PDA

View Full Version : 50BMG on AR lower, non-rifle

diddler
01-02-2007, 8:38 PM
All,

I'm re-posting my query from the existing 50BMG thread, I'm afraid it might have fallen through the cracks.

We could buy a .50 reciever (or AR lower and .50 upper) and as long as it is NOT assembled into a shoulder firing rifle, then it is legal?

Edit: At your second post, I'd say no. Those recievers are DROSed as rifles.

Ok, is there a way to send an AR style lower receiver through the DROS process so it isn't registered as either a pistol or a rifle?

What is the firearm "type" used when transfering something like an Ma Deuce, or a 1919, or any of the other non-rifles? Is there any reason you couldn't ask that the transfer of the AR lower be done using that instead of rifle or pistol?

For now, I would be a tad cautious in acquiring/building a 50BMG non-rifle firearm from a platform intended for a rifle and having spare rifle (stock) parts around.

What if you permanently modified the receiver so it couldn't accept a stock? Weld a plug into the stock hole on the receiver? I'm looking at some of the 50 BMG bolt action uppers out there, (such as the Ferret50) that don't make use of a buffer tube, so there's no need to fill that hole with a stock. Just build it up, mount the whole sucker on a tripod.

Almost seems like this could work!

Hopi
01-02-2007, 8:48 PM
Here are your grips, and bipod adaptor. This build could land you about $5K less than the ma deuce!

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/New%20Products.htm

M. Sage
01-02-2007, 8:54 PM
Wow, I'm still in shock that I got quoted as a source. Go me! :D

I'm really far from an expert (though apparently nobody who IS contradicted me on the above, so I was right once), but it seems like starting with an 80% would be the best way to go? Make sure there's nowhere to attach a grip or anything. It still might be riding too close to the edge, though.

CALI-gula
01-02-2007, 8:54 PM
There are some really good ideas being brought up, but I wonder if a good many wild ideas will come up over the next few days which are way outside logical boundaries. Creative yes, and good hypothetical fun, but be careful as accepting as "hey, we can do this with no repercussions".

I'm with the "crew-operated" non-rifle idea, as well as the coughing death of Roberti-Roos items if using a sealed-mag-well, even the non-SKS "Simonov influenced" rifles using detachable mags idea, and on board with a few others.

But.... I would not attempt to take an AR receiver and try to DROS it as something other than long-gun, just to make a .50BMG "thing". I am not even sure if any dealers could do that for you considering how the manufacturer might have logged it? Maybe an 80% receiver build out of state, but man, how do you classify it to CA DOJ?

Second, try to remember that AB-50 is about banning rifles that chamber the .50BMG cartridge. No matter how you build it, or mount it, I am betting ATF/DOJ will determine your spade-grip-trigger operated, tripod attached AR with ALS upper is a "rifle" even though altered.

Seriously, and within a more reasonable approach, you would do better off and probably save a lot of hassle and money simply buying a Serbu, Viper, EDM or other big-bore rifle chambered for the .50DTC. The balistics of the two cartridges are so close, and the .50DTC so easily created, it's a much better option, on your sanity and wallet.

JPglee1
01-02-2007, 9:12 PM
Seriously, and within a more reasonable approach, you would do better off and probably save a lot of hassle and money simply buying a Serbu, Viper, EDM or other big-bore rifle chambered for the .50DTC. The balistics of the two cartridges are so close, and the .50DTC so easily created, it's a much better option, on your sanity and wallet.

Or, have a standard .50BMG upper short-chambered .10" and have the face of the bolt shrunk .10" with an insert, then turn .10" off the neck and head of the .50BMG cartridge.

This would be easy to do IMHO, and super cheap as brass is made from regular BMG brass, and would be easy to turn down.

I wanna see someone build a Kali-50 using the .50 Spotter round.

J

50 Shooter
01-02-2007, 9:36 PM
JP,
You can get an Ultralite 50 upper that's chambered for the 50 spotter right now.

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/ul50rpt.htm

JPglee1
01-02-2007, 9:38 PM
Slick :D

J

shooterx10
01-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Here is a pic of some .50 caliber variant rounds thanks to Mr. Kubota:

http://image2.frappr.com/pix2/i/20060815/0/c/1/0c1a5d0976ce729036fd34e51a7f66a10_large.jpg

Another comes to mind and that is the .50ALS by Advanced Long Range Systems (www.50bmg.net).