PDA

View Full Version : One More Mech-Tech Thread...

Cali-V
07-09-2011, 7:16 PM
Ok just put together parts for a Mech-Tech Mid Range Pistol...

I'd like to assemble it such that when mated to a 1911 frame, it remains a pistol, and is a non AW per California law...

So am I missing anything?

Here are the specs;

Barrel Length 15.75"
Overall Length 22.5"
Forward rail installed on lower part of ABS frame cover.
Butt Stock removed.

I'm using a wide frame Para Ordnance SA frame...

Here are a couple of pics:

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k382/Cali-V/Snapbucket/3FBD6EF7.jpg
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k382/Cali-V/Snapbucket/FCF8C2F2.jpg
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k382/Cali-V/Snapbucket/43914C53.jpg

762.DEFENSE
07-09-2011, 7:20 PM
:drool5:

Cali-V
07-09-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm :drool5: too...
Should have a range report soon...

Any feedback?

dfletcher
07-10-2011, 12:38 AM
I have a Mech Tech too, went the dedicated 1911 lower and BB route instead. I have an extra tube with shoulder stock (no innards) and have thought more than once about taking the same route as you with another 1911 & Mech Tech. My concern is whether that tube & handguard up front would be considered a shroud - is that the reason for the rail?

The "butt stock removed" as opposed to never having a buttstock shouldn't be an issue because the Mech Tech unit, with no "frame" ever being attached is not a long gun - still, since Mech Tech sells the upper now with no buttstock having ever been attached I think I'd grab one of those, but that's just me erring on the safe side.

If having had a buttstock attached makes a difference I know Mech Tech will sell their new tube - I see you have the older tube (slanted front end, white scope rail).

What's the reason for keeping the barrel under 16"? If you're OK on the other points whether the gun has a 15" bbl or a 16.1" bbl shouldn't make a difference, yes?

I've thought about getting this set up, would be a great addition to the Encore and Contender and XP100 stuff - a little more than one shot at a time would be fun.

You've got the "ParaBlock" steel insert for the thing, right?

tonelar
07-10-2011, 12:53 AM
That's absolutely 100% badass!

Cali-V
07-10-2011, 1:27 AM
I have a Mech Tech too, went the dedicated 1911 lower and BB route instead. I have an extra tube with shoulder stock (no innards) and have thought more than once about taking the same route as you with another 1911 & Mech Tech. My concern is whether that tube & handguard up front would be considered a shroud - is that the reason for the rail?

The "butt stock removed" as opposed to never having a buttstock shouldn't be an issue because the Mech Tech unit, with no "frame" ever being attached is not a long gun - still, since Mech Tech sells the upper now with no buttstock having ever been attached I think I'd grab one of those, but that's just me erring on the safe side.

If having had a buttstock attached makes a difference I know Mech Tech will sell their new tube - I see you have the older tube (slanted front end, white scope rail).

What's the reason for keeping the barrel under 16"? If you're OK on the other points whether the gun has a 15" bbl or a 16.1" bbl shouldn't make a difference, yes?

I've thought about getting this set up, would be a great addition to the Encore and Contender and XP100 stuff - a little more than one shot at a time would be fun.

You've got the "ParaBlock" steel insert for the thing, right?

The rail greatly improves function, versatility, and to an extent deals with the handguard concept.

I thought about the tube, but given the position of the barrel trunnion, being right up front and the operation of the bolt as it relates to the trunnion; All of the tube except about .125" functions as either a mount for the trunnion or a guide for the bolt. It's primary design function is surly not a shroud.

Barrel under 16" ensures that the gun with the upper installed, will be defined as a handgun here in CA . I may be off base but take a look at PC12001(a) (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12000.php) .
The Mech-Tec barrel is not designed to be interchanged with a barrel less than 16 inches in length, if we were talking about frame or slide yes... barrel i don't think so...

Yeah I got the "ParaBlock"

That's absolutely 100% badass!

Yeah... I like the idea of tossing 230 gr. 100yds down range...
I need spend on a good mini red dot...

dfletcher
07-10-2011, 2:36 AM
I see the point on going under 16" on bbl length.

I know a red dot is the popular choice, I'd go with a Weaver 2 to 8X handgun scope. Just something I'm used to I guess. Either way, I bet the thing is going to be much fun.