PDA

View Full Version : Moving back to CA from AZ witha fe new guns and got some ??S

ac398
07-08-2011, 7:41 AM
Like the title says Im moving back to CA in 2 months, actually probably only going to live in CA w/ my parents for about 6-8 months temporarily till my wife gets permanently stationed by the army. While in AZ I picked myself up a Springfield XDM 3.8 .40 w/ a 16 round clip (I dont think the gun is a "banned gun" like an AK just not legal for sale in CA since it doesnt accept 10 round mags, not sure if theres a technical difference there, I cant see my XDm being in the same legal class as an AK). I know If I come to CA to visit and bring my gun with me I can just dissasemble the clip and be legal. But Im under the impression I have to register my handguns in CA within 60 days of moving there. Will they allow me to register that firearm in CA??

Also not too sure how it works but do I have to claim CA residence If Im only temporarily residing in CA at my parents residence, can i keep permanent az residence but I wont have any physical address left in AZ so not sure If I can do this.

If all else fails Ill buy a safe deposit box at a bank and store it there- no law here against taking your gun into a bank. But thats a real pain in the ***** whenever we have to move I have to make a pit stop in AZ first.

Overall, I just hate the idea of having to register my gun, buying my gun here took all of 5 minutes before I put it on my hip at the gun show and went looking for ammo.

ac398
07-08-2011, 7:43 AM
Also is there any loophole if i keep my gun in a storage unit, since Ill be getting a storage unit in CA I can just put my gun in there with clip disassembled and it would never be in my possession.

CHS
07-08-2011, 8:03 AM
You must register the gun within 60 days of moving here regardless of temporary residency status or whether or not the gun is in a storage unit.

The only time you wouldn't have to register is if you leave the gun in AZ.

The XDM is not illegal in CA. Period. The DOJ won't have any issues registering it for you.

The 16rd magazine is a felony to bring into CA. Leave it in AZ or bring it, in pieces, into CA. DO NOT ASSEMBLE IT BACK TOGETHER IN CA. That's also a felony.

Find some 10rd mags and you can actually shoot the thing here.

ccmc
07-08-2011, 8:14 AM
The XDM is not illegal in CA. Period. The DOJ won't have any issues registering it for you.

The 16rd magazine is a felony to bring into CA. Leave it in AZ or bring it, in pieces, into CA. DO NOT ASSEMBLE IT BACK TOGETHER IN CA. That's also a felony.

Find some 10rd mags and you can actually shoot the thing here.

That may not be so easy. AFAIK the XDm .40 mags aren't interchangeable with XD .40 mags, at least not for the full size XDms. Maybe the 3.8 is different. Somebody here posted that XD .45 mags are interechangeable with XDm .45 mags. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do remember a review of the XDm .40 in Guns & Ammo when it first came out (prior to winning NRA handgun of the year in 2009) where they mentioned the mags were not interchangeable.

ac398
07-08-2011, 8:14 AM
Ok well good to know on the 60 days and my plan is to have the 16 rd mag disassembled the whole time in CA.
But
I know you cannot buy an XDm anywhere in CA. The whole XDM line is high capacity. The only reason it is illegal for sale in CA is because Springfield does not make a 10 round magazine for it- the regular springfield XD mags dont work.

So is it illegal to have in CA- Will the DOJ register it for me

CHS
07-08-2011, 8:20 AM
The only reason it is illegal for sale in CA is because Springfield does not make a 10 round magazine for it- the regular springfield XD mags dont work.

That's not true. The reason it's not for sale in CA is simply because Springfield has not submitted it for roster testing. I don't know if the XDm has a LCI or magazine disconnect, but if it doesn't then it CANT get on the roster even if they did make 10rd mags.

And large-capacity versions of on-roster guns are perfectly legal for FFL's with large-capacity magazine permits to import and sell (to people qualified to buy large-capacity magazines).

So the presence of large-capacity magazines has no bearing whatsoever on how or why it's not allowed to be sold in CA. It's purely a roster issue.

So is it illegal to have in CA- Will the DOJ register it for me

I already answered this. No, it's not illegal to have in CA. Yes, the DOJ will register it for you.

Alan Block
07-08-2011, 8:23 AM
accept only 10 rounds.

JaeFern
07-08-2011, 8:30 AM
It is legal to own as I own a few XDMs myself. No there aren't any 10rd magazines made but if you want to shoot it just block the magazines yourself. I will admit it made me sad to block my 19rd xdm magazine to only hold 10 rounds.

-Jae from my HTC EVO

glockwise2000
07-08-2011, 8:33 AM
Block the mag to accept only 10 rounds. Register within 60 days coming to Kali. Enjoy shooting it here.

I would suggest to buy more that are off-list in Kali, sell it when you leave this state and make more dough.

ac398
07-08-2011, 8:34 AM
No CCMC the mags for the xdm 3.8 and 4.5 are definitely not interchangeable with regular xd and springfield doesnt make xdm 10 round mags.

CHS not trying to argue or make it sound like I was second guessing you just wanted some clarification because by your first post I didnt think you were aware that there are no 10 round mags available for that particular springfield model and just wanted to make sure the DOJ would allow someone to register a gun that doesnt have any CA legal mags available for it. Sounds like Im good to go thks

ac398
07-08-2011, 8:36 AM
Ive thought about blocking one of my mags so I can shoot it, does it have to be a permanent block like a screw that would ruin the mag or can you use something more friendly like a spacer

stitchnicklas
07-08-2011, 8:40 AM
block the mags to 10rds,buy extra guns before coming here,sell for profit after you get here..

ac398
07-08-2011, 8:49 AM
Well then what are the off list guns that seem to be the most popular. No personal order requests please lol, not trying to make any straw purchases.

I have a hard time though seeing people pay more for an off list gun than what you just paid for it new. Because technically youd now be selling it used even if never fired.

Are you allowed to still buy guns in AZ if I keep my drivers license in AZ while im in CA

Decoligny
07-08-2011, 9:00 AM
Ive thought about blocking one of my mags so I can shoot it, does it have to be a permanent block like a screw that would ruin the mag or can you use something more friendly like a spacer

It has to be permanently modified. Most people either rivet them in or use an epoxy. I have seen mags for this gun as low as $20.00 each, so you won't be out a whole lot by modifying a mag or two.

stitchnicklas
07-08-2011, 9:50 AM
Well then what are the off list guns that seem to be the most popular. No personal order requests please lol, not trying to make any straw purchases.

I have a hard time though seeing people pay more for an off list gun than what you just paid for it new. Because technically youd now be selling it used even if never fired.

Are you allowed to still buy guns in AZ if I keep my drivers license in AZ while im in CA

gen 4 glocks
keltec p30 22.mag
XDm's
some 1911's

i got a full safe myself,but some here would relish a slightly used off list gun.
once you give up your actually az address and are a temp/perm resident of california it is illegal to go back and buy guns to bring to california.

SixtyDashOne
07-08-2011, 10:17 AM
That's not true. The reason it's not for sale in CA is simply because Springfield has not submitted it for roster testing. I don't know if the XDm has a LCI or magazine disconnect, but if it doesn't then it CANT get on the roster even if they did make 10rd mags.

The XDM does have a LCI, but its LCI does not pass muster for California. CA wants to see actual text on the LCI itself, something along the lines of "loaded when up" or something to that effect. This is a Ruger with an LCI that would pass muster in CA.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ca9m9.jpg

That is very similar to the XDM's LCI, but the XDM doesn't have the text. Either way though, the XDM does not have a mag disconnect "safety" anyway.

GWbiker
07-08-2011, 3:20 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2ca9m9.jpg

Zonies call that the California Idiot indicator......:D

Quiet
07-08-2011, 6:01 PM
There are no 10 round magazines for the XDM-9 series and XDM-40 series.
HS Produkt and Springfield Armory have no intentions on ever producing a 10 round magazine for the XDM-9 series and XDM-40 series.

The XDM-45 uses the same magazines as the XD-45.
So, factory 10 round magazines are available for the XDM-45.

Follow the link for an excellent guide to modify a XDM-9/40 magazine into a permanent 10 round magazine.

http://www.vaportrails.us/html/xdm.html

jrodela06
07-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I'd buy an xdm 40. :-) good luck with your move.

hawk81
07-10-2011, 12:15 PM
You will regret it. I am trying to move to Arizona, the most gun friendly state in the US.