PDA

View Full Version : Biodata test?

Tacit Blue
07-08-2011, 4:50 PM
Hello, i'm taking a written test soon. It mentions Biodata, which i'm assuming is a personality test of some kind. And not like a resume that is needed to be filled out.

But correct me if i'm wrong the test is designed; to check for consistent answers. Either dishonest/honest and based on that data, determine suitability for job placement? Is the trick just to be rational, and answer without for instance saying " I strongly disagree". Or answer a question with a outlandish response, when it just makes you appear to be better?

" A response to a single biodata item is of little value. Rather, it is the pattern of responses across several different situations that give biographical data the power to predict future behavior on the job. For this reason, biodata measures often contain between 10 and 30 items and some wide-ranging instruments may contain a hundred or more items. Response options commonly use a 5-point scale (1 = Strongly Disagree to 5 = Strongly Agree). Once a group of biodata items is pre-tested on a sample of applicants, the responses are used to group the items into categories or scales. Biodata items grouped in this way are used to assess how effectively applicants performed in the past in competency areas closely matched to those required by the job."

Roddd
07-08-2011, 4:55 PM
These tests hold a lotta weight with departments. They're designed to give an idea of the type of person you are. The best way to answer them is truthfully. If you lie on a few and answer the others honestly, they can pick up on it. It's nothing you should worry about though. Good luck!

Tacit Blue
07-08-2011, 5:00 PM
These tests hold a lotta weight with departments. They're designed to give an idea of the type of person you are. The best way to answer them is truthfully. If you lie on a few and answer the others honestly, they can pick up on it. It's nothing you should worry about though. Good luck!

I will be honest, the test is designed i believe that if your asked a absurd question. And you strongly oppose it/agree, to make yourself look better it will be flagged. And you could be possibly asked the same question again a different format.

I remember my Deputy friend who started in the 70's .He explained to me, that when he was hired on they didn't use a Polygraph!! What ever happened to trust?

retired
07-08-2011, 5:09 PM
I will be honest, the test is designed i believe that if your asked a absurd question. And you strongly oppose it, to make yourself look better it will be flagged. And you could be possibly asked the same question again a different format.

I remember my Deputy friend who started in the 70's .He explained to me, that when he was hired on they didn't use a Polygraph!! What ever happened to trust?

I wonder what dept. that was. I hired on with LASD in 1976 and I, along with the rest of the applicants who had made it to that point, were all given a polygraph.

Tacit Blue
07-08-2011, 5:11 PM
I wonder what dept. that was. I hired on with LASD in 1976 and I, along with the rest of the applicants who had made it to that point, were all given a polygraph.

San Diego Sheriff's, so he boasted one time on the matter.

oddjob
07-08-2011, 5:27 PM
I was never polygraphed.....my last agency hiring was 1987. I just took one for a part time deputy position though.

GrizzlyGuy
07-09-2011, 6:32 AM
Biodata tests are increasingly common and are used by many private sector firms as well. Some info relative to this context:

Police Biodata Test How to Prepare for the Written Exam (http://passthepolicetest.com/police-written-exam/police-biodata-test-how-to-prepare-for-the-written-exam)

Sample Questions from FBI (http://www.fbijobs.gov/11213.asp)

Tacit Blue
07-09-2011, 8:57 AM
I took the test this morning. The biodata was the least of my worries, they had a memory recall test. 40 questions in 2 mins, without the use of notes. I tried memorizing all the important facts such as license plates,street names, descriptions of people etc.

But they threw us a curved ball and asked questions such as how many wheels did the hot dog cart have? Or did the building have a fire escape?

Hopefully i passed guys! :party:

9mmepiphany
07-09-2011, 11:12 AM
they had a memory recall test. 40 questions in 2 mins, without the use of notes. I tried memorizing all the important facts such as license plates,street names, descriptions of people etc.

But they threw us a curved ball and asked questions such as how many wheels did the hot dog cart have? Or did the building have a fire escape?
That is the point of that test...it isn't a curveball...observational skills, not memory skills. The trick to that test is just to see the picture(s) as a whole without missing anything. You either saw everything, or you didn't

Tacit Blue
07-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Yeah it wasn't a standard POST test. It was customized for the city i tested with. I like the idea of a T score better, along with the standardized grammar and reading test.

Jonathan Doe
07-09-2011, 4:04 PM
I took one of those tests. It was about 600 questions. Many of the are repeat questions or similar. I got tired of the questions, but I finished it. I was hired in 1986. Never took the polygraph test. Some of the applicants did. Maybe it was selective then.

BigDogatPlay
07-09-2011, 4:32 PM
Some agencies selectively polygraph, in part based on an investigator's results from working the background packet. Other agencies, still, polygraph everyone that gets to the background phase. Some don't polygraph at all.

crashbubba
07-09-2011, 7:49 PM
I took one of those tests. It was about 600 questions. Many of the are repeat questions or similar. I got tired of the questions, but I finished it. I was hired in 1986. Never took the polygraph test. Some of the applicants did. Maybe it was selective then.

Sounds like the old MMPI "long form" test. That thing was grueling. The newer biodata tests are a lot shorter and more situational based mulitple answer type questions vs the true/false ones on the MMPI.

Notorious
07-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I liked the 1,093 question MMPI 2. I got nothing else going on in my life anyway so why not spend 6 hours taking these tests?