PDA

View Full Version : Good range for shotgun

tangent
07-12-2011, 10:16 AM
I will be buying my first shotgun in the next month(870 tactical) and was wondering what would be a good range to take it to. I live in southbay area (San Pedro) I usually shoot at insight but they only allow shotguns if u buy their ammo. I refuse to support sharpshooters. I was thinking Angeles would probably be the most fun. Any other suggestions?

superman21
07-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Burro Canyon.....

only10x
07-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Ive heard that triple B's doesnt let you shoot a Shotgun with a pistol grip !?
I just bought an m4, took it to angeles last week would like to go somewhere closer than an hour away.

mspiegle
07-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Also check out Oak Tree Gun Club. I went there recently on a Living Social deal. I don't think it took much longer to get there compared to ASR, but I enjoyed myself much more. Based on what I've seen from ASR, OTGC has a better shotgun range. I haven't personally been to Burro yet, so I can't comment on them.

johnmoney
07-12-2011, 9:52 PM
I went to Angeles Shooting Range a few weeks ago with my 870. They have a great shooting range with 3 or 4 clay shooting stations and a nice steel shoot range that goes out to 200 yards if I'm not mistaken. You will have a great time with some boxes of birdshot, buckshot, and slugs.

Tanner68
07-12-2011, 10:02 PM
There is also Moore & Moore adjacent to ASR.

tangent
07-13-2011, 3:11 PM
Cool, thanks guys. I've never heard of otgc or Moore. I'll check em out. I always forget about burro, I still haven't been there yet.

Ramp Rat
07-14-2011, 2:30 PM
Raahauges is where I go. About 60 miles from SB.

http://www.raahauges.com/index.php

hcbr
07-14-2011, 2:42 PM
+ 1 for oaktree and Angeles!

navraster
07-14-2011, 3:57 PM
I do enjoy Triple B and Moore and Moore, but I REALLY like Oak Tree. The staff has always been helpful and I love their sporting clays setup. And they have a BAR! For afterwards, of course...

runway1
07-15-2011, 9:01 AM
Cheapest, with very nices ranges, is Prado shooting in Chino. 10 rounds of skeet is $65. <10 are $7.50 each. No membership.

Triple Bs is awesome, just a bit more at $8.50/round. Of course, if your shooting 6-8 rounds/wk, that adds up.

YoungGun86
07-15-2011, 3:36 PM
Burro is awesome if you just want to mess around with your gun and get to know her. They are pretty lax when it comes to rules (in a safe way) You can shoot cardboard or rent a hand thrower or spring thrower and shoot some clays for fun. I'm taking my new 870 there tomorrow morning to shoot as some cardboard and break er in. I don't think they have any restrictions on shotgun ammo either.

YoungGun86
07-15-2011, 3:44 PM
Also, I'm not sure if the 870 tactical is really worth the extra cost. The 870 HD is the exact same gun with the exception of the extended choke(basically useless) and the XS blade sight and XS Ghost Ring sight rail. If you really want the sight then it would be worth it, but i have the HD model and the normal bead sight is more than effective at normal distances. and with the money i saved i'm able to buy more ammo and accessories ;)

IntoForever
07-15-2011, 4:11 PM
Oak Tree Gun Club has a great skeet and sporting set-up.

tangent
07-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Also, I'm not sure if the 870 tactical is really worth the extra cost. The 870 HD is the exact same gun with the exception of the extended choke(basically useless) and the XS blade sight and XS Ghost Ring sight rail. If you really want the sight then it would be worth it, but i have the HD model and the normal bead sight is more than effective at normal distances. and with the money i saved i'm able to buy more ammo and accessories ;)

I hear you. Initially I was going to go bone stock(how could you go wrong,) eventually went through all of the motions (used wingmaster, police) and considered all my options. The biggest reason for this model is because of the sights. I just wanted those sights. For me it is worth it just for that. The mag extension I would have done anyways and I could care less about the breacher choke. A removable choke sounds great to me but reality is it's a short barrel and I wont be messing with the choke much for the purpose I'm buying it for. Truth be told, I have been planning on buying this particular model for quite some time(almost 2 years), I just finally pulled the trigger on it.

P.S. Isn't it funny how purchases like this can so easily get pushed back farther and farther - for other gun purchases of course. I seem to have a running list of guns I would like to someday own - the problem is I seem to add them on much quicker than I can take them off.

Thanks for the input guys, I will be checking a lot of those ranges out very soon.