PDA

View Full Version : Unpaid parking ticket voids RKBA?

Super Chicken
07-09-2011, 6:55 PM
I understand even if I do not agree with some of the reasons our "betters" would deny a person from buying a firearm, yet I can't wrap my head around why unpaid parking tickets/taxes would. How is that legal?

Would unpaid parking tickets stop me from getting a permit to protest against underfed panda's/global warming/global cooling? Why is First amendment covered and not the Second? Is this issue on Gene&Company list of lawsuits? I know that we are in California and our elected officials are not tripping over each other handing out AK's and cotton candy at the state line, perhaps we are round pegs in a square world.....

Ok now that I have that rant out of the way, could some one enlighten me as to why that is please.

blazeaglory
07-09-2011, 7:12 PM
Where does it say that you cant own a firearm for unpaid parking tickets? Im curious because I think I have one.

Cokebottle
07-09-2011, 7:13 PM
Underground regulation.

They are using the status "fugitive from justice" to justify DROS denials for unpaid tickets.

anthonyca
07-09-2011, 7:22 PM
Underground regulation.

They are using the status "fugitive from justice" to justify DROS denials for unpaid tickets.

Fugitive with no due process. Some people may not even know they have a ticket.

And we will have people say "I don't get tickets" or, "I pay my tickets, so it doesn't bother me".

jeffsenpai
07-09-2011, 7:29 PM
I dont think you can renew your drivers license with unpaid tickets on your record right? Without a license can you buy a gun?

Stonewalker
07-09-2011, 7:31 PM
Fugitive with no due process. Some people may not even know they have a ticket.

And we will have people say "I don't get tickets" or, "I pay my tickets, so it doesn't bother me".

Those people don't understand how the Bill of Rights works. I'm guessing this type of restriction is pretty low on the list of things to sue over... but still, it's an extremely anti-liberty type of restriction.

bussda
07-09-2011, 7:43 PM
If your license is suspended, or similar, you cannot purchase a firearm because you do not have a valid ID.

I understand suspending registation for unpaid parking tickets, but I do not see the connection to suspending a driver's license. New law perhaps?

VAReact
07-09-2011, 7:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you should still be able to get a CA state ID card to use in lieu of a CA DL to purchase a firearm, even if your drivers' license is suspended, revoked, etc.

nagorb
07-09-2011, 8:11 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you should still be able to get a CA state ID card to use in lieu of a CA DL to purchase a firearm, even if your drivers' license is suspended, revoked, etc.

correct

jaq
07-09-2011, 8:26 PM
I understand even if I do not agree with some of the reasons our "betters" would deny a person from buying a firearm, yet I can't wrap my head around why unpaid parking tickets/taxes would. How is that legal?

Would unpaid parking tickets stop me from getting a permit to protest against underfed panda's/global warming/global cooling? Why is First amendment covered and not the Second? Is this issue on Gene&Company list of lawsuits? I know that we are in California and our elected officials are not tripping over each other handing out AK's and cotton candy at the state line, perhaps we are round pegs in a square world.....

Ok now that I have that rant out of the way, could some one enlighten me as to why that is please.

Where did you hear this?

sholling
07-09-2011, 8:35 PM
Eventually they will try to say that any record including a speeding ticket 20 years ago or late credit card payments shows that you not a law abiding citizen and therefore disqualified.

Rhythm of Life
07-09-2011, 8:40 PM
If your so low you cannot pay your debts why should you be able to gain possessions?

If you owe money, you pay it.

I guess thats why average CC debt in America is now $15,000.

Am I seriously the only one who was raised your supposed to pay your debts?

hoffmang
07-09-2011, 8:43 PM
If your so low you cannot pay your debts why should you be able to gain possessions?

Even the bankrupt retain their fundamental enumerated rights.

Get a CA-ID. I have one and don't need it just in case. The fact that the ID avoids this problem is one of the reasons it isn't on the short list to challenge - though we keep this on the radar.

-Gene

jaq
07-09-2011, 8:47 PM

Right. Everybody but you is low. Excuse me your highness.

I suppose you know nothing about fraudulent credit claims, LA parking reg's and procedures designed to illegally raise funds, outrageous penalties and claims by public and private organizations, etc. ad nauseum.

Where do you live; Mayberry?

Rhythm of Life
07-09-2011, 8:48 PM
Even the bankrupt retain their fundamental enumerated rights.
-Gene

I understand, I just believe if someone cannot responsibly handle paper currency why trust them with a gun.

I just happen to agree with the law for a change.

**I know my statement doesn't directly correlate but hopefully you get the process.

anthonyca
07-09-2011, 8:55 PM
I understand, I just believe if someone cannot responsibly handle paper currency why trust them with a gun.

**I know my statement doesn't directly correlate but hopefully you get the process.

Tickets get lost, business owners have employees who may screw up, cities screw up, camera toll companies send tickets to the wrong person and on and on.

If someone doesn't pay a bill on their own accord there are other means to go after them.

hoffmang
07-09-2011, 9:00 PM

Talk about a policy that will have the effect of disarming the poor...

-Gene

nagorb
07-09-2011, 9:01 PM

Bull ****.

Flying Sig
07-09-2011, 9:07 PM
....I just believe if someone cannot responsibly handle paper currency why trust them with a gun.

That is one of the most stupid posts I've read on Calguns.

blazeaglory
07-09-2011, 9:09 PM

Are you serious? People who have bad credit shouldn't own guns and cannot be trusted with them? That is the biggest joke I have heard all my life!

What if that person had the guns before their credit went bad and were forced to file bankruptcy due to medical bills or a divorce and lost their job? Some people fall on hard times and you say they cant be trusted with guns? So once a person gets bad credit all of a sudden they cannot buy a gun to protect themselves? What if they are in the process of paying back their creditors? There are many reasons for bad credit man. That has to be the most unfounded IGNORANT comment of MY LIFE. Sorry, Im not saying your ignorant but that statement takes the cake.

What is wrong with you?

Wildhawk66
07-09-2011, 9:13 PM
Anyone have proof or personal experience with outstanding parking citations actually being given as a reason for a DROS denial? I would be very interested to know specifics and also what enforcement agencies are involved.

Typically, delinquent citations result in increased fines and a hold being placed on the associated vehicles registration. The delinquent citation is not typically associated with a persons ID or DL. Some agencies do choose to send the registered own of a vehicle with an outstanding citation to collections after a certain period of time, but I have never heard of delinquent citations being used as a reason to deny a DROS.

jaq
07-09-2011, 9:30 PM
Anyone have proof or personal experience with outstanding parking citations actually being given as a reason for a DROS denial? I would be very interested to know specifics and also what enforcement agencies are involved.

Typically, delinquent citations result in increased fines and a hold being placed on the associated vehicles registration. The delinquent citation is not typically associated with a persons ID or DL. Some agencies do choose to send the registered own of a vehicle with an outstanding citation to collections after a certain period of time, but I have never heard of delinquent citations being used as a reason to deny a DROS.

Likewise. Which is why I asked the OP to elaborate. But apparently he or she bailed.

dieselpower
07-09-2011, 9:32 PM
I leased a car is 1999, gave it back in 2000. I get a letter this year from the Franchise Tax Board. "your tax refund was sent to ... for unpaid parking tickets..."

Seems some guy bought my old car..and then in 2009 got several parking tickets...so the LEA contacted the DMV. The DMV then sent the LEA all of my information including my SSN so they could intercept my tax refund.

So I now have to prove DMV is wrong...I did not have the car in 2009... How do I prove that? I turned the car into the leasing company 11 freaking years ago...

So I have unpaid tickets on a car I do not own. DMV says they will not release the information to me since I have no legal reason to find out who owned the car... "its a privacy issue"... yet they tell LEA I own the car...

blazeaglory
07-09-2011, 9:39 PM
I leased a car is 1999, gave it back in 2000. I get a letter this year from the Franchise Tax Board. "your tax refund was sent to ... for unpaid parking tickets..."

Seems some guy bought my old car..and then in 2009 got several parking tickets...so the LEA contacted the DMV. The DMV then sent the LEA all of my information including my SSN so they could intercept my tax refund.

So I now have to prove DMV is wrong...I did not have the car in 2009... How do I prove that? I turned the car into the leasing company 11 freaking years ago...

So I have unpaid tickets on a car I do not own. DMV says they will not release the information to me since I have no legal reason to find out who owned the car... "its a privacy issue"... yet they tell LEA I own the car...

Damn that sux bro. Fist thing I did when I sold my car a couple months ago was release liability on that sunofa*****. But with a leased car it should be the dealer that takes care of that. Sounds like you need a lawyer?

Super Chicken
07-09-2011, 9:48 PM
Where did you hear this?

Sorry I can't provide a link on that, it is just something that has bothered me for a while.

To any one that agrees with the way the law is set up I would like to play "lets pretend"

Lets pretend you have a nice paying job, you pay your bills on time any tickets from driving that bad @ss truck you pay before the LEO who wrote you up clocks out life is peachy, then your company lays you off and you must decide if you pay some bills or feed your kids. After a while the nice credit card companies cancel your cards the house gets foreclosed AND get a speeding ticket as you drive away to a more modest apartment:eek:

So you end up in a place that is not so nice say on the wrong side of the tracks. Now you want firearm to defend home and hearth, alas The Man won't let you buy one because you are a deadbeat so you are forced to buy a baseball bat and pray that somebody doesn't kick the door in at 03:00 as you look for that awesome job to buy that awesome house to park your new awesome truck and live that awesome debt filled life that took a slight detour a little while ago.

That part of the law is wrong and it is ugly.

Cokebottle
07-09-2011, 9:48 PM
You really were a hall monitor in elementary school, weren't you!

Super Chicken
07-09-2011, 9:56 PM
Likewise. Which is why I asked the OP to elaborate. But apparently he or she bailed.

LOL sorry was trying to get the little one to bed, darn kids man.

No I have not had this happen to me or anyone that I know. More like things I have read here online so forgive me if i am spreading FUD. I will snoop around the archive but can't promise a link.

greenninja5150
07-09-2011, 9:59 PM

WTF? Just because I have some debt to my name does not make me a criminal and it doesn't mean that I shouldn't be afforded the exact same rights as those that can afford to buy everything with cash or pay off their entire balance each month. I pay what I can to get the balance down but when BofA tries to kick my interest rate from 5.9% to 24.9%, even though I wasn't late on a single payment, it's not easy. I haven't used a credit card in over a year and a half but I still have a pretty crazy balance. Some people make mistakes with their finances. I did. I should give up my constitutional rights because of it? Maybe you'd be happier if I just declared bankruptcy and wrote the whole thing off? I've thought about it more than once. It sure would be easier. Get off the soap box. We don't need any more excuses to take away our liberties in this state.

jamesob
07-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Lol he stopped posting or what? My credit is f-cked ip royal, it's not because I didn't pay my bills. You see I had a period where my wife lost her job and I had a kid in the hospital. With the shortage of money some people got put off for a bit and they didn't like it. Are they payed up now? Sure but my credit is still screwed. If I lived in my parents basement and didn't have other responsibilities then I could live the life of rhythm of life.

Apocalypsenerd
07-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Will a passport serve as ID or does it have to be state ID?

nagorb
07-09-2011, 11:31 PM
That is one of the most stupid posts I've read on Calguns.

Are you serious? People who have bad credit shouldn't own guns and cannot be trusted with them? That is the biggest joke I have heard all my life!

What if that person had the guns before their credit went bad and were forced to file bankruptcy due to medical bills or a divorce and lost their job? Some people fall on hard times and you say they cant be trusted with guns? So once a person gets bad credit all of a sudden they cannot buy a gun to protect themselves? What if they are in the process of paying back their creditors? There are many reasons for bad credit man. That has to be the most unfounded IGNORANT comment of MY LIFE. Sorry, Im not saying your ignorant but that statement takes the cake.

What is wrong with you?

You really were a hall monitor in elementary school, weren't you!

WTF? Just because I have some debt to my name does not make me a criminal and it doesn't mean that I shouldn't be afforded the exact same rights as those that can afford to buy everything with cash or pay off their entire balance each month. I pay what I can to get the balance down but when BofA tries to kick my interest rate from 5.9% to 24.9%, even though I wasn't late on a single payment, it's not easy. I haven't used a credit card in over a year and a half but I still have a pretty crazy balance. Some people make mistakes with their finances. I did. I should give up my constitutional rights because of it? Maybe you'd be happier if I just declared bankruptcy and wrote the whole thing off? I've thought about it more than once. It sure would be easier. Get off the soap box. We don't need any more excuses to take away our liberties in this state.

Lol he stopped posting or what? My credit is f-cked ip royal, it's not because I didn't pay my bills. You see I had a period where my wife lost her job and I had a kid in the hospital. With the shortage of money some people got put off for a bit and they didn't like it. Are they payed up now? Sure but my credit is still screwed. If I lived in my parents basement and didn't have other responsibilities then I could live the life of rhythm of life.

^^ yep!

unusedusername
07-10-2011, 3:49 AM
People that are bad with money actually need firearms more then people that are good with it.

If you become good enough with money eventually you will have enough to hire your own armed guards and live in ritzy places. Poor people have to live in the bad parts of town and avoid bullets from gangbangers on the way to get groceries.

halifax
07-10-2011, 5:48 AM

I believe ANY warrant (bench or otherwise) can put one in the "fugitive from justice" category; hence, you could be denied on a DROS. Judges issue bench warrants for many contemptible offenses: failure to appear on a jury summons, failure to pay child support, failure to appear/pay for traffic tickets, etc. Since wants/warrants are one of the first things to show up on an ID check, the BOF probably won't just ignore it.

It would be interesting to hear if this has ever actually happened though.

tiki
07-10-2011, 6:50 AM

If you can't spell, then you shouldn't be allowed to post on public forums.
It's "you're" as in "if you are so low" not "your" which signifies possession.

hoffmang
07-10-2011, 9:03 AM
I believe ANY warrant (bench or otherwise) can put one in the "fugitive from justice" category; hence, you could be denied on a DROS.

Getting a warrant for an infraction is generally not how it works. Getting a warrant out for a lot of infractions is a different story and then starts to get into the category of a legitimate restriction as a judge has had to look at it.

-Gene

donw
07-10-2011, 9:06 AM
I've not read anything about that but i do know for a fact that if you owe a city, a county or the state (of California), they WILL deduct it from any tax return you have coming, and they DO notify the credit company bureaus.

i refused to pay a $10.00 penalty on a water bill i did not know was unpaid to the city of San Diego. (I paid the due amount in full but refused to pay the penalty as i was not aware it was unpaid...i did not live there and it was still in my name...i was held responsible for the amount due.)

next tax return it (the penalty) had been deducted from it and it was on my credit report. (still is for i know)

as far as i know, it never hurt my credit, though as i had two people laugh at it when i explained (while financing loans for automobiles.) the general reaction was: "What a bunch of *****holes."

you cannot purchase a hunting license in the state of Arizona if you owe on back child support, and if you have one, it will be suspended.

the governmental entities are rapidly becoming more vindictive and vicious: they want/need/demand revenues.

anthonyca
07-10-2011, 9:23 AM
Getting a warrant for an infraction is generally not how it works. Getting a warrant out for a lot of infractions is a different story and then starts to get into the category of a legitimate restriction as a judge has had to look at it.

-Gene

Interesting. On a similar note, a coworker had a problem. We have a couple hundred company vehicles and he was issued one. He kept calling the office and telling them that he had not received the new tags for the registration. The office said they paid it. They did but someone lost the envelope.

My coworker is pulled over and issued a ticket. I am not sure how this part is supposed to work but there was confusion and he never received any summons for court as paperwork started going to our office. He then was called by our office saying that the bi annual insurance check showed his driver license was suspended and he was fired.

So now he had a bench warrant for failure to appear ( that he didn't even know about) for not paying the registration on a vehicle he didn't own. It was paid, the tags were just lost.

Being that we are an evil union shop, he got his job back but he lost his company vehicle for over year.

Rhythm of life I suppose. Hey rhythm, should he have no second amendment rights now?

halifax
07-10-2011, 9:29 AM

-Gene

I guess things have changed since I was younger. Judges automatically issued bench warrants for Failure to Appear on traffic infractions.

Str8shutr
07-10-2011, 9:39 AM
As a former gun store employee, I have had dozens of these situations. The OP did not get a "DENIAL" even if the store wrongly used that term. What happened to the OP was what DOJ calls a "DMV Rejection. His background packet was kicked back as rejected because the I.D he was using to establish CA residency was invalid (unpaid tickets). Remember..A drivers license is a priveledge, NOT a right.
Typically (as in 99% of the time) the customer just goes and gets a CA I.D card, and re-runs the background check using the I.D card and everything goes smoothly and he gets his gun.

BigDogatPlay
07-10-2011, 11:40 AM
I believe ANY warrant (bench or otherwise) can put one in the "fugitive from justice" category; hence, you could be denied on a DROS.

Correct.

An arrest warrant, even for an unpaid parking ticket, logged against your CDL number = fugitive from justice / no DROS. It also puts a hold on renewing your CDL.

If your CDL and CID card share the same number or the systems are actually properly cross indexing and you have a warrant....... same result.

ETA: Unpaid parking tickets that have not gone to warrant can still cause a hold on your CDL. If there is a hold in place, you will not be able to DROS.

emcon5
07-10-2011, 11:53 AM

Sure. In fact, anyone who owes money should only eat cold Ramen noodles and drink water from public drinking fountains until they are out of debt.:rolleyes:

Cokebottle
07-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Sure. In fact, anyone who owes money should only eat cold Ramen noodles and drink water from public drinking fountains until they are out of debt.:rolleyes:
Ya know, to a certain degree, that's not such a bad thing.

The owner of the company that I worked for from '96 to '06 was like that. He would skip a meal before he would skip paying a bill.
He died in 2000 and his son got the company. Within 3 years the company was in serious financial trouble and within 6 years it was far enough gone that I told them to take a hike and left.

A lot of America's problems are because we've had 20 years of false prosperity that's been driven by cheap, easy credit, in turn driven by housing values.
We have not had the normal balancing levels of inflation.

Now it's time for that 20 years of debt to be repaid.

But that still doesn't mean that those people should have their rights stripped.

dirtyJ
07-10-2011, 4:16 PM

By this logic I should be in jail right? My credit score is bad, 590ish, I owe a solid $20K to people for bad checks and outstanding credit card debt, yet none of that is mine. When you're the subject of identity theft and check fraud, there's not much that can be done if the reporting parties refuse to accept a police report along with evidence proving your innocence 100%. My credit should be cleared up here in about a year, but until that time I can't even get a $500 secured credit card in my name. I got at least 45 guns, but I guess I should have just not gotten those right? Shoulda paid off those debts that were made by criminals using my name and SSN right? ****ing rich ***** pie in the sky ***got, I hate ivory tower ****s like you.

mrdd
07-10-2011, 8:20 PM
My credit score is bad, 590ish, I owe a solid $20K to people for bad checks and outstanding credit card debt, yet none of that is mine. When you're the subject of identity theft and check fraud, there's not much that can be done if the reporting parties refuse to accept a police report along with evidence proving your innocence 100%. My credit should be cleared up here in about a year, but until that time I can't even get a $500 secured credit card in my name.

Have you tried going through the credit reporting agencies? They are required by law to investigate disputes on the report. I suspect they would be very interested in seeing your documentation.

kcbrown
07-10-2011, 8:43 PM
Have you tried going through the credit reporting agencies? They are required by law to investigate disputes on the report. I suspect they would be very interested in seeing your documentation.

Being required by law to "investigate" is meaningless without a parallel requirement that the investigation be fair, impartial, and truthful. Without remedies in law for times when said investigation isn't all of those things, the law is toothless and meaningless.

I would expect, however, that there would be a remedy to be found through libel law...

Monte
07-10-2011, 9:30 PM
This seems relevant. Snagged from the CGF Twitter feed.
http://joshblackman.com/blog/?p=7535

arsilva32
07-10-2011, 9:58 PM

so you think that if i get fired from my job, and cant pay my CC payments, i lose my right to protect my family? that sounds like a liberal anti gun statement if i ever heard one. typical California mentality.

Omil
07-10-2011, 10:53 PM
I believe ANY warrant (bench or otherwise) can put one in the "fugitive from justice" category; hence, you could be denied on a DROS. Judges issue bench warrants for many contemptible offenses: failure to appear on a jury summons, failure to pay child support, failure to appear/pay for traffic tickets, etc. Since wants/warrants are one of the first things to show up on an ID check, the BOF probably won't just ignore it.

It would be interesting to hear if this has ever actually happened though.

Correct.

locosway
07-11-2011, 3:49 AM

Yep... I sold a car, and a year later noticed I had a collection on my credit report. Turns out the DMV told the tow company I owned the car and they slapped me with $2500 worth of fees for a car I didn't own.

AJAX22
07-11-2011, 4:31 AM
I had very bad credit for a period of time as the result of unpaid hospital bills.

I was in a motorcycle accident, was unable to work, and needed to complete treatment before I could get the other driver's insurance to pay.

So, my credit took a beating for the two years it took to determine that the muscle spasm in my neck was a permanent condition and was either going to cause a lifetime dependence on pain killers or I would just have to deal with being in pain for the rest of my life.

Then, because one of the clinics I went to had a retarded billing department, they 'forgot' to invoice me for six months, which happened after I had settled. so I wound up having to pay for that bill myself, which meant I made payments on it for a year.

My credit still hasn't fully recovered.

ldsnet
07-11-2011, 5:04 AM

You get a statement letter from the dealer that you turned in the car. Then take that statement to DMV.

Wife and I had to do the same thing for a car we SOLD a bunch of years ago.

We did turn in the proof of liability form. Good thing I kept a copy of it and was able to send that to DMV. We got our money back and the tickets off our records.

In your case you have been treated as "guilty" without due process. If the tax amount is worth it you may need a lawyer to fix it.

AXI
07-11-2011, 9:16 AM

Being a Christian, I find your sentence outright offensive on every level.

Not only judging people for situations you don't understand, but wishing to revoke a civil liberty as a result. You seem to forget that weapons are here to save lives by PREVENTING violent crime. Your suggestion alludes that those who are having trouble in life have a lesser right to protect their own life.

Those who would put money before someone's LIFE, something that is god given, is deeply ill. I'm not saying you do, and not trying to infer it, but to say that credit score comes before the safety of a person (or that person who fell on hard times' family) would be utterly depraved and un-American to the core.

Please revise and re-analyze your thinking. People say things they don't truly mean, it is part of being human, please rethink your hypothesis on the civil rights of those on lower socioeconomic structures. And please disassociate yourself from us if you maintain your position, it is troubling and upsetting to read.

AXI
07-11-2011, 9:19 AM

Being a Christian, I find your sentence outright offensive on every level.

Not only judging people for situations you don't understand, but wishing to revoke a civil liberty as a result. You seem to forget that weapons are here to save lives by PREVENTING violent crime. Your suggestion alludes that those who are having trouble in life have a lesser right to protect their own life.

Those who would put money before someone's LIFE, something that is god given, is deeply ill. I'm not saying you do, and not trying to infer it, but to say that credit score comes before the safety of a person (or that person who fell on hard times' family) would be utterly depraved and un-American to the core.

Please revise and re-analyze your thinking. People say things they don't truly mean, it is part of being human, please rethink your hypothesis on the civil rights of those on lower socioeconomic structures. And please disassociate yourself from us if you maintain your position, it is troubling and upsetting to read.

Quser.619
07-11-2011, 1:16 PM
Quick someone notify Congress, they're going to have to stop buying the military & all Federal LEO/A weapons, because they're running a 14.3 Trillion deficit. If anyone needs to be curbed right now, it's the Federal Government

dirtyJ
07-11-2011, 3:09 PM

Been there done that. Two years of phone calls and making copies, faxing stuff (legal documents, emails and pictures aren't...), driving 1200 miles round trip to show up in person at trials etc. Nothing did anything for me. I'm pretty sure almost all of that crap will fall off my credit in the next couple years so I've just ignored it.

Riodog
07-11-2011, 3:47 PM
Talk about a policy that will have the effect of disarming the poor...

-Gene

Gene, so who gives a damn anyway? If someone is so poor, that basically means that they don't have the funds to buy boolits which in turn means they can't stay proficient and therefore shouldn't be playing with something they can't use effectively and aren't familiar enough with to be safe.

I've yet to see a homeless person on the freeway off ramp with a sign that reads, "I'm poor! Could you spare a few boolits?"
Rio

hoffmang
07-11-2011, 5:58 PM
Gene, so who gives a damn anyway? If someone is so poor, that basically means that they don't have the funds to buy boolits which in turn means they can't stay proficient and therefore shouldn't be playing with something they can't use effectively and aren't familiar enough with to be safe.

I've yet to see a homeless person on the freeway off ramp with a sign that reads, "I'm poor! Could you spare a few boolits?"
Rio

I think you're being sarcastic, but a Mossberg and a box of buck shot is pretty darn cheap.

-Gene

ALSystems
07-11-2011, 7:05 PM
If your you're so low you cannot pay your debts why should you be able to gain possessions?

This post is incredibly dumb! :eek: :eek: I've been reading almost 2 years worth of calguns.

As more than 15 others have said before, there are many ways your debts can be messed up. Should that eliminate a fundamental right such as the 2nd Amendment. What do you think people would think if the 1st Amendment was eliminated under the similar circumstances that have been described above by others? :confused:

dantodd
07-11-2011, 7:10 PM
It would sure make living under a bridge a lot safer if you had an SBS coach gun in your shopping cart/home. (sans $200 tax stamp)

hoffmang
07-11-2011, 8:52 PM
It would sure make living under a bridge a lot safer if you had an SBS coach gun in your shopping cart/home. (sans $200 tax stamp)

OAL of non SBS coach guns is pretty darn short FWIW.

-Gene

taperxz
07-11-2011, 9:05 PM

Rio

You know, just because you posted this, i am going to find someone down on their luck who needs a shotgun and give it to them! I will pay the dros and give them ammo. Now, where do you go with this?

hoffmang
07-11-2011, 9:06 PM
You know, just because you posted this, i am going to find someone down on their luck who needs a shotgun and give it to them! I will pay the dros and give them ammo. Now, where do you go with this?

I know you're only partially facetious as I've seriously considered coming up with a charity to hand out training, shotguns, and ammo to the law abiding living in hell holes...

-Gene

taperxz
07-11-2011, 9:10 PM
I know you're only partially facetious as I've seriously considered coming up with a charity to hand out training, shotguns, and ammo to the law abiding living in hell holes...

-Gene

Actually i was serious. I know a few people who would want one and i have plenty i don't use. Regardless of my demeanor i am a charitable person. I was quite serious and don't like seeing others look down at people who are hard on their luck. Been there done that years ago.:D

arsilva32
07-11-2011, 9:16 PM

Rio

well i'm poor but i've been handling firearms for 35 years.to say that i dont have the right to defend my family because i'm poor is down right UN-american and quite frankly asinine.

taperxz
07-11-2011, 9:18 PM
Gene, Can a non profit facilitate donations for such a thing legally?

bussda
07-11-2011, 9:47 PM

-Gene

Those that want them, have them. Those that don't either don't want them or are barred from having them. What they need is places to train or shoot and encouragement that it is socially acceptable.

G60
07-11-2011, 10:42 PM
That's untrue. I know several people who want to purchase arms for defense for for some reason believe the cost is more prohibitive than it actually is, and it keeps them from giving the idea any real consideration.

The other week I spoke to someone who wanted a pistol, but didn't have the '$2000 to buy one'. You should have seen the look on his face when i told him realistically he could get one for $400-500 or less.

I know others who think there is a difficult licensing scheme just to purchase firearms.

We've got it hard here, but not as hard as some people think.

jakekanen
07-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Kinda random and slightly off topic, but would a violation, say from Fast-Trak also affect the DROS? And result in a denial?

762.DEFENSE
07-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Underground regulation.

Wow..

gunsmith
07-12-2011, 9:40 AM

"Excessive fee's and fines shall not be imposed"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the mountains of red tape & fines for imaginary crimes that are outrageously high are foul disgusting traps, I wish I could hang the bstrds for treason.

bussda
07-12-2011, 9:43 AM
That's untrue. I know several people who want to purchase arms for defense for for some reason believe the cost is more prohibitive than it actually is, and it keeps them from giving the idea any real consideration.

The other week I spoke to someone who wanted a pistol, but didn't have the '$2000 to buy one'. You should have seen the look on his face when i told him realistically he could get one for $400-500 or less.

I know others who think there is a difficult licensing scheme just to purchase firearms.

We've got it hard here, but not as hard as some people think.

Yes, there are many misconceptions out there about what it takes to acquire a weapon. And with many pawn shops no longer dealing in firearms, perceptions are it is very difficult. But those that want them, will have them. It is just a matter of how much a person wants one.

And people here on Calguns talking about needing $2000 to buy that customized (with things they do not need or understand) handgun they want does not help. :)

760practicalshooter
07-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Holier than thou.

Coded-Dude
07-12-2011, 10:30 AM

our government is armed and they don't pay their bills.

IrishPirate
07-12-2011, 10:53 AM

apparently you aren't aware that accidents happen. ever try to pay off a weeks stay in the hospital when you're on unemployment and you have to pay your mortgage, put food on the table, and keep the lights on? I haven't, and i sure as hell hope that I never have to...but lots of people have been in that position. Not everyone with debt went on a wild bender with their credit card and live totally out of their means. Some people were forced into crappy situations, live in a crappy neighborhood, and want to buy a gun to protect themselves so they can live to get themselves and their families out of the mess they are in.

sometimes it's hard to imagine why everything doesn't go as well for others as it has for you when you're head is so far up your ***

dantodd
07-12-2011, 11:06 AM
OAL of non SBS coach guns is pretty darn short FWIW.

-Gene

Who said non-SBS? one thing at a time but a gun-specific tax is going to have a hard time passing strict scrutiny. Especially when it might be the most reasonable solution for those who are less privileged.

ubet
07-12-2011, 11:27 AM
rhythm of life I guess has no more answers to his innate wisdom.

jamesob
07-12-2011, 11:36 AM
rhythm of life I guess has no more answers to his innate wisdom.

maybe his parents grounded him from the computer?

AJAX22
07-12-2011, 1:47 PM

-Gene

I've bought cheap beater guns and give them away to people who can't afford home defense guns(C&R long arms and antique handguns).

I can usually scrape up a single barreled or bolt action shotgun, and typically get it into functional shape for $50 ish... sometimes less.

thats why you never see me selling functional c&r long arms, only projects... ;)

I would buy a crate of project guns for as cheap as I can get them (often 5-$15 each), cherry pick for the easy projects (and anything I like for myself), sell off the remainder at a markup and use the proceeds to pay for parts to fix up the ones I give away.

I wasn't making any money doing it, but I would come dangerously close to breaking even if you didn't count the stuff I bought and kept.

I've also put a lot of thought into how it could be done through a charity.... and I have some ideas that might work.

Obtaining funding would be a bit tough... and the liability would be quite high (unless... you make the charity an 07/02.... then you might be protected by the PLCAA.... and it would allow you to have guns made on a variance with your custom name and markings)

Patrick-2
07-13-2011, 3:20 AM

As a resident of CA I got a ticket for illegal right on red in LA. Also was driving a company car and could not find the insurance card, though it was insured. Took the ticket and promptly forgot about it. I traveled a lot at the time, so the mail kinda got lost. Not an excuse, but an explanation.

Fast forward a few months and finally someone from CA got hold of me and notified me that my CA license was getting suspended and that I owed $1300.00 in fines and penalties. Suddenly, I remembered that ticket.

I paid up promptly.

As this applies to your question, I am pretty sure that between the time I got that ticket and paid those fines I bought a Remington 870. I got the ticket going to meet with one girlfriend and got the call over the ticket while skiing with another girlfriend. I bought the gun between those girlfriends. Calendar dates may escape me, but not other kinds of 'dates'. Especially those two...

So my outlaw ways did not cause any issues buying a gun. This was all circa 2006.

nicki
07-13-2011, 11:05 AM
How about a person loses their right to vote until they pay their parking ticket.

How about a person loses their 4th amendment rights until they pay their parking ticket.

How about a person loses their right of free speech until they pay their parking ticket.

How about we suspend a person's cable, TV, telephone service until they pay their parking ticket.

How about we BAN people from CALGUNS until they pay their parking ticket:D

When we create large segments of the population who are prohibited from owning guns, guess how much they will support us when the government comes to take away our rights?

How many of the bad laws we have to deal with now started out as laws that only were to be applied to certain undesirable groups?

Nicki

Wildhawk66
07-13-2011, 11:15 AM
While this thread has covered some interesting ground, there has been zero evidence of any kind presented to indicate outstanding parking citations are negatively impacting firearms purchasing or possession.

Wildhawk66
07-13-2011, 11:18 AM
How about a person loses their right to vote until they pay their parking ticket.

How about a person loses their 4th amendment rights until they pay their parking ticket.

How about a person loses their right of free speech until they pay their parking ticket.

How about we suspend a person's cable, TV, telephone service until they pay their parking ticket.

How about we BAN people from CALGUNS until they pay their parking ticket:D

When we create large segments of the population who are prohibited from owning guns, guess how much they will support us when the government comes to take away our rights?

How many of the bad laws we have to deal with now started out as laws that only were to be applied to certain undesirable groups?

Nicki

I personally feel nicki's overall point is a good one, but it would be better made if the "parking ticket" in the example was substituted with something that actually infringed on the right.

gunsmith
07-15-2011, 8:40 PM
While this thread has covered some interesting ground, there has been zero evidence of any kind presented to indicate outstanding parking citations are negatively impacting firearms purchasing or possession.

yup! I bought and sold a ton in the good old days of dot com-ism with plenty of unpaid parking tickets.

My driving privileges currently are suspended in Cali due to unpaid fines , I still have a ccw.

CA is insane with useless laws and red tape that screw the working poor out of a living, in 1998 I was a motorcycle messenger in Florida, to be able to park in a commercial zone there I had to simply put a sign on my motorcycle to identify myself as a commercial vehicle, in CAli you've got mountains of fines/fee's and red tape to be a commercial vehicle & they didn't let me register my bike as one even though I was a freaking messenger, in 2008 I ended up living in my friends car due to the excessive fines imposed by the scumbaggers in SF city hall. I couldn't park in the yellow zone because I couldn't register as a commercial vehicle. It would have been easier to give up and go on welfare.

I seriously think we need to hang 90% of Cali politicians due to their war against working people.

Oh, and if your into giving guns to people in need, I make under 500 a month right now!

Anchors
07-15-2011, 8:59 PM

We should just sentence people to death for bad financial choices then, since not having a firearm for self-defense could very well do just that.

(P.S. I have extremely good credit for my age and income, so I'm not disagreeing out of personal objection.)

Anchors
07-15-2011, 9:03 PM
I've bought cheap beater guns and give them away to people who can't afford home defense guns(C&R long arms and antique handguns).

I can usually scrape up a single barreled or bolt action shotgun, and typically get it into functional shape for $50 ish... sometimes less.

thats why you never see me selling functional c&r long arms, only projects... ;)

I would buy a crate of project guns for as cheap as I can get them (often 5-$15 each), cherry pick for the easy projects (and anything I like for myself), sell off the remainder at a markup and use the proceeds to pay for parts to fix up the ones I give away.

I wasn't making any money doing it, but I would come dangerously close to breaking even if you didn't count the stuff I bought and kept.

I've also put a lot of thought into how it could be done through a charity.... and I have some ideas that might work.

Obtaining funding would be a bit tough... and the liability would be quite high (unless... you make the charity an 07/02.... then you might be protected by the PLCAA.... and it would allow you to have guns made on a variance with your custom name and markings)

Coolest idea ever Gene and Ajax.
I wish I could get more people in the ghetto into legal gun ownership.

jaq
07-15-2011, 9:16 PM
...the governmental entities are rapidly becoming more vindictive and vicious: they want/need/demand revenues.

Da__ed skippy! You got that right. They are quite out of control and have been for quite some time.

I guess things have changed since I was younger. Judges automatically issued bench warrants for Failure to Appear on traffic infractions.

A traffic violation like speeding, etc., is an infraction. When one fails to appear or fails to pay one is charged with Failure To Appear (FTA) or Failure To Pay (FTP), which are misdemeanor crimes and the judge issues a bench warrant, the DMV is notified and automatically suspends one's driver's license.

But I have never heard of a parking ticket going into FTA/FTP status. Not to say it hasn't or can't happen - I just am unaware of such a process being in place. Parking tickets violations process that I am familiar with are associated with the vehicle and not the person.