PDA

View Full Version : Legality of carrying a folding Karambit

IDPA4U
07-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Recently I have been educated on what a handy "tool" a folding karambit can be. Low and behold the Emerson Folding Combat Karambit is even under 3" so it could be "open carried" (exposed pocket clip)even in LA. Now my question is other than a LEO questioning why you would need such a tool is there any reason it would be illegal? My main concern would be the ring being considered a single brass knuckle. Is there any case law on this?

Thanks in advance

Flopper
07-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Per CA law it SHOULD be legal since it's a folder, but yes I wouldn't mess around with it because of that ring which could get you in trouble as some type of brass knuckles.

I'd just get one of these: http://www.ltspecpro.com/products/114-rajah-2-folding-knife.aspx

It's the most bad@ss blade I've ever owned and it's also surprisingly concealable.

PS-also make sure to check local municipality knife laws since there is a patchwork of knife laws from city to city and county to county.

wash
07-12-2011, 1:08 PM
I would be a little cautious of the ring on a Karambit.

I don't see a lot of utility to it either.

If you like Asian martial arts, a Pikal knife might be good for you. Spyderco made a folder with a wave stud thing to open it when drawn from your pocket. I'm not sure if they still make them but I know you can find one if you look hard enough.

I think a Pikal probably has more utility than a Karambit but it's a reverse edge so it will take a little getting used to.

If you can open carry, some fixed blade Pikals are so small and discrete that they blend in to your belt. They can be super light too.

neomedic
07-16-2015, 3:25 PM
BUMP for any new updates or links to penal code as to legality of karambits.

durandal
07-16-2015, 3:42 PM
a trench knife is illegal, right? it has four finger holes. a karambit has one. I think it fits the definition of brass knuckles. It's pretty wide and open to abuse.

BlueRidge62
07-17-2015, 7:02 AM
If it can protect your fist or knuckles while striking. Some cops and more important some prosecutors will see it as "brass knuckles". That term now descripes other objects besides just the classic knuckles.

Remember you are in Californai :)

If i can find the law that talks about this i will post it later

BlueRidge62
07-17-2015, 7:07 AM
This may help..

16920. As used in this part, "metal knuckles" means any device or
instrument made wholly or partially of metal that is worn for
purposes of offense or defense in or on the hand and that either
protects the wearer's hand while striking a blow or increases the
force of impact from the blow or injury to the individual receiving
the blow. The metal contained in the device may help support the hand
or fist, provide a shield to protect it, or consist of projections
or studs which would contact the individual receiving a blow.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=16001-17000&file=16100-17360

Also the " whole or part metal" stuff was re- written to now included almost anything.

mnichols
07-17-2015, 7:06 PM
My thought is that anything in a grey area can and will be used against you to maximum effect in a court of law.

Especially in california.

viet4lifeOC
07-17-2015, 8:03 PM
This may help..

16920. As used in this part, "metal knuckles" means any device or
instrument made wholly or partially of metal that is worn for
purposes of offense or defense in or on the hand and that either
protects the wearer's hand while striking a blow or increases the
force of impact from the blow or injury to the individual receiving
the blow. The metal contained in the device may help support the hand
or fist, provide a shield to protect it, or consist of projections
or studs which would contact the individual receiving a blow.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=16001-17000&file=16100-17360

Also the " whole or part metal" stuff was re- written to now included almost anything.

Not arguing but wouldn't this definition also cover any knife because you can use the extended back end as a blunt weapon. It protects the users hand and inflict damage?

This definition alone puts every knife in the grey no? For example a knife with a glass breaker at the end. Can be used too strike while protecting your hand.

anthonyca
07-17-2015, 10:32 PM
Thanks for starting the thread. I have wondered about this also and is why I don't carry a knife with a ring even though I would really like to.

wpod
07-17-2015, 10:43 PM
I thought the ring was for a lanyard. My finger doesn't fit in the ring (when used correctly)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

anthonyca
07-19-2015, 7:00 AM
Does anyone have any more info or case law?

Everyone on Calguns should be a member of Kniferights. http://kniferights.org/

anthonyca
08-02-2015, 7:01 PM
Any info on the legality of a Karambit or other "ring feature" knife?

Cokebottle
08-02-2015, 8:16 PM
Including many common motorcycle gloves.

I'm surprised they have left "metal" in the code.

Eirerogue
08-02-2015, 8:55 PM
I've carried an Emerson Karambit daily for years in CA and now NV. I've never considered the finger hole as a knuckle. it is designed to be drawn front or backhanded and the ring faciliates grip. I see no reason for an issue.

It's excellent for basic utility use and I'd encourage you to view some videos on karambit deployment and tactics. Practicepresentation and basic moved. It's great.

ke6guj
08-02-2015, 9:08 PM
Including many common motorcycle gloves.

I'm surprised they have left "metal" in the code.
they left "metal" in that section of the code because they added this,

21710. Any person in this state who possesses, commercially
manufactures or causes to be commercially manufactured, or who
knowingly imports into the state for commercial sale, keeps for
commercial sale, or offers or exposes for commercial sale, any
composite knuckles or hard wooden knuckles is guilty of a
misdemeanor.
and that pretty means that "knuckles" of any material are covered.

Cokebottle
08-03-2015, 6:41 PM
they left "metal" in that section of the code because they added this,
21710. Any person in this state who possesses, commercially
manufactures or causes to be commercially manufactured, or who
knowingly imports into the state for commercial sale, keeps for
commercial sale, or offers or exposes for commercial sale, any
composite knuckles or hard wooden knuckles is guilty of a
misdemeanor.and that pretty means that "knuckles" of any material are covered.
When was the last time DOJ paid a visit to any motorcycle dealer in the state?

anthonyca
08-03-2015, 11:01 PM
I've carried an Emerson Karambit daily for years in CA and now NV. I've never considered the finger hole as a knuckle. it is designed to be drawn front or backhanded and the ring faciliates grip. I see no reason for an issue.

It's excellent for basic utility use and I'd encourage you to view some videos on karambit deployment and tactics. Practicepresentation and basic moved. It's great.

Do you have any case law or other evidence that show that the government sees it the same as you?