PDA

View Full Version : please contact Lassen County News

Manolito
07-12-2011, 11:20 AM
http://lassennews.com/home/6990-antelope-lake-shooter-faces-murder-charge
As you can see in the article the reporter found it necessary to talk about the assualt rifle and it being illegal.
If you have the time a note to the editor asking them to research what makes the weapon legal or illegal and printing the findings in the next edition of their paper.
Thanks
Bill

choprzrul
07-12-2011, 12:21 PM
And if that had been a police officer responding to a robbery, and that car load had turned and driven straight at the officer, the shooting would have been totally justified and unquestioned. Those 6 had already demonstrated their willingness to engage in felonious acts and then decided to use their vehicle to attack that fellow. The quickest way to mitigate the risk of being run down by the vehicle was to incapacitate the vehicle's driver. Unfortunate that he died.

I am hoping that the EBR was legally configured.

Flintlock Tom
07-12-2011, 12:41 PM
I got a little different impression from the article.
The article reports that the robbery victim chased the thieves firing at them from his truck and when they did a u-turn and drove past him he fired into the car as it passed. It seems, if the article is correct, he was never in danger of being "run down."
Some punks were stealing "solar lights" ($8 at Wal-Mart?) and when they were caught they ran away.
Shoot and kill them or give the police their license number?
Only my opinion, but this guy exhibited very poor judgement.

gun toting monkeyboy
07-12-2011, 12:46 PM
He sounds like a nut job. But that doesn't make his actions illegal. Not the brightest thing to do, but not illegal based on what was in the story. And while there is no evidence that the bad guys had guns, the could have easily ditched them. And whether or not they had them is moot. If the nutjob doing the shooting reasonably thought they might have them, he would have justification to use a firearm in response. Correct? And my question is why haven't the other 5 guys also been charged with murder as well? They were commiting the felony when their companion was killed.

Liberty1
07-12-2011, 12:46 PM
You want to live the solitary life, don't involve the police. Poor guy just wanted to be left alone off the grid.

Thieves should have their necks stretched!!!

paul0660
07-12-2011, 1:00 PM
As you can see in the article the reporter found it necessary to talk about the assualt rifle and it being illegal.
If you have the time a note to the editor asking them to research what makes the weapon legal or illegal and printing the findings in the next edition of their paper.
Thanks
Bill

Charged with it.........dunno why the reporter shouldn't mention it. May or may not be true, but that will come out in the wash.

The fellow will have a good time with his buddies in jail.

TRICKSTER
07-12-2011, 1:21 PM
Interesting case, poor judgement on the part of the Ranger. Stealing solar lights is not a felony unless the value is over $950. Get the plate and description and phone it in.
Hopefully they did gunshot residue test on all of the vehicle's occupants. As GTMB stated, they could have easily ditched a gun. As the story states, if they fired at him, it changes the entire case.

macadamizer
07-12-2011, 1:40 PM
He sounds like a nut job. But that doesn't make his actions illegal. Not the brightest thing to do, but not illegal based on what was in the story. And while there is no evidence that the bad guys had guns, the could have easily ditched them. And whether or not they had them is moot. If the nutjob doing the shooting reasonably thought they might have them, he would have justification to use a firearm in response. Correct? And my question is why haven't the other 5 guys also been charged with murder as well? They were commiting the felony when their companion was killed.

Not exactly. It's not whether or not the nutjob would reasonably think he was justified, but rather would a reasonable person in the same situation think the actions were justified.

It's pretty clear the person doing the shooting thought he was justified -- he did the shooting, after all!

kmca
07-12-2011, 2:05 PM
Thanks
Bill

Possession of an illegal assault weapon was one of the charges, so it's fair game. It's possible that it was an assault weapon, the article said he is a resident of Nevada.

nicki
07-12-2011, 2:06 PM
Like it or not, we have "bad gun owners" and they taint all of us.

From the way the article was written, this one will go to court. Strange things do happen in the courts though.:eek:

Nicki

BigDogatPlay
07-12-2011, 3:13 PM
At the bottom of the article.....

The sign reads: WARNING YOU ARE ENTERING THE R.O.C. This is a restricted area. Only Red Blooded Patriotic Christian Americans Are Authorized For Access Upon Approval And Verification Of Credentials By The Commanding Authority. The Use Of Deadly Force Is Authorized For Use On Those Found In Non-Compliance With Above.

If that is actually at the entrance to his property, law abiding gun owners may need to consider distancing themselves from this guy.

gun toting monkeyboy
07-12-2011, 4:55 PM
Not exactly. It's not whether or not the nutjob would reasonably think he was justified, but rather would a reasonable person in the same situation think the actions were justified.

It's pretty clear the person doing the shooting thought he was justified -- he did the shooting, after all!

I should have phrased that better. If a reasonable person in the nutjob's position would have thought the bad guys had guns, it would have been kosher, correct?

Kid Stanislaus
07-12-2011, 6:18 PM
You want to live the solitary life, don't involve the police. Poor guy just wanted to be left alone off the grid. Thieves should have their necks stretched!!!

Last time I checked stealing solar lights was NOT a capital offense. ;)

gunsmith
07-12-2011, 6:44 PM
if he was really a crazed killer he could have disposed of all of them & they would never be found again. I live not far as the crow flies from there & will try to find out if any locals know the guy.

recently a guy went for help after his car got stranded, never to be seen again. he could have dragged their corpses off the side of the road and in a matter of weeks the yotes/crows/vultures would have scattered them far and wide.

People come out here to be left alone, you cant call for help out here unless you have a satt phone or HAM radio. Even our crazy liberals that voted for obummer have at least a mini thirty configured to be illegal in CALI ... If you're in the Northern eastern sierras either CA side & especially the NV side, be on your best behavior and stay the heck off private property, if you're caught stealing out here , you very well may die for it.

Our solar lights are useful for us walking around outside at night WE NEED THEMthey keep mtn lions away, keep our critters safer from yotes, keeps us from breaking our legs. The last time we bought them in Reno it was a 300 mile round trip, so that's more then just an 8dollar solar light, and what if ( like us) you have about thirty or forty for the 80 acre ranch?

If you visit our property you'll find nice folks who happen to be well armed, thieves are considered very dangerous and we assume they'll know we are armed so we'll assume they are. Steal out here and you may very well end up as coyote chow, and do not expect to get a sympathetic to thieves jury out here.

If you see a sign declaring you might get shot & decide to steal a blade of grass or a dead rat you're a freaking idiot because we mean it out here. We really,really, do not dial 911. ... often we cant because there is no cell phone towers out here.

gunsmith
07-12-2011, 6:50 PM
Last time I checked stealing solar lights was NOT a capital offense. ;)

well, I'm sure you wouldn't be stealing them, but if you ever do please check with the people using them how they feel about it.

Last time I bought them it was an arduous 300 mile round trip, I cant buy new ones for a few months, I'll be angry enough to kill someone stealing them, individually yeah there cheap, try buying fifty or sixty for your property plus gas wear and tear on your truck, plus having to deal with thieves on your property. They were begging to be shot, asking for it. If the guy is smart he'll go to trial and Juries around here will buy him a new gun.

Fot
07-12-2011, 7:16 PM
A lot depends if the thieves had guns or not. That said chasing people in your car doesn't quite co-inside with shooting to stop a threat.

hammerhands32
07-12-2011, 7:33 PM
It's not whether or not I think my stuff is worth your life, It's whether you think my stuff is worth your life

So let me slant the story the other way

A gang of was casing a private land owners house when the land owner surprised them. The gang quickly fled to their vehicle. It was suspected that the gang was going for their AK 47's and Glock pistols. Then the Gang sped off while the land owner pursued trying to track down the Gang's license plate. When the gang of young men did a u-turn, presumably to attack the land owner, the land owner stepped from his vehicle with his legally configured AR 15 and commanded them to stop. The driver then attempted to run down the land owner. The land owner promptly fired several rounds to stop the vehicle, accidentally killing the driver and wounding two others.

Spin spun and respun.

marcusrn
07-12-2011, 7:44 PM
Nut job! Eschew him and his defenders.

End of thread.

gunsmith
07-12-2011, 8:20 PM
good job, good for him and his defenders, more discussion on this thread.

bwiese
07-12-2011, 8:27 PM
At the bottom of the article.....

{sign}

If that is actually at the entrance to his property, law abiding gun owners may need to consider distancing themselves from this guy.

Yup. Goon squad dude.

And you don't shoot someone for stealing your porch lights, VCR or lawn mower. That's what insurance is for.

Fot
07-12-2011, 8:33 PM
If only he had a HOA.. could have kept the rift-raft out.. And the cars on blocks, purple houses, and kids..

paul0660
07-12-2011, 8:37 PM
Pretty sure..as others must be.. that those boys were up there to steal pot instead of lights..........which btw they would do even if it were legal.

Nutcase grower vs. thieves.................tough call.

gunsmith
07-12-2011, 8:46 PM
Yup. Goon squad dude.

And you don't shoot someone for stealing your porch lights, VCR or lawn mower. That's what insurance is for.

out here in outlaw country we are not shooting for porch lights, we are shooting because it may be a well armed gang and it could be a day or two before the law gets here.

If you're stealing solar lights then you're on the property-stealing-at night.

under those conditions, with no way to call police ( unless you have a satt phone ) I might feel shooting is the best way to preserve my life.

This guy, if he was indeed a serious backwoods redneck, would have know to SSS. I'm willing to bet 5 dollars that there is more to this story. Anyway, you have got to be incredibly stupid to steal from us out here in the middle of nowhere.

insurance? don't got none, we are simple rural people, if you aim to steal our aim is to stop ya!

Springfield45
07-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Mr. Wallen-Reed is going to have a very hard time defending the fact that he chased them down even if a weapon is found.

As for the stupid-*** solar lite steeling 20 year olds I think they got a very harsh life lesson not to screw with people. Sure, it was just solar lites. This time. But if there had been another time for the 6 idiots it might have been more serious. I would bet money that this was not their first time stealing or worse.

Honestly, 6 twenty year old guys in one car running around at 11 at night in the middle of nowhere are up to all kinds of no good.

As for the AR it said Reed was from Reno, NV so I bet his rifle was not legally configured for CA.

TKM
07-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Speculation and bad reporting on their part.

Speculation on our part.

TRICKSTER
07-13-2011, 12:36 AM
out here in outlaw country we are not shooting for porch lights, we are shooting because it may be a well armed gang and it could be a day or two before the law gets here.

under those conditions, with no way to call police ( unless you have a satt phone ) I might feel shooting is the best way to preserve my life.

This guy, if he was indeed a serious backwoods redneck, would have know to SSS. I'm willing to bet 5 dollars that there is more to this story. Anyway, you have got to be incredibly stupid to steal from us out here in the middle of nowhere.

insurance? don't got none, we are simple rural people, if you aim to steal our aim is to stop ya!

Plus he did have his property properly posted against trespassers.:eek:

JB-Norcal
07-13-2011, 9:44 AM
T-shirts like signage helps others assume your position, use your brain.
I had a friend who is 6'6" and he's loud, he would wear this shirt that said "Forty Fu**in' Niners" around and it cost us (and others) some blood and money.
If you're going to post a sign like that and something happens, it's as if you are testifying against yourself. JMO

VaderSpade
07-13-2011, 1:49 PM
We need those lights to keep from stepping on rattlesnakes up here. It IS life or death!

mag360
07-13-2011, 2:01 PM
i will be watching this eagerly. not guilty!

bravosd6
07-13-2011, 3:25 PM
I just emailed them now.

Shellshocker66
07-13-2011, 4:08 PM
Other then the obvious idiocy of the reporter. The guy really must have been a little nuts or very attached to those solar lights. Chasing them for several miles up the grade you would of thought he would cool down and realize how stupid it was to waste expensive gas going up the hill, when he just could of gone down and got a cold beer in town!

I have to call my brother who lives there and found out what he has heard. Janesville is a small town and just about everyone knows everyone!

bravosd6
07-13-2011, 4:38 PM
Other then the obvious idiocy of the reporter. The guy really must have been a little nuts or very attached to those solar lights. Chasing them for several miles up the grade you would of thought he would cool down and realize how stupid it was to waste expensive gas going up the hill, when he just could of gone down and got a cold beer in town!

I completely agree. From the sounds of it, it seems a little over board but as you mention calling someone, we are clearly not getting the facts of what happened. Appartently I and all of you criminals are breaking the law by owning an AR 15. :p

I'm not taking sides. This is sad because several peoples lives are now ruined because of this whole situation.

I received a response email from one of the editors. Should I post it here?

gunsmith
07-13-2011, 4:58 PM
please post the reply you got from the editor, thanks.

bravosd6
07-13-2011, 5:12 PM
Now I'm not trying to get into politics here or take sides. I just was standing up for our gun rights. My letter was just mostly aiming at the fact that they were wrong. Like many have mentioned there is probably a lot missing from the story. I did not go into detail about the rifle and all the different parts that make it legal and illegal. I doubt they wouldn't have any clue and it would loose site of the point. I just used the word modified.

bfrance@lassennews.com,
mtaborski@plumasnews.com
date Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:21 PM
subject FACTS
mailed-by
hide details 3:21 PM (1 hour ago)

First and for most, I am not taking any ones side!

AR 15's ARE LEGAL in California! It is NOT considered an assault rifle unless it is illegally modified.

These rifles are perfectly legal if they are with in the regulations of the California State law. Was his illegally modified..? Who knows at this point, but you still need to know that giving out incorrect information does nothing but deteriorate your press's credibility.

This is America and you are innocent until proven guilty. You nor your editors were actually there and the justice system has not made a verdict, which leaves you no right to pick sides. Your article was completely bias and because of your position I will no longer purchase or read your press until this misinformation has been addressed.

B M
__________________________________________________ _____________

I'm sorry for your impression of our newspaper, but I should point out one of the felony charges the shooter faces is possession of an illegal weapon. We didn't decide that, the Plumas County District Attorney made that determination.

From our story — "He did not enter a plea at the arraignment and faces eight felony charges including murder, shooting at an occupied vehicle, five counts of assault with a deadly weapon and possession of an assault weapon."

We stand by our reportage.

Thanks for your continued interest in the Lassen County Times.

Sam Williams
News Editor
__________________________________________________ _____________

Again, His AR 15 must have been deemed illegal do it's modifications.

What the courts said doesn't change the fact that article was bias and STATED "AR 15's are illegal in California". Thousands of others and I legally own AR 15's. When in proper form they are NOT illegal!

B M

BigDogatPlay
07-13-2011, 7:24 PM
Might point out that even though he is charged, there have been any number of AW charges dropped when more detailed examinations by experts were made and presented. On point, you may refer them to the recent complaint filing in Richards v. Harris (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/brichards/Richard-v-Harris-Complaint-2011-05-20.pdf) for just such an instance.

They made a blanket statement, quoting their article "An AR-15 is illegal in California." That is not factually correct as a blanket statement as there are tens of thousands of perfectly legal AR-15 pattern rifles, lawfully owned in California.

While I certainly appreciate the notion of getting the news media to do it right, this is a very unsympathetic defendant on face who is going to be really easy to demonize. And the newspaper appears, IMO, to be doing a good job of it. Not to mention that an AW charge is, really, the least of his problems.

Code7inOaktown
07-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Might point out that even though he is charged, there have been any number of AW charges dropped when more detailed examinations by experts were made and presented. On point, you may refer them to the recent complaint filing in Richards v. Harris (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/brichards/Richard-v-Harris-Complaint-2011-05-20.pdf) for just such an instance.

They made a blanket statement, quoting their article "An AR-15 is illegal in California." That is not factually correct as a blanket statement as there are tens of thousands of perfectly legal AR-15 pattern rifles, lawfully owned in California.

While I certainly appreciate the notion of getting the news media to do it right, this is a very unsympathetic defendant on face who is going to be really easy to demonize. And the newspaper appears, IMO, to be doing a good job of it. Not to mention that an AW charge is, really, the least of his problems.

Yeah, an AW charge is pretty minor in the scope of things for this guy but isn't AR-15 a trademark of Colt? An ar-15 pattern rifle is different from an AR-15(tm) correct? Thus, EA-15, XM-15, etc, etc, by the clone guys.

Dutch3
07-14-2011, 5:21 AM
The guy seems a bit over the top, but...

I know of a similar case (nobody was killed, but one of the thieves was shot in the head and is permanently disabled) that resulted in a complete acquittal on all charges. It happened in Butte county about 12-13 years ago. People vs. Delagardie.

Shellshocker66
07-14-2011, 7:28 AM
So the editor sent me an email last night which had nothing to do with my comment on the news site.

"Thanks for your interest in our newspaper. One of the felony charges against the shooter is possession of an assault weapon. The Plumas County District Attorney is the person who determined it was an illegal weapon.

Sam Williams
News Editor"

I responded back with an email to him.

Thank you for the reply!

But that still does not explain why your news source cited that AR-15's are illegal in California which is not true! I suggest you go to Calguns.net and click on the aw flowchart at the top of the page which will explain what makes a legal versus illegal AR-15 in California.

Just an FYI there are several cases of law enforcement and district attorneys making the wrong assumption that an AR-15 is illegal just because they are not up to date on current California DOJ laws. I'm not saying the suspect in this case has a legal weapon as he very well may have a full bore illegal assault rifle.

As I have stated before my problem is with the erroneous assumption that all AR-15's are illegal. If you look up the facts you will see you can even own a full definition assault rifle if you purchased it before 2000 and registered it as an assault weapon. You can also purchase from most gun stores in this state AR-15's that are configured to be California legal with a fixed magazine, bullet button, and a magazine that holds no more then 10 rounds!

I implore you to retract the portion of your news story that lists the false information. I also am supplying you with the website that has the most informative information on assault rifles in California. I think it is important for the press to report correct information on weapons in this state and not spread misconceptions that result in confiscated guns from law abiding citizens who have to go to court to prove their innocence's due to a lack of knowledge on many government officials part who do not understand fully the gun laws in this state.

Http://www.calguns.net

AW flow chart which lists the "evil features of an assault rifle and what makes it legal versus illegal"

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Another page to check is the rifle flow chart.

http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Shelley

Lets see if he decides to do anymore emails!

I tried calling my brother last night without success to see if he knows anything.

Code7inOaktown
07-14-2011, 5:54 PM
I think everybody is getting torqued up over nothing here. It's likely just semantics. The report said AR-15s are illegal in California. Colt has a trademark on AR-15. That means AR-15's are Colt which are make/model AW correct?

We casually throw out AR-15 to describe AR-15 pattern rifles, which is not the same as having a Colt AR-15.

So the editor sent me an email last night which had nothing to do with my comment on the news site.

"Thanks for your interest in our newspaper. One of the felony charges against the shooter is possession of an assault weapon. The Plumas County District Attorney is the person who determined it was an illegal weapon.

Sam Williams
News Editor"

I responded back with an email to him.

Thank you for the reply!

But that still does not explain why your news source cited that AR-15's are illegal in California which is not true! I suggest you go to Calguns.net and click on the aw flowchart at the top of the page which will explain what makes a legal versus illegal AR-15 in California.

Just an FYI there are several cases of law enforcement and district attorneys making the wrong assumption that an AR-15 is illegal just because they are not up to date on current California DOJ laws. I'm not saying the suspect in this case has a legal weapon as he very well may have a full bore illegal assault rifle.

As I have stated before my problem is with the erroneous assumption that all AR-15's are illegal. If you look up the facts you will see you can even own a full definition assault rifle if you purchased it before 2000 and registered it as an assault weapon. You can also purchase from most gun stores in this state AR-15's that are configured to be California legal with a fixed magazine, bullet button, and a magazine that holds no more then 10 rounds!

I implore you to retract the portion of your news story that lists the false information. I also am supplying you with the website that has the most informative information on assault rifles in California. I think it is important for the press to report correct information on weapons in this state and not spread misconceptions that result in confiscated guns from law abiding citizens who have to go to court to prove their innocence's due to a lack of knowledge on many government officials part who do not understand fully the gun laws in this state.

Http://www.calguns.net

AW flow chart which lists the "evil features of an assault rifle and what makes it legal versus illegal"

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Another page to check is the rifle flow chart.

http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Shelley

Lets see if he decides to do anymore emails!

I tried calling my brother last night without success to see if he knows anything.

bwiese
07-14-2011, 6:03 PM

You should think hard about this. Hate to see you in prison and/or spending $100K on lawyers fees.

bwiese
07-14-2011, 6:04 PM
o

Anybody uninsured deserves drama. That's simple lack of preparation.
Shooting someone to defend against the cost of insurance is insane.

VaderSpade
07-14-2011, 6:14 PM
I think everybody is getting torqued up over nothing here. It's likely just semantics. The report said AR-15s are illegal in California. Colt has a trademark on AR-15. That means AR-15's are Colt which are make/model AW correct?

We casually throw out AR-15 to describe AR-15 pattern rifles, which is not the same as having a Colt AR-15.

Funny I have two Colt SP1 AR-15's and they are both legal. I had to fill out some paperwork in 2000 BUT they are still legal.

The whole point here is that BAD information is being spread to an un-educated public. They believe what they read and call the cops when they see someone with an AR and bad things can happen.

gunsmith
07-14-2011, 6:42 PM
Anybody uninsured deserves drama. That's simple lack of preparation.
Shooting someone to defend against the cost of insurance is insane.

I often make less then 500$ a month, keeping my vehicle insured is difficult.

If I had money for insurance Dental/health would be first before property insurance, I have to drive 300 mile round trip to get to shopping and pay insurance, gas is expensive out here because there is only 2 of them 30 miles one way. I have no bank account so no online shopping for me.

500 in one month means its been a good month, often I make do on 250- 330

eating and feeding the dogs/cats/chickens/gas/ often means I run out of food and eat only eggs and stuff grown in the garden.

I like rural living and am not complaining, but the obummer economy is screwed up out here, walk a mile in my shoes then tell me how easy (to get) property insurance is.

Stealing from me can be a life or death situation (for me). most people are to scared to come on the property anyway, anyone here stealing at night is getting shot at. if its daytime I may hold you at gunpoint and only let you go after you've transferred all the chicken **** into the compost. ... that would keep anyone from ever coming back again.

hammerhands32
07-14-2011, 7:43 PM
Calgunners are hilarious. Same guys saying "it's just some solar lights" are ready to ban parents from restaurants for noisy children.

Kids who don't know better get no leeway but adults stealing stuff just need to be left alone...........

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=454733