PDA

View Full Version : No guns in Yosemite?

tman
01-01-2007, 8:21 PM
Is this true throughout the entire park? Are bear/criminal encounters very frequent?

Thanks.

Vigilante
01-01-2007, 8:31 PM
Is this true throughout the entire park? Are bear/criminal encounters very frequent?
I think that it is true. I don't think that guns are allowed at any national park. As for the bears and criminals, I can't say. Although, a friend of mines mother almost got attacked by a mountain lion up there last summer. She didn't notice it waiting in a tree ready to pounce on her, but luckily other people saw it and scared it away.

SemiAutoSam
01-01-2007, 8:37 PM
Hmmm I suppose they have all of the bears trained now.

They wont mess with you right ?

I'm wondering if the park has had its first wrongful death lawsuit yet ?

In my thinking unless they have blatant signs like Costco and will provide for ones welfare. just be discrete about it and only pull it if your in fear for your life.

I for one wouldn't go somewhere that had 2000 LB bears without some kind of protection.

guimus
01-01-2007, 8:46 PM
This summer I was hiking near Tuolumne Meadows when a small black bear and I scared the hell out of each other. I'm glad mom was nowhere nearby.

hdcd
01-01-2007, 8:58 PM
Yeah no packing in NP's. Just yesterday there was a posting on packing.org about some new legislation for carry in NP's. Unfortunately I can't get to the site right now to get the link.

OldLandParkPat
01-01-2007, 11:00 PM
So what happens if you are there... the bears gone nuts and ready to eat you and your family, and you produce a firearm and dispatch the fury beast?

Are you going to have to do time in the booty house?.. :rolleyes:

Last time I was there with my dad as a kid, he packed a Dirty Harry "make my day" special for just such an occasion.. :D

berg
01-01-2007, 11:08 PM
I was in Yosemite over Christmas and I noticed in their info packet the only way you can legally have a gun in Yosemite is if you are driving a heard of cattle through there. And even then it must be disassembled and packed up away from any ammo.

Now the Natinal Forest, which surrounds Yosemite, is another story. I believe you can shoot all you want anywhere it's safe.

BTW the gate guards do not do vehicle searches and rangers do not do pat-downs to hikers at the visitors center.

Whitesmoke
01-02-2007, 1:26 AM
.....I've done this many times in many NP's. If you have a gun with you when entering a NP ...you must disassemby it before entering the park. It's totally legal...as long as you do this. The Rangers at the gate told me to do this at Yellowstone the first time I went there. Plus...it says this on their website too.

Just pull the cyl on a revolver (I carry a handloaded 45 colt Vaquero for bear duty), etc...or pull off the slide. You can restore operational mode in seconds (of course...still not great in an emergency).

And I've been around black bears (which are the only bears you'll find in Yosemite) all my life...they are huge sissys. Yell at them and they run away. I've done it a million times.....

As long as it's not a momma trying to protect her cubs they are not very dangerous. Now Grizzley bears (like in Yellowstone ) are a whole other story. They are very dangerous in comparision. Also, mountain lions are dangerous too.

VeryCoolCat
01-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Heh... I'll use my take-down double barrel :D

Whitesmoke
01-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Heh... I'll use my take-down double barrel :D

:D That would work.....

rmeyer
01-02-2007, 11:50 AM
I took 1 with me anyway. To many bears for my liking with no protection. Just make sure if you do use it ,it is a life or death situation.

Nylo
01-02-2007, 11:59 AM
After all they are Government bear and totally safe.

;)

.....I've been around black bears (which are the only bears you'll find in Yosemite) all my life...they are huge sissys. Yell at them and they run away. I've done it a million times.....

DRH
01-02-2007, 1:39 PM
The booth at Tioga pass had a sign saying that firearms must be declared. I did not have anything to declare. "Your papers please"
From the NPS website:

If you are transporting firearms, you must notify the ranger or gate attendant on your arrival, and your firearm must be rendered inoperable before you enter the park. Individuals in possession of an operable firearm in a national park are subject to arrest.
Firearms are NOT permitted anywhere in the park’s backcountry. Firearms brought through Big Bend National Park must be unloaded, broken down (temporarily inoperable), cased, and stored out of sight and reach, with ammunition separated from weapons while in the park (36 C.F.R. 2.4(a)(3)).

Whitesmoke
01-02-2007, 3:39 PM
After all they are Government bear and totally safe.

;)

So...your saying you think a black bear is pretty dangerous?

SemiAutoSam
01-02-2007, 3:47 PM
Any type of bear is dangerous if it feels threatened. and or if its protecting its CUBS.

Think I'm wrong get between a Bear and her cubs and see what happens.

So...your saying you think a black bear is pretty dangerous?

Whitesmoke
01-02-2007, 3:51 PM
Any type of bear is dangerous if it feels threatened. and or if its protecting its CUBS.

Think I'm wrong get between a Bear and her cubs and see what happens.

If you read my original post below....I said the exact same thing.

"As long as it's not a momma trying to protect her cubs they are not very dangerous. Now Grizzley bears (like in Yellowstone ) are a whole other story. They are very dangerous in comparision. Also, mountain lions are dangerous too."

PonyFiveO
01-02-2007, 6:01 PM
A bottle of this may work if you are not allowed to carry...

http://www.counterassault.com

paradox
01-02-2007, 7:05 PM

They don't list the scoville heat units of their product on the web page. You're probably better off with a big can of Fox. In general, pepper spray is better against bears than handguns.

Mr. Beretta
01-02-2007, 7:51 PM
I've been to several NP's and quite frankly was more concerned about the two legged animals I saw than the four legged ones. :eek:

tman
01-02-2007, 9:08 PM
I've been to several NP's and quite frankly was more concerned about the two legged animals I saw than the four legged ones. :eek:
Understood. However, the smallest weapon I currently have is a Remington 870 w/ an 18" barrel. By the time I am there, it might also have a SpecOps folder. Anyone ever conceal one of these? Disassembled, of course ;)

LECTRIKHED
01-02-2007, 9:09 PM
Black bears are afraid of humans. You can just yell or act crazy and they will run away. I was in the Yosemite back country for a week over the summer, and didn't run into any bears, or even have any mess with my stuff. Since people started using bear canisters for their food, the bears have not been bothering with people very much. The bear pepper spray is stronger than human pepper spray, if you're worried you can take it with you. It will work well on bears, cats, and humans.

I would be much more concerned with Humans and Rattle snakes in yosemite. I almost stepped on one but luckily it didn't bite me. Unfortunately, 150 years of killing rattlers, has led to most of them no longer rattling.

As far as packing a handgun, most calibers like a 9mm or even .45 probably wouldn't do much to an animal, but I like the idea. Maybe a titanium revolver to use on crazy humans. They do exist.

SemiAutoSam
01-02-2007, 9:11 PM
PROVEN EFFECTIVE THRU UNIVERSITY TESTING

What did they test it on coeds Majoring in animal husbandry.

AJAX22
01-02-2007, 9:32 PM
By the california DOJ definition of the law, you could have an ar15 dissasembled (two takedown pins) and a full beta mag sitting next to it (loaded mag is not a loaded gun).

Although If a ranger had the stones to try to disarm you in the middle of nowhere, well outside of radio distance and backup, you might as well hand it over. those are some big huevos rancheros.

anotherted
01-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I had my 590 and my garand with me for 3 days up in T. Meadows and in the Valley. Of course they were packed away. I was on an extended camping trip. What was i gonna do, mail them home once i reached Yosemite? I guess i diddnt look real hard but i did not see any signs about firearms at Tioga. My bad. ooops.

ETA. The whole time we were in the valley, there were bears everywhere. Every night the rangers were running around with massive spotlights shouting at the bears to scare them out of the campgrounds. It was a little unnerving.