PDA

View Full Version : Would a 2A "sanctuary city" be possible?

Lone_Gunman
07-11-2011, 7:17 PM
I was just wondering- we all know that there are so called "sanctuary cities" in CA that basically refuse to enforce immigration law. My thought is could a conservative city in CA declare it's self a "Second Amendment Sanctuary City" and basically say that it will not enforce unconstitutional gun laws? Kind of like a small island of freedom inside CA. Not sure what such a thing would look like but off the top of my head here are a few things:

Won't charge otherwise law abiding citizens for carrying without a permit.

Won't enforce the CA "Assault Weapons" ban.

Won't enforce the hi-cap mag ban.

I realize that it would really piss the feds off unlike the illegal immigration issue where non enforcement is what they want, but could it be done?

taperxz
07-11-2011, 7:24 PM
I was just wondering- we all know that there are so called "sanctuary cities" in CA that basically refuse to enforce immigration law. My thought is could a conservative city in CA declare it's self a "Second Amendment Sanctuary City" and basically say that it will not enforce unconstitutional gun laws? Kind of like a small island of freedom inside CA. Not sure what such a thing would look like but off the top of my head here are a few things:

Won't charge otherwise law abiding citizens for carrying without a permit.

I realize that it would really piss the feds off unlike the illegal immigration issue where non enforcement is what they want, but could it be done?

I don't think it would piss off the feds. Remember they have constitutional carry states they don't mess with.

CA sanctuary city? Well, there is this thing the CA legislature calls funding.... What city would want to lose that?

CC Gunsmithing
07-11-2011, 7:28 PM
You have a great idea there Lone Gunman... And taperxz, how much money would be saved if citizens could police themselves?

gratefuldog
07-11-2011, 7:29 PM
I expect "2A City" would cause our state legislature to suddenly remember the concept of "preemption!"

Untamed1972
07-11-2011, 7:34 PM
The problem is even if a city declared such a sanctuary the Sheriff's dept over the county the city is in still has jurisdiction over the whole county.

The immigration thing is a a state/city/county entity refusing to enforce a federal law which a state or lower agency is not statutorily bound to enforce.

CA gun laws are state laws which any state or lower LEA does have some statutory obligation to enforce.

But in a manner of speaking what you're talking about is kinda like what the MT Firearms Freedom Act and other similar states are doing by saying that guns made and kept in the state are exempt from federal control and enforcement....because that deals with the state vs. fed....not a state agency vs. a state law.

mag360
07-11-2011, 7:41 PM
will someone in El Dorado or Placer county get on this. perhaps Kern would be the easiest ;)

ElvenSoul
07-11-2011, 7:53 PM
Most people call Dallas, TX!

Lost.monkey
07-11-2011, 8:14 PM
WACO

Window_Seat
07-11-2011, 8:15 PM
I would probably go, but it would be a constant target of controversy, and it would likely not only piss off the feds, but also the AG, as well as various others who would want a piece of the pie.

If it's possible for there to be a "sanctuary city" that shields persons from prosecution for certain crimes committed, then why not a "tax sanctuary city" as well?

There would need to be a militia service for the specific purpose of defending the city's residents against county, state & federal agents coming in, and how illegal would that be?

WACO

No...

Front Sight. :D

Erik.

Bhobbs
07-11-2011, 8:36 PM
I think it would have to be at the county level and have the sheriff on board. Then it might have a chance.

Dutch3
07-11-2011, 8:42 PM
Well, there is this thing the CA legislature calls funding.... What city would want to lose that?

One that doesn't have any. California Pines, anyone? Erik Estrada could be our representative.

fullrearview
07-11-2011, 8:47 PM
How about we just keep doing what we have been doing... Following the law and showing that law abiding gun owners are not crazy nut jobs hell bent on revolution.

goodlookin1
07-11-2011, 8:51 PM
How about we just keep doing what we have been doing... Following the law and showing that law abiding gun owners are not crazy nut jobs hell bent on revolution.

Says who? :43::43::43:

Oh great, I'm surely on the list now...:TFH:

stix213
07-11-2011, 8:52 PM

And you think that's a better idea than forming our own militia to cordon off some city against the rest of the ca.gov? ;)

Lone_Gunman
07-11-2011, 9:42 PM
Well, I was really just wondering how cities/counties got away with not enforcing immigration law and wondering if such non-enforcement could somehow apply to the 2A. Also, doesn't CA have immigration laws on the books that these cities/counties aren't enforcing? I do agree that something like this would probably have to be at the county level to get the DA and Sheriff on board.

One of my relatives works under the DA in one of our Northern counties and that DA has made it known that he will not prosecute Marijuana busts of less than 99 plants. I suppose a County DA could make it known that he wouldn't prosecute otherwise law abiding citizens for unlicensed CCW or AW violations.

I'm obviously not calling for a violent revolution in CA here guys, it was more of an "if they can why can't we" question.

Cokebottle
07-11-2011, 9:49 PM
I don't think it would piss off the feds. Remember they have constitutional carry states they don't mess with.
And some states are beginning to thumb their noses at ALL Federal firearms laws, using the Commerce Clause against the feds.

If a firearm has not moved through interstate commerce, then the Commerce Clause does not apply and the Feds have no authority.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

dustoff31
07-11-2011, 9:54 PM
Well, I was really just wondering how cities/counties got away with not enforcing immigration law and wondering if such non-enforcement could somehow apply to the 2A. Also, doesn't CA have immigration laws on the books that these cities/counties aren't enforcing? I do agree that something like this would probably have to be at the county level to get the DA and Sheriff on board.

One of my relatives works under the DA in one of our Northern counties and that DA has made it known that he will not prosecute Marijuana busts of less than 99 plants. I suppose a County DA could make it known that he wouldn't prosecute otherwise law abiding citizens for unlicensed CCW or AW violations.

I'm obviously not calling for a violent revolution in CA here guys, it was more of an "if they can why can't we" question

Because the state likes pot and illegals. They don't like guns or gunowners.

VW*Mike
07-11-2011, 9:55 PM
Wouldn't that be a Red county? I would imagine, that if you live somewhere in a red county, far from liberalism, then you have already found it. I suppose if you had a county, or a city, with the right Chief of Police, or Sheriff, its totally possible. If I was Chief of police, I would instruct my force to leave LAW ABIDING citizens alone and turn a blind eye to minor crap like normal capacity mags, open carry, etc. Andy Griffith and Mayberry would be my motto. Lock up Ottis the drunk, run off the gypsies and go get a piece of pie.

taperxz
07-11-2011, 9:58 PM
And some states are beginning to thumb their noses at ALL Federal firearms laws, using the Commerce Clause against the feds.

If a firearm has not moved through interstate commerce, then the Commerce Clause does not apply and the Feds have no authority.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I agree. My point was simply "right now" our problems begin with our state.

vincewarde
07-11-2011, 10:25 PM
One that doesn't have any. California Pines, anyone? Erik Estrada could be our representative.

Nothing against our friends in Modoc County, but given their location one could just as easily relocate to OR, NV or even South West ID. Never could understand the attraction for some place that isolated but still in California. Same taxes, same gun control laws, etc.

Slim///
07-11-2011, 10:34 PM
will someone in El Dorado or Placer county get on this. perhaps Kern would be the easiest ;)+1 for Kern :D

DocSkinner
07-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Wouldn't that be a Red county? I would imagine, that if you live somewhere in a red county, far from liberalism, then you have already found it. I suppose if you had a county, or a city, with the right Chief of Police, or Sheriff, its totally possible. If I was Chief of police, I would instruct my force to leave LAW ABIDING citizens alone and turn a blind eye to minor crap like normal capacity mags, open carry, etc. Andy Griffith and Mayberry would be my motto. Lock up Ottis the drunk, run off the gypsies and go get a piece of pie.

And a city council can require it's Police Chief to adopt a SHALL ISSUE stance. Brought this up before, but it was poo-pooed as to small an idea to bother with. Much easier to get a city that doesn't follow the state policy dictates. Not following the laws would be bad - particularly as city councils swear to uphold the laws of the state. They could be arrested or charged.

The better is to keep breaking DOWN the laws, not breaking the laws.

mag360
07-11-2011, 11:07 PM

that might work in a free state like Nevada. But we need some real "change" out here!

Cato
07-12-2011, 2:07 AM
Dude, illegal aliens have more freedom than us.

ccmc
07-12-2011, 6:54 AM
Nothing against our friends in Modoc County, but given their location one could just as easily relocate to OR, NV or even South West ID. Never could understand the attraction for some place that isolated but still in California. Same taxes, same gun control laws, etc.

I guess there's only one, at least as far as guns and travel go. You live in Modoc County (which I assume is as close to shall issue as you can get in CA), and you can get a CA permit which allows you to carry anywhere in CA. You can get an OR permit since OR allows residents of contiguous states to apply. And you can get NV, ID, UT, FL or whatever you want. You move to OR, NV or ID, and you're shut out of carrying in CA.

gunsmith
07-12-2011, 10:20 AM

If SF had manged to ban handguns this could have been possible but State preemption kicks in.

Still a very fine Idea for some state, NV/MT/WY springs to mind.

DocSkinner
07-12-2011, 1:52 PM
If SF had manged to ban handguns this could have been possible but State preemption kicks in.

Still a very fine Idea for some state, NV/MT/WY springs to mind.

You don't need a 'sanctuary city' in NV/MT/WY and most other states.

These bans are by the STATE of California and do not extend outside of its borders. (Although some other INDIVIDUAL states have similar laws.)

ALL cities in NV/MT/WY/ID/OR are what you are calling a sanctuary city. Most states are now 'SHALL ISSUE' states, and many of them allow loaded open carry - no permits required.

The problem isn't other states, it is changing THIS state.

FastFinger
07-12-2011, 2:01 PM
Andy Griffith and Mayberry would be my motto. Lock up Ottis the drunk, run off the gypsies and go get a piece of pie.

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/celebrity-pictures-don-knotts-real-men.jpg