PDA

View Full Version : Standard or Short Length of Pull (trap shooting)?

ultimatetaba
07-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Hey guys,

New to the shotgun world. Started shooting trap and fell in love, so I just picked up a new Rem. 870 Express 28" with the intention, of course, to trap shoot.

I wanted to upgrade to the Hogue OM stock/forend, but the dilemma comes when choosing between their standard or 12" LOP. So, my question is...in terms of trap shooting, is one more preferred than the other?

I read around and have only heard from an HD point of view, and that a shorter LOP would give you a more comfortable positioning while gaining more versatility maneuvering around corners, walking back & forth, etc. But I haven't heard anything much in terms of trap, where I obviously won't be doing much moving around.

If anybody could guide me in the correct direction with some feedback I would very much appreciate it. Not to mention, I could place an order for my goodies sooner :)

Thanks,
Jason

oldguy870
07-11-2011, 5:36 AM
Pick the standard. If you go too short, your clay shooting will suffer. You will be fine with a standard for HD.

ultimatetaba
07-11-2011, 7:16 AM
Thanks for the input! I seemed to be doing just fine with the standard length, but since I'm new to this I wasn't sure if a shorter LOP would give me any advantages or not.

Thefeeder
07-11-2011, 9:44 AM
There is no standard.....most gun manufactures go with a 14-14 1/2" LOP becuse it FITS most shooters of average height and built.

The answer is what is the best FIT for you and what length you like and are comfortable shooting.

Here is a good link for you to read....Reread the part about gun fitting until it is plain as day........Fit is very important

Have fun.....and go dust some clays

ultimatetaba
07-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks Thefeeder for chiming in. I assume you were posting a link to the writeup you did, as I don't see one posted in your last entry. I read up on that before and it was very informative.

As mentioned earlier, putting the 870 up to position felt great and I already knew I could shoot with that. That being said, I've already ordered Hogue's "standard" LOP stock :)

BigDogatPlay
07-11-2011, 12:39 PM
The reduced LOP stocks that are the norm on many HD and competition guns are intended to be fired from a squared up stance. Clays aren't shot from that type of stance, generally speaking, and the reduced LOP can wind up putting your face too far forward on the stock. That's not going to be a lot of fun by about your third or fourth squad.

Thefeeder's advice is sound... hopefully he'll edit in the link (hint hint ;) )

POWG
07-11-2011, 5:32 PM
Feeder & Big Dog are right on.

Here is the problem that you would surely encounter if you are on the + side of 5' in height.

...On the first shot with a typical Trap load and a 12" LOP stock, your thumb on the trigger hand will come in contact with your nose. This contact should grab your attention, immediately.

If you choose to continue your round of trap that day, after of course wiping the tears from your eyes and allowing your head to clear a bit; the second shot will generate similar results, especially if you have unwisely chosen to mount the gun correctly to your face. Additionally you will likely notice the seepage of a fluid from one or both sides of your nose.

Following a third shot... and POWG's hat would truly be off to you for that trigger pull ...you will terminate the round; return home, fire up the computer, purchase a new stock ...and probably a Release Trigger which you will surely use for the balance of your shooting career.

All shotguns are created equal ...but in different configurations and for a variety of specific purposes.

Keep us all posted and enjoy your new found interest. Welcome aboard!

POWG is out.

ultimatetaba
07-11-2011, 6:37 PM
LOL @ the last post!! Geunius. haha.

Yes, all of the information makes perfect sense and lines up exactly with what I've collected. I don't really intend for this gun to be my main HD weapon, so the longer stock would be just fine...I don't need to walk around or travel while shooting.

Thanks so much everybody for all the help so far. This site has been helpful with all the info, even just lurking around and reading all the posts on here. I appreciate the info and the warm welcome. I'll be sure to take some nice pics of my boomstick soon and do a little review on the Hogue stock and forend.

I love shooting and I love the 870 from what I've seen of it so far, so I'm sure it will be a great experience!

shortround1
07-11-2011, 10:46 PM
You're going to like that Hogue OM furniture. It'll keep that shotgun firmly in your hands.

Thefeeder
07-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks Thefeeder for chiming in. I assume you were posting a link to the writeup you did, as I don't see one posted in your last entry. I read up on that before and it was very informative.

As mentioned earlier, putting the 870 up to position felt great and I already knew I could shoot with that. That being said, I've already ordered Hogue's "standard" LOP stock :)

Here is the post................http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425953