PDA

View Full Version : Carrying on a boat while fishing in the ocean..

iddie
07-09-2011, 8:02 PM
I was just wondering if you were allowed to bring/carry on a boat while fishing in the ocean. I searched google and couldn't really find a concrete answer. Some people say dont bring a gun on your boat and others say its ok. Can anyone clarify if i'm allowed to carry on a boat while fishing in the ocean and what are the regulations for it. Thank you in advance!

moleculo
07-09-2011, 8:05 PM
Are you fishing in local CA waters?

iddie
07-09-2011, 8:05 PM
Yes it should be local CA waters.. nothing passed catalina

Cokebottle
07-09-2011, 8:12 PM
It would be up to the owner of the boat.

You can legally carry loaded and concealed while hunting or fishing.

On a private boat, you're good to go. On a fishing charter "party boat", you would be bound by the terms of the charter company.

iddie
07-09-2011, 8:14 PM
Going to be taking out my friends boat to go fishing. So if it is ok with him that i have a gun on me, then i assume i can loaded conceal carry without a ccw?

Saigon1965
07-09-2011, 8:18 PM
Just be sure you have a lifevest on -

Oceanbob
07-09-2011, 8:22 PM
Be careful..!!!

For some reason a lot of people here have lost some guns in a Tragic Boating Accident.! :eek:

Stonewalker
07-09-2011, 8:25 PM
Be careful..!!!

For some reason a lot of people here have lost some guns in a Tragic Boating Accident.! :eek:

You win the "made me laugh out loud" award!

NapaCountyShooter
07-09-2011, 8:27 PM
You win the "made me laugh out loud" award!

+1. Don't bring your safe full of guns. You'll be setting yourself up for a boating tragedy.

Stonewalker
07-09-2011, 8:29 PM
+1. Don't bring your safe full of guns. You'll be setting yourself up for a boating tragedy.

Unfortunately it seems that everytime I am questioned by an officer of the law about how many guns I own, I always end up being in ANOTHER tragic boating accident! You'd think I'd learn!

ChuangTzu
07-09-2011, 8:31 PM
Just be sure you have a lifevest on -

Yeah, you never know when **** might go down. You might consider bringing a pair of gardening gloves as well.

http://operatorchan.org/arch/src/k234552_ak47%20+%20life%20vest-%20life%20vest%20ak47-%20life%20vest%20ak-47-.jpg

rshoemaker
07-09-2011, 8:34 PM
So I must be out of the loop since I'm new here, what is this tragic boating accident I keep reading about. I have not been able to find much on search other than more references to it.

I hate being on the outside of inside jokes lol

hoffmang
07-09-2011, 9:54 PM
On federal waters (which is anything that you can navigate to the ocean) you can keep and bear most anything in most any condition (loaded, open, concealed, etc.)

Just stay out of Mexican or Canadian waters.

-Gene

luckystrike
07-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Yes it should be local CA waters.. nothing passed catalina

if you go to Catalina island you have actually passed thru territorial and international waters where anything is good to go. as others have said its up to the boat owner.

and the mandatory this is not legal advise just an opinion from someone on the interweb.

Stonewalker
07-09-2011, 11:13 PM
On federal waters (which is anything that you can navigate to the ocean) you can keep and bear most anything in most any condition (loaded, open, concealed, etc.)

Just stay out of Mexican or Canadian waters.

-Gene

I'm curious (without googling anything) what sort of laws does Canada have regarding arms possession aboard a sea-going vessel. Can they search boats without a warrant?

Cokebottle
07-09-2011, 11:13 PM
So I must be out of the loop since I'm new here, what is this tragic boating accident I keep reading about. I have not been able to find much on search other than more references to it.

I hate being on the outside of inside jokes lol
Old old old joke.

There was a news story that showed a boat with the caption "Guns lost in tragic boating accident"

That has become a joke implying the denial of ownership of any firearms.

When FEMA comes to your door to take your guns, simply respond "I'm sorry, I lost them in a tragic boating accident"

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Tragic-boating-accident.jpg

hoffmang
07-09-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm curious (without googling anything) what sort of laws does Canada have regarding arms possession aboard a sea-going vessel. Can they search boats without a warrant?

It's about what's allowed to be imported. No handguns as a non citizen. Long guns can come in, but there are some rules you need to follow. Complete PIA for those of us who've boated up there and usually have a handgun on board.

Mexico is all bad... Unless your the ATF!

-Gene

axel4488
07-09-2011, 11:18 PM
if you go to Catalina island you have actually passed thru territorial and international waters where anything is good to go. as others have said its up to the boat owner.

and the mandatory this is not legal advise just an opinion from someone on the interweb.

I thought international waters were 15 miles off a coast?

Cokebottle
07-09-2011, 11:24 PM
12 nautical miles is the limit for "international". There is an additional 12 nautical mile contiguous zone.

Coast guard still has enforcement authority out to 200 miles, which is the exclusive economic zone.

hoffmang
07-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Coast guard still has enforcement authority out to 200 miles, which is the exclusive economic zone.

USCG and USN have worldwide jurisdiction over US vessels. However, they don't care too much about gun laws as long as your legal federally (aka, no NFA or you have tax stamps.)

-Gene

axel4488
07-10-2011, 1:39 AM
ahh ok makes sense. thanks!

ar15robert
07-10-2011, 9:18 AM

for some reason in mexico their waters extend more than 15 miles i want to say 200.Definitely a no no to have a firearm on board there even if you are tuna fishing 30 miles out.

And off the ca coast stay out of the school zones.LOL

rshoemaker
07-10-2011, 9:43 AM
Old old old joke.

There was a news story that showed a boat with the caption "Guns lost in tragic boating accident"

That has become a joke implying the denial of ownership of any firearms.

When FEMA comes to your door to take your guns, simply respond "I'm sorry, I lost them in a tragic boating accident"

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Tragic-boating-accident.jpg

thanks I got a pm too, now i feel like im in the club :cool2: lol

Kid Stanislaus
07-10-2011, 9:45 AM
So I must be out of the loop since I'm new here, what is this tragic boating accident I keep reading about. I have not been able to find much on search other than more references to it. I hate being on the outside of inside jokes lol

I just have to say it, GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!!:D

Kid Stanislaus
07-10-2011, 9:49 AM
for some reason in mexico their waters extend more than 15 miles i want to say 200.Definitely a no no to have a firearm on board there even if you are tuna fishing 30 miles out.

Yet one more reason to never spend another nickle of my money in Mexico.:(

hoffmang
07-10-2011, 9:57 AM
There are a bunch of different national zones in the oceans. There is direct territory out 3 and 12 miles (states generally lose all but economic rules at 3 miles but LA gambling boats put some uncertainty in that.) There then are economic exclusions zones and those go out to 200 miles (CAF&G enforce out to there for example.) The US generally accepts a similar zone for MX. Also note that the mileage distances are from the last point of land. There is no international water between the CA coast and the islands as the 12 miles goes around the island fully for example.

But as to firearms on boats, use what you want. The most that will happen is that when boarded (no 4A in coastal waters as an original matter) they'll ask you where your guns are and just keep you separated from them for boarding party safety. They might drool on them if they're neat.

-Gene

donw
07-10-2011, 10:33 AM
a friend of mine once told me he had a line attached to the underside of his boat with a snap on the end to attach to the trigger guard of his "carry on board" if need be.

"Lost my .357 in a boat mishap" report is a good way to get it out of your name...but...woe be unto you if you are caught with it after the "Lost" report has been filed.

hoffmang
07-10-2011, 3:16 PM
A decent overview of EEZ's here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_Economic_Zone

-Gene

Spyder
07-10-2011, 5:59 PM
Just make sure you clean 'em, well, after the trip. I found rust on the firing pin on one of my Glocks after 2 days on salt water.