View Full Version : shooting on property...help?

07-12-2011, 8:09 PM
Hey Calgun leos and other more knowledgeable CGers, I own 4 acres in Jamul, CA 91935 and am wondering what the rules are for shooting on the property. From some research on this site I've gathered that in some counties of San Diego the rule is 150 yards between shooting point and other houses. First off, is this true? And if so does it include your own house and what regulations there are
Cause I know there has to be more then that? I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not but any help would be appreciated!

07-12-2011, 8:27 PM
Are you inside the city limits? I belive, but dont quote me, that as long as you are 500ft from an occupied dwelling and 150ft from a road that it should be legal. I used to shoot on 3 acres and never had an issue. Best of luck.

07-12-2011, 8:30 PM
City limits are the main thing. As mentioned, distance from roadways and occupied dwellings matters.

07-12-2011, 8:32 PM
Here's the regulations:

(a) Other than in defense of person it shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle or any other firearm or device fired or discharged with explosives, at any place within the unincorporated territory of the County which is not a reasonably safe distance from all recreational areas, communities, roads or any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection therewith except on and pursuant to the safety regulations of a shooting range established and operated pursuant to a permit issued by the Sheriff.

(b) For purposes of this section, 150 yards or less is not a reasonably safe distance from any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection therewith unless the person discharging the firearm or device is the owner, person in possession of the premises or a person having the express permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises.

Be aware however that there is an excepted area described in about 10,000 surveyor descriptions where shooting is prohibited. Your best bet is to go to the Alpine substation and ask if your place is in the prohibited zone.

07-12-2011, 8:48 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! Tallship, good call on the Alpine substation, as Jamul doesn't have one and I was wondering which one to call

07-13-2011, 1:01 AM
Sucks having to ask that question...

Show up to the Murphy's meet...it sounds like a good time. Look up "Oaklander" and ask about it.

Stay safe...