Coded-Dude
07-09-2011, 10:47 AM
that's how it should be.

sandman21
07-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Very nice to see. :rockon:

Shiboleth
07-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Someone should send this to Philadelphia PD to let them know it's possible to conduct themselves without violent hostility and **** every other word.

k1dude
07-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Very nice.

gobler
07-09-2011, 12:59 PM
No link :(

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The Shadow
07-09-2011, 1:03 PM
Awesome, that's the kind of attitude that makes a person want to interact with LE.

PsychGuy274
07-09-2011, 1:04 PM
Now I see what some people on this board mean when they act like all cops are evil. :rolleyes:

the big ravioli
07-09-2011, 1:10 PM
Someone should send this to Philadelphia PD to let them know it's possible to conduct themselves without violent hostility and **** every other word.

++1

WILDMAN442
07-09-2011, 1:12 PM
Hell I would BS'ed with ya about what you were carrying. Thats how I roll.

Unfortunately no one OC's in the city I work.

Justin

Vipersx911
07-09-2011, 1:29 PM
That was awesome, thanks for posting this one for everyone to see the good side of the law. Rare to see positive contact wil LEO's, normally only the bad makes the internet.

BannedinBritain
07-09-2011, 3:13 PM
San Diego just lost a lawsuit for hassling a guy who was open carrying. I strongly suspect the entire force has been re-educated and brought up to speed on the law.

^^^This^^^

While it didn't "just" happen (I'm thinking like a year ago?), they did have to pay out a nice sum of money for an encounter which went quite differently than the one posted above.

CitaDeL
07-09-2011, 4:08 PM
And this is the benefit of correctly applied education. Without that 'bad' encounter the police would have learned nothing and we would have gained nothing.

ArmyMedicMoose
07-09-2011, 4:13 PM
Its nice to see this.

Liberty1
07-09-2011, 5:29 PM
No link :(

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=9sojqOm5Hy8

ArmyMedicMoose
07-09-2011, 5:30 PM
Could be just the fact they had a camera on them tho.

gobler
07-09-2011, 5:48 PM

Liberty1
07-09-2011, 5:53 PM
Praise is due IMO, if only to reinforce proper behavior and foster good relations. Well done brother and sister officers!

gobler
07-09-2011, 5:57 PM
Now I see what some people on this board mean when they act like all cops are evil. :rolleyes:

Sorry but this is an example of how "peace officers" SHOULD act. They were observing the area to make sure laws were not broken and were up on the constitutional right to keep and bare arms.

Anchors
07-09-2011, 6:04 PM
9sojqOm5Hy8

Wait, was this you?
Aren't you a LEO? haha.

Liberty1
07-09-2011, 6:10 PM
Wait, was this you?
Aren't you a LEO? haha.

Not me. I don't know who it is but I know some of the SD UOCers.

Apocalypsenerd
07-09-2011, 6:22 PM
Could be just the fact they had a camera on them tho.

They seemed pretty nice. If they were only behaving themselves because of the camera, there would have been less smiles and more tension.

InGrAM
07-09-2011, 7:38 PM
That was good. I wonder how it would have been if they didn't have a camera and they weren't told before hand that people would be UOC?

But very good.

SDS-Ruger
07-09-2011, 7:56 PM
good interaction to bad that is not how all interaction are.

The Shadow
07-09-2011, 8:13 PM
Just a curiosity, but if it was prearranged, then why does the UOCer say, "That was unexpected" ? I'm not sure I understand the point to that statement.

Arkangel86
07-09-2011, 8:34 PM
Just a curiosity, but if it was prearranged, then why does the UOCer say, "That was unexpected" ? I'm not sure I understand the point to that statement.

I think he meant it was unexpected it went so smooth?

CitaDeL
07-09-2011, 10:43 PM

Because in many cases, even if you are courteous enough to give the police advance notice, they will either make it an opportunity to 'train' other officers or assert their authority to inspect for loaded condition as a deterent against future UOC activities.

skanless
07-09-2011, 10:48 PM
I have seen 2 videos of San Diego PD so far handling the situation well. I wonder if they got a memo of some sort from the higher up in the county about this.

CitaDeL
07-09-2011, 10:56 PM
I have seen 2 videos of San Diego PD so far handling the situation well. I wonder if they got a memo of some sort from the higher up in the county about this.

Uhm, yes. The name 'Sam Wolanyk' and the word 'lawsuit' ring any bells?

Anchors
07-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Not me. I don't know who it is but I know some of the SD UOCers.

Ohhhh. It threw me off because the UOCer says "yeah, I work down at the station" and the other officer goes "oh yeah".

Wouldn't it be a political nightmare at work for a cop to be doing the UOC activism on his free time?

BannedinBritain
07-10-2011, 3:20 AM
If the video was taken July 4th, the UOCer needs to reset the date in his camera. :p

axel4488
07-10-2011, 3:55 AM
IMHO SDPD and Escondido PD have the greatest leo presence I have ever seen. Always courteous and even when having to give out the tickets are very nice and dont try to demean you like other police forces *cough cough Corona cough cough*

Mulay El Raisuli
07-10-2011, 5:21 AM
Sorry but this is an example of how "peace officers" SHOULD act. They were observing the area to make sure laws were not broken and were up on the constitutional right to keep and bare arms.

I never, ever make mention of spelling errors. But given that this was a UOC event, was the above a subtle joke?

If so, kudos.

If not, please forget I said anything.

The Raisuli

Kid Stanislaus
07-10-2011, 10:11 AM
You'd be surprised at how losing a big lawsuit and a bit of re-training can make a PD treat people better. This needs to happen in every big city in America.

me109g4
07-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Now this good behaviour should be reinforced by everyone e-mailing SDPD and congratulating them on thier proffesionalism in this instance. Praise goes a long way nowadays. JT

DisgruntledReaper
07-10-2011, 11:07 AM
You know what ALWAYS amazes me is that every LAW ABIDING CITIZEN gets hassled by leo in this state for trying to exercise our rights by PLAINLY AND OPENLY carrying if there is no CCW......I mean if 'we' were all criminals 'we' would all be carrying our 'heat' concealed anyway so 'we' WOULD NOT draw attention...

DO they JUST NOT GET IT!? Last thing a person who is bent on doing bad crap is going to do is ADVERTISE ....sheesh

Arkangel86
07-10-2011, 11:25 AM
It would be great if we could somehow get this put on the news, great way to educate the general public

jak77
07-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Tagging this so I can watch when I get home from work

Firemark
07-10-2011, 6:12 PM
I was open carrying with one other person that day in video(the gentleman with the dog).

The camera was a hidden spy pen camera, my hands were empty, officers did not see any camera, although the department has notified all officers that ALL UOC'rs will be carrying recording devices or are being recorded.

Only pre-arrangement was when I bumped into on duty Lietenant in charge of beach area the day before this video, advised that some UOC'rs would be out on the 4th, just to refresh memories of patrol officers.

I have tried many times and the video camera date and time cant be reset directions are in japanese. (sorry)

I do work down the street at the station, not LE though, see my screen name for a clue.

The point of contact for SDPD to extend thanks and appreciation is
Assistant Chief Shelly Zimmerman Public relations (heads up all Open Carry issues)
szimmerman@pd.sandiego.gov

Sorry didint get officer ID's.

I am a strong proponent of working WITH Law Enforcement. Have had mostly good results.:)

Theseus
07-10-2011, 6:31 PM
Well, if it makes you all feel any better, Alhambra Police were pleasant and smiling the entire time they detained me, illegally searched and seized me, my wallet, my handgun, and my magazines. . .

Firemark
07-10-2011, 6:36 PM
Well, if it makes you all feel any better, Alhambra Police were pleasant and smiling the entire time they detained me, illegally searched and seized me, my wallet, my handgun, and my magazines. . .

What happend to you was terrible, it is why I take extra precautions, dont trust anyone in LE (especially higher ups) and focus on dealing with LE to prevent it happening to anyone else.

blazeaglory
07-10-2011, 7:36 PM
This is a good thread but is somewhat misleading. I think the OP had contacted the police department FIRST to let them know he was going to open carry. Dont assume that everything is on the up and up in SD. If you plan to open carry please take the proper steps necessary to avoid being harassed.

I know it is LEGAL to open carry but some LEO are still not to keen on it and will harass you.

I would liked to have seen an explanation of the video for clarification. Im not trying to be a jerk but I am trying to save someone who thinks they can open carry and not be harassed by SD PD.

Anchors
07-10-2011, 8:27 PM
I do work down the street at the station, not LE though, see my screen name for a clue.

Hmmm...civilian auxiliary police? :p
Just kidding. Thanks for beating up fires, those things suck.

This is a good thread but is somewhat misleading. I think the OP had contacted the police department FIRST to let them know he was going to open carry. Dont assume that everything is on the up and up in SD. If you plan to open carry please take the proper steps necessary to avoid being harassed.

No. He just said that he didn't contact them ahead of time, but that he open carries in the area often (I believe).

blazeaglory
07-10-2011, 8:35 PM
Hmmm...civilian auxiliary police? :p
Just kidding. Thanks for beating up fires, those things suck.

No. He just said that he didn't contact them ahead of time, but that he open carries in the area often (I believe).

Ah, But it sounded like on the video that he talked to the lieutenant ahead of time and that the LEO were already waiting for them.

I was only wondering what kind of treatment someone who DID NOT notify the lieutenant first would get.

Yugo
07-10-2011, 8:40 PM
do you guys think that they were extra nice cause they knew he was a fireman.?

spiders1972
07-10-2011, 8:45 PM
Now that's how all LE encounters should be like.:clap:

Firemark
07-10-2011, 8:52 PM
Ah, But it sounded like on the video that he talked to the lieutenant ahead of time and that the LEO were already waiting for them.

I was only wondering what kind of treatment someone who DID NOT notify the lieutenant first would get.

To clear up, I was working the day before, I ran into the LT. on a call and mentioned there would be some UOC'rs tomorrow on the 4th of July. He thanked me for the heads up, im sure he made mention of it at morning line up to the patrol officers the day of.

I also work in the same area and regularly discuss 2A issues as well as UOC movement with pretty much every LEO I meet and work with on 911 calls. I put quite a lot of time and effort into educating many of them about gun rights and the law. I also UOC in this area on a regular basis.

Does this mean that everyone should expect this in Anycity California? NO way, not until people put in the time and effort to work with LE and change their hearts and minds. This video should in no way encourage people to feel safe about UOC, it is still very dangerous and you can and still will have your civil rights threatend. I hope that addresses your point blazeaglory. Thanks for the input.

Firemark
07-10-2011, 9:02 PM
do you guys think that they were extra nice cause they knew he was a fireman.?

I was not the only UOC'r and 2 of those 3 officers I had never met before that day. Could be cause of who I am....We did an Open Carry event for MLK in SD, 20+ carriers, no echecks then either, they may not like the potential negative youtubeage. So that might be why they refrain from E checks. Hard to tell exactly. Could be that talking with them is helping too, at least I like to think so. FWIW.

blazeaglory
07-10-2011, 9:05 PM
To clear up, I was working the day before, I ran into the LT. on a call and mentioned there would be some UOC'rs tomorrow on the 4th of July. He thanked me for the heads up, im sure he made mention of it at morning line up to the patrol officers the day of.

I also work in the same area and regularly discuss 2A issues as well as UOC movement with pretty much every LEO I meet and work with on 911 calls. I put quite a lot of time and effort into educating many of them about gun rights and the law. I also UOC in this area on a regular basis.

Does this mean that everyone should expect this in Anycity California? NO way, not until people put in the time and effort to work with LE and change their hearts and minds. This video should in no way encourage people to feel safe about UOC, it is still very dangerous and you can and still will have your civil rights threatend. I hope that addresses your point blazeaglory. Thanks for the input.

Ah Thank you:)

Keep up the good work! I wish there were more people like you who were not afraid or too worried to OC in CA. Thank You

Yugo
07-12-2011, 10:38 AM
I was not the only UOC'r and 2 of those 3 officers I had never met before that day. Could be cause of who I am....We did an Open Carry event for MLK in SD, 20+ carriers, no echecks then either, they may not like the potential negative youtubeage. So that might be why they refrain from E checks. Hard to tell exactly. Could be that talking with them is helping too, at least I like to think so. FWIW.

Well at least SOMETHING is working. ;) Thanks for your 2a support. I would love to come out one of these days to a UOC event (there is too many schools where I live to do this).

Kid Stanislaus
07-12-2011, 6:59 PM

Be thankful they didn't bang your face on the sidewalk whilst they were stomping on your constitutional rights.;)

stix213
07-12-2011, 7:08 PM
Video must be faked, since I don't see any guns drawn or proning out

uyoga
07-12-2011, 7:31 PM
. . . and that's the way it should be. Like wearing a hat!

MindBuilder
07-13-2011, 10:20 AM
If you cant set the clock in your camera, then every once in a while before you go out, make a video of yourself logging on to the National Institutes of Standards and Technology time web page at time.gov. Reload the page once or twice to establish freshness. Then the precise time difference can be calculated later if necessary.

Another option is to make a video of the time on your cellphone, which, depending on your phone, may be extremely precise or probably at least within a few seconds. This has the advantage that it can usually be done in the same continuous video after leaving the scene of an important incident.

dantodd
07-13-2011, 10:59 AM

You're an arsonist? ;)

Firemark
07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Another option is to make a video of the time on your cellphone, which, depending on your phone, may be extremely precise or probably at least within a few seconds. This has the advantage that it can usually be done in the same continuous video after leaving the scene of an important incident.

Great Idea, if time permits and I can get my watch in front of the lense it should be visible, date and time (24 hour clock), Satellite watch so it updates autocorrects time daily, or at the end just before truning off the camera should work also....Thanks

Liberty1
07-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Btt for comparison with other current events...

Delphin25
07-20-2011, 4:50 PM
Nice. Thanks for posting.

Firemark
10-05-2011, 8:54 PM
Next one (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?95270-Car-Show-Oct.8th-2011-Santee-Town-Center)

Ubermcoupe
10-05-2011, 9:25 PM
That was so great it was uneventful. Nice to see things went well. :thumbsup:

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFzH5Oe-YL4) one is still my favorite though. :D