PDA

View Full Version : Walmart stores in CA will be carrying guns again, SOON!!!

bigcalidave
07-10-2011, 2:39 AM
I have it on good authority that Walmart stores across California are working to meet regulations to carry firearms again, in the near future. I think this is a HUGE win for us!!!

Even if it is just rifles... Hell, even if it is just .22s and shotguns, having Walmart get back into selling guns is a giant leap forward in RKBA here in California.

Anyone else heard similar top secret news?

aklover_91
07-10-2011, 2:47 AM
No, but I'm thrilled to hear it.

I was bummed when mine stopped stocking guns, and I just about threw a hissy fit when they stopped stocking ammo because I was active in trap at the time.

Probably no joy for the East Bay though, I'd bet.

Kharn
07-10-2011, 4:30 AM
Walmart publically announced they are reintroducing guns at stores nationwide. At the time of the announcement, only about a thousand stores sold them, their goal is 3000+.

Many stores do not have the gun racks installed yet, you'll have to ask the sporting goods counter if they have any in stock or if you can order from their catalog. I've heard they are not selling handguns in PA, so I'm doubtful MD or CA will see them.

Even DC has talked about asking Walmart to act as a normal FFL in the district at their four stores as the only previous FFL that did business with the public lost his lease and has not found a new location. (and one of our favorite lawyers is suing DC, VA and AG Holder over the lack of FFLs in the district preventing handgun purchases)

sd_shooter
07-10-2011, 5:25 AM
I'll believe it when I see it, but it sounds like a good thing.

I just got back from visiting AZ and it was cool to see guns for sale at the local Walmarts. Then again, it was just low end long guns: Remy 870 and 770s, some Savage, a couple Crickets. Big5 carries all the same guns and the normal Walmart price = Big5 'sale' price.

Dutch3
07-10-2011, 5:38 AM
I have been remaining hopeful that at least some of the stores in "sporting" areas will again be selling firearms. i.e., "Red" counties.

Luieburger
07-10-2011, 6:17 AM
They're about 3 years too late. They missed out on the big boom of 2008-2009.

zhyla
07-10-2011, 7:30 AM
having Walmart get back into selling guns is a giant leap forward in RKBA here in California.

I don't really follow your logic here. Sure, more retailers is good, but I don't see anybody being able to exercise some part of their RKBA that they can't now.

Skipper
07-10-2011, 7:32 AM
Here's their special order catalog:

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/SpecialOrderGunCatalog.pdf

$P-Ritch$
07-10-2011, 7:44 AM
I have it on good authority that Walmart stores across California are working to meet regulations to carry firearms again, in the near future. I think this is a HUGE win for us!!!

Even if it is just rifles... Hell, even if it is just .22s and shotguns, having Walmart get back into selling guns is a giant leap forward in RKBA here in California.

My dad works for Walmart and said he has heard the same thing about the one in Hanford at least. I would expect them to stock, at a minimum, shotguns and .22s. Dove season is a pretty big deal around here. They get pallets of birdshot and clays and just set them down in the aisles. So, carrying shotguns would be the next logical step.

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2011, 7:52 AM
I never knew WM carried handguns in any state. I've seen long guns for sale in TN, TX, OK, CA, NV, AZ, OR, etc. but, I've never seen a WM offering handguns. Anyone care to name a state where WM sells handguns?

killmime1234
07-10-2011, 8:43 AM
I don't really follow your logic here. Sure, more retailers is good, but I don't see anybody being able to exercise some part of their RKBA that they can't now.

RKBA might not have been the correct term the OP was looking for. I imagine what he means is that it's a big step toward the public's opinion of guns shifting as they become more and more prevalent and less and less "evil gadget I saw a bad guy holding that he must've bought in mexico or at a gun show loophole!"

Then, as the public's opinion is slowly shifted away from the generic "anti" mentality it will become easier to repeal nonsensical gun laws.

Shellshocker66
07-10-2011, 8:52 AM
Heck I would be happy if Walmart's sold ammo in my area! Yolo county has a lot of hunters yet their new super store in West Sacramento has no ammo sales.

timdps
07-10-2011, 9:01 AM

Well, there is still the upcoming Big Boom II of 2012-2013... :43:

Tim

Super Chicken
07-10-2011, 9:16 AM
I'm looking forward to them stocking firesticks, reminds me of when my brother and I would peel off from our parents to drool over the rifles & shotguns at Gemco.

Kid Stanislaus
07-10-2011, 9:52 AM
............having Walmart get back into selling guns is a giant leap forward in RKBA here in California.

How so? They'll just undercut the the local gun shops on the most popular items. :(

SDS-Ruger
07-10-2011, 9:54 AM
that would be cool if they started stocking them again. But i would like to see costco get into selling guns or at least ammo.

Esquire
07-10-2011, 9:56 AM

Great news! I'd work part time at WM just to sell guns. :)

hoffmang
07-10-2011, 10:00 AM
This is important. It both proves demand and serves to continue to re-normalize guns.

Heck, D.C. is begging Walmart to sell handguns there :)

-Gene

Kharn
07-10-2011, 10:11 AM
I never knew WM carried handguns in any state. I've seen long guns for sale in TN, TX, OK, CA, NV, AZ, OR, etc. but, I've never seen a WM offering handguns. Anyone care to name a state where WM sells handguns?Alaska, and pre-Clinton almost everywhere IIRC.

Skidmark
07-10-2011, 10:22 AM
How so? They'll just undercut the the local gun shops on the most popular items. :(

Walmart kills off small independent stores and shops. Yes, I've bought some ammoe from them, but I balance that with purchases from small local shops and online retailers. But for guns and accessories, I'll continue to buy through small local shops exclusively. Not only does this help ensure their survival, but I'll also have a place to go where I stand a much better chance of interacting with sales staff who are knowledgeable about the products they carry.

dwtt
07-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Walmart kills off small independent stores and shops. Yes, I've bought some ammoe from them, but I balance that with purchases from small local shops and online retailers. But for guns and accessories, I'll continue to buy through small local shops exclusively. Not only does this help ensure their survival, but I'll also have a place to go where I stand a much better chance of interacting with sales staff who are knowledgeable about the products they carry.

Walmart is no challenge to the local gun store unless the gun store only sells shotguns and hunting rifles. The Walmart here in Fredericksburg, VA, sells guns but it's mostly hunting firearms since hunting is very popular here. The local gun stores selling AR-15s, AKs, and semiauto pistols have nothing to fear from walmart, even in a gun friendly state like VA and noone would freak out if Walmart were to sell AR-15s. I don't think you should blindly believe the union propaganda regarding Walmart. If Walmart wasn't in their crosshairs, then some other retailer like Target or K-Mart would be.

kemasa
07-10-2011, 10:51 AM
I would be surprised if Walmart sells guns in CA again. From what I heard from the CA DOJ, the reason that Walmart stopped selling firearms was over 500 violations of the law in doing the transfers. A deal was made to pay a fine and give up their license.

Skidmark
07-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Walmart is no challenge to the local gun store unless the gun store only sells shotguns and hunting rifles. The Walmart here in Fredericksburg, VA, sells guns but it's mostly hunting firearms since hunting is very popular here. The local gun stores selling AR-15s, AKs, and semiauto pistols have nothing to fear from walmart, even in a gun friendly state like VA and noone would freak out if Walmart were to sell AR-15s. I don't think you should blindly believe the union propaganda regarding Walmart. If Walmart wasn't in their crosshairs, then some other retailer like Target or K-Mart would be.

:rolleyes: That's rich. But my comments had nothing to do with unions, just with the reality of facts on the ground. WalMart bleeds off retail business from smaller shops in the vicinity.

I would bet that California stores will start stocking only the low-end rifles and shotguns, serving the hunting and recreational plinking populations. Very unlikely they would stock handguns, or more powerful long arms. And I still question how well they're going to do with the requisite paperwork.

Big picture, it's a win for us when guns are presented in a more normalized light, and that's what it means for WM to carry them again.

Hippo
07-10-2011, 11:44 AM
If Walmart will stock the KSG i'll be a happy camper. It can be used for hunting... and it takes up minimal shelf space.

j.primo
07-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Awesome! Saiga 12 at Walmart!!! :p

bigcalidave
07-10-2011, 11:57 AM
It's a good thing when more people can afford guns as well. When walmart announced carrying guns in more stores back in April they made public statements that they werent planning on bringing guns to CA stores again. Changing that decision means the largest retailer in the country thinks the climate is ready for guns again.

oaklander
07-10-2011, 11:58 AM
This is good!!!

Money drives laws. Demand creates opportunity, and stuff like that.

California is the NUMBER THREE "gun market" in the country, BTW. I have heard it's 3rd, after Kentucky and Texas - at least according to NICS data.

By making guns that are "legal" In other states -- "legal" here, we are only going to increase this.

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE STATE GET TO #1. This is good for the state economy. It's good for everything.

glockwise2000
07-10-2011, 12:08 PM

Tim

You're that pessimistic? I could only see the annointed one as a one term prez.

To the OP: It is good to know that Wally is returning their gun racks in Kali. I just hope it goes through Kali and not just with other states only. Even cheapo rifle or shotties are a win to RKBA if ever Wally be adding guns in their sporting section.

97F1504RAD
07-10-2011, 12:16 PM
I never knew WM carried handguns in any state. I've seen long guns for sale in TN, TX, OK, CA, NV, AZ, OR, etc. but, I've never seen a WM offering handguns. Anyone care to name a state where WM sells handguns?

Wyoming WM sells handguns.

Sonic_mike
07-10-2011, 12:20 PM
this should be the theme song for the topic at hand.
never gonna get it (http://youtu.be/krcVeo_CcPo)

BigDogatPlay
07-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Given the history between Wal-Mart and CADoJ, I have long thought it would be a cold day in hell before they sold firearms again in California. If the company truly intends to move forward then it's a plus, as noted above, for it helps to normalize firearms and the trade across a much wider demographic here in California.

That said, the guns I've seen in Wal-Marts out of state are largely sporting models, very often less finely finished versions of otherwise popular models made to niche into Wal-Mart's price point. I would never expect to find anything evil or black at a Wal-Mart, ever. FWIW, I buy bulk Remington shotgun shells there, and that's it. Otherwise my ammo money goes to:

1) Local stores that aren't gouging, and they know who they are.

2) Online vendors.

3) Reloading components, sourced locally or online.

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2011, 12:38 PM
This is good!!!

Money drives laws. Demand creates opportunity, and stuff like that.

California is the NUMBER THREE "gun market" in the country, BTW. I have heard it's 3rd, after Kentucky and Texas - at least according to NICS data.

By making guns that are "legal" In other states -- "legal" here, we are only going to increase this.

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE STATE GET TO #1. This is good for the state economy. It's good for everything.

I would have figured that Ca was #1 in total number of sales. Not sales per capita or some other way of figuring. I really find it hard to believe that more guns are sold in KY than in CA.

G60
07-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Wyoming WM sells handguns.

Are you sure? Ive read walmart's firearms policy and it states handguns are only sold in Alaska, and only through a special order catalog.

Also, for the doubters, walmart wouldnt have updated/added a CA specific firearms sales policy in April of this year if they weren't planning on reintroducing them to CA stores.

It all depends on the area too.

As you can see from the special order catalog posted earlier in the thread, the selection will be vast, but limited to sporting type models. There arent any defense style weapons in the catalog.

anthonyca
07-10-2011, 12:43 PM
This is important. It both proves demand and serves to continue to re-normalize guns.

-Gene

double post.

RaceDay
07-10-2011, 12:44 PM

I totally agree. As others have said, the more that guns are at "normal" stores, then the less evil they will appear to the nervous nellies. At my high school (in Virginia) there were still guys with gun racks in the back of the pickup cab. So the attitude was significantly more pro-gun than it was here.

Not to say that everybody was happy about pickup trucks with gun racks. But the disparaging remarks about gun racks weren't out of this fear that the driver would snap and kill everyone (favorite anti technique-- every gun owner is a time bomb about to go off) but rather that the trucks made our parking lot look too hick like the more rural schools in the county.

I'll definitely try to support WM if they carry guns.

anthonyca
07-10-2011, 12:44 PM

-Gene

This is a good point. Although I personally decide not to shop at walmart for my own reasons I am happy to see this.

I remember as a kid going to Kmart, Tri City and other similar stores and breaking away from my mom or grandma and looking in amazement at the guns. For as long as I can remember I have LOVED guns.:D

When my dad was a kid you could buy a gun at the auto parts store with no background check. You could even mail order so many cool guns. Back then guns were not seen so much as evil murderers with minds of their own. It was just a common thing to have around the house or see in a store. Many of us have relatives who brought home war trophy guns and the veteran may have not even really liked guns. Some of them didn't even go buy a gun of their own but that trophy was important to them.

There was a call for grassroots action in the Nordyke case that was also telling. We were asked to list all gun shops of the past that are now gone. I was depressed as one of my favorite places was listed on there. To my joy, there are now 3 nice, very new shops open that are within an easy commute. :D

CessnaDriver
07-10-2011, 12:48 PM
IF they do I will buy one there to show support.

stag6.8
07-10-2011, 12:56 PM
thats great...Its a big move in the right direction..even though itll big like big 5 ...mostly low end stuff....its there....ill be even happier when they start to stock 6.8 spc ammo

kemasa
07-10-2011, 12:56 PM
From 2005:

Wal-Mart to Pay $14.5 Million for California Gun Law Violations

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/walmart_ca_gun_laws.html

It implies that they might be able to sell again though.

More info:

Posted May 09, 2011 @ 09:47 AM

http://www.siskiyoudaily.com/news/business/x173164998/Yreka-Walmart-other-California-stores-will-not-sell-guns

But according to Walmart spokeswoman Ashley Hardie, the Walmart corporation does not currently and has no plans to start selling guns in any of its California stores.

emcon5
07-10-2011, 1:02 PM
Never seen handguns in a Wal-Mart, even growing up in Missouri in the '80s, all they had was rifles.

I think the lack of ammo in Alemeda county is from Tax rules, IIRC it was something about increased corp taxes on stores that sell guns and ammo. It was why Tri-City stopped selling guns a year or so before they closed.

Briancnelson
07-10-2011, 1:04 PM
As I posted a while back, a friend of mine in a position to know had heard this as well. Both he and I were skeptical, but if there's other sources hearing that now that's potentially some good news.

KWB977
07-10-2011, 1:15 PM
They barely can sell ammo, the employees there seem to screw that basic task up.......... Good luck selling guns. But hopefully it will be beneficial to us, but that is asking too much. This is Walmart we are talking about.

I remember years ago they had a catalog of hand guns they could order, the prices IIRC were decent, and they always had a nice selection of rifles........

timdps
07-10-2011, 3:12 PM

You're that pessimistic? I could only see the annointed one as a one term prez.

Originally I wrote 2011-2012 and I probably should have left it that way. I'm pretty sure there will be another boom leading up to the election, so that's phase 1 of the Big Boom II. If he is elected, phase 2 of Big Boom II will kick in hard.

The ultimate results of the Fast and Furious investigation may affect Big Boom II. If very high ranking DOJ people get canned or indicted, it might cool things down a little. If the cover up works, things will heat up quick (sales and more).

As far as Obama getting elected, its going to be determined by whether the Republicans can actually field a viable candidate or not.

Tim

G60
07-10-2011, 3:43 PM
Update to my earlier post. Walmarts California firearms compliance procedures were last updated 7/8/11. =]

jamesob
07-10-2011, 4:00 PM
Getting back on the bandwagon again since there is money to be made.

model63
07-10-2011, 4:01 PM
I'm looking forward to them stocking firesticks, reminds me of when my brother and I would peel off from our parents to drool over the rifles & shotguns at Gemco.

Wow Gemco....not quite Woolworth or Sears Roebuck'ish, but that was pre-Target old school :)

FastFinger
07-10-2011, 4:08 PM

As others have mentioned this is big because it will go a long way to de-demonizing firearms in eyes of the general public. Throughout the year millions of people will stroll through a Walmart and will see a selection of firearms, the guns won't be leaping off the racks by themselves and mowing down women and children, they won't have the blood of innocents dripping out of their actions. They'll simply be displayed and available to buy, just like fishing lures, Cheetos, and every other legal consumer goods.

It's a powerful retort to the lies spewed out by the Bradys and other antis.

The free market is like that. But the free market also rewards sellers who offer consumers something that other sellers don't, variety, knowledge, quality.

Walmart's all have well stocked camera camera departments, despite that there are still plenty of busy and expanding local camera stores. True, many have bit the dust, but then again others have thrived. Just like life in general.

Getting back on the bandwagon again since there is money to be made.

Sounds like a winner to me.

rjh4758
07-10-2011, 11:56 PM
This is a huge victory for gun rights in America!

This will present guns to a group of people that would normally not be exposed to firearms. Walmart can be a very good way to make new gun owners and strengthen our numbers. Gun owners are a minority in the US and every new gun owner is one more person that will not want to have their rights taken away and just might consider that when they vote as I am sure many of us do. For most non gun owner the second amendment has little affect on their personal life and they do not concern themselves with it.

As far as concerns about hurting small shops, I think you will see no impact if any it may help the smaller shops. Walmart carries low end firearms typically, Mossberg, low end Remington, low end Savage, ect. Optics are a far cry from good as well as other accessories. The people I know that have bought from Walmart typically buy their first rifle there and then get accessories elsewhere and in time step up to a better rifle which Walmart does not sell. Walmart is a good opportunity to get new people interested in firearms and will in turn find the local shops and buy from them also.

CessnaDriver
07-11-2011, 12:19 AM

I bought my first rifle a Mini-14 at Gemco when I turned 18.
I also remember K-Mart selling rifles and shotguns.

CessnaDriver
07-11-2011, 12:36 AM
This is a huge victory for gun rights in America!

This will present guns to a group of people that would normally not be exposed to firearms. Walmart can be a very good way to make new gun owners and strengthen our numbers. Gun owners are a minority in the US and every new gun owner is one more person that will not want to have their rights taken away and just might consider that when they vote as I am sure many of us do. For most non gun owner the second amendment has little affect on their personal life and they do not concern themselves with it.

As far as concerns about hurting small shops, I think you will see no impact if any it may help the smaller shops. Walmart carries low end firearms typically, Mossberg, low end Remington, low end Savage, ect. Optics are a far cry from good as well as other accessories. The people I know that have bought from Walmart typically buy their first rifle there and then get accessories elsewhere and in time step up to a better rifle which Walmart does not sell. Walmart is a good opportunity to get new people interested in firearms and will in turn find the local shops and buy from them also.

I don't think it will hurt small shops either.
What I think it will do is make NEW gun owners as seeing them right there at Walmart will have great psycological impact. Seeing them in an everyday store. Yes, it's ok, look, ask, touch, learn, buy, go shooting, re-discover the 2nd amendment and how precious it is.

Kharn
07-11-2011, 2:52 AM
As far as concerns about hurting small shops, I think you will see no impact if any it may help the smaller shops. Walmart carries low end firearms typically, Mossberg, low end Remington, low end Savage, ect.That is just what is in the display rack, they can order Howa, Ruger, Weatherby, Browning and several other quality brands. They usually have a ton of guns in the cage and only a few on display (would you want to buy a Browning O/U that has been handled by the mouth breathers you usually see at Walmart?) or just wait a week for your special order to come in.

Gun stores will always have better black rifles, surplus/Eastern Bloc, tactical models (you won't find a 700P, 870P or 590A1 at Walmart), etc. My local gunshop will tell buyers if they're looking for a plain-jane 870 for birds to go to the nearest Super Walmart because he can't beat their prices, but if you want one with an extended tube for home defense he has four on the wall.

Gryff
07-11-2011, 8:03 AM
Have to say that I'm doubtful that they'll carry firearms in California anytime soon. Wal-Mart hasn't quite been a pillar of 2nd Amendment rights in this state (they don't even carry ammo in my county).

Mr. Beretta
07-11-2011, 8:23 AM
I predict when the long guns hit the California Walmart racks, those stores will stop selling any ammo that can't be fired in shotguns or rifles. Just my gut feeling. Let's see what happens.

gun toting monkeyboy
07-11-2011, 8:43 AM
You guys that hate walmart really need to spend more time out in the real world. When Wallyworld stopped selling guns here in CA, the prices at all of the local stores, even the chains like Turners and Big 5 literally doubled in under 6 months. The cost to the dealers didn't go up. But the consumer's choices were reduced, and those local stores you go on and on about had no problem raping us as soon as we had no other choice. I don't give a rat's posterior about most of the brick and mortar stores. I really don't. If I want a specific gun, I buy it online and have it sent to a local receiving FFL. I don't pay the outrageous prices that the local stores want for the same item, and I don't pay their jacked up $100+ transfer fees. If they want my business, they need to be competitive. If they aren't, too bad, so sad. Walmart selling guns here again would be a huge win for us in general, as it will force the gouging stores to lower their own prices to compete.

-Mb

1859sharps
07-11-2011, 9:07 AM
Walmart did sell handguns pre original Brady bill drama when Clinton was elected. But my memory was even then it wasn't in all stores and I don't believe they ever sold handguns in California. But then they stopped selling handguns before any of their stores showed up in my area.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/national/Walmart-hoping-to-boost-sales-by-selling-guns

supports the return of firearms sales and that Alaska is the only state where they currently sell handguns.

Wherryj
07-11-2011, 9:09 AM
No, but I'm thrilled to hear it.

I was bummed when mine stopped stocking guns, and I just about threw a hissy fit when they stopped stocking ammo because I was active in trap at the time.

Probably no joy for the East Bay though, I'd bet.

You're probably right about the East Bay. I'm surprised that they stock CO2 and airsoft equipment. Such things LOOK almost like real guns...shudder.

gun toting monkeyboy
07-11-2011, 9:18 AM
Yes, they did sell handguns here in California. I remember talking with the guy who worked there shortly after they stopped selling them in the 90s, and he was telling me about many of the handguns he picked up for a song on clearence. This was back when the employees would often stash the discount items in the back so they could get them when they didn't sell. I also remember when Sports Authority sold handguns. I know the one in Fountain Valley carried them until at least 1994.

Gryff
07-11-2011, 9:46 AM
You guys that hate walmart really need to spend more time out in the real world. When Wallyworld stopped selling guns here in CA, the prices at all of the local stores, even the chains like Turners and Big 5 literally doubled in under 6 months. The cost to the dealers didn't go up. But the consumer's choices were reduced, and those local stores you go on and on about had no problem raping us as soon as we had no other choice. I don't give a rat's posterior about most of the brick and mortar stores. I really don't. If I want a specific gun, I buy it online and have it sent to a local receiving FFL. I don't pay the outrageous prices that the local stores want for the same item, and I don't pay their jacked up $100+ transfer fees. If they want my business, they need to be competitive. If they aren't, too bad, so sad. Walmart selling guns here again would be a huge win for us in general, as it will force the gouging stores to lower their own prices to compete.

Spoken like someone who has never in his life owned a small retail business.

The reason that gun store prices went up wasn't so that the owners could go out and buy Mercedes and a 2nd home in the Bahamas. They went up because Wal-Mart forces them to sell at margins so ridiculously low that they are lucky to stay in business.

You realize that most small retail stores sometimes can't even buy products from their distributors at prices lower than what Wal-Mart and Costco sell products to the public for, right? Stores can't buy in the massive volume that WM can, so they don't get even close to the price breaks that WM does. Yet, you think that small gun stores are being selfish by raising prices to reasonable profit margin levels once Wal-Mart is out of the picture.

Sorry that you love a deal so much that you think your local gun store deserves your scorn. Be sure to write a complaint letter and stick it on that store owner's Mercedes, OK? It will be easy to find...it's the Mercedes that looks like the 12-year-old Ford truck or 15-year-old Honda Accord.

G60
07-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Cry more. What are your feelings on local gun shops that can manage to sell everything for 20-30% less than the 'good ol boys'?

Sorry some shops are getting left behind.

Blackhawk556
07-11-2011, 10:06 AM
@@@@hoffmang This is important. It both proves demand and serves to continue to re-normalize guns.Heck, D.C. is begging Walmart to sell handguns there -Gene***************If they sell handguns, will this harm Gura's case?????

kemasa
07-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Take a look at what Walmart does when their competition leaves. In my area, when K-Mart went into bankruptcy and the sales stopped, the Walmart prices went up. I have heard of the same thing in the mid-west. When they are the only game in town, see what you can get and see what you pay.

If all the local FFLs go out of business, what are you going to do? Honestly, do you really want to see if Walmart will do a transfer for you? How about on an expensive firearm? Do you really think that they will do ANY transfers in??? Do you think that there is going to be anyone in the store who is going to be able to send a copy of their FFL? They could not even follow the laws in CA, are you going to trust them to properly handle your firearm? If you buy it new, then the warranty might cover it, just send it in and get it fixed :-).

Yeah, it is the Walmart mentality, low prices at any cost.

gun toting monkeyboy
07-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Gryff, we have run several businesses for more than 30 years, including retail in the medical field. That is even more cut throat and regulated than anything that an FFL has to deal with. So how 'bout you sit down, shut up and quite making baseless assumptions. Yes, the brick and mortar stores have overhead, and can't buy at the same prices a huge retailer can. But they also have the ability to sell things that you won't see at any Walmart or Big 5. The problem lies in the fact that instead of trying to adapt to the new economic reality of the internet age, they still act like they are the only show in town, and try to price their products like they are a monopoly. Some of the smarter stores have brought their prices down, and are more than willing to work with their customers to get them what they want at good prices. No, the margins aren't as good, but they are good enough to stay open and make a profit. But the vast majority would rather base their pricing on the MSRP, and try to lie to their potential customers, telling them what a good deal they are getting. People aren't stupid. You can go on GunBroker and find out roughly what the real price is in about a minute and a half. If you can't adapt to life in the internet age, you don't deserve to be in business in the first place.

As for all the local FFLs going out of business, not a chance. Even if all of the current brick and mortar stores went under today, there will be a new crop of them that pop up. There is just too much demand for their services, and no major retailer would ever be able to pick all of that up. And there is a huge business of receiving FFLs out there that are doing booming business now out of small storefronts and home offices. They are in no danger of going under at all.

And as much as many of you all hate Walmart, remember that even if you never set foot in one, if there is one in your area, it saves you an average of $1400-2000 per year by forcing down prices across the board. That is that much more money that you can spend on things you want instead of on the everyday essentials. That sounds like a win in my book.

-Mb

Briancnelson
07-11-2011, 10:59 AM
The local FFL's won't go out of business, unless all they sell is .22's, low end hunting rifles, and cheap HD shotguns.

Besides there are certain modern gunshops here in Cali who are right now, this second, kicking the pants off most of the old style good old boy gun stores, both on price and customer service.

It's called free enterprise, and I welcome it. It's one of those freedoms we have the 2nd amendment to protect.

CessnaDriver
07-11-2011, 11:07 AM
How cheap can Walmart sell them?
They aren't going to be importing any firearms from China I don't think which is how they do almost everything else they sell right?

GrayWolf09
07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Wow Gemco....not quite Woolworth or Sears Roebuck'ish, but that was pre-Target old school :)

Wow, Gemco -- that brings back memories. I used to buy bullets and reloading supplies at Gemco.

vmwerks
07-11-2011, 11:33 AM
I bought my first rifle a Mini-14 at Gemco when I turned 18.
I also remember K-Mart selling rifles and shotguns.

GEMCO - my parents were members...

I bought my first gun, a Winchester Model 94, from Coast to Coast Hardware at the Fairway Park Shopping Center in Hayward. It was $89.95 on sale, I bought it and a box of shells for about a $100 IIRC. Actually my mother did the purchase as I was only 13.

The first rifle I purchased on my own was a Ranch Rifle from a membership store that used to sit where the Walmart on Hepserian is now, they were a membership store. The ad was for a regular Mini-14 but they were out so the manager approved me for the Ranch Rifle at the sale price of the Mini-14. :)

The first pistol was a 4" 686 target model from Trader's in San Leandro. I still have the model 94.

Ripon83
07-11-2011, 11:35 AM
My first legal gun purchase as a 30/30 Marlyn from Big 5. $199 special....I traded it a year later for a Colt Detectives Special 38....dang that I should have kept.

MolonLabe2008
07-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Wait. I thought we were supposed to hate Walmart.

gun toting monkeyboy
07-11-2011, 1:28 PM
The local FFL's won't go out of business, unless all they sell is .22's, low end hunting rifles, and cheap HD shotguns.

Besides there are certain modern gunshops here in Cali who are right now, this second, kicking the pants off most of the old style good old boy gun stores, both on price and customer service.

Exactly. Look at Parallax Tactical in San Diego. Their prices are within a few bucks of what I would pay for something online in most cases. If you add in the cost of shipping, it is almost a dead heat. Every time I go in there they are busy. Then look at SoCal Gun less than 10 miles away. Their shelves are getting bare. They have 4-5 clerks standing around doing nothing every time I am in there. You can practically hear the crickets chirping. What is the difference? One company has figured out how to run a gun business, one is still trying to run one like they did 20 years ago. Which one do you think will still be around in 10 years? How about 5 years? How about 3? And guess which one I won't miss at all? The one that charges $89 for a stripped lower? Or the one that wants $214 for one? Hmmm... Tough call there.

-Mb

Barbarossa
07-11-2011, 1:37 PM
I'd be thrilled if they just sold ammo in Alameda county again.

Quser.619
07-11-2011, 1:58 PM
Exactly. Look at Parallax Tactical in San Diego. Their prices are within a few bucks of what I would pay for something online in most cases. If you add in the cost of shipping, it is almost a dead heat. Every time I go in there they are busy. Then look at SoCal Gun less than 10 miles away. Their shelves are getting bare. They have 4-5 clerks standing around doing nothing every time I am in there. You can practically hear the crickets chirping. What is the difference? One company has figured out how to run a gun business, one is still trying to run one like they did 20 years ago. Which one do you think will still be around in 10 years? How about 5 years? How about 3? And guess which one I won't miss at all? The one that charges $89 for a stripped lower? Or the one that wants $214 for one? Hmmm... Tough call there.
-Mb

Completely concur. Parallax rocks & DAS in Solana Beach as well. Both provide service, answer questions & get the CA gun culture. The key is service. Something Walmart will never provide. I will continue to support both local shops, but may buy a cheap .22 from Walmart & continue to buy cheap plinking ammo there as well!

FastFinger
07-11-2011, 2:16 PM

-Mb

Spot on. I'm pretty tight with the dollar, but I often hit the local hardware store even though I know a 10 minute drive to Home depot will save me some cash. The local guys take the time to answer questions, will special order, get me in & out a lot quicker, and I just enjoy interacting with them. Over the year I'll easily spend a couple of hundred more going there, and have no problem with that.

No different with a gun shop - there are good ones and the ones that will be dead in a year or two. The ones who pay attention to the market and customer service will do fine.

There was a post about some gun shop that didn't want to have a presence here on CGN because it seemed like it was just inviting criticism. News flash -- the internet is here to stay, adapt or die. Yelp, CGN, etc can't make or break you, it's how you run your store that determines your fate. Online interaction just accelerates the process.

Ditto Walmart.

Cowboy T
07-11-2011, 2:29 PM
I have been remaining hopeful that at least some of the stores in "sporting" areas will again be selling firearms. i.e., "Red" counties.

To hell with "red" or "blue" garbage, man, this is a Constitutional issue, and it applies to *everybody*. I look forward to seeing Walmarts carry them all over the nation.

IrishPirate
07-11-2011, 2:34 PM

and that's bad because????........i'm all for supporting local shops, but when local shops are jacking up prices just because they can, it's nice to have someone put them in check. If they'll match WalMart's prices, i'll buy local. If not, then it's their fault for not being more business savvy.

I wish Target would stock guns.....:D

Cowboy T
07-11-2011, 2:35 PM
How cheap can Walmart sell them?
They aren't going to be importing any firearms from China I don't think which is how they do almost everything else they sell right?

Wal-Mart is rightly called "China-Mart", yes, but with guns and ammo, it's a bit different. I've seen some Wal-Marts out in Virginia that do carry guns--it blew me away the first time I ever saw that. The brands I've seen in those Wal-Marts are Mossberg, Remington, Ruger (the 10/22), and Marlin. Most of the Mossbergs and Remingtons were 500- and 870-series shotguns, respectively. The Marlins looked like 22LR's as well.

The only foreign ammo I've seen in a Wal-Mart is the RWS 9mm and the TulAmmo .223. Everything else looked like it was American (Remington, Winchester, Federal, CCI, etc.).

jwkincal
07-11-2011, 2:37 PM

I think they did, once upon a long ago... at least I have memories of seeing them there. Perhaps it was only BB guns, but I thought that they had actual ammo and sporting long arms in their sporting goods section. Sometime in the late 80s or early 90's they took it all out.

I could just be suffering from dementia, however...

bigcalidave
07-11-2011, 2:54 PM

I wish Costco would stock 6 packs of guns :) Right next to the 1yr food supply in a pail.

Merc1138
07-11-2011, 2:55 PM
Gun stores will always have better black rifles, surplus/Eastern Bloc, tactical models (you won't find a 700P, 870P or 590A1 at Walmart), etc. My local gunshop will tell buyers if they're looking for a plain-jane 870 for birds to go to the nearest Super Walmart because he can't beat their prices, but if you want one with an extended tube for home defense he has four on the wall.

Exactly. This is what the local gun shops around here do when people want mossbergs or 870's priced like Big5 sporting goods ads.

Yes, Walmart gets ridiculous pricing on some items due to the amount they buy at a time. Yes, it also means that a small business specializing in selling tubesocks won't be able to compete with walmart's tubesock pricing. It doesn't mean every small shop in the area will go out of business. As other people have mentioned, camera shops still exist because walmart doesn't order $1000 DSLR bodies in the same quantity they do $100 point and shoot cameras so shops still do compete with walmart.

The way you gloom and doom naysayers keep imagining things, no small business that sells anything remotely similar to walmart should exist. Yet I can find pet shops, camera shops, video game shops(and I don't mean gamestop), bookstores(lol borders and b&n), furniture stores, auto parts stores, grocery stores, etc. all over the place run by normal people who happen to be small business owners.

Hell, you guys think walmart is bad for local economies? Have you never heard of buying goods online? I can walk into a store and look up pricing for places around the world on my phone. Yet small businesses have not only survived, they have THRIVED with this level of competition from customers willing to wait a few days to receive the item. Times change, and business models change. Walmart moving to town simply means changes are going to have to occur, not the end of the world. Stop wasting your time watching Michael Moore's garbage.

xxINKxx
07-11-2011, 2:58 PM
If my local wallyworld starts selling them, ill be first to buy an 870 from them if they carry that..

My walmart in AZ already looks like a gun shop minus the guns. They have more ammo and accesories then most of the small gun shops in socal haha

It will be funny saying "hey honey, im gunna head down to walmart and buy a 24 pack of diet coke and a remington 870, need anything?"

CessnaDriver
07-11-2011, 3:07 PM
It will be funny saying "hey honey, im gunna head down to walmart and buy a 24 pack of diet coke and a remington 870, need anything?"

Eff an A right!

And a double size of liberty and freedom!
The antis will pop a blood vessel. :D

spddrcr
07-11-2011, 3:37 PM

small local shops kill off small local shops with their bad business practices. there's a local hobby store where i live where the owner is very business savvy and has written articles for several small business journals yet he cant figure out why on some days his shop makes way less money then on other days. When i informed him that no one likes the employee he has for that shift because the guy doesn't actually help people but sits and talks on his phone or plays card games with his friends instead of helping customers he swapped the employees shift and next thing you know he started making money yet started losing money for the other shift.

pricing is a whole nother issue, if small stores want to compete with everything else they cant jack their prices so high that people would buy online/ or from the big box stores. before someone gives me the "yea but the big store can buy in bulk" argument i can tell you a simple solution, little stores can do the same by joining with other smaller stores in surrounding cities:eek:

barthel
07-11-2011, 3:52 PM
I'd be thrilled if they just sold ammo in Alameda county again.

This, except change it to "Los Angeles"

Call me a cynic (I prefer to think of it a being a "realist") but I'll believe it when I see it. I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but I doubt I will. The ones around me don't even carry ammo.

dwtt
07-11-2011, 4:27 PM
small local shops kill off small local shops with their bad business practices. there's a local hobby store where i live where the owner is very business savvy and has written articles for several small business journals yet he cant figure out why on some days his shop makes way less money then on other days. When i informed him that no one likes the employee he has for that shift because the guy doesn't actually help people but sits and talks on his phone or plays card games with his friends instead of helping customers he swapped the employees shift and next thing you know he started making money yet started losing money for the other shift.

pricing is a whole nother issue, if small stores want to compete with everything else they cant jack their prices so high that people would buy online/ or from the big box stores. before someone gives me the "yea but the big store can buy in bulk" argument i can tell you a simple solution, little stores can do the same by joining with other smaller stores in surrounding cities:eek:

This is true, and the ACE hardware store cooperative is an obvious example that the anti-Walmart people ignore. From what I've seen, when someone drinks the union kool-aide, there's nothing in reality that will convince them otherwise. For those of you who are not so well informed, this idea that Walmart kills off small local stores is the result of union propaganda that has been repeated in the media for years.

Merc1138
07-11-2011, 5:23 PM
This is true, and the ACE hardware store cooperative is an obvious example that the anti-Walmart people ignore. From what I've seen, when someone drinks the union kool-aide, there's nothing in reality that will convince them otherwise. For those of you who are not so well informed, this idea that Walmart kills off small local stores is the result of union propaganda that has been repeated in the media for years.

Which is hilarious since the shops most likely(small specialty shops) to see a drop in business due to walmart aren't even union to begin with. But yes, it's indeed propaganda spread by unions since walmart isn't a unionized workforce.

jwkincal
07-11-2011, 6:03 PM
This, except change it to "Los Angeles"

Call me a cynic (I prefer to think of it a being a "realist") but I'll believe it when I see it. I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but I doubt I will. The ones around me don't even carry ammo.

They do in LA County... it's just in the City of LA that they don't.

I live in LA County and my local WallyWorld is gonna get some of my ammo-buying business tonight...

Mr. Beretta
07-11-2011, 6:21 PM
I wish Sears would start selling guns again.

I remember being with my Dad when he purchased a pump shotgun from Sears on Cleveland Avenue in San Diego in 1960. On the way out, we stopped by the Candy Counter and bought a bag of hot roasted, salted cashews.

Ah.....Those were the days!

Skidmark
07-11-2011, 6:52 PM

I bought a bunch o' stuff at an ACE store last weekend, they're the best. Old-time hardware stores, operating under the big name. When I have a question, or a hard-to-find part, it's the only place I'll go.

p.s. My father bought one of his revolvers from Roos-Atkins in San Francisco, way back in the ancient days... I still have the receipt.

p.p.s. Unions made America strong.

1859sharps
07-11-2011, 7:21 PM
The more correct statement is that Walmart kills SOME (not all, but some) local economies. And that isn't just Union propaganda.

it's been a while since I read up on this, my memory was that the case studies that support this claim dealt with towns that really couldn't support a 100,000 sq foot super store. But by the time Walmart pulled the plug the local economy had been changed for the worst and the town was left with a property that wasn't that attractive anymore.

But the question that would need to be answered, and I don't remember if this detail was in the case studies I read 10+ years ago, is how many places this happened. what is the percentage of smaller towns that were harmed?

And it's not all Walmart's fault in these case, the local City Council could have done it's own study and really worked out how large a town/county is needed to support a Walmart store and said no thank you.

It is possible to compete with Walmart, in conjunction with the case study showing that they could cause problems we also looked at case studies of what people did to successfully complete.

As for unions... historically they maybe able to point to things they did that improved life and contribute to making America better. Key word is historically. right now they are rapidly heading down the path of being apart to the problem. hopefully their members wake up and realize their Union may not really be looking out for them (the individual) verse the image of the Union. I have personally been questioning that Unions really have their members best interests at heart for going on a couple decades now. They might have at one point...but today???? one has to wonder.

SDS-Ruger
07-11-2011, 8:47 PM
I wish Costco would stock 6 packs of guns :) Right next to the 1yr food supply in a pail.

Ya with the palates of ammo on the other side.:rofl:
joking aside has anyone ever asked why costco does not sell ammo. I heard from a friend of mine saying that they have a no gun policy, but why do they then sell gun-safes?

jpigeon
07-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Wow that would be very nice to walk into a walmart and see guns once again. Been a very long time. They still had them in the Riverside store for awhile even after they stopped selling them...

Merc1138
07-11-2011, 11:04 PM
The more correct statement is that Walmart kills SOME (not all, but some) local economies. And that isn't just Union propaganda.

it's been a while since I read up on this, my memory was that the case studies that support this claim dealt with towns that really couldn't support a 100,000 sq foot super store. But by the time Walmart pulled the plug the local economy had been changed for the worst and the town was left with a property that wasn't that attractive anymore.

But the question that would need to be answered, and I don't remember if this detail was in the case studies I read 10+ years ago, is how many places this happened. what is the percentage of smaller towns that were harmed?

And it's not all Walmart's fault in these case, the local City Council could have done it's own study and really worked out how large a town/county is needed to support a Walmart store and said no thank you.

It is possible to compete with Walmart, in conjunction with the case study showing that they could cause problems we also looked at case studies of what people did to successfully complete.

Yes, it is true that some towns have gone to crap when a walmart shows up or gotten worse when a walmart leaves. But like you pointed out, those places didn't have the economy to support a store like that in the first place.

For example in Fremont there are two walmarts maybe 2 miles apart from eachother. Yet there are still 2 locally owned bike shops, a locally owned gun shop, at least 1 camera shop between both walmarts, Ace hardware stores that survived Home Depot and Lowes, a local computer hardware store in Newark(might as well be a district of Fremont) that outlasted CompUSA and Circuit City while still surviving agains Fry's Best Buy and Walmart, pretty good handful of jewelry stores, and I could go on and on.

The difference is that the area where these two walmarts are at, wasn't a small town in the middle of nowhere with a population of 25,000(the combined population of Fremont and Newark is something like 250,000).

The state of the previously existing local economy is just something else that people are willing to ignore just for the sake of pushing their agendas.

IETonyR
07-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Here's a thought. Equipping/retrofitting a store with the facilities, both personnel and physical, to inventory and sell the firearms is a huge investment. Would Walmart even entertain this if they knew the Federl Gov't (Obama) was trying to make it more difficult, if not impossible, for us civilians to purchase these firearms? Maybe they are "working under the radar" to make sure this HUGE source of revenue for them does not dry up.

Just my take on this. Major Corporations do not do these types of investments unless they know there are long term returns on the investment. Call me an optimist, but this could be the start of something big. We know they have deep pockets and a huge lobbying force...

Tony

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
07-14-2011, 11:28 PM

I remember being with my Dad when he purchased a pump shotgun from Sears on Cleveland Avenue in San Diego in 1960.

Was it a J.C Higgins model?

Guns in Walmart stores do reflect a sense of "normalcy". I think that will be a positive thing.

It seems I heard that at one time K-Mart was the number one volume dealer of ammo in the US (I don't have a source for this). After Columbine they stopped selling ammo. Then look what happened to them.

Bill Carson
07-14-2011, 11:43 PM
They barely can sell ammo, the employees there seem to screw that basic task up.......... Good luck selling guns. But hopefully it will be beneficial to us, but that is asking too much. This is Walmart we are talking about.

I remember years ago they had a catalog of hand guns they could order, the prices IIRC were decent, and they always had a nice selection of rifles........

This exactly. they have signs up in the stores that read federal law requires proof of residence to buy handgun ammo but there is no federal law.

lpspinner
07-15-2011, 12:05 AM
So would this mean that I could meet up at, say 10PM on a Sunday, to do a PPT with another CalGunner ?

Who would want to leave their new acquisition at WalMart for 10 days?

bigcalidave
07-15-2011, 1:53 AM
Who would want to leave their new acquisition at WalMart for 10 days?

It HAS to go into a safe / cage, it has to be secure, and Walmart has security staff working 24-7.

Excelsior
07-15-2011, 2:14 AM
Given the history between Wal-Mart and CADoJ, I have long thought it would be a cold day in hell before they sold firearms again in California. If the company truly intends to move forward then it's a plus, as noted above, for it helps to normalize firearms and the trade across a much wider demographic here in California.

That said, the guns I've seen in Wal-Marts out of state are largely sporting models, very often less finely finished versions of otherwise popular models made to niche into Wal-Mart's price point. I would never expect to find anything evil or black at a Wal-Mart, ever. FWIW, I buy bulk Remington shotgun shells there, and that's it. Otherwise my ammo money goes to:

2) Online vendors.

That's a bunch of FUD. I don't see ANY major gunmakers creating special (cheapened) versions of "otherwise popular models" specifically for Wal*Mart. That would ultimately be suicide.

Could I see Wal*Mart start selling them own line of "Ted Williams" rifles and shotguns? Yup. I could even see Remington and the rest making special models just to Wal*Mart -- maybe. But cheapening their existing model? No way. FUD>

Anchors
07-15-2011, 6:39 AM
I am stoked on Walmart selling guns! One of my favorite things about Arizona is taking people from out of state to a Super Walmart. haha. I haven't seen any of the Supers here in California.

They're about a year and a half early, actually (if Obama gets his second term).

Excelsior
07-15-2011, 9:04 AM

As for unions... historically they maybe able to point to things they did that improved life and contribute to making America better. Key word is historically. right now they are rapidly heading down the path of being apart to the problem. hopefully their members wake up and realize their Union may not really be looking out for them (the individual) verse the image of the Union. I have personally been questioning that Unions really have their members best interests at heart for going on a couple decades now. They might have at one point...but today???? one has to wonder.

I'm not sure that city councils have either the moral or legal ability to do that. Sure they can throw multiple land use roadblocks in Wal*Mart's way as they have done in Atascadero, CA for instance.

Where I live I can choose to drive 30 miles north or 12 miles south to a Wal*Mart just like thousands of others do each day thanks to the local business owner's mafia. They'll get theirs in time...

_-Steel-_
07-15-2011, 10:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken,That was the period of time when Obama won the "Firearms salesman of all time" award? ;)

NoJoke
07-15-2011, 11:19 PM
I fired off an email to walmart corporate and told'em they're doing the right thing. The American 2a thing. :usa: :D

Excelsior
07-16-2011, 1:23 AM
I fired off an email to walmart corporate and told'em they're doing the right thing. The American 2a thing. :usa: :D

Wal*Mart could care less about the 2A. All they want to do is turn a buck.

Bill Carson
07-16-2011, 1:40 AM

If Wal-mart is on our side than we must be on the wrong side.

Skidmark
07-16-2011, 8:55 AM

They could care less? Meaning, in effect, they care more? :confused:

hairtumor
07-25-2011, 4:23 PM
just talked to the guy at the ammo counter at my San Diego Walmart and he said Walmart hired an outside firm to run background checks on all employees that will be involved in gun sales. He was also told they all need a COE. That sounds like a company moving towards gun sales :D

Briancnelson
07-25-2011, 4:29 PM

I remember being with my Dad when he purchased a pump shotgun from Sears on Cleveland Avenue in San Diego in 1960. On the way out, we stopped by the Candy Counter and bought a bag of hot roasted, salted cashews.

Ah.....Those were the days!

My 30-06 is an old J.C. Higgins from Sears, the ones that had the action made by Husqvarna. Ahh the good old days when you could get a cheap Swedish Mauser action in a department store.

Course, it's been a bit retrofitted since~

dfletcher
07-25-2011, 5:19 PM

That mirrors my experience staying in southern Oregon. There are WalMarts all over the Grants Pass, Medford & Ashland area and many, many small gun stores. If you want a 10/22 new and cheap - head to Walmart. Same with shotguns and a few basic centerfire long guns. But you're not going to find handguns or an AK nor an AR, nothing used and not much in the way of accessories. Outfits like Sportsmans Warehouse are more of a threat to the small gun store, and still the small guy does well up there.

Most gun owners are too into the chase - finding, digging around, griping, getting something neat to be satisfied with a simple "I'll take that" from an unknowing clerk.

dfletcher
07-25-2011, 5:22 PM

The same could be said for HMOs, unions, drug companies and the Catholic church.

If profit gets WalMart into the gun game that's fine with me, I figure that's why businesses do what they do anyway.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
07-25-2011, 6:01 PM
I hope they start selling them so they can get fined again, California needs the money they will be on them like a hawk on search for prey.:devil2:

Bill Carson
07-25-2011, 6:05 PM
I hope they start selling them so they can get fined again, California needs the money they will be on them like a hawk on search for prey.:devil2:

THis

Merc1138
07-25-2011, 6:06 PM
The same could be said for HMOs, unions, drug companies and the Catholic church.

If profit gets WalMart into the gun game that's fine with me, I figure that's why businesses do what they do anyway.

Seriously, it's not like walmart sells everything else they do as charity for society because the people running the company are the world's biggest philanthropists.

A retailer selling a product to make money... what a shock!

monk
07-25-2011, 7:17 PM
Looking at this based solely on profit, it means companies are realizing more and more that gun lovers are an untapped market as far as funds go. That's a good sign in my book.

dfletcher
07-25-2011, 8:16 PM
Looking at this based solely on profit, it means companies are realizing more and more that gun lovers are an untapped market as far as funds go. That's a good sign in my book.

Put another way, they realize they'll make more $$$ with us than without us. I'm sure WalMart has figured some folks will gripe, but they've determined we're a net gain for them. I'll take it.

mondo707
11-18-2011, 4:23 AM
You know I never knew Walmart sold firearms... I knew kmart did... But for Walmart to sell ammo??? That's unamerican but luckly my Walmart still sells ammo....

Kharn
11-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Walmarts in my area either already sells firearms, or have placed "Coming Soon!" signs in the gun display cases (that held gun cases or BB guns or muzzle loaders since the real guns were removed years ago). In the free states, some Walmarts are selling Bushmaster and Sig AR15s.

Blackhawk556
11-18-2011, 10:27 AM
So has there been solid, 100% proof that we will get firearms in CA walmarts???

Lancear15
11-18-2011, 10:32 AM
but I'll also have a place to go where I stand a much better chance of interacting with sales staff who are knowledgeable about the products they carry.

haha, funny.

kemasa
11-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Still no Walmarts in CA with a FFL.

Wherryj
11-18-2011, 2:04 PM
I'll believe it when I see it, but it sounds like a good thing.

I just got back from visiting AZ and it was cool to see guns for sale at the local Walmarts. Then again, it was just low end long guns: Remy 870 and 770s, some Savage, a couple Crickets. Big5 carries all the same guns and the normal Walmart price = Big5 'sale' price.

Yeah, but who would ever buy a gun at Big5 UNLESS it was on sale?

Dr.Lou
11-18-2011, 4:27 PM
The Walmarts here in Alaska rival many large gun stores. Nothing like buying your prescriptions, toothpaste, underwear, tires and a 500 S&W all in one place. lol

Sturnovik
11-18-2011, 4:58 PM

2) Online vendors.

I agree, or at least that's where my money goes ammo wise.

BigDogatPlay
11-18-2011, 5:08 PM
Still no Walmarts in CA with a FFL.

:twoweeks:

kemasa
11-18-2011, 5:54 PM

It will be a bit longer than that if they still don't have a FFL :-).

LBDamned
11-18-2011, 6:02 PM
if there ever was even a viable hint that CA Walmart was going to carry firearms it would be all over the news.

choprzrul
11-18-2011, 7:52 PM
A search of the ATF document of CA FFL holders as of October 2011 (http://www.atf.gov/about/foia/download/ffl-list-2011/10/1011-ffl-list-california.txt) comes up with zip for "Walmart" or "Wal-Mart".

Unless their application is in the pipeline, I don't see how they could be planning on selling firearms.

LBDamned
11-18-2011, 8:01 PM
^^^ 7-11 is gonna sell ammo... spread the word :TFH:

choprzrul
11-18-2011, 8:05 PM
^^^ 7-11 is gonna sell ammo... spread the word :TFH:

Wadda' mean gonna? I already by caps fo my Glock fo-tay out back.....

LBDamned
11-18-2011, 8:11 PM
Wadda' mean gonna? I already by caps fo my Glock fo-tay out back.....

dayummm homeslice.... hook a brotha up!

:D

choprzrul
11-18-2011, 8:25 PM
dayummm homeslice.... hook a brotha up!

:D

In other news, I wonder if each Walmart store manager will have the license in their name rather than the store?

LBDamned
11-18-2011, 8:27 PM
In other news, I wonder if each Walmart store manager will have the license in their name rather than the store?

it's highly doubtful that (m)any CA Walmart Manager is familiar with the operation of a firearm, much less what it takes to sell one.

Kharn
11-19-2011, 5:11 AM
Wal-mart would be the license holder, not the manager.

kemasa
11-19-2011, 11:30 AM
If the manager quit, then the store would have a serious problem. It is possible that they could outsource the firearm sales, which would mean that it would be harder to figure out if a store has a FFL since you would have to look at the address.

Based on the reason why Walmart does not sell firearms in CA, I suspect that it would be difficult for them to sell firearms in CA unless they somehow convince the CA DOJ that they can do a better job and not have so many violations.

BigDogatPlay
11-19-2011, 2:41 PM
It will be a bit longer than that if they still don't have a FFL :-).

Apparently my sarcasm was too subtle.... :D

There've been threads going for months about how Wal-Mart is getting back into the gun business in California. So far they've all amounted to zilch. Wal-Mart isn't selling guns here and there is no credible evidence, aside from employee gossip, that they are going to anytime soon. The history of why they stopped selling guns in California also factors in strongly. They had serious problems, and it cost them more than a couple of bucks to get out from under those problems.

As I've posted elsewhere, I'll believe it the day I walk in to a Wally to buy shotgun shells and see firearms behind the glass and a DROS system on the counter. Until then.....

kemasa
11-19-2011, 3:05 PM
I guess you did not get that I was trying to add a bit of humor :-). Perhaps I should have said that since they don't have a FFL, it will be 4 weeks :-).

thayne
09-28-2014, 5:44 PM
Still waiting.... :oji:

epilepticninja
09-28-2014, 6:29 PM
^^Necro-ban! Damn dude, how big of a shovel did you use to dig this fossil out of the ground with?

dc2allday
09-28-2014, 6:31 PM
:rolleyes:

sd_shooter
09-28-2014, 8:13 PM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3358261248/h8163970E/

Victor Cachat
09-28-2014, 9:04 PM
Someone crunched the numbers and figured out they could clear another $1B before Barry leaves office if they start selling guns in the PRK next year.

ColdDeadHands1
09-28-2014, 9:18 PM
The Walmarts I've been to in Colorado, Arizona, and Texas have far better selection and prices than ANY gun store in California!

anthem
09-28-2014, 9:18 PM
I have it on good authority

Sums up Calguns....

ralph.garmin
09-28-2014, 9:23 PM

SonofWWIIDI
09-28-2014, 9:49 PM
Been getting old just waiting for OP's prediction to come true.

:oji:

They can't even keep ammo in stock!

And, next year, they open a new bass pro here in San Jose. Yeah, they don't carry groceries, or sundries, but I can get that at Costco...right across the street from the new bass pro.

SanDiegoMan
09-28-2014, 10:12 PM
support your red commi masters by shopping at Walmarx.

Danodog
09-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Bought my GP-100 from Walmart in the San Diego area many moons ago.

MustangSteveGT
09-29-2014, 1:41 AM
Oh nice. Maybe we'll get decent lower priced Colt 6920's I see pics posted of from Wal Marts out of state and not have to order one online through an FFL to get that price or better.

Wiz-of-Awd
09-29-2014, 6:45 AM

More national firearms retailers = larger public acceptance = _______________

A.W.D.

bigcalidave
09-29-2014, 7:22 AM
Geez, really? Someone dug this up? This was store manager level information at the time, talking to a local one at a business meeting. They had said they were setting up the cage for firearms at the time, expected the ffl and employee training in a few months. I don't know why they seem to have abandoned the idea, walmart everywhere else does great with firearms sales. I posted this hoping that others with more info might share it.

They probably tried to figure out how they could keep enough firearms in stock to make it worth the loss of shelf space / sq footage for other products and gave up. Until recently the last few years haven't been the easiest time for a store to get good inventory.

Creating a gun section in every California walmart, just to have empty shelves, would not have been a good decision.

Sutcliffe
09-29-2014, 7:38 AM
The Walmarts I've been to in Colorado, Arizona, and Texas have far better selection and prices than ANY gun store in California!

I seriously hate this state.

Jimi Jah
09-29-2014, 8:41 AM
Not available in Reseda.

kemasa
09-29-2014, 9:50 AM
Based on all of the violations in the past, I seriously doubt that Walmart in CA will ever have a FFL again unless they really change how they do business.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-29-2014, 10:31 AM
support your red commi masters by shopping at Walmarx.

:TFH: There is always at least one of these that doesn't understand economics 101. :facepalm: Seriously dude. Please at least try to have some grip on the basics of terms like "Communism" and "Marx" before commenting.

-Mb

Dr.Lou
09-29-2014, 10:49 AM

You should check out the Walmart in Anchorage, AK. It rivals most large gun/sporting good stores - saw my first 500 S&W at that Walmart!

thayne
09-29-2014, 11:53 AM
^^Necro-ban! Damn dude, how big of a shovel did you use to dig this fossil out of the ground with?

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3358261248/h8163970E/

Geez, really? Someone dug this up? This was store manager level information at the time, talking to a local one at a business meeting. They had said they were setting up the cage for firearms at the time, expected the ffl and employee training in a few months. I don't know why they seem to have abandoned the idea, walmart everywhere else does great with firearms sales. I posted this hoping that others with more info might share it.

They probably tried to figure out how they could keep enough firearms in stock to make it worth the loss of shelf space / sq footage for other products and gave up. Until recently the last few years haven't been the easiest time for a store to get good inventory.

Creating a gun section in every California walmart, just to have empty shelves, would not have been a good decision.

Haha! Couldn't resist. It came up in a google search and I remembered it from way back when.

CalNRA
09-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Not available in Reseda.

I lol'ed at this one.

LBDamned
09-29-2014, 12:21 PM
if there ever was even a viable hint that CA Walmart was going to carry firearms it would be all over the news.

just sayin'...

mr2ndamendment
09-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Just moved to Utah recently and did a double-take the first time I saw a Wal*Mart product tag that said "COLT LE6920 5.56mm RIFLE." It's great seeing rifles and shotguns for sale at Wal*Mart. Although I'd never buy any firearm from Wal*Mart for various reasons, it's just great to have it here.

We got a gas station down the road that sells long guns and any hardware store worth its salt stocks long guns and handguns. Hopefully the "old school days" will come back in a very new way. Looking forward to the news, I'll keep up on this.

Flintlock Tom
09-29-2014, 2:38 PM
So...any day now?

;)

SanDiegoMan
09-29-2014, 4:52 PM
:TFH: There is always at least one of these that doesn't understand economics 101. :facepalm: Seriously dude. Please at least try to have some grip on the basics of terms like "Communism" and "Marx" before commenting.

-Mb

I mean the fake Commis (China), who claim themselves to be communist while an awful lot of capitalism is going on...

Drivedabizness
09-29-2014, 8:41 PM

WalMart is all about operating on razor thin margins. Compliance with CA's stupid laws cuts too deep into the razor

gun toting monkeyboy
09-29-2014, 9:00 PM
I mean the fake Commis (China), who claim themselves to be communist while an awful lot of capitalism is going on...

I wouldn't say "masters". Who suckered who into lending billions of dollars to their economic enemies in return for worthless pieces of paper? We have the money, they have IOUs that we may or may not pay back. If they piss us off, we refuse to pay them back and tank their economy. Who exactly has who by the short hairs here?

-Mb

Occams Rasor
09-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Hell, I would be happy if they just would carry ammo! I live in Alameda county and no Walmarts carry ammo.

kemasa
09-30-2014, 1:47 PM
WalMart is all about operating on razor thin margins. Compliance with CA's stupid laws cuts too deep into the razor

That was not the issue. The issue was 500+ violations, or in other words not being able to follow the laws. They made a deal to give up their FFLs so that the fine was reduced and the problem went away.

Beroen
09-30-2014, 4:50 PM
The wallmart where the guy got shot with the pellet gun pulled all the pellet guns today

12voltguy
09-30-2014, 5:21 PM

Sums up Calguns....

what did you expect?
You post a thread like this, it will be remembered forever.lolke Travis's thread
it was replied to today
:D:D:D:D

Warning to all Calgunners!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=621178

five.five-six
09-30-2014, 5:32 PM
So...any day now?

;)

Two weeks.

advocatusdiaboli
09-30-2014, 5:53 PM

No worries, with Obama still in office, after his party is through worrying about the mid-term elections (hopefully some of them lose their seats), he and Congress will do something anti-gun again. And again. And again.

advocatusdiaboli
09-30-2014, 5:58 PM
Meh. I can buy anything Walmart is likely to carry in Big 5 or on Gun Broker right now.

greensoup
10-01-2014, 12:51 AM
Someone might have mentioned it already but isn't it Walmart that the gun clerk in San Diego/Poway handed a customer a gun and ammo, then watched as he loaded the gun and proceeded to start shooting people.

I'm not sure selling guns should be handled by the "I don't give a s*** as long as I can make a $1, company". This is a company that ignored people getting robbed in their parking lots because they didn't want to pay for security.

SanDiegoMan
10-03-2014, 6:37 AM
I wouldn't say "masters". Who suckered who into lending billions of dollars to their economic enemies in return for worthless pieces of paper? We have the money, they have IOUs that we may or may not pay back. If they piss us off, we refuse to pay them back and tank their economy. Who exactly has who by the short hairs here?

-Mb

They'll just do what we did to the native americans and declare our land is theres.

advocatusdiaboli
10-03-2014, 7:28 AM

-Mb
Oh I see: a scorched earth strategy. Or, given it's insanity. a 'strategery' is more like it. The entire financial world would be devastated and we'd come out worst of all. then they'd invade us and we see that Dystopian future of endless war and devastation apocalyptic movies envision. No thanks.

What we'll do instead is print money so fast and in such volume that the dollar becomes worthless and pay then back with those. Of course that will destroy the middle class, but our leaders have already been doing that for the last 20 years so no worries. In fact we've been printing money since the gray recession to keep banks afloat.

erik_26
10-03-2014, 7:39 AM
Someone might have mentioned it already but isn't it Walmart that the gun clerk in San Diego/Poway handed a customer a gun and ammo, then watched as he loaded the gun and proceeded to start shooting people.

I'm not sure selling guns should be handled by the "I don't give a s*** as long as I can make a $1, company". This is a company that ignored people getting robbed in their parking lots because they didn't want to pay for security.

:facepalm:

What is to stop anyone from walking into any store that sells firearms with a loaded magazine in their pocket or loose rounds, ask to see a firearm, then go off like a mad man?

Absolutely nothing!

There is no back ground check to see or handle firearms at a gun store.

There is no security at most places.

There is no prescreening.

Your theory that Walmart is less safe than a tradition gun store is bogus.

AND...... I hate Walmart!

Speed limit signs don't stop speeders. Bad people will do bad things regardless of the law. This is such a simple concept that my son when he was 9 was able to ascertain that conclusion himself.

Walmart shouldn't have to provide security in their stores or in their parking lots for their customers safety. Any security Walmart has is to limit shrinkage.

If you don't feel safe going to a place, don't go there.

If you don't agree with their policies or pricing, don't go there.

When will people wake up and realize all this?

advocatusdiaboli
10-03-2014, 8:17 AM
Speed limit signs don't stop speeders. Bad people will do bad things regardless of the law. This is such a simple concept that my son when he was 9 was able to ascertain that conclusion himself.

Walmart shouldn't have to provide security in their stores or in their parking lots for their customers safety. Any security Walmart has is to limit shrinkage.

If you don't feel safe going to a place, don't go there.

If you don't agree with their policies or pricing, don't go there.

When will people wake up and realize all this?
Most people? Never. the majority of people are sheep: sheeple. They want to be protect and led. 40% of the American Colonists side with King George and after the war, nearly half wanted another monarchy: they hadn't learned a thing. they wanted George Washington to be king but he refused.

This is why I have no faith we'll ever have the same freedom of other Western states.

Ever read Alexis de Toqcueville? You should.
Some of his prescient quotes:

Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.

There is hardly a political question in the United States which does not sooner or later turn into a judicial one.

The health of a democratic society may be measured by the quality of functions performed by private citizens.

There are two things which a democratic people will always find very difficult - to begin a war and to end it.

9M62
10-03-2014, 11:21 AM
The wallmart where the guy got shot with the pellet gun pulled all the pellet guns today

Probably because they weren't brightly colored, and thus, magically illegal.

Picturepro
10-03-2014, 11:26 AM
3 years later and no guns at the Wallymarts I've been to. They have ammo on occasion but that all.

12voltguy
10-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Probably because they weren't brightly colored, and thus, magically illegal.

that new law only applies to airsoft types
not .177,.22 bb's etc
just the plastic bb airsoft guns

advocatusdiaboli
10-06-2014, 9:11 AM
that new law only applies to airsoft types
not .177,.22 bb's etc
just the plastic bb airsoft guns
This session, they'll go after those next session after they've survived the mid-terms.

12voltguy
10-06-2014, 9:17 AM
This session, they'll go after those next session after they've survived the mid-terms.

Agree!
Hillary gets in PREZ spot, she will exc order outlaw all guns
it will be a felony to make a gun with your hand,off to jail!:TFH::TFH:

advocatusdiaboli
10-06-2014, 9:27 AM
Agree!
Hillary gets in PREZ spot, she will exc order outlaw all guns
it will be a felony to make a gun with your hand,off to jail!:TFH::TFH:
Yeah. laugh while you can. They had a BB gun law in committee lat year and it didn't make it out. It will eventually. No TFH, just careful observation of the CA Legislature riding that pander horse called "gun safety for the children". It's has legs with the big CA metro electorate and helps distract the electorate from the new gas taxes and the poor state of the economy versus red states like Texas.

bigcalidave
10-06-2014, 3:07 PM
what did you expect?
You post a thread like this, it will be remembered forever.

Guess what, plans change with big corporations. Like I said, they were planning on doing it, then sandy hook happened. Then there was no guns or ammo to be sold. Oh well.

LBDamned
10-06-2014, 3:54 PM
Guess what, plans change with big corporations. Like I said, they were planning on doing it, then sandy hook happened. Then there was no guns or ammo to be sold. Oh well.

Sandy Hook happened 1.5 yrs after you initially posted

sl0re10
10-06-2014, 3:58 PM

retiredAFcop
10-06-2014, 4:17 PM

Many people shop at WalMart. They believe that the things that they see at WalMart are "normal, everyday things". Even if they never buy a gun or ammunition, the fact that they will see guns every week will help them to think of guns as "normal" and "everyday" things that people like them (Walmart shoppers) buy and own.

Murmur
10-06-2014, 5:15 PM
I stopped in to my local Walmart to buy some ammo last month. Had a decent selection in stock. An employee had to unlock the ammo box and sell me the ammo at the sporting goods counter.

When I got up to the main register line a few minutes later to buy my other non-ammo items, the cashier almost got panicky that I had ammo in my cart. She asked me why I had "bullets" when I pointed out that they had already been paid for in sporting goods. Cashier said she had no idea their store sold ammo. I thought about calling CS because of her reaction, but figured all it would do is make them consider not selling ammo there all together.

advocatusdiaboli
10-06-2014, 6:53 PM
Many people shop at WalMart. They believe that the things that they see at WalMart are "normal, everyday things". Even if they never buy a gun or ammunition, the fact that they will see guns every week will help them to think of guns as "normal" and "everyday" things that people like them (Walmart shoppers) buy and own.

No, not really. You got it backwards.

More likely people will be in shock that Walmart is selling the deadly machines of death in their neighborhood. I can see the local TV news headlines: full clip assault weapons sold over the counter at Walmart so sit anyone can buy them! Film at 11.

Plenty of stores sell meat but that hasn't stopped the ground swell of vegan and PETA protests. What a vendor sells doesn't make the zeitgeist, the zeitgeist makes the vendor's wares.

In Wyoming they'd laugh at the story, but in the SF Bay Area or LA, they'll organize protests at Walmart. Such is the state of tyranny in which we now live. People have forgotten how this nation was born and has been kept free.

thayne
10-06-2014, 10:30 PM

More likely people will be in shock that Walmart is selling the deadly machines of death in their neighborhood. I can see the local TV news headlines: full clip assault weapons sold over the counter at Walmart so sit anyone can buy them! Film at 11.

Plenty of stores sell meat but that hasn't stopped the ground swell of vegan and PETA protests. What a vendor sells doesn't make the zeitgeist, the zeitgeist makes the vendor's wares.

In Wyoming they'd laugh at the story, but in the SF Bay Area or LA, they'll organize protests at Walmart. Such is the state of tyranny in which we now live. People have forgotten how this nation was born and has been kept free.
Back when walmart did sell guns in CA none of that happened....

CASEC
10-06-2014, 10:39 PM
My dad bought me my first rifle from walmart when I was 9. It's a Marlin model 15y I still have it. Back then you could still buy pistols from under the glass counter.

bsg
10-07-2014, 12:25 AM
still waiting.

Picturepro
10-07-2014, 12:47 AM
I bet if and when the gun selection will be the same as Big 5 sporting good.
Was never impressed with the entry level of guns they have. Looked at a M&P15-22 is was $75 more than turners in Orange.

Wallabing
10-07-2014, 2:13 AM
Will never happen in the Bay Area though.

retiredAFcop
10-08-2014, 12:36 AM

A few wackjobs would freak out - just like a few wackjobs freak out about meat (we're not exactly experiencing a "groundswell of vegan and PETA protests"). Seeing guns in a Big-5 or WalMart freaks the wackjobs out and gets them foaming at the mouth - which can actually help us, since "average" people see that and say "it's just a shotgun, even Joe Biden says you should own a shotgun", and then start wondering if all anti-gunners are as stupid and Bat****Crazy as the ones freaking out about the shotguns at Big-5 (or WalMart). People tend to fear things that are unknown to them. People who see guns everyday, in a nonviolent, noncriminal setting, tend not to have the same kind of irrational fears about guns as those who only see them in crime shows on TV.

Most people have not seen an AR-15 or similar modern sporting rifle in person. The sum total of their experience is seeing M-16s and M-4s on the news and in media, and in TV and movies where any non-government person shown with an AR (or similar firearm) is most likely to be portrayed as either a spree shooter/potential spree shooter, or a member of a white supremacist/Nazi group.

Look at gay marriage. Ten years ago something like 80% of the country thought it was an abomination. Even a majoprity of Californians voted against it. The more people see it in their daily lives - on TV, in magazines, on the web - depicted as a "normal" thing, the fewer people object to it.

ljnowell
10-08-2014, 1:44 AM
Good deal! I love walking into my walmart and seeing cheap prices on colt AR-15s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edwardm
10-08-2014, 6:56 AM
Something very similar happened at a local gun shop in town a few years ago. Nutball walked in, asked to see a pistol, proceeded to run outside, load it, and introduced high-velocity lead to his cranium. I felt bad for the shop and the owners - more hassle and paperwork and B.S. they didn't need.

They're still open and in business. You can't prevent crazy.

TurboChrisB
10-08-2014, 9:52 AM
Wait, huh???

EVERY one of the local gun stores around me.....the employees are carrying loaded guns.....

I'd call THAT security....and I'd also go on record as stating that it would be difficult at best for a man to load up a gun and go on a rampage in ANY of these stores.

:facepalm:

What is to stop anyone from walking into any store that sells firearms with a loaded magazine in their pocket or loose rounds, ask to see a firearm, then go off like a mad man?

Absolutely nothing!

There is no back ground check to see or handle firearms at a gun store.

There is no security at most places.

There is no prescreening.

Your theory that Walmart is less safe than a tradition gun store is bogus.

AND...... I hate Walmart!