PDA

View Full Version : Just got accepted as a Border Patrol Agent

LloydXmas250
07-10-2011, 9:31 AM
It's been a long process, not as long as it could have though. I tested in September '10 and got the call that I was selected to become an agent. I am going to be working the Tucson Sector. The real surprised was that I was told I have to report on July 28th. Not much time to put in a two week notice at my current job and get everything in order before leaving.

If anyone here has been through the FLETC in Artesia I'd love to hear some advice. What to bring, physically and mentally. What to expect. I've heard it's a good idea to bring a car if possible. Really any advice is welcome.

I'm so excited about starting this new chapter in my life and I'm anxious to get it started. Thought I'd share. Thanks.

philobeddoe
07-10-2011, 9:35 AM
Congratulations.

veeklog
07-10-2011, 9:44 AM
What station are they sending you to? BTW: Congrats

LloydXmas250
07-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Douglas. EOD July 28. Start the academy August 4. Finish October 26, then 8 weeks of Spanish classes.

hitman13
07-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Congrats. Arizona is a great place to live and work!

foxracer151
07-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I went to fletc glynco cant imagine it would be to different id drive your pov. Get a GOOD pair of running shoes and maybe take a smaller tv, most things that u will find u want will be available for a cheap purchase from people who are graduating and leaving for there duty station. I would take whatever it is your hobby or liking is as there is a fair amount of down time when not in class or studying ie. weekends after hours. have fun but watch your alcohol intake if/when u go to the bar and remember you are in an academy (saw some good people fired for getting stuck on stupid at local bars or the bar on base)

oh and by the way congrats i hope you enjoy it

Jonathan Doe
07-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Congratulations. Be safe.

jeep7081
07-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Congrats!

CALREB
07-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Inkow this is wayyyyy down the road for you,at least a couple years,but if you like to shoot the BP has a great competitive shooting program,PPC ,action pistol, Bianchi Cup, if you work hard enough to make the National Team,top 12 I think, in a discipline,they cover all ammo, travel to select meets ,and some guns,about the best program out there except AMU. First though get through probation, good luck...Congrats jobs are hard to get these days.

kermitz
07-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Congats.

tyrist
07-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Congratulations on the new job.

From what I understand it's a pretty demanding academy and as we all know a very demanding job. Good Luck to you.

LloydXmas250
07-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all the congrats. I like shooting competitively so that's something I can look at down the road. In the meantime I'll concentrate on getting through the academy. Can't wait to get started. I'll try and post while there and keep everyone updated.

Axewound
07-10-2011, 11:52 AM
PM inbound

Big D
07-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Have fun in Artesia. It should be nice and cool there this time of year. I liked the wellhead, the little italian place in town isn't too bad either. Other than those two places there's nothing to do in town. Carlsbad has a few decent bars and better restaurants, but the locals there always seemed to want to fight. Roswell is a little better than Carlsbad, The alley is an interesting bar. Also the UFO museum is there, that should kill about 20 minutes on a saturday afternoon. Don't be like some people I knew who got DUIs INSIDE of FLETC. The FLETC 5-0 got nothing better to do than nail you to the wall for doing something stupid. I'm not sure if the G bar is still open or not, but if it is that is a safe place to drink a few beers on the weekend.
Bringing your car is a good idea, if you have the time, but remember you have to report to your duty sector, and then they fly you to FLETC, and they probably won't let you leave your car at sector. So if you want your car you have to fly back to where you left it on your dime and on your own time. What one of my buddies did was to drive his vehicle to El Paso the week before the academy and leave it at the airport. There are usually a lot of people from El Paso who go home on the weekends who you can hitch a ride from. Oh if you do go to El Paso stay out of Juarez.
If you have any questions about the job PM me

Triad
07-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Fight the good fight brother.

veeklog
07-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Douglas. EOD July 28. Start the academy August 4. Finish October 26, then 8 weeks of Spanish classes.

Worked in Douglas in the late 1990's when the station was tiny and apprehensions were off the charts. On the midnight shift the apprehensions were in the thousands (not joking either). The last time I worked there was 11/2000, so I don't know what the work is like now. Study hard and make it through the academy. There is nothing to do in Douglas, but Sierra Vista has grown, and the area is livable. Bisbee isn't bad, but a little artsy.

Good luck in Artesia.

LloydXmas250
07-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks everyone. Not a huge drinker so I don't figure I'll have too much trouble with alcohol. As for the car. I'm thinking that I could have my wife, who wants to visit every now and then drive it in sometime and then fly her back home. As for the duty station. My wife and I have been looking to living in Sierra Vista. Good size city, similar to where I currently live and it's got many stores and amenities. Read that half the population is employed through the government so I'd fit right in.

Spanky8601
07-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Congratulations. Glad to see that you are not a huge drinker. As the old saying Booze or Broads will get you badge.

BigDogatPlay
07-10-2011, 1:15 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the fraternity.

Train hard, work smart and stay safe.

jcoenenberg
07-10-2011, 1:17 PM
Congrats that's awesome

Garand1911
07-10-2011, 1:22 PM
congrats from the blue side of the house

I hear the BP academy is no joke, its more military then glynco.
hopefully your running ability is up to a couple miles, or you might be fooked.
if there are girls in your class, PT might be slightly easier, if not, you will be pushed harder, cuz your guys.
the instructors respect physical fitness and dedication, i hear they will mess with you (like coming to mess hall and inspecting what your eating, and berating your about it)

DO NOT volunteer to be class president.
anyone can and will be fired in a heart beat for being stupid, even days before graduation (seen it).
try and keep all your idiot fook off classmates in check, or everyone will suffer.

did they polygraph you ?

enjoy your time, work hard, have fun, its a great experience

LloydXmas250
07-10-2011, 1:29 PM

if there are girls in your class, PT might be slightly easier, if not, you will be pushed harder, cuz your guys.
the instructors respect physical fitness and dedication, i hear they will mess with you (like coming to mess hall and inspecting what your eating, and berating your about it)

anyone can and will be fired in a heart beat for being stupid, even days before graduation (seen it).
try and keep all your idiot fook off classmates in check, or everyone will suffer.

did they polygraph you ?

Running ability is up there. Barring an injury I don't see myself having too much trouble with PT. And no I was not polygraphed. Don't know why and really don't care why. I have nothing to hide however. Maybe my background cleared so well they didn't need to polygraph me. Not sure.

Alaric
07-10-2011, 1:37 PM
Congratulations! I've been in the process for almost a year now, still waiting for "the call".

Did you test in San Diego? How long did it take for your BI to clear the security office (mine's been in for about 2 months now)? Have you done your PFT2 yet?

fmxmyway
07-10-2011, 1:42 PM
Way to go man congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LloydXmas250
07-10-2011, 2:26 PM
Congratulations! I've been in the process for almost a year now, still waiting for "the call".

Did you test in San Diego? How long did it take for your BI to clear the security office (mine's been in for about 2 months now)? Have you done your PFT2 yet?

Mine took about a month, give or take a week. I'll be getting a letter and/or email about the PFT2 sometime this coming week. I'm not worried about it too much. I can do the 1.5 miles easily under 13 mins. I ran the 400 meters in high school at about a minute so I can handle half a lap at 46 secs. And then sit up and push ups are just like PFT1. Only thing I'm paranoid about is them refusing to hold ankles on the sit ups which they are supposed to do.

My Oral Board was in San Diego and my PFT2 will be there as well.

Baxter
07-10-2011, 5:04 PM
Good luck at the academy. My bi is still in the security office. On honor first they advise against bringing personal cars. Have fun and stay safe.

anthonyca
07-10-2011, 5:12 PM
Congratulations. My brother's friend is a BP agent. It sounds like a very challenging and exciting job.

veeklog
07-10-2011, 5:13 PM

did they polygraph you ?

I don't know about that; I went to the BP Academy in Glynco back in the late 90's it was "rough." I don't know if what as bad as having "Diablo" as a PT instructor in Charleston, but we did have "El Diablo Blanco" at Glynco which was as bad. I remember being in the mat rooms and after an hour the FLETC staff would have to have a few people clean up the mat rooms because the amount of sweat was disgusting! However, second time through CITP/CBES in 2002 was pretty easy, though, so I give you points there (lol)

fullrearview
07-10-2011, 5:17 PM
Congrats!

Josh3239
07-10-2011, 5:30 PM
Congrats and stay safe :thumbsup:

Alaric
07-10-2011, 6:46 PM
The only thing that worries me about Artesia is the big wall you have to climb as part of the obstacle course. I'm not fond of heights.

+1 on not bringing your car. They say you'll become a taxi service for other cadets, and parking is very limited.

The Bacon Eater
07-10-2011, 7:18 PM
Congratulations and be safe out there.

HarrisonS004
07-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Congrats! kinda scary considering I tested 3 months after you. Im not quite sure Im ready for "the call" in three months, especially if I have like two weeks after before I start.

windrunner50
07-11-2011, 6:31 PM
Congrats...........Stay SAFE!

LloydXmas250
07-11-2011, 7:17 PM
Congrats! kinda scary considering I tested 3 months after you. Im not quite sure Im ready for "the call" in three months, especially if I have like two weeks after before I start.

Where are you in the process?

HarrisonS004
07-12-2011, 11:51 AM
A few weeks into backgrounds. Have done everything except Oral boards, which is next Tuesday for me.
On a side note, I just got to assist BP last night on a bodies in the water call. 16-18 "immigrants" were running from one of my dept. beaches and trying to hide in nearby brush and a school. You could see their overturned boat on shore, we took 16 into custody. Real fun stuff, really affirmed my decision that this is what I want to do.

UNKNOWN SOLDIER
07-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Congrats!!! Thinking about doing this myself.

vmwerks
07-12-2011, 1:02 PM
It's been a long process, not as long as it could have though. I tested in September '10 and got the call that I was selected to become an agent. I am going to be working the Tucson Sector. The real surprised was that I was told I have to report on July 28th. Not much time to put in a two week notice at my current job and get everything in order before leaving.

If anyone here has been through the FLETC in Artesia I'd love to hear some advice. What to bring, physically and mentally. What to expect. I've heard it's a good idea to bring a car if possible. Really any advice is welcome.

I'm so excited about starting this new chapter in my life and I'm anxious to get it started. Thought I'd share. Thanks.

Congratulaitons! Be careful I hear ATF is arming the bad guys...

Miller Time
07-12-2011, 3:11 PM
Congrats on the offer of employment! Have fun ENFORCE'ing the law! (you'll get it later ;))

badduggy
07-12-2011, 3:18 PM
Congrats!
see the movie Harsh Times with Christian Bale. Maybe youll get cherry picked for a "special" assignment.

Laser Sailor
07-13-2011, 6:33 AM
First of all Congrats!

Hopefully I'll be getting the same call soon, I tested in Nov '10 and just had the BI investigator come around to talk to me and all of my references.. Can't wait for the phone call!

TCB Firearms
07-13-2011, 8:22 AM
Congrats...welcome to AZ. Watch your 6 in the field Tucson sector is no joke.....bad mamba jambas about everywhere.

MrMarco
07-13-2011, 8:41 AM
Congrats, stay safe out there.

Garand1911
07-14-2011, 4:43 AM
I don't know about that; I went to the BP Academy in Glynco back in the late 90's it was "rough." I don't know if what as bad as having "Diablo" as a PT instructor in Charleston, but we did have "El Diablo Blanco" at Glynco which was as bad. I remember being in the mat rooms and after an hour the FLETC staff would have to have a few people clean up the mat rooms because the amount of sweat was disgusting! However, second time through CITP/CBES in 2002 was pretty easy, though, so I give you points there (lol)

your not working out if there isnt sweat on the floor. ;)
its worse using stinky un-clean headgear

ArtSki
07-15-2011, 2:49 AM
A few weeks into backgrounds. Have done everything except Oral boards, which is next Tuesday for me.
On a side note, I just got to assist BP last night on a bodies in the water call. 16-18 "immigrants" were running from one of my dept. beaches and trying to hide in nearby brush and a school. You could see their overturned boat on shore, we took 16 into custody. Real fun stuff, really affirmed my decision that this is what I want to do.

thanks for the assist. You and your partner helped me out on top of the bluffs. Good job! :)

BoJackUSMC
07-15-2011, 5:00 PM
Good job, I am still waiting for my background investigator to contact me. I just completed my drug test last week. As of now, I only have background check process left for me.

LloydXmas250
07-15-2011, 9:18 PM
Good job, I am still waiting for my background investigator to contact me. I just completed my drug test last week. As of now, I only have background check process left for me.

With this hiring surge that they're in everything seems to be going a lot faster. If you're not regularly running I'd suggest getting to it. It was when I least expected it that everything suddenly fell into place.

HarrisonS004
07-16-2011, 8:24 PM
With this hiring surge that they're in everything seems to be going a lot faster. If you're not regularly running I'd suggest getting to it. It was when I least expected it that everything suddenly fell into place.

I agree with that one. And Im not finished with the process, but it seems like I might be soon. I suck at running and I wish I would have started way earlier.

mirage2887
07-17-2011, 8:06 PM
congrats bro wish you the best..... I tested in October 2010 an I'm just waiting for my background to clear along with my medical. An also need to get called for a drug test an thats it. From what I have been reading on other sites some people are getting chosen to do polys hopefully Im not one of those.

Nefarious
07-17-2011, 8:28 PM
Congratulations brother
Have fun at the academy!

Big D
07-18-2011, 2:26 PM
thanks for the assist. You and your partner helped me out on top of the bluffs. Good job! :)

OPSEC?

HarrisonS004
07-18-2011, 4:56 PM

Thanks. It was our pleasure. Interesting to see how much of the LEO community is on Calguns.

ArtSki
07-19-2011, 2:04 AM
OPSEC?

Nah.. i don't think so.

greasemonkey
07-20-2011, 9:29 AM
Congrats! I hope you don't get shot at with one of the ATF's Fast'n'Furious rifles.

LloydXmas250
07-20-2011, 5:02 PM
Congrats! I hope you don't get shot at with one of the ATF's Fast'n'Furious rifles.

Thanks I guess. I'd rather not be shot at all regardless of who bought it.