PDA

View Full Version : Transport Question

JJ682
07-08-2011, 8:51 PM
So I recently purchased a Henry Survival Rifle (Like the AR-7) and I was curious about transporting it. I know it is perfectly legal to transport a rifle unlocked, so long as it is unloaded, but I always lock my rifles to avoid the LEO hassle. I'm not planning on locking up this particular rifle because it fits so nicely in its own stock.
So I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten grief for a similar situation?

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ar7-22rifle-003.jpg

Librarian
07-08-2011, 9:53 PM
So long as you don't get stopped in a Federal GFSZ, that should be OK. Since those are identical with CA GFSZ, one might theoretically get some attention, but even for Feds, a trunk is a 'locked container'.

Decoligny
07-08-2011, 9:58 PM
So long as you don't get stopped in a Federal GFSZ, that should be OK. Since those are identical with CA GFSZ, one might theoretically get some attention, but even for Feds, a trunk is a 'locked container'.

They may cover the identical area, but the CA lawzdoesn't make it a crime to transport an unloaded rifle through the GFSZ, the Fed law does.

mdimeo
07-08-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm not planning on locking up this particular rifle because it fits so nicely in its own stock.
So I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten grief for a similar situation?
[/IMG]

It's clearly legal in a locked trunk just about anywhere. I'd expect this, at least, to be well-understood by cops.

And really, how often do you get your car searched by the police? Be polite, shut up, don't consent, "Am I free to go?"

timdps
07-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Put some sort of a lock on the butttplate so it locks the gun parts in the stock?

Quiet
07-08-2011, 10:45 PM
My friend drives around with one all the time. He's been doing it since 1999 and never had a problem.
It's broken down and stored in the stock, which is in his bugout bag that is in the trunk of his car.

FXR
07-09-2011, 2:35 PM
Put some sort of a lock on the butttplate so it locks the gun parts in the stock?
My brother did this - he swaged a cable loop that slips over the stock and has 2 other loops that cross over the buttplate and are secured by a small padlock, keeping the receiver locked up. Get extra cable and swages, as it took a few tries to get the size just right. Heat shrink or tool dip over the swages is a good idea too.

mdimeo
07-09-2011, 8:31 PM
My brother did this - he swaged a cable loop that slips over the stock and has 2 other loops that cross over the buttplate and are secured by a small padlock, keeping the receiver locked up. Get extra cable and swages, as it took a few tries to get the size just right. Heat shrink or tool dip over the swages is a good idea too.

Everyone realizes that provides no legal benefit, right? It's not locked in a case, and it's not a california approved trigger lock.

FXR
07-09-2011, 9:47 PM
Everyone realizes that provides no legal benefit, right? It's not locked in a case, and it's not a california approved trigger lock.

The receiver, legally the firearm, is enclosed in a secure hard plastic container (shaped like a stock) and locked with a padlock. How is that not locked in a case?