PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a shooting range

Ziggy91
07-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Hey everybody,

I just got my hands on a brand new Remington 870 HD, it's my first gun so i've been bouncing off the walls for a few days :D

The other day, my buddy gave me about 30 shells just to have some fun with my new toy. Unfortunately he gave me a bunch of slugs and magnum rounds that are prohibitted from my local shooting range.

So here's my question... where can I safely and legally discharge my shotgun around my area with whatever ammunition I have available?

*BTW This is my first post so i'm sorry if this is in the wrong section...

aippi
07-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Go get a box of #7 1/2 or #8 target loads and get used to the weapon. You have to break it in and target loads are best for that. since this is your first shotgun get used to the lighter recoil of the target loads before you start blasting away with those slugs and buck shot. So get the target loads and go to you local shooting range while waiting for the local guys to post in with information on the other ranges you want.

BigDogatPlay
07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
^^^Some good advice^^^

Welcome to Calguns!!!! I believe United Sportsmen in Concord will let you shoot buck and slug. Give them a call at 925-676-1963. I'm sure someone who shoots there regularly will chime in here as well.

You could also call Chabot, 510-569-0213. They do 3 gun and similar matches there, so there's probably some leeway for slugs and / or buck.

Ziggy91
07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
OK thanks... I was planning on checking my patterns soon, but I just wanted to know where I can go with these heavy hitters.

Sicarius
07-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Also give richmond rod and gun a call. Once you are done shooting what you have, head over to the skeet/trap range and have even more fun. You can buy the necessary steel shot w/bio wads at the trap house. Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Kevin

JagerDog
07-08-2011, 2:49 PM
The Livermore range won't allow buck/slugs even though they have a rifle range?

I'm pretty sure Santa Clara County field Sports Park allows buck/slugs on the rifle side. And yes...I realize that's not real convenient for you.

PANTyRAiD
07-08-2011, 2:58 PM
I say you keep the slugs and buck for home defense. You never know when you could need rounds like that, and 30 is not all that many.

A box of 100 target shells costs around 20 bucks from walmart. Thats what you should practice with. Maybe shoot 5-10 of the high powered stuff just so you can get a feel for it, and save the rest.

prc77
07-08-2011, 3:51 PM
Come out to Richmond Rod & Gun. I will be there from 9:30 - 1:30. Shotguns are GTG, slugs & 00 buck are GTG, rapid fire GTG. Plate rack to shoot at with birdshot. Bring a couple 100 rounds they go fast.

daybreak
07-09-2011, 9:29 AM
The Livermore range won't allow buck/slugs even though they have a rifle range?

I'm pretty sure Santa Clara County field Sports Park allows buck/slugs on the rifle side. And yes...I realize that's not real convenient for you.

Unless it's changed in the last 2 months, you can shoot slugs at the rifle range at livermore.

Ziggy91
07-09-2011, 1:27 PM
Unless it's changed in the last 2 months, you can shoot slugs at the rifle range at livermore.

I'm not 100% on that, but now that I think of it I haven't officially seen anything that says I can't use slugs. I'll give em a call and see, but I've been told by friends that it's rifle and pistol only at the top of the hill.

Tunis
07-09-2011, 2:47 PM
Los Altos Rod & Gun club allows slugs on the Rifle Range (50yd & 100yd). They also allow target, slugs and buck on their Tin Can Ranges (40yd & 100yd).

Skidmark
07-10-2011, 8:01 PM
Come out to Richmond Rod & Gun. I will be there from 9:30 - 1:30. Shotguns are GTG, slugs & 00 buck are GTG, rapid fire GTG. Plate rack to shoot at with birdshot. Bring a couple 100 rounds they go fast.

EFZ. Is there anything you can't fire on the 25-yard range? A great range... a good club... and a picturesque location!

Well, maybe not that last, but two out of three ain't bad...

greybeard
07-10-2011, 8:06 PM
If you want to shoot indoors and 25 yard max, Reeds in Santa Clara allows slugs and buck.

prc77
07-10-2011, 8:20 PM
EFZ. Is there anything you can't fire on the 25-yard range? A great range... a good club... and a picturesque location!

Well, maybe not that last, but two out of three ain't bad...

I have never been to the 25 yard range. I ALWAYS go to the action shooting bays. Targets & tape are supplied, plate rack, work out of a holster, very few cease fires, rapid fire. Long guns are cool too. Just don't shoot the the steel targets with your rifle. That will get you tossed out for sure All for $10

I have not seen any big bore pistol there.