PDA

View Full Version : "You don't need a gun to buy a cheeseburger"...

Wherryj
07-11-2011, 1:44 PM
But apparently you DO need one to serve one?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/11/us-restaurants-crime-idUSTRE76A3R720110711

Sorry if it's a dupe-and not directly related to the PRK-but I felt that it was rather ironic given our local lawmaker's love of that particular sound byte.

What if New Jersey just decided to do something radical, like allowing its citizens to protect themselves?

rjh4758
07-11-2011, 2:22 PM
That is the dumbest ruling I have heard of!

A drive by shooting sparked the ordinance, how is an armed guard going to stop a drive by where an off duty police officer could not. I wonder if the owner having a CCW would be able to substitute for an armed guard.

Untamed1972
07-11-2011, 2:29 PM
That is friggin' ridiculous. The notion of requiring someone to hire someone else to do for them that which SCOTUS has said is their right to provide for themselves is just morally and logically absurd.

Wherryj
07-11-2011, 2:32 PM
I agree, and it also seems a bit ironic. Do we or do we not "need" a gun to get a cheeseburger? Is the importance soley in precisely who is holding the gun when we buy our cheeseburger?

I'm even more confused now.

SoCal Bob
07-11-2011, 3:19 PM
One of the comments was great-

JayRen wrote:

New Jersey has some of the most restrictive gun-control laws in the country, but now they’re saying restaurants need to have hired-guns for security? Why not let law abiding citizens — and the restaurant owners — who pass all the required classes carry their own guns and defend themselves if they want? New Jersey keeps its citizens defenseless, but they know criminals have guns regardless of the gun-control laws, and they know that the police aren’t legally required to protect anybody and can’t be everywhere all the time anyway, so they want restaurants to hire guys with guns to protect the citizens the state has disarmed and can’t protect. More hypocrisy from our fearless leaders.

comblock
07-11-2011, 4:13 PM
Couldnt you just arm the employees? Part of employment would be the safe use of a firearm. Also put a sign that says we open carry. I doubt anyone will drive by any longer

Danhood
07-11-2011, 4:59 PM
What a stupid law. More over regulation of small business.

Of course when I hear of a drive by in NJ this song starts playing in my head. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUT07eZoXPw

warbird
07-11-2011, 7:08 PM
One of the biggest problems is many companies have policies against employees having weapons due to lawsuit fears. Many years ago an employee working for a national chain brought his own gun to the midnight shift. a robber robbed him and then took a shot at the employee and missed. When the robber went for the second shot the employee pulled his own weapon and killed the robber. The company fired the employee on the spot for violating company policy. Fortunately he got job offers the next day through the television station that aired the story and through the police department who forewarded the offers on. Sometimes it is the employer who is the biggest problem because the management is not in potential harm's way and they would rather have a dead employee than a potential lawsuit to defend against. Your life is not worth taking anything away from their bottom line.

jeep7081
07-11-2011, 7:12 PM
One of the biggest problems is many companies have policies against employees having weapons due to lawsuit fears. Many years ago an employee working for a national chain brought his own gun to the midnight shift. a robber robbed him and then took a shot at the employee and missed. When the robber went for the second shot the employee pulled his own weapon and killed the robber. The company fired the employee on the spot for violating company policy. Fortunately he got job offers the next day through the television station that aired the story and through the police department who forewarded the offers on. Sometimes it is the employer who is the biggest problem because the management is not in potential harm's way and they would rather have a dead employee than a potential lawsuit to defend against. Your life is not worth taking anything away from their bottom line.

Good story!

scarville
07-11-2011, 7:45 PM
Sometimes it is the employer who is the biggest problem because the management is not in potential harm's way and they would rather have a dead employee than a potential lawsuit to defend against. Your life is not worth taking anything away from their bottom line.
This +1!

Additionally these stupid disarmament policies create crime magnets. The criminal are attracted to the easy pickings with the result of more violent crime for everyone in the neighborhood. If the pampers in law enforcement, boardrooms and the legislatures really believed that "broken window" crap they spout all the time, they would make it easier for peacable citizens to end a few of these crimes. However, because they don't have to suffer the consequences of their evil they'll cry crocodile tears and tell you to be a good witness-- if the thug leaves you alive and without too much brain damage from the beating.