PDA

View Full Version : Robbery Firearm Stolen

Vipersx911
07-12-2011, 2:25 AM
Yesterday my house wasbroken into and a firearm was stolen. have filed a report with San Diego Police Department and they took note of serial numbers, make, caliber,and model of the handgun. Is there anything else I need to do, if anyone has experience in this please let me know. Thanks for the help in this troubling time. Once again this is why there is such things as Calguns, so people can get the information necessary when they do not know the answer for this state.

Purple K
07-12-2011, 2:43 AM
Buy a safe! We, as responsible gun owners, need to make sure that guns don't get into the wrong hands.

dominic
07-12-2011, 3:05 AM
Sorry to hear that, but definitely buy a safe and not a cheap one either. If it feels like you can probably break in, a thief can break in to it without a doubt given enough time. Make sure it is secured to the structure so that they can't carry it away. Better yet buy a good concealable safe. One where it can be hidden from view such as in a wall or closet. It will save you a lot of heart ache down the road.

As for ever finding it again, probably not going to happen. But start looking by watching your friends, anyone that knew you had guns. In my experience, its probably someone you know or who knew about your guns. Thats one of the reasons no one gets to see my safe.

jshoebot
07-12-2011, 3:08 AM
In what part of San Diego do you reside?

ScottB
07-12-2011, 6:16 AM
Bummer you got robbed. Sometimes bad stuff just happens. How many folks have all their guns locked up except the HD one they keep handy? That's the one that will get stolen because thieves know where people keep them.

If it makes you feel any better, I had two rifles stolen from the back seat of my locked truck recently while I stopped at the store in a busy shopping center. I cracked the windows so my crated dogs had some air and that's all the thieves needed. The happy ending is I got a call from an ATF agent about 2 months later saying they recovered one during a bust. Actually they recovered both, but the local sheriffs deputy screwed up the report - missing info, wrong caliber, etc. Its a wonder I ever got the call. I sent the serial numbers and pics to the ATF guy and he said "Hey, guess what? I have both of 'em!". For all the crap that gets dished out to BATFE around here, I have to say this guy was great and he was genuinely happy that he was able to return my guns (as soon as the dirtbag's trial is over)

Keeping guns securely locked up in a safe is clearly good advice but hindsight is always 20-20. BTW, when you get a safe, make sure you bolt it to the floor I actually know of an incident where theives stole the entire safe, forced it open later and dumped the emptied, broken safe in the middle of a street.

12voltguy
07-12-2011, 8:40 AM
Bummer you got robbed. Sometimes bad stuff just happens. How many folks have all their guns locked up except the HD one they keep handy? That's the one that will get stolen because thieves know where people keep them.

If it makes you feel any better, I had two rifles stolen from the back seat of my locked truck recently while I stopped at the store in a busy shopping center. I cracked the windows so my crated dogs had some air and that's all the thieves needed. The happy ending is I got a call from an ATF agent about 2 months later saying they recovered one during a bust. Actually they recovered both, but the local sheriffs deputy screwed up the report - missing info, wrong caliber, etc. Its a wonder I ever got the call. I sent the serial numbers and pics to the ATF guy and he said "Hey, guess what? I have both of 'em!". For all the crap that gets dished out to BATFE around here, I have to say this guy was great and he was genuinely happy that he was able to return my guns (as soon as the dirtbag's trial is over)

Keeping guns securely locked up in a safe is clearly good advice but hindsight is always 20-20. BTW, when you get a safe, make sure you bolt it to the floor I actually know of an incident where theives stole the entire safe, forced it open later and dumped the emptied, broken safe in the middle of a street.

really?
he didn't know about safes before this post....;)

Overbear
07-12-2011, 9:15 AM

Even a inexpencive safe like the homack safes can be made damn near bulletproof with 4 lag bolts, 2 plates of steel, and some welding :D

Op, I am sorry for your loss man, I hope they catch the SOB and you get your stuff back. :(

Firemark
07-12-2011, 9:26 AM
Just out of curiosity and for education, where in the house did you store the weapon and what if any methods did you use to disguise it?

Maestro Pistolero
07-12-2011, 9:40 AM
I'm sure the OP knows by now he needs a safe. The question is "Is there anything else I need to do, if anyone has experience in this please let me know." I seem to recall there are online stolen firearms registries . . .
Here's one, there may be others:
http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Stolen-Gun-Registry-t50508.html

email
07-12-2011, 9:55 AM
You mean burglary, right? or were you home at the time.

Recession
07-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Yesterday my house wasbroken into and a firearm was stolen. have filed a report with San Diego Police Department and they took note of serial numbers, make, caliber,and model of the handgun. Is there anything else I need to do, if anyone has experience in this please let me know. Thanks for the help in this troubling time. Once again this is why there is such things as Calguns, so people can get the information necessary when they do not know the answer for this state.

Yeah, telling us what kind of firearm was stolen would help so that we can keep an eye out for it. Any custom work done to it? Accessories? Etc. etc.

geeknow
07-12-2011, 10:09 AM
OP, you've done what you can do, with respect to the stolen firearm. Maybe it will turn up down the road.

Stonewalker
07-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Don't lose all hope, I have a friend who had his gun recovered at a crime scene... It wasn't used to shoot anybody at that crime scene. But seriously, go spend 500-1000 bucks for a decent safe and bolt it to something.

P.W.
07-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Was your firearm the only thing that was taken ? Was it hidden from plain view if someone entered that room ? You could have been targeted because the thieves knew you kept firearms in your residence.

There have been an increase in Burglaries relating in theft of Firearms (only) within the last couple years and this can be accounted for a lack of PERSEC & not being discrete when bring/leaving with firearms from your residence. If you have pictures of your gun collection on a social media website such as facebook, make your pics viewable by friends only & get a safe or gun-cabinet.

Vipersx911
07-12-2011, 10:26 AM
To try to answer all of the questions at once let me make my best attempt... It was a Glock 23, everything else was hidden and locked away. The HD weapon of course when I left was the one that I forgot to lock up. YES I NEED A SAFE! so that argument can stop. In regards to the part of SD off of Genesee and the 163. And yes the firearm was the only thing taken. I will say it was taken from the most obvious place since it was the one I forgot to move before I left town. I believe I got all the questions if I missed any I will edit to update.

dantodd
07-12-2011, 10:35 AM
One advantage to having kids is that NONE of my guns are EVER accessible when I am not RIGHT there. I do like my cheapie "gun vault" for my SD pistol. I've heard there are some issues with the release cable but mine seems to work find and I can inspect much of the cable.

hawk1
07-12-2011, 10:39 AM
...YES I NEED A SAFE! so that argument can stop. ...

No, it needs to be repeated over and over. Hopefully the guy reading this and doesn't have a safe, goes out and gets one.

It's already too late for you...

the big ravioli
07-12-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm sure the OP knows by now he needs a safe. The question is "Is there anything else I need to do, if anyone has experience in this please let me know." I seem to recall there are online stolen firearms registries . . .
Here's one, there may be others:
http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Stolen-Gun-Registry-t50508.html

^+1^

C&Rtrader
07-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Sit and wait. i had one stolen from my trunk. Police found it 5 months later. Took me 8 months and a few miles of red tape (and a detective who recognized it was a collectible gun and wanted me to have it back) to have it returned.

BigDogatPlay
07-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Other than filing an insurance claim against your homeowner's or renter's insurance, assuming you have coverage, if you have photos you could circulate a flyer to your local FFLs and pawn shops that take firearms. Even at that, the gun would likely be sold on the street long before it turned up in an FFL or pawn.

Beyond that, go buy a replacement for it.

A burglary... and the only thing taken was your gun. Hmmmmmm. Those kind of circumstances always make my whiskers twitch.

Vipersx911
07-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Other than filing an insurance claim against your homeowner's or renter's insurance, assuming you have coverage, if you have photos you could circulate a flyer to your local FFLs and pawn shops that take firearms. Even at that, the gun would likely be sold on the street long before it turned up in an FFL or pawn.

Beyond that, go buy a replacement for it.

A burglary... and the only thing taken was your gun. Hmmmmmm. Those kind of circumstances always make my whiskers twitch.

As well I am thinking of everyone that knew I owned a firearm, as well as anyone that may want to use that for less than positive means... The list is growing and I am trying to figure it further from here.

targetarcher
07-12-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm his roommate. We've been pricing safes since we moved in at the beginning of this month.

Vipersx911
07-12-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm his roommate. We've been pricing safes since we moved in at the beginning of this month.

Thank you for the chime in bro, appreciate it. The people on here also do not understand the circumstance or anything of that nature as well.

Stonewalker
07-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Thank you for the chime in bro, appreciate it. The people on here also do not understand the circumstance or anything of that nature as well.

What do you mean? Understand rental situations or roommate situations? When I got my first gun I bought a little 5 gun sentry safe and bolted to the corner in the bedroom closet of my rental apartment. It's not much but it will help keep bad guys occupied for a minute or two during a burglary.

If you are reffering to money issues then I understand that as well. The safe I got was $150 from walmart.com

targetarcher
07-12-2011, 11:44 AM
We both moved from places where we hadn't had to own our own safes. Now, we need one. And a dining room table, plates, and some other of the thousand other things that go into a new place.
I'll be seeing if Costco still has that one for $500 or so, seems pretty well reviewed.

Edit- I see the cheap safe as a dubious protection against someone breaking in. If we had kept everything in a cheap metal box with a lock on it, we'd likely be reporting the loss of several rifles and a few more handguns too... Great for protection from little kids (which we don't have), but if I'm keeping all my eggs in one basket it will be a pretty bombproof basket.

Jayruta
07-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Sorry for your loss. I happen to live of 163 and genasse as well. Really sounds like someone who may know you have guns or a worker who may have had access to your home. I hope your gun turns up down the road clean without blood on its barrel. I just bought my first safe from the sd county fair from the canon rep there, I live in an apartment and I definately have a better piece of.mind knowing my guns are locked up.

andytothemax
07-12-2011, 12:40 PM

File a Notice of No Longer in Possession (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf) [PDF] with Cal. DOJ. Once you file the form it should show up in any subsequent records checks on the stolen gun so that the police don't show up at your door asking why your handgun was found at the scene of a crime...

cadurand
07-12-2011, 12:47 PM
I think reporting the theft to the police is all you need to do.

I suffered a similar loss back in 2001. Lost three pistols.

I actually got one of them back in 2004 though. I don't know all the details but the cop said someone had tried to sell it to a local gun shop.

I'd love to get the other two back but as time passes I think my chances fade.

BigDogatPlay
07-12-2011, 2:19 PM
File a Notice of No Longer in Possession (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf) [PDF] with Cal. DOJ. Once you file the form it should show up in any subsequent records checks on the stolen gun so that the police don't show up at your door asking why your handgun was found at the scene of a crime...

The gun should already be in AFS with a stolen flag and the case number. That assumes the reporting party no longer has it. Submitting a no longer in possession form to augment the AFS record isn't adding any real value, IMO.

To the OP and his room mate... it's quite possible you know the burglar personally. Who helped you move? Do they have any friends that you don't know as well or who might be a little sketchy?

And yes, even a simple Stack On RSC, for maybe $150, lag bolted to the wall studs would create a certain amount of peace of mind.

Southwest Chuck
07-12-2011, 2:35 PM
Was it forced entry? If not, I'd at least re-key your place and beef up your physical security.

targetarcher
07-12-2011, 2:39 PM
Was it forced entry? If not, I'd at least re-key your place and beef up your physical security.

With apologies to Dr. Seuss... Oh the places you'll go (with a crowbar)

taperxz
07-12-2011, 2:39 PM
The gun should already be in AFS with a stolen flag and the case number. That assumes the reporting party no longer has it. Submitting a no longer in possession form to augment the AFS record isn't adding any real value, IMO.

To the OP and his room mate... it's quite possible you know the burglar personally. Who helped you move? Do they have any friends that you don't know as well or who might be a little sketchy?

And yes, even a simple Stack On RSC, for maybe $150, lag bolted to the wall studs would create a certain amount of peace of mind.

This^^^^ Is the case more often than not! Someone knew you had it and where you kept it. They also knew you were out of town;)

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll174/dylanjcampbell/Green%20Supply/GunVaultGVB2000BiometricGunSafe.jpg

For just a handgun, these are great!! Easy access for personal protection and locked up.

Quser.619
07-12-2011, 2:53 PM
Dang, feel your pain & have now moved getting a better safe to the top of my list of things to get. I'd be heart broken if I lost any of my treasures. Deep felt sympathy

Vipersx911
07-12-2011, 3:05 PM
I really appreciate all of the support guys, as well as the fact that I do probably know who took it. There are some sketchy people that come around. However no one would have known where it was when I was gone. Even then I am sure it is probably a third party relationship that broke in to our place. Yes a crowbar was used. I am just glad that they were kind enough to do it when I was out of town since seeing someone you know in your house in the middle of the night is a difficult situation to evaluate immediately.

taperxz
07-12-2011, 3:11 PM
I really appreciate all of the support guys, as well as the fact that I do probably know who took it. There are some sketchy people that come around. However no one would have known where it was when I was gone. Even then I am sure it is probably a third party relationship that broke in to our place. Yes a crowbar was used. I am just glad that they were kind enough to do it when I was out of town since seeing someone you know in your house in the middle of the night is a difficult situation to evaluate immediately.

If you were out of town, how do you do know it was done in the middle of the night?

campinfool
07-12-2011, 3:23 PM
Are you a member of the NRA? They still have basic firearm insurance, don't they (at least I think so...pretty dumb on my part for not knowing for sure me being a Life Member!)?
TCF

Brown Rock
07-12-2011, 3:28 PM
Nevermind.

rdmmdr
07-12-2011, 3:37 PM
NRA has insurance but even life members have to do a separate activation of it. it is not automatic with renewal

stix213
07-12-2011, 4:23 PM
Maybe stand in front of the next gun buyback and wait until the thief tries to make a cool $100 off your gun?