PDA

View Full Version : Probation Officers - Questions about a Graduate Degree

JJKESSEL
07-09-2011, 9:57 PM
I am finishing up my BS in CJ and I know there are very few jobs out there right now so I'm going to continue on with my education. I'm wondering what, in your opinions are the most beneficial graduate degrees. I must say I am leaning toward MSW (Social Work) because of the diversity of opportunities that it could create but I am set on becoming a Probation Officer.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Falconis
07-09-2011, 10:17 PM
public admin is a good one if you intend on climbing that ladder

El Gato
07-09-2011, 10:39 PM
I have a masters of science in counseling and am an LMFT....

other than being able to use my on -duty work toward hours years ago...it has really been no benefit....

well...
it's a benefit when dealing with dangerous people... like at gun-point ... or the baton out kinda thing...
as I can usually out think the probationer...and end up with less really bad fights than some folks....

not that a big fight isn't a bit of fun once in a while...:43:
as long as we win of course.....

but the degree has allowed me to work a private practice to raise extra money to feed my family when they were younger...

fmxmyway
07-10-2011, 2:09 AM

I would agree. I have a friend who is a DEA agent and he has his masters in Public Administration as well.

Watchur6
07-10-2011, 2:41 AM
This.
Good degree to have if you plan on moving up to top brass positions.
Are you planning on only going for field probation officer or are you willing to start out in the juvenile jails.
The reason I ask is because ive seen a lot of highly qualified people choose not to promote to field ops. due to there being more money in institutions. Just something to think about when you apply. I know as for us our field guys don't work holidays or get much o.t. like we do in the institutions.

Roddd
07-10-2011, 3:28 AM
I think El Gato learned how to use a lotta periods in his Master's program...
All kidding aside, good job on continuing your education. Think of something that would make you more well rounded. You may not be hired as a probation officer so plan ahead and earn your Master's in something that can help in finding a job in the private sector. I'm not saying that you won't be hired, but better safe than sorry.

RollingCode3
07-10-2011, 5:46 PM
Public Admin would be my first choice. Stay away from Criminal Justice.

JJKESSEL
07-10-2011, 11:28 PM
...Stay away from Criminal Justice.

I completely agree with this. So limited and practically useless. I regret to this day that my BS is CJ... But I'm surely not going to start over.

jerkyg
07-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Howdy JJ,

Let me share with you some words of wisdom...that were shared to me many years ago.

Get your minor in admin...and/or criminal justice...but, have your major in computer science...accounting...beeeeeeecause.....

You can still get a job as a probation officer with that BA. But, as my SGT told me 30 yrs ago...always have something you call "fall back" on...now, especially in this economy. They are laying off at least 20 people in my dept...our local PD laid of about 30 new officers. And it is only going to get worse.

With that said...if you want to someday apply to the FBI or some other Fed agency...they could give a sh..it about your admin/crim. justice degree. What do you think these Feds investigate? They go after the big criminals that have computers and hide money..etc. That is why they want forensic computer analysis and experts in accounting and "finding the money trail"...etc.

But, what do I know...just my two cents worth. Because in the long term...if I was not ready to retire and had to find another job...what would I do? Security? I could work for some corporation as in house investigations...not bad...but, other than that....what am I trained for? Nothing...27 yrs and counting...then, I can be home with my kids at 51. Not bad...but, I just made it. I feel bad for those that have the heart and desire...but, are getting into it at the worse time.

Hope this helps...best of luck and...

Stay safe...

I am finishing up my BS in CJ and I know there are very few jobs out there right now so I'm going to continue on with my education. I'm wondering what, in your opinions are the most beneficial graduate degrees. I must say I am leaning toward MSW (Social Work) because of the diversity of opportunities that it could create but I am set on becoming a Probation Officer.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

mixicus
07-11-2011, 4:48 AM
In the LE setting, with a little creativity you can articulate the benefits of ANY degree. There are obvious ones like MPA/MBA for advancement into management/command ranks. How about 'art history'? Yep there are a few feds that look into that world. Engineering can be related to collision reconstruction. Sciences can address the budding world of WMD/terrorism/etc. Some can help address a personal weakness like a English Comp or Journalism if you have difficulties with the written word.

The degree can help open doors and provide direction in the career path you wish to pursue. So get the degree that does just that.

To echo jerkyg above: get a degree in a field you find interesting. The rest will take care of itself.

JJKESSEL
07-12-2011, 8:02 PM
Thank you everybody... I appreciate the feedback.

Jeff

jerkyg
07-12-2011, 8:27 PM
Good luck...on your future career....

Been there and done that...

I am at the end...you are in the beginning...

Stay safe...