PDA

View Full Version : walmarts that are pro-2A in attitude thread

stitchnicklas
07-09-2011, 9:49 PM
i figured why not start a thread about walmart 2A practices that is positive.

the walmart in corona on McKinley is pro-2A ,every time i go there for anything i check ammo supplies and clerk attitude is always good.they usually keep a large stock of ammo,scopes,targets,cleaning materials,hunting accessories on hand.

went there today for some basic stock ammo(federal/tula) and they had all standard calibers and the clerk was very cool.he even said that he heard that they might be one of the stores that gets to start selling guns again (he hopes he said).

so lets post the good stores for those that care...

Blackhawk556
07-09-2011, 10:04 PM
The stores in fresno and clovis always treat me good. Plus they always have ammo as well :). Almost forgot about madera.

jeffsenpai
07-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Good idea for a thread! So much we hear is negative in regards to Walmart.

That said, I am very satisfied with the ammo selection and attitude of employees at both the Clovis and Sanger Walmarts. The only downside is.... The employees are so eager to help me with opening the ammo cabinet that I rarely get enough time to fully peruse and make a selection :)

DarthSean
07-10-2011, 12:03 AM
The one in Corona is good and the one in Eastern Moreno Valley that is usually well stocked but the people are usually clueless. I think there's a good one somewhere in the Hemet/San Jacinto area too but I've never been there. The one in Perris sucks and I don't advise going there unless you really have a pressing reason too, unless you just like people watching.

oni.dori
07-10-2011, 12:36 AM
The one in Oxnard is USUALLY pretty decent as well. Most of the people that work there are polite and curteous (although, you can see some don't really like the idea that you are buying ammo for a gun, but it's mostly something I pick up on in VERY subtle body language, they always remain polite and professional though). Since the ammo drout has relaxed a little bit, they tend to have a pretty good stock, although it can be a little inconsistent at times. They always have PLENTY of 12 gauge sport/clay/game loads in 8-7 1/2 shot though. They also have a decent shooting/hunting/camping supply isle, and a pretty decent fishing section (another one of my vices). Usually have a decent amount of slugs and buck as well. The only complaint I have is that (at least lately) they seem to take a LONG time to help you. The staff will walk by SEVERAL times before they ask if you need assistance. They know you are there, but it is almost like they ignore you in some sort of "silent protest". It almost seems like they don't want to sell you ammo because they don't like guns; so in some self-righteous way, they are "saving" another mudre victim by possibly making you wait so long you just give up and go away. IDK, maybe that is jut me making things out to be something they are not. Granted, this isn't ALL of the employees though. There was an older gentlemen that had a moustach that worked there frequently that was very helpful, polite, and prompt in asking you if you needed assistance. I think he may have even been a casual shooter/sportsman, because he seemed decently versed in calibers, loads, and current laws. Haven't seen him in a while though. Also, I hear from family that lives in the area, the Taft/Bakersfield Wal-Mart seems to be decently well stocked (even when the shortage was in full swing). Although, I can't comment much on the quality of service because I haven't been in there.

ThortheDog
07-10-2011, 9:06 AM
The employees at the La Habra store all seem to have a positive attitude toward selling ammo. Only problem is the store is not as well stocked as it used to be. They've switched half the ammo case over to knives.

mossy
07-10-2011, 9:37 AM
my walmart does not sell ammo :(

Interfan
07-10-2011, 9:47 AM
Oceanside/Carlsbad on Marron and Oceanside on Vista Way. Both have friendly employees that are happy to sell ammo.

The only Walmart that I have had any issues with was the Kearney Mesa one that's next to the 805. I asked for the ammo case to be open to buy some 45 ACP and the clerk said "Why would you ever need that. Just dial 911" They did sell it to me, but I think it was less of an anti-2A attitude and more of an anti-work issue. I don't know how many people deal with lazy clerks and see that as anti-2A.

WoodTurner
07-10-2011, 8:26 PM
Another +1 for the Vista Way Walmart in Oceanside. Many times the employees will start up conversations about their own guns or hunting trips. Always a good attitude.

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
07-10-2011, 8:30 PM
The one we have here in Valencia is awesome. When the ammo registration was about to go into effect, our sport goods manager was talking up the NRA and Calguns. She was saying that they will prevail in court. Coolest 60 y/o lady out there!

I can't say the same about the customers though, we've had people scream and curse at us when buying ammo before...

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
07-10-2011, 8:48 PM
The one in Oxnard is USUALLY pretty decent as well. Most of the people that work there are polite and curteous (although, you can see some don't really like the idea that you are buying ammo for a gun, but it's mostly something I pick up on in VERY subtle body language, they always remain polite and professional though). Since the ammo drout has relaxed a little bit, they tend to have a pretty good stock, although it can be a little inconsistent at times. They always have PLENTY of 12 gauge sport/clay/game loads in 8-7 1/2 shot though. They also have a decent shooting/hunting/camping supply isle, and a pretty decent fishing section (another one of my vices). Usually have a decent amount of slugs and buck as well. The only complaint I have is that (at least lately) they seem to take a LONG time to help you. The staff will walk by SEVERAL times before they ask if you need assistance. They know you are there, but it is almost like they ignore you in some sort of "silent protest". It almost seems like they don't want to sell you ammo because they don't like guns; so in some self-righteous way, they are "saving" another mudre victim by possibly making you wait so long you just give up and go away. IDK, maybe that is jut me making things out to be something they are not. Granted, this isn't ALL of the employees though. . I think he may have even been a casual shooter/sportsman, because he seemed decently versed in calibers, loads, and current laws. Haven't seen him in a while though. Also, I hear from family that lives in the area, the Taft/Bakersfield Wal-Mart seems to be decently well stocked (even when the shortage was in full swing). Although, I can't comment much on the quality of service because I haven't been in there.

"There was an older gentlemen that had a moustach that worked there frequently that was very helpful, polite, and prompt in asking you if you needed assistance"
David it's his name very good person.

tallic68
07-10-2011, 9:09 PM
I can vouch for the Hemet Walmart. Two main guys that are in sporting goods are always in the area and willing to open the cabinet. Well stocked and said the MIGHT get guns for sale. I always park in the rear and enter through the automotive door and straight to the ammo section. I always get a hello. They have really expanded their air Rifle selection. From daisy red riders for like 20 bucks to a 22. Cal 1000 fps for 150.

KandyRedCoi
07-10-2011, 9:11 PM
Walmart off Ontario Ave Corona is OK as well...it just sucks when i go at night, hard to flag someone down to open the case, but experience has always been good :D
i also hope they start selling Firearms soon, as i know they will have awesome prices for sure!

NorCal Mtn Flyer
07-10-2011, 9:59 PM
I realize it's not completely relevant, but I was in a WalMart in Wasilla, Alaska the other day, to buy some fishing gear. Walked past a gun case filled with no less than 50 different handguns! I had to stop and drool for a few minutes! (BTW- the back cases were absolutely stocked up with about every brand/caliber of ammo a person might wish for)
The counter salesman saw me, and immediately knew I was from out of state... he could tell by the incredulous look in my eye, that there were REAL guns for sale in WalMart. We ended up have quite the convo re: the CA Roster (he didn't know it existed) and several other CA based ridiculous gun restrictions. Told him about CalGuns, and he was interested enough claim he was going to check it out that evening.

Perhaps one day, he won't be able to tell the out of staters- as all WalMarts would be back in the business....

john.t.singh
07-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Walmart in Clairemont Mesa and one off friars in sd are always pretty full and employees are real pro2a friendly

oni.dori
07-11-2011, 1:02 AM
Oceanside/Carlsbad on Marron and Oceanside on Vista Way. Both have friendly employees that are happy to sell ammo.

The only Walmart that I have had any issues with was the Kearney Mesa one that's next to the 805. I asked for the ammo case to be open to buy some 45 ACP and the clerk said "Why would you ever need that. Just dial 911" They did sell it to me, but I think it was less of an anti-2A attitude and more of an anti-work issue. I don't know how many people deal with lazy clerks and see that as anti-2A.

I hope you reported this employee for their actions. It doesn't matter if it was anti-gun, or anti-work, either way it was anti-customer and unacceptable.

"There was an older gentlemen that had a moustach that worked there frequently that was very helpful, polite, and prompt in asking you if you needed assistance"
David it's his name very good person.

Yes, that's him!!!! I have been racking my brain trying to remember his name. He has ALWAYS been very nice, very friendly, and very helpful. Quick to ask if you need assistance, and always polite. I even get the feeling that he may be pro 2A sometimes, but I am not sure. I haven't seen him for a while though. I wonder what happened.

socal2310
07-11-2011, 7:11 AM
I usually purchase my ammunition online (bulk deals from Ammoman more often than not) or at gun shows, so I often spend a few minutes comparing prices when I need to pick up ammo at Walmart in Oxnard. They seem to restrict which employees have access to the ammo-cabinet key which can cause delays on the customer's part and inconvenience on the part of the employees - I ALWAYS need to approach someone in an adjacent department to contact the appropriate person. I strongly suspect that oni.dori was experiencing anti-customer service vs an anti-gun attitude.

Ryan

msteel
07-11-2011, 7:55 AM
Murrieta Walmart has ammo, good stock and friendly sales folk.

Just picked up some ammo yesterday at the Hemet Superstore, plenty of stock, found the gal with the key pretty quickly. Everyone seemed to be in zombie mode though. What can you expect for a Sunday evening I guess?

Low-Pressure
07-11-2011, 7:59 AM
Cerritos walmart has pretty cool employees too, but sometimes way too busy (under staffed).

SoCal Bob
07-11-2011, 10:17 AM
The San Marcos Walmart has been pretty good lately. It used to be a chore to find the person with the key but that hasn't been an issue for awhile and the case usually has a pretty good assortment of ammo. I was in there this morning and they had some of the WWB .45ACP. I asked for a box and she said you sure you only want one? I bought two. :D

Eargasm
07-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Woodland and Susanville -- Clerks are helpful and attentive. Susanville has a pretty good supply of reloading gear.

I'm surprised that Dixon (Solano County), which is surrounded by farmland/waterways/flooded fields, doesn't carry ammunition.

When I buy pistol/rifle ammo the clerks always walk me to the register at the front of the store, is that common elsewhere? It doesn't happen with shotgun ammo, which they don't keep locked up.

Jason P
07-11-2011, 12:17 PM
East and West Palmdale seem cool, most of the people working in SG seem to be shooters:)

glock_this
07-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Is it really "Walmart" that is "cool" or "treating you well" or is it the employee you dealt with?

Maybe a better title is "walmarts with employees that are pro-2A in attitude thread"

All this being said, given the history of Walmart attempts at forcing it's way into communities and how they have treated their employees and the worst part - their known usage of illegal aliens.. I do not spend money with them

tcd511
07-11-2011, 1:14 PM
East and West Palmdale seem cool, most of the people working in SG seem to be shooters:)

+1 For the wallyworld on Valley central way. There are 2 old guys that work it pretty regularly and can answer your questions.

tallic68
07-11-2011, 1:30 PM
Usually if the sporting goods register is closed, they will walk it up to the front. At least at my store in Hemet.

Tripper
07-11-2011, 1:55 PM
I've never had an awkward look in salinas wallyworld, they usually even use proper terms.

Hopalong
07-11-2011, 1:55 PM
The manager of the sporting goods dept. at the Paso Robles store

Told me that ammo sales carry that dept.

Always someone there, plenty of ammo, no hassles, friendly

bballwizard05
07-11-2011, 2:06 PM
Santa Maria walmart is usually well stocked and has two different gentlemen that are at least 2A friendly. Always have PLENTY of 9mm, probably cause all the ranchers have nice big revolvers and buy all the 357/45LC up!

Arroyo Grande walmart on the other hand, usually has poor stocking and just average polite workers but none show "extra" interest in 2A or firearms.

Lastly when I'm down south the Walmart on California St. in Redlands has been pretty good. Nice folks but medium to low in stocking of calibers.

DarkKro
09-14-2011, 3:39 AM
Tried to buy ammo in corona off ontario and they refused to sell me some... I thought they removed time restricitions..

cbn620
09-14-2011, 3:58 AM
The stores in fresno and clovis always treat me good. Plus they always have ammo as well :). Almost forgot about madera.

Can vouch for Fresno/Clovis. Also the Selma location has a decent selection of basic shooting supplies and always have plenty of 12 gauge, 20 gauge and .22 LR at the very least on hand. I have a few times gotten the question "Is this ammo for a handgun or a rifle?" before but rarely. Once when asked I replied "I'm not sure yet" and the clerk said "Good answer." They don't always have someone at the cash register but I've never had to wait very long at all. Different subject, but there's also a decent Big 5 in the same shopping center well within walking distance if Wal-Mart doesn't have the supplies you need. Selma has turned into a pretty good stop for shooting supplies if you're south of Fresno and forgot something.

cbn620
09-14-2011, 4:02 AM
Is it really "Walmart" that is "cool" or "treating you well" or is it the employee you dealt with?

Maybe a better title is "walmarts with employees that are pro-2A in attitude thread"

All this being said, given the history of Walmart attempts at forcing it's way into communities and how they have treated their employees and the worst part - their known usage of illegal aliens.. I do not spend money with them

I don't like Wal-Mart very much either and avoid shopping there but if someone's only option for whatever reason is Wal-Mart I would want them to know which ones to avoid. I mean someone in this thread even said their Wal-Mart doesn't have ammo. Pretty good info if you ask me. I would not want to be far from home on a trip to go shooting, realize I had forgotten something, and end up searching through a Wal-Mart only to find out they don't have ammo.

The Cable Guy
09-14-2011, 4:31 AM
I've had trouble with the ignorant *****s over here in City of Industry, see thread posted a few years ago: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=175497

Not much has changed in terms out their quality of service, but at least I'm over 21 now and have little to no problems.

Then again, I started reloading, so that could contribute to my lack of bad experiences.

D-Man
09-14-2011, 4:55 AM
The one in Glendora has a decent selection of ammo, lots of shotgun shells and treats you well. Usually they end up asking me questions about upcoming classes, etc when I go in there.

johnny_22
09-14-2011, 7:24 AM
Milpitas stocks the ammo, and if you time your visit right (Sunday AM works for me), you don't need to chase down the Key Master. Last time I was there, he rang me up right there, no need to walk to the front with a chaperone.

On Dixon, I wonder if the Vacaville gun stores cut too much into their business. I know when I am heading on a fishing trip, I stop at Guns, Fishing and Other Stuff for a last minute check, and maybe buy some ammo. If I have time, I go upstairs and looks at the firearm selection. I love their wall.

Shadowman209
09-14-2011, 7:38 AM
I was in the Stockton Walmart shopping and they called a damn Swat team on me because I was open carrying in accordance with the law and I am a disabled man in a Walmart scooter and I have cops rip my gun holster and all off my waist and security surround me, scareing my 12 year old daughter who was with me helping me out, and was treated like I just robbed the place, this all happened within 45 min. of me shopping, and what is funny is 2 days prior I spent 700 dollars and shopped for 3 hours and open carried and not a problem was had but when I asked why do this now they said I left before they could get to me WTF is this can anybody tell me .

NytWolf
09-14-2011, 8:03 AM
No offense intended, but I noticed the 2A-friendlier Walmarts in the Sacramento areas are the ones closer to "redneck" country -- areas closer to Rio Linda, Citrus Heights, Rocklin. The Walmart in Elk Grove sells ammo, but they could care less about the 2A.

jonyg
09-14-2011, 8:09 AM
Brea walmart is ok. The employee gave me a look of suspicion, but handed me the ammo without any objection.

Zartan
09-14-2011, 8:39 AM
Used to stop at the milpitas storeon the way home, but couldn't stand waiting around or hunting down somebody with a key.

Now Tracy Walmart on the other hand, there is always someone on hand and the ammo cabinet is always full.

JasonM
09-14-2011, 8:42 AM
For the San Diego county folks, I have found the Vista walmart to have an even better selection than the Oceanside one. I haven't been there in a while, but there was an older gentleman working the counter who was very friendly even if a bit uninformed.

dtjester
09-14-2011, 8:50 AM
Tried to buy ammo in corona off ontario and they refused to sell me some... I thought they removed time restricitions..

That's weird, I've never had a problem there and I buy a box or two about every 10 days or so.

The Walmart in Moreno Valley on Canyon Springs Pkwy is not as friendly in my experience.

ShootinMedic
09-14-2011, 9:11 AM
The walmart in Amador county/ Martel is very friendly. I had a long chat with the guy at the counter about reloading.

PendulousMind
09-14-2011, 9:31 AM
I can vouch for the Hemet Walmart. Two main guys that are in sporting goods are always in the area and willing to open the cabinet. Well stocked and said the MIGHT get guns for sale. I always park in the rear and enter through the automotive door and straight to the ammo section. I always get a hello. They have really expanded their air Rifle selection. From daisy red riders for like 20 bucks to a 22. Cal 1000 fps for 150.

I second or third this, very helpful.

notme92069
09-14-2011, 9:53 AM
The San Marcos Walmart has been pretty good lately. It used to be a chore to find the person with the key but that hasn't been an issue for awhile and the case usually has a pretty good assortment of ammo. I was in there this morning and they had some of the WWB .45ACP. I asked for a box and she said you sure you only want one? I bought two. :D

I second this. I have talked to sales people there that want to sell long guns again. They aren't sure if they are going to. They were told once that they were going to sell long guns again and then they were told maybe not.

Curley Red
09-14-2011, 10:07 AM
The store in Folsom wasn't carrying 9mm and I asked about it. A few weeks later they now carry it, the guy behind the counter made the inquiry with corporate and they now carry my 9mm. Another thing is that they do not keep the ammo in a locked case, so if I need it I can just go behind the counter and grab it, they are cool about it. Gotta love that.

Also the store in Rancho Cordova on Folsom is real good also.

BlindRacer
09-14-2011, 11:02 AM
I've got 2 Walmarts near me. One good, one not so good.

Huntington Beach: (Beach and Talbert) Great! They've always got a pretty good selection of ammo, and a decent size department of other supplies. Clerks seem a little off in lala land, and you've really got to get their attention, and have them follow through, but I've had no real problems wrt 2A stuff.

Westminster: (Beach and Trask) Okay. They have a really small supply of ammo, and usually in very odd calibers. No 9mm, no 45acp, no .223, and no .308. They seem to have a thing for 7mm Mag though...my Father in law would be happy. Anyways, they are really nice there, but supply is rather low.

Never thought about it before, but I wonder if it has to do with the two different communities that these are in. Huntington is Middle to Upper Middle Class. Westminster is Upper Lower to Lower Middle Class. Hmmm.

lhecker51
09-14-2011, 12:05 PM
my walmart does not sell ammo :(
Are you in the city of Los Angeles?

jwkincal
09-14-2011, 1:07 PM
The one in Glendora has a decent selection of ammo, lots of shotgun shells and treats you well. Usually they end up asking me questions about upcoming classes, etc when I go in there.

Was in there this AM. I visit the ammo counter every time I go to skip the checkout line at the front of the store. They ring up my whole order and I bolt out via the garden center without fighting through the main exit. Almost never have to wait for the clerk with the keys either. This AM the Sporting Goods manager rang me up. I asked if they were going to sell long guns soon and he said he wished he knew but there was no certainty yet.

Obese Penguin
09-14-2011, 7:49 PM
Are there Wal-marts in the Bay Area that are 2A-friendly?

Zhukov
09-14-2011, 9:28 PM
I open carry all the time here at the Wal-mart in Idaho without any issues. There's also a fair selection of long arms and a whole gaggle of ammo.

<3

rainman8819
09-15-2011, 9:35 AM
No offense intended, but I noticed the 2A-friendlier Walmarts in the Sacramento areas are the ones closer to "redneck" country -- areas closer to Rio Linda, Citrus Heights, Rocklin. The Walmart in Elk Grove sells ammo, but they could care less about the 2A.

I agree with you on the locations. My biggest complaint is with the Citrus Heights store. They have the smallest selection of ammo out of the ones I've been to.

My fav is either the one in Roseville or the one off of Antelope right past the Home Depot.

johnny_22
09-22-2011, 8:11 AM
Are there Wal-marts in the Bay Area that are 2A-friendly?

Mountain View and Milpitas carries ammunition. Friendliness depends upon the time of sale.

Oddly, the Wal-Mart near Metcalf does not carry ammo.

vonderplatz
09-22-2011, 10:58 AM
I've never had an awkward look in salinas wallyworld, they usually even use proper terms.

^^ Agree, I like Salinas since every time I have been there the employee with the key is usually in the area, but they are sometimes out of the more popular rounds.

Gilroy has a better selection, but good luck trying to find the person with the key. I think they only allow managers to have keys, since each time I have been there they had to find one.

Marina does not sale any Ammo.

tallic68
09-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Asked the normal salesmen at my walmart in hemet about selling long arms. He said that all sporting goods salespersons have had to go through felony and misomenor background checks, have all go fingerprinted and have a training class coming up in a couple weeks. He said they tell him it because they sell ammo. But his words are," ya right take that how you want"

I and he confirmed think they will be selling long arms in the near future.