PDA

View Full Version : Moved to california

rshoemaker
07-10-2011, 5:12 PM
Ok here is the situation. I just moved to California, I own a PSL and a kimber pro carry II I know the pro carry is on the roster so I am good there, With the PSL I am keeping it with a friend of mine still up in washington Untill I know its in a legal configuration to bring down here.

From what I have read All I need is a mag lock of some kind to be completely legal here?

If I am in the wrong location for this please move to the correct spot. Thanks

CenterX
07-10-2011, 5:23 PM
Still supposed to send in the back-door registration of your Kimber. Form is on the DOJ web page. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/index.php

Get a bullet button and that should make you good to go. NorCal Black Rife and some of the others in the banner have the parts and low down.

Why did you move here when the others are trying to figure out how to leave?
Kidding - CA is different but you can navigate the strangeness if you keep a cool perspective and stay on top of the ever increasing laws.

Welcome the the Hotel - you can never leave!

Josh3239
07-10-2011, 5:28 PM
Either put a maglock on it that allows a tool/bullet to actuate the magazine release or plug the thumbhole stock.

bob7122
07-10-2011, 5:29 PM
stop and go back!!!!

ElvenSoul
07-10-2011, 5:30 PM
Welcome!

rshoemaker
07-10-2011, 5:52 PM
Trust me It was not my first choice to move here. My wife got transfered and she is the main money maker. I ordered the bullet button and will be heading up to wa to get the gun here in a week or so. I am going to do the Registration on the Kimber when I go down to get my Drivers Licence. I am also not looking forward to getting my carry permit here. At least I'm in sacramento so I can get one with enough money and time LoL. Its odd that it will cost me hundreds of dollars to get one here and I got my washington one for 55 bux.

Librarian
07-10-2011, 6:03 PM
. I am going to do the Registration on the Kimber when I go down to get my Drivers Licence.

On the same day, perhaps - but it looks like you may believe that DMV can also handle firearms registration. They're bad enough with vehicle registration...

Merely download the new resident form, fill it out, and mail it in with your $19.

rshoemaker
07-10-2011, 7:32 PM
I will do that, thanks Librarian!

epilepticninja
07-10-2011, 7:36 PM
Why did you move here when the others are trying to figure out how to leave?

Exactly. I used to love this state, now I can't wait to get the hell out of it.

VW*Mike
07-10-2011, 8:15 PM
Welcome to California. I was born and raised, and planning my escape. Not just on the 2A issues, but taxes, jobs, CARB, taxes, handouts, illegals, taxes, cost of housing, liberals, taxes (did I mention taxes?) the list goes on.

GWbiker
07-10-2011, 8:23 PM
Just a reminder for those itching to leave Kommyforyna - Arizona is just East of the Colorado river....;)

Anchors
07-10-2011, 8:37 PM
Just a reminder for those itching to leave Kommyforyna - Arizona is just East of the Colorado river....;)

I know the pro carry is on the roster so I am good there

Everyone else touched on everything pretty well, but...
Just wanted to point out that when you move here and register a handgun as an importer, it doesn't need to be on the roster.
So if there is anything NOT on the roster you want to bring, you better buy it now, bring it, and register it before you switch your residence over and everything.
If you don't, then you'll have to buy it used and it will cost considerably more (I've seen LCP go for $500 and Gen 4 Glocks go for $700 here).

If you want to a Glock Gen 4, Ruger LCP, any Kel Tec, XDm, 1911 frames, 9mm 1911, etc etc you should get them now. Seriously man!

rshoemaker
07-10-2011, 8:56 PM
I wish I had the coin to get a couple more while a washington resident but cant aford it with the move and all. I did tell my wife that this should be a 5 year plan then move some where a little more free, like back up to WA or east a state or 3 lol

Quser.619
07-11-2011, 2:25 PM
Too bad, didn't Washington just go suppressor friendly too?

rshoemaker
07-11-2011, 5:28 PM
Yep this month its finaly legal to use the suppressors that were always legal to own. They were clever in getting it passed too, used it from the standpoint of noise polution and personal hearing safety

stix213
07-11-2011, 5:42 PM
Remember if you install a magazine lock (bullet button) on your rifle, you cannot install an 11+ round magazine into it or you have figured out another way to build an illegal assault weapon in this state.

Strangely according to penal code 12276.1, if you want to use legally owned 30 rounders you had damn well better be able to swap them out quickly with only a button press, cause if it takes a tool to do so you're committing a felony. This part of the law is not obvious, and counter intuitive, which is the only reason I mention it.