PDA

View Full Version : Is the Mossberg JIC kit legal in PRK ?

SI-guru
01-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Just want to check if the Mossberg JIC kit is PRK legal.
Thanks in advanced.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/JICfront.JPG

blkA4alb
01-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Don't see any reason why not, so yes.

Japedo
01-02-2007, 4:33 AM
I don't know what is PRK, but I have one of those kits, I found it at a gun show. It is a great shot gun.

cseabass
01-02-2007, 4:44 AM
PRK = peoples republic of kalifornia

i have been eyeying one of those kits, but honestly, i could put a better one together on my own... so could you.

naimad
01-02-2007, 5:28 AM
Yes these are good to go in california i saw one of these kits at a local gun shop in san diego

50 Shooter
01-02-2007, 6:44 AM
Would be better if it had a folding stock or at least a quick detachable one, that set up is a wrist buster if you don't hold it right.

proraptor
01-02-2007, 10:03 AM
That thing is awesome!

-hanko
01-02-2007, 1:45 PM
That thing is awesome!
...until you really need it & instead spend time removing it from its pipe/case.:D

-hanko

MotoGuy
01-02-2007, 1:59 PM
Would go well with the S&W 460ES Emergency Survival Kit.

Japedo
01-02-2007, 5:42 PM
When I bought it I was looking for a shotty with a pistol grip, the guy had a bunch on his table, but they were all scratched up, from being handled. I found one in a bag and I told him I would take it, I didint know it was a survival kit, and it was the same price, allegedly that tube is water proof, I havent felt froggy enough to try it, it shoots good though.

CalNRA
01-02-2007, 7:45 PM
I don't see why they couldn't put something like an ATI side folding stock on there. A pistol grip shotgun is useless for survival unless the only survival you would be doing is shooting large bears at close range.

Socal858
01-02-2007, 8:01 PM
I don't see why they couldn't put something like an ATI side folding stock on there. A pistol grip shotgun is useless for survival unless the only survival you would be doing is shooting large bears at close range.

and thats when the S&W bear kit trumps it :D lol

MotoGuy
01-02-2007, 9:16 PM
A pistol grip shotgun is useless for survival unless the only survival you would be doing is shooting large bears at close range.

It doesn't look like the kit is for wilderness survival... more like urban survival, shooting looters etc.

jessegpresley
01-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Just want to check if the Mossberg JIC kit is PRK legal.
Thanks in advanced.

All these "is it legal" posts oftentimes push the limits of common sense.

A Mossberg 500 Cruiser, sold at your local Big 5 is legal, and a plastic tube filled with band aids is legal. So why wouldn't the two put together be legal?

This is a pretty funny marketing gimmick. Will really appeal to al those SHTF guys.

01-03-2007, 6:28 PM
How much do those little kits cost?

Maddog5150
01-03-2007, 6:44 PM
I want to make my own just because I dont like the mossberg as much as some of the other shotguns out there. Who makes the tube? I want one and paint my avatar on the side. :D

50 Shooter
01-04-2007, 4:37 AM
Just go to the hardware store and find some PVC tubing that's big enough, then find the caps for the ends. You can throw in all the stuff you want along with some desiccant packs to be sure everything stays rust free/dry.

billym
01-06-2007, 6:24 PM
Good gun, nice tube the rest is trash. That survival kit is garbage. Any kit that comes with a paper book of matches should be avoided.
Make your own version with PVC and a better survival kit.
Good concept bad delivery.
S&W got a lot closer with their bear survival kits. Except for the huge caliber cannon that kit would work well in an urban disaster.

Oh and it is legal; no restrictions on pump guns.

cseabass
01-06-2007, 8:22 PM
Good gun, nice tube the rest is trash. That survival kit is garbage. Any kit that comes with a paper book of matches should be avoided.
Make your own version with PVC and a better survival kit.
Good concept bad delivery.
S&W got a lot closer with their bear survival kits. Except for the huge caliber cannon that kit would work well in an urban disaster.

Oh and it is legal; no restrictions on pump guns.

that S&W kit was intended for people in the wilderness... it IS a bear gun. thats not a bad kit to have in your plane if your a bush pilot.

billym
01-07-2007, 10:04 AM
that S&W kit was intended for people in the wilderness... it IS a bear gun. thats not a bad kit to have in your plane if your a bush pilot.

Where on either gun does it say "bears only"; yes their kit has a bear focus but a gun is a gun. Yes large calibers are proven on bears but are not restricted in their use. One could kill an elk, moose, deer even a man with these pistols. Many people are buying .500 and .460 calibers to handgun hunt.

If I was building a gun based survival kit I would go with something like .357 or .44 magnum.
I won't be suprised to see S&W come out with something new to address a kit with a more managable caliber.

vwsergio
01-07-2007, 5:42 PM
What does one of those little kits cost?

rayra
01-08-2007, 9:56 AM
Don't see any mention of the law itself and the presence of an item for sale is ZERO indication of legality.

Short answer: Yes, it's legal in CA. It's a pump-action shotgun. Pistol grip is thus legal.

MotoGuy
01-08-2007, 10:14 PM
What does one of those little kits cost?

On gunbroker it looks like the Mariner kit is $399 and the Cruiser kit is $339.