PDA

View Full Version : 870 trigger disassembly

Chron
07-10-2011, 7:38 PM
I recently acquired a 16 yr old unfired Remington 870 from my grandfather and when I was taking it down to inspect and oil it up I came across a little bit of rust on some of the trigger assembly. To take care of the rust I would need to take the assembly apart. I don't have any experience with 870's and when I looked up the procedure online guys were saying not to take it apart for cleaning, just to use compressed air etc. Is the process really that difficult? Does anyone have any experience taking apart the trigger assembly? Should I just take it to a gunsmith to clean out the rust?

Appreciate any feedback.

repubconserv
07-10-2011, 7:56 PM
Do not take it apart!

I disassembled my Mossberg 500 trigger assembly once... a gunsmith put it back together.

If you need to clean it, use compressed air. keep it lubed, I don't think a little bit of rust in there will hurt it too bad. If it does get worse, or you are anal about and uber clean gun take it to a smith

aippi
07-10-2011, 9:01 PM
It is difficult when you don't know how. It is not something I can talk you through. Also, you would need a new hammer pin and it is tricky. I have a special jig that makes it easier. Add the fact that you can become known as "Ol One Eye" if you don't know what you are doing.

You can simply get some steel wool and oil and clean the rust off the small parts you are seeing. It is most likley on the sear, the hammer and the carrier dog. It not necessary to remove those parts to clean them up.

Chron
07-10-2011, 9:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take some steel wool and oil to everything I can get to. My main worry is that there's more that I can't see. If I decide to go any further I'll bring it to a gunsmith. Thanks.

sevensix2x51
07-10-2011, 9:14 PM
Do not take it apart!

I disassembled my Mossberg 500 trigger assembly once... a gunsmith put it back together.

If you need to clean it, use compressed air. keep it lubed, I don't think a little bit of rust in there will hurt it too bad. If it does get worse, or you are anal about and uber clean gun take it to a smith

aw, theyre not that hard! but ive never done an 870. i posted up the process for the mossberg 500 some time ago, these things are pretty fun.

this is for a mossberg, not a remington. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=359906)

good luck if you try it, OP. take lots of pictures the first time. and if you screw it up, brownells sells the whole assembly complete. its about ninety bucks.

sk8804
07-10-2011, 9:16 PM
spray just the trigger assembly with brake clean and scrub with a brush, then rinse and oil. it will bring a ton of the rust out. Then just re oil.

repubconserv
07-10-2011, 10:08 PM
aw, theyre not that hard! but ive never done an 870. i posted up the process for the mossberg 500 some time ago, these things are pretty fun.

this is for a mossberg, not a remington. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=359906)

good luck if you try it, OP. take lots of pictures the first time. and if you screw it up, brownells sells the whole assembly complete. its about ninety bucks.

Thanks for the tutorial.... now to take my trigger assembly to a gunsmith again :D

I kid! If I ever need to replace something in the trigger assy. I will try to do it with your tutorial first... but that is only if I need to replace a broken/malfunctioning part

-hanko
07-10-2011, 11:25 PM
... I don't have any experience with 870's and when I looked up the procedure online guys were saying not to take it apart for cleaning, just to use compressed air etc. Is the process really that difficult? Does anyone have any experience taking apart the trigger assembly? Should I just take it to a gunsmith to clean out the rust?

Appreciate any feedback.
If you really want to know your weapon, best way is to disassemble:)

Do it over something like a baking pan with edges (amhik), lay out the parts in the order of disassembly, and get step-by-step info online before your start. Better, if you can wait a week, is to get a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's The Remington--A Shop Manual...you'll get what you need step-by-step, and you won't need to be a master gunsmith to understand what you read.

Aippi here can be a great resource.

-hanko

aippi
07-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I like it when guys disassemble things they are not trained to do as this keeps us busy when they send or bring it in to us to repair. Providing they have not FUBAR'd it. Keep the DIY going there guys. Even after I explain this is not an easy task, dangerous if you don't understand how the hammer punger spring fly's out (remmemeber O'l one eye), the OP still gets advised to do this. Even when there is absolutly no reason to, he gets advised to do this. So, do it. Your local gun smith needs the work and maybe the local emergency room is having a slow week.

sevensix2x51
07-11-2011, 12:43 PM
I like it when guys disassemble things they are not trained to do as this keeps us busy when they send or bring it in to us to repair. Providing they have not FUBAR'd it. Keep the DIY going there guys. Even after I explain this is not an easy task, dangerous if you don't understand how the hammer punger spring fly's out (remmemeber O'l one eye), the OP still gets advised to do this. Even when there is absolutly no reason to, he gets advised to do this. So, do it. Your local gun smith needs the work and maybe the local emergency room is having a slow week.

Not everybody in the world is an idiot, and most guns aren't that complicated. Being condescending on the internet doesn't help anybody.

call-in
07-11-2011, 1:10 PM
If that is the measure of being an idiot then count me in! :D

Just trying to keep the mood in this thread light. ;)

sevensix2x51
07-11-2011, 1:21 PM
If that is the measure of being an idiot then count me in! :D

Just trying to keep the mood in this thread light. ;)

Good idea. I think its a whole lot of fun to figure out how stuff works. Its kind of a hobby. But my great grandfather was a clockmaker, so I guess its in my blood. Honestly, I have to figure out and fix stuff that's a lot more complicated than any firearm mechanism at work, and with a whole hell of a lot more potential energy. There is no training or instructions on a lot of it. I suppose that may give me an edge.

I wonder if OP took it apart... pics of the broken trigger plate ***'y or the eyepatch are mandatory. :)

BigDogatPlay
07-11-2011, 1:34 PM
I like to tinker with my arms as much as the next person. But I very much don't like to tinker with trigger assemblies or sear engagements. Just how I roll.

One of my least fun experiences was with Remington barreled rifle action that I had re-finished. The 'smith disassembled the trigger group and when I picked up he handed me a bag of parts along with the barreled action, which I wasn't exactly expecting. It took me a couple of hours to get it together right, and I was still so nervous about the sear engagement I wound up sending it out to make absolutely sure it was good to go.

aippi
07-11-2011, 1:58 PM
As for DIY. A firearm may not be the best thing to do that on. Ever hear of an AD. That means accidental discharge. Do you thiniK a guy knowing nothing about a trigger plate assembly could possibly damage something in there that could reslut in an AD and hurt someone? Is that a possibility? At what point would a person stop and think about how a deadly a firearm can be and that it may not be safe to perform some repairs. So sure, there are may things on a firearm that one can do but disassembling a perfectly good trigger plate assembly and putting it back together may not be one of them. I would say this has to do with being a responsible gun owner. Warning people about the danger of doing something is not condesending, it is being responsible, as I do know how to do this and do it right and still it is not that easy. I have a special jig made for this from a blue print I got at the Remington Factory. I do know how not to damage the assembly and how not to get injured and if it was an easy fix I if could talk the guy through, I would. Just as I have for dozens of others on these blogs. But the trigger plate assembly is not a DIY item and if it was then the disassemlby of it would be covered in the owners manual.

The eye patch emergency room comment was for the people telling the OP to go ahead and do this, not for the OP. I think the OP has enough sence to know that when a Remington Factory Certifed Armorer, Certifed on that model weapon recomends not to do this, he will not. And if he calles Remington he would be told not to do it.

Sevensix - You have no knowledge of the skill and knowledge about firearms when some guy post in a question. Since they are asking, it is safe to assume they don't know. Yet, you would tell them it is easy and do just because it is easy for you and you know how. It would be very irresponsible if you told this guy, and no, you did not tell him to, but had you told him to and he FUBAR'd the job and hurt someone with that weapon. Just because something like this may come easy to you does not mean it will to the next guy and firearms are to dangerous to tinker with when you don't know what you are doing.

sevensix2x51
07-11-2011, 4:17 PM
thanks for your opinion. i understand your point, and you make a good one. thank you for expressing it the way you now have. It is taken much better this way.

fwiw, i just saw your signature line for the first time a few minutes ago, as i have signatures turned off in my account settings. too many huge graphics and giant strings of links for my personal taste, so i was unaware of your employment status. Still, (what i consider to seem) condescension pretty much turns my brain off to any messages that may happen to be expressed, so thanks again for this new post. have yourself a good day. :)

Revoman
07-11-2011, 4:44 PM
If the rust bothers you that much, you might simply buy a complete trigger group assembly, thereby not having to take anything apart and just trading spaces part for part.

I don't believe that's too complicated, but I could also be wrong as the adeptness of the OP is unknown.

aippi is the total expert here, so I'm just suggesting a simpler fix.