unless I have no choice. I will evade and not shoot unless necessary. Avoidance is the best defense - stay low.

Ding126
06-21-2010, 8:09 PM
Everything's in the safe

Sunday
06-22-2010, 9:19 AM
A safe is a safe place to keep ammo . The safe should contain any problems if there is a fire.

Sunday
06-22-2010, 9:29 AM
As matter of perspective, I keep enough ammo in my safe, to allow me to fight my way to another location with a bigger cache. That means, I don't have ammo for all the platforms in the safe. Just whatever I may need to fight my way through. In survival situations, the more you carry, the heavier your burden will be. It is not like I expect to see a battalion of "stinkies" breaking in (or plan to shoot IPSC for that matter), therefore, I plan for a certain feasible scenario or threat level. I have over a dozen CCTV monitoring 24/7 and I see everything around me.

If things get worse, then I may have to bug out and leave the premises of my domicile. In that respect, I have active shooter kits for all my platform. I have a "go bag" that gets inspected on specific intervals. There is relatively enough ammo and other stuff there to allow me to bee-line to another location. I have places which will also have a cache. They are distributed to allow me to go from one to another (to include Arizona and Nevada border towns), without having to be overloaded. All my cache are hermetically sealed to protect it from the elements. I keep no more than 1K ammo of any type for any platform I have in my house.

Ammo will not keep us alive, there are a full compliment of stuff we need to survive. Ammo is probably the least I will carry. I am a trained long range rifle guy, but in times of crisis, I will not engage unless I have no choice. I will evade and not shoot unless necessary. Avoidance is the best defense - stay low.

Who are you planning to fight?

DVSmith
06-22-2010, 9:31 AM
Guns in the bucks up safe, ammo in the cheaper but still secure safe. I don't keep any loaded magazines or guns in the house. Too many teenagers around. Don't get me wrong, I trust each and every one of them... to be teenagers! :43:

user name
06-27-2010, 3:07 PM
If you keep important documentation in your safe/rsc/lockbox you probably shouldn't keep anything to add fuel to the fire.

did you read fahrenhite 454? paper ignites at 454 degrees.

In the M14 Army manual that came with my M1A it warns of ammo cooking off at 450 degrees.

I have some in the safe, some in a garden shed, some in the garage, some at work! (I'm the boss)

yasushi
06-27-2010, 9:03 PM
I barely have enough space for my guns and parts in the safe. All of my ammo are stored in ammo cans and stashed in the nice dry storage container.

billped
06-27-2010, 9:11 PM
did you read fahrenhite 454? paper ignites at 454 degrees.

Is that Bradbury's sequel? :)

The book is "Fahrenheit 451".

Bill

user name
06-27-2010, 9:46 PM
Is that Bradbury's sequel? :)

The book is "Fahrenheit 451".

Bill

well, it's been close to 30 years ago... **** I'm OLD!