PDA

View Full Version : Stock work in the SF Bay Area?

BigDogatPlay
07-11-2011, 7:50 PM
I have a new to me 1980's or so vintage 1100 that still has it's original hard buttplate. As is the LOP is a taste too short for my liking and the hard plate gets old after a half dozen or so go rounds in an afternoon.

I bought it to work up as a dedicated clays gun and want to get the stock fitted and a quality buttpad installed. I could do the pad myself, but I really want to do it up right.

Any of the Bay Area folks have recommendations or links to a local fitter who can work with an 1100 and a tall, long armed gomer like myself?

Thanks in advance.

coy80176
07-11-2011, 9:03 PM
....he does really nice work with shotgun stocks, custom jobs from wood block, as well as tailoring existing stocks

My cousin and I were out there last week or so, and ended picking a nice old Ithaca that he had just done stock work on, fixed the angle that it sits on the sholder, put a new pad on...really a nice shooter.

He's usually at the club and works out of a mobile woodshop....as luck would have it I have his card w/web address: gunstcokfitter.com

Good luck.

Cheers!

Thefeeder
07-11-2011, 10:39 PM
BDP,

Give Birds Landing a call and ask....there was a gent who did said work......its been a while so a call to confirm would be best

2099 Collinsville Road
Birds Landing, CA 94512
(707) 374-5092

POWG
07-12-2011, 4:56 AM
Lance is good, he apprenticed under Ed Aubert from Suisuin, CA near Birds Landing.

Lance will still occasionally appear at Birds Landing when they are hosting major Clay events.

He should be a good choice for this type of work.

If you want the absolute best of the best for this particular project - or for that matter, any firearm related project, call Genecco Gunworks, Stockton, CA.

Ken Genecco is a true master at his craft, there are none better, anywhere on the planet, whether it is a metal project ... or wood. He will however freely admit a preference for metal. Ken is a perfectionist and he is an uncommonly straight shooter. If you can't handle his input, which he will provide ...or the reality that he will not be rushed, don't call him.

If you want the job done to your specs [subject of course to his input] at a fair price and correctly - call him @ 209-951-0706. Let him know "Pat & Bev referred you" and be sure to give him your time line. He will take on new business and will be honest with you. You will be pleased with the results.

Good luck.

POWG is out.

mjsweims
07-12-2011, 7:02 AM
Dale Tate at Comanche. He can also properly fit the gun to you.
I've heard nothing but poor comments about Lance Keller's work. But if you know exactly what you want he may be ok. From my personal experience he once tried to convince me that a fitted gun needed to be reworked for it to work properly - I guess running the targets in trap isn't good enough.

Sheepdog1968
07-12-2011, 7:08 AM
In San Jose, there is a place called Coyote Valley Sporting Clays. There are two people there who do stock work. If you call the main line, they will give you the names (I don't remember them). I was happy with the work they did for me. Also, its a fun range. They have regular and sort clays to shoot at.

BigDogatPlay
07-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the referrals. Any others out there keep them coming.

Now it looks like I have some calls to make.