PDA

View Full Version : question concerning manufacturing of arms

ddestruel
07-07-2011, 10:47 PM
So i was recent up at a friends house in Oregon who is a manufacturer of arms for Commercial sale. hence he is regulated, has to be licensed to sell fire arms.

He informed me that a home built lower action like for an ar15 or an hk (as in made on my own milling machine and lathe) was illegal when built by a private citizen without a license and sn, obviously something i've heard as its been around for awhile and understood according to the current regulatory system before he told me. But in our discussion we dove down into the theroertical conversation about if i manufacture my own lower action, purchase all other parts and assemble a firearm that is not for commercial sale but for my own hunting or otherwise purposes isnt the licensing of a fundamental right something that down the road could be challenged on this level, in regards to restricting a private citizens access. for that matter why couldnt it be challenged that buying an unassembled lower constitutes parts and doesnt necessitate a sn, like a kit car if it never hits the road doesnt require a vin. I dont have to register my typewriter nor does a book manufacturer have to register thier printing press. for commercial purposes the fed could put in place under the ICC a ;licensing system for sale but for personal use could it be theroretically challenged ? On some level its seems that the ability to manufacture your own or assemble beyond what is currently allowed would be part of the core right. It'll be interesting if a challenge is ever brought

nick
07-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Wait, homebuilt actions are illegal now? :)

You can build your own guns, as long as they're otherwise legal for you to possess, and as long as you're not building them for sale.

m24armorer
07-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Maybe in Oregon.....

This issue has already been around for a long time.

nick
07-07-2011, 11:37 PM
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html#commercial-parts-assembly

http://www.ar15plus.com/faq.asp#23

ddestruel
07-08-2011, 7:36 AM
Maybe in Oregon.....

This issue has already been around for a long time.

It just seems that after reading Ezell v Chicago, the recent video game ruling against Ca and several other cases that as things evolve there might at some point be an avenue to shave off part of the mfg process when done at home as part of the core right. hence my question which might be poorly written. In previous discussions we were pre Mcdonald, pre alot of things

ddestruel
07-08-2011, 8:45 AM
I'm going to abandon this thread, Don kilmer last night and several other guys in the Ezell vs Chicago thread just touched on this and now are discussing

nick
07-08-2011, 9:09 AM
Once again, it is perfectly legal to build a firearm (including the receiver/frame/whatever is considered firearm for that particular model) for your personal use, as long as it's legal for you to possess. And it says so on the ATFF site, among other things, check out the first link I posted above.