PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker Signs Historic Right-to-Carry Legislation Into Law

safewaysecurity
07-08-2011, 3:04 PM
http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=15305

Fairfax, VA. – Today, National Rifle Association (NRA) Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre and the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action Executive Director Chris W. Cox joined Governor Scott Walker as he signed the Wisconsin Personal Protection Act into law. This makes Wisconsin the 49th state to give law-abiding citizens an option to carry a concealed firearm for personal protection.

“For everyday crime victims, Right-to-Carry is the difference between no chance and a fighting chance. That is why the NRA's commitment to freedom, the Second Amendment and the self-defense rights of good people everywhere never wavers,” said LaPierre. “Today's signing ceremony is proof of the value of the hard work, dedication and perseverance of NRA members in Wisconsin.”

“This is an historic day for the Right-to-Carry effort not only in Wisconsin, but across the country,” said Cox. “The fundamental, individual, God-given right to self-defense must be respected. I’d like to thank Senators Galloway and Zipperer, Reps. Mursau and Suder and Gov. Walker for their dedication to freedom.”

“By signing concealed carry into law today, we are making Wisconsin safer for all responsible, law abiding citizens,” said Gov. Walker.

“I would like to thank the NRA for all their hard work over the past 10 years—they never gave up the fight for Wisconsinites to defend themselves,” said Sen. Pam Galloway. “While we were both disappointed that Constitutional Carry did not have the necessary support in the legislature to pass this year, we know that SB 93 represents one of the most freedom-oriented licensing laws in the entire country and it’s a tremendous first step toward our ultimate goal of adopting Constitutional Carry in the Badger State. I look forward to continuing this battle alongside the proud members of NRA.”

Both chambers of the Wisconsin legislature voted to approve one of the nation’s strongest Right-to-Carry bills by solid bipartisan margins. Today’s signing of the Wisconsin Personal Protection Act into law leaves Illinois as the only state that provides no way for its citizens to carry firearms for self-protection outside their homes or places of business.

boxbro
07-08-2011, 3:18 PM
http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=15305

Illinois will hopefully get some more smackdown soon.

MudCamper
07-08-2011, 3:19 PM
But is it a shall-issue system?

And will they have reciprocity with other states?

Andy Taylor
07-08-2011, 3:21 PM
It is shall issue. Don't know about reciprocity, or if non resident permits are available.

thai562
07-08-2011, 3:21 PM
I LOVE THAT MAN!
It is wrong for a man to love another man? Not in this case.
Chris Christie too.

safewaysecurity
07-08-2011, 3:25 PM
But is it a shall-issue system?

And will they have reciprocity with other states?

Absolutely shall issue. They were going to go constitutional carry but w/e.

RobG
07-08-2011, 3:26 PM
Nice to see some states getting it right. Every time something positive happens in another state, it makes Kalifornia that much more F'd up.:mad:

dustoff31
07-08-2011, 5:19 PM
The details are available here.

http://wisconsinconcealedcarry.com/index.html

Didn't see anything about non-resident permits being issued.

There will be reciprocity/recognition of OOS permits. However, it appears to only cover only those with a CCW from their home state.

People with permits from other states could carry concealed weapons in Wisconsin as long as they had gone through training and a background check in their home state.

Now, this is interesting.

Private businesses could post signs to keep guns out of their buildings. Signs could also be posted in government buildings, such as city halls and the state Capitol. But guns could not be banned from government-owned grounds, meaning they could be carried on the Capitol lawn or the Milwaukee Public Zoo.

But under the bill, private individuals and groups that allow concealed carry on their property would have blanket immunity from any legal liability from that decision. Groups and individuals who post signs prohibiting concealed weapons would not receive that immunity.

Blackhawk556
07-08-2011, 5:55 PM
WOW....******"But under the bill, private individuals and groups that allow concealed carry on their property would have blanket immunity from any legal liability from that decision. Groups and individuals who post signs prohibiting concealed weapons would not receive that immunity.".....I guess their way of thinking is, if you don't want people with guns on your property fine. But if they get harmed because they couldn't protect themselves you are responsible because you didn't provide adequate protection for them. Do I have this right ????????

Brown Rock
07-08-2011, 6:13 PM
Lucky bastards.

dustoff31
07-08-2011, 6:19 PM
WOW....******"But under the bill, private individuals and groups that allow concealed carry on their property would have blanket immunity from any legal liability from that decision. Groups and individuals who post signs prohibiting concealed weapons would not receive that immunity.".....I guess their way of thinking is, if you don't want people with guns on your property fine. But if they get harmed because they couldn't protect themselves you are responsible because you didn't provide adequate protection for them. Do I have this right ????????

That's my take on it.

But by the same token, on a non-posted property, say someone sees your gun, thinks you might be a bad guy and shoots you, or the place gets held up and you get shot. That owner has no liability either.

Window_Seat
07-08-2011, 7:16 PM
The one thing that troubles me about these newly passed CCW measures is that these Legislatures don't include provisions prohibiting newspapers and other media publications/editors from publishing the personal information (like home addresses) of CCW licensees. I believe it happened in Iowa, and the Oregon Legislature tried to put a stop to it, but that measure was unsuccessful.

Erik.

Dreaded Claymore
07-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Eventually, shall-issue CCW will come to Illinois. Eventually, maybe even to California.

Window_Seat
07-09-2011, 9:15 AM
I'm looking to find out when this takes effect, and reading here & there that the law goes into effect on the 1st day of the 4th month after the "date of publication". Apparently this has not been officially published, or has it?

Anyone here familiar with the WI Legislature?

Erik.

Liberty1
07-09-2011, 9:57 AM
The bill also removes the prohibition against open carry in a vehicle.

Gryff
07-09-2011, 11:54 AM
I never understood how a predominantly agricultural state like Wisconsin had a no-issue policy. I know that there are liberal sections, but it didn't seem like they were big enough to have a strangle-hold like Chicago does on Illinois.

stag6.8
07-09-2011, 1:28 PM
I never understood how a predominantly agricultural state like Wisconsin had a no-issue policy. I know that there are liberal sections, but it didn't seem like they were big enough to have a strangle-hold like Chicago does on Illinois.

Blame the ex-Governor jim doyle...wisconsin`s senate and house brought ccw up to him and he vetoed it...so they basically waited for that jerk to leave office...I believe he was termed out...scott walker came in and signed it...this is one of the reasons why the brady bunch had so much power....and now thier falling apart.

Gryff
07-09-2011, 1:36 PM
Blame the ex-Governor jim doyle...wisconsin`s senate and house brought ccw up to him and he vetoed it...so they basically waited for that jerk to leave office...I believe he was termed out...scott walker came in and signed it...this is one of the reasons why the brady bunch had so much power....and now thier falling apart.

Doyle didn't correct the problem. But I'm wondering how the problem came to be in the first place. I don't think it was Doyle that instituted the no-issue policy originally.

stag6.8
07-09-2011, 1:58 PM
I understand your question...what brought this garbage on to begin with....but as long as it`s shall issue now...and things are put to rest....thats all that matters

safewaysecurity
07-09-2011, 2:01 PM
It goes into effect in November.

Skidmark
07-09-2011, 2:03 PM
The first good thing Walker has done as governor.

This is outstanding great news for Wisconsin, and lends support to every effort to liberalize CCW permitting.

FirstFlight
07-09-2011, 2:41 PM
It appears that Republican is the key word here. If all the gun owners in Cali voted for Republicans across the board....maybe we could have Shall Issue! OK....OK I know I am a dreamer!

Gryff
07-09-2011, 3:16 PM
I understand your question...what brought this garbage on to begin with....but as long as it`s shall issue now...and things are put to rest....thats all that matters

I understand what you are saying, but I think it's always important to know how anti-gun policies and legislation were allowed to come to be. As Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

CalNRA
07-09-2011, 6:32 PM
It appears that Republican is the key word here. If all the gun owners in Cali voted for Republicans across the board....maybe we could have Shall Issue! OK....OK I know I am a dreamer!

Walker's predecessor, Jim Doyle(D), vetoed such bills not once, but twice

CalNRA
07-09-2011, 6:33 PM
The first good thing Walker has done as governor.

Talk about trolling for responses and try to hijack the thread...

762.DEFENSE
07-09-2011, 7:19 PM
:clap:

hill billy
07-09-2011, 8:38 PM

While I largely agree with you, Meg Whitman would have been no picnic.

Cali-Shooter
07-09-2011, 9:27 PM
Wisconsin. It's looking better and better every day. *Big Thumbs Up*

rjh4758
07-09-2011, 9:54 PM
Nice to see some states getting it right. Every time something positive happens in another state, it makes Kalifornia that much more F'd up.:mad:

Actually the more states that go Shall issue, it just shows the misinformation that politicians have been feeding us are false. It helps those that are working on getting things changed here in CA as well. Any pro-second amendment changes in other states will in time help CA citizens get their rights back.

microwaveguy
07-10-2011, 9:36 AM

Well being a realist I don't think we are going to have a republican majority in my lifetime :mad:

Folks are starting to look at the bill and there is discussion that online train maybe all that is required.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/10/web-training-may-suffice-for-wisconsin-concealed-carry/

FirstFlight
07-10-2011, 3:16 PM
Well being a realist I don't think we are going to have a republican majority in my lifetime :mad:

Folks are starting to look at the bill and there is discussion that online train maybe all that is required.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/10/web-training-may-suffice-for-wisconsin-concealed-carry/

I don't think I will see a republican majority either. Another problem is no two gun guys in Cali can agree on anything. I think my only hope of seeing Cali as a shall issue state is if the CGF is able to change the thinking of all the Sheriffs in the state. We have about half of them. Support the CGF...thats our only hope!

stag1500
07-10-2011, 4:03 PM
I don't think I will see a republican majority either. Another problem is no two gun guys in Cali can agree on anything. I think my only hope of seeing Cali as a shall issue state is if the CGF is able to change the thinking of all the Sheriffs in the state. We have about half of them. Support the CGF...thats our only hope!

CA will be a Shall-Issue state when SCOTUS rules that the 2nd Amendment protects an individual's right to carry a functional firearm outside the home. That being said, everybody here should be supporting CGF, 2nd Amendment Foundation, CRPA, etc....

ccmc
07-11-2011, 6:57 AM

Couldn't be. Some people here have told me in California it's the democrats who are pro 2A while the republicans are anti. OK I'm exagerating a bit, but when I compared the CA counties that went for Boxer in 2010 to the list of counties that were no issue according to the map that's shown here a lot, the correlation was pretty close. I was told the map isn't a good indicator of counties' ccw permitting processes. I don't believe California is that much different than the rest of the country when it comes to party politics and RKBA, but I only know that from anecdotal experience. How long have democrats controlled the California legislature?

ccmc
07-11-2011, 6:59 AM
It is shall issue. Don't know about reciprocity, or if non resident permits are available.

From what I've heard non-resident permits will not be available, but WI will recognize resident permits from all states that recognize theirs. No confirmation on that though.

stag6.8
07-11-2011, 10:22 AM
CA will be a Shall-Issue state when SCOTUS rules that the 2nd Amendment protects an individual's right to carry a functional firearm outside the home. That being said, everybody here should be supporting CGF, 2nd Amendment Foundation, CRPA, etc....

Sir, you hit the nail right on the head(The right to bear arms beyond the home).....BTW...thats why we need SB610 to get to the governors desk and signed...It could very well get approved at the 9th circuit...slim chance...but we will see

Newbius
07-11-2011, 10:35 AM
...How long have *the unions, specifically SEIU*, controlled the California legislature? FIFY

Nothing gets approved in California unless SEIU approves of it. This has been true since Willie Brown controlled the Speaker's gavel.

Paladin
07-11-2011, 1:11 PM
http://www.nraila.org/maps/rtc.jpg

CCWFacts
07-11-2011, 1:23 PM
And Illinois would also be green right now if 1,500 more gun owners there had voted in the last general election...

If you're a gun owner, VOTE on November 8. If you're not a gun owner, vote on November 9!

ccmc
07-11-2011, 1:52 PM
And Illinois would also be green right now if 1,500 more gun owners there had voted in the last general election...

If that had happened 1501 more dead people would have voted in Chicago :)

junker87
07-11-2011, 2:09 PM
I sometimes dream that Scott Walker is our president.

Just imagine the possibilities.