PDA

View Full Version : Does probation prevent buying firearms?

whomper
01-02-2007, 3:33 PM
A buddy of mine is on probation for DUI, first offense misd. He wants to get an OLL. His terms of probation say nothing about buying/owning firearms. (I was on probation in TX twice. Once it did list restrictions on buying firearms. Another time it didn't.) I also looked on DOJ's website and found nothing stating probation would prevent you to buy a firearm. Any input would be appreciated.

Anthonysmanifesto
01-02-2007, 3:41 PM
DUI's CAN be felonious but check out this DOJ guide.

it has a good list of prohibited persons

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2006.pdf

hoffmang
01-02-2007, 3:43 PM
As long as he was charged/convicted of the misdemeanor and his license is in good order he can purchase firearms in CA.

One FFL told me that the number 1 problem he has with denied DROSes is based on peoples licenses being in some weird state, usually related to DUI.

-Gene

Matt C
01-02-2007, 4:24 PM
Not unless the judge ordered a prohibition as part of his probation, seems unlikely for a DUI.

CA SHOOTER
01-02-2007, 4:30 PM
With a regular garden variety dui its no problem unless stated on the probation terms on the court papers he recieved in court . Even with a revoked/suspended license you can buy a firearm with a CA ID .

FreedomIsNotFree
01-02-2007, 4:32 PM
With a regular garden variety dui its no problem unless stated on the probation terms on the court papers he recieved in court . Even with a revoked/suspended license you can buy a firearm with a CA ID .

Just be sure you dont present said revoked/suspended license as a form of ID when you are purchasing a firearm. Even though an ID card and DL have the same number, I have heard where people get denied because they presented an expired or suspended DL.

OldWestGambler
01-02-2007, 9:21 PM
I think your buddy is in the clear. He just needs to contact the DOJ, be as friendly and truthful as possible and explain the situation. Asking guys online is OK, but it's better to get it directly from the people who say Yes or no to guns ownership.

JPglee1
01-02-2007, 9:27 PM
As others have said, misdemeanor DUI doesn't preclude you from gun ownership (Long gun or handgun)

HOWEVER, I highly doubt his terms of probation allow him to have a weapon. Ive yet to see anyone on probation that has been allowed to carry a weapon. I have a friend on DUI probation right now and it specifically says no weapons, including pocket knives!

J

Franksremote
01-03-2007, 2:10 AM

I've been in the predicament, probation doesn't proclude him from ownership as long as it is not a felony DUI and he can produce a valid state id. I've never seen a prohibition on firearms for a DUI in CA listed as a condition of release...

Only domestic violence, even as a misdemeanor, is a no-no when completing the DROS

whomper
01-03-2007, 2:31 AM
Just be sure you dont present said revoked/suspended license as a form of ID when you are purchasing a firearm. Even though an ID card and DL have the same number, I have heard where people get denied because they presented an expired or suspended DL.

I called an FFL AFTER I posted and he said the same thing. If your DL is suspended, use an ID card.

whomper
01-03-2007, 2:34 AM
As others have said, misdemeanor DUI doesn't preclude you from gun ownership (Long gun or handgun)

HOWEVER, I highly doubt his terms of probation allow him to have a weapon. Ive yet to see anyone on probation that has been allowed to carry a weapon. I have a friend on DUI probation right now and it specifically says no weapons, including pocket knives!

J

I've read my buddy's pink sheet that lists his terms. It says NOTHING about firearms/weapons at all. I was just wanted to double check with you legal eagles. Thanks again.