PDA

View Full Version : Any Palm Springs LEO's Here?

TBDesigns
07-08-2011, 10:29 AM
I just applied for a Position with the PSPD and was curious.

verapakill
07-08-2011, 10:35 AM
I know that they are on cops a lot lol. They have a lot of events in the city to deal with. The heat takes a while to get use to. The over all area is really good but north palm springs is the crappy area with crime and drugs. There's a lot traffic accidents out there and a lot of alcohol influenced calls to deal with. Good department in my opinion.

Heiko
07-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Great department! They are extremely selective and have very high standards. There was a recuriting for laterals several months ago and they washed out almost all the applicants, which is probably why they are doing this new one. They are not afraid to continue recruiting if they don't have good applicants and arent afraid to cut people during FTO time either. The department has an excellent reputation and wants to keep it that way. It is a busy city with lots of activity. People think it's a sleepy town but there have been quite a few OIS in the last few years. Palm Springs has it's share of dirtbags.

The new chief is excellent. He is well respected by the troops and is a no-nonsense cop. He has lots of political grenades to handle lately and has done well. Of course budget is always a priority for him but he's been good about trying to protect his guys. He got a grant last year and saved 5 positions. Hopefully the budget is getting better and future positions will be safe.

jaysen
07-13-2011, 8:24 PM
Great department! They are extremely selective and have very high standards. There was a recuriting for laterals several months ago and they washed out almost all the applicants, which is probably why they are doing this new one. They are not afraid to continue recruiting if they don't have good applicants and arent afraid to cut people during FTO time either. The department has an excellent reputation and wants to keep it that way. It is a busy city with lots of activity. People think it's a sleepy town but there have been quite a few OIS in the last few years. Palm Springs has it's share of dirtbags.

The new chief is excellent. He is well respected by the troops and is a no-nonsense cop. He has lots of political grenades to handle lately and has done well. Of course budget is always a priority for him but he's been good about trying to protect his guys. He got a grant last year and saved 5 positions. Hopefully the budget is getting better and future positions will be safe.

Heiko has summed it up pretty well, with one exception; the heat - try doing traffic control in 115-120 degree weather for 45+ min during high traffic times... No bueno. :eek::eek::eek:

Other than that, great group of guys/gals that work there, I've head the pleasure of training with some of them.

Depending on your taste, PS has a little of everything, and if you're into action take a trip up north or poach in Cathedral City/Desert Hot Springs. Further east you go, you'll hit Indio, Coachella, Thermal, etc... and you're looking at Big City crimes (daily rapes, shootings, burgs, home invasions, etc) in such a small package :)

yzernie
07-13-2011, 11:14 PM
They are extremely selective and have very high standards.
Apparently misjudged this one!!! I say that tongue-in-cheek. Dominguez and I went to the same academy class.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/01/05/palm-springs-chief-resigns-after-apologizing-for-anti-gay-remarks/

Heiko
07-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Apparently misjudged this one!!! I say that tongue-in-cheek. Dominguez and I went to the same academy class.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/01/05/palm-springs-chief-resigns-after-apologizing-for-anti-gay-remarks/

No kidding! I blame that one the city council and city manager. I think they wanted a big department guy with a certain demographic appeal and made a bad pick. He was not liked at RPD and that was also true at PSPD. Good thing he's gone and the new chief is a great pick.

That whole scandal was blown out of proportion (no pun intended). Dominguez made it so much worse.

yzernie
07-17-2011, 11:07 AM
I liked working with him back in the early 80's when we were working patrol together. Then, as happens on bigger depts, we transferred to different locations and I rarely saw him any more. Hadn't seen him in years when I found out he had gotten hired by Riverside PD. Never even knew he was at Palm Springs until I saw one of our academy mates at training.

I'm wondering if he will be at my retirement shin-dig in a few months.