PDA

View Full Version : Do all CCW holders have to get a $1 million liability insurance?

vincnet11
07-07-2011, 3:32 PM
That what i've heard.

wildhawker
07-07-2011, 3:36 PM
That what i've heard.

No, and rumors are hardly a quality source for firearms-related legal info.

IGOTDIRT4U
07-07-2011, 3:37 PM
That would be an illegal policy for a department to require.

Glock22Fan
07-07-2011, 3:38 PM
There's only a couple of counties that insist on these, and general informed opinion is that such demands are not legally sustainable (but a fight might be needed to get them voided).

Expect in time that these requirements will be dropped in all California counties.

ojisan
07-07-2011, 3:39 PM
It's in there under the new SF CCW requirements.
See the other thread on this and look at all the (endless) requirements.

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/SanFrancisco.pdf

aklover_91
07-07-2011, 3:40 PM
I know they do here in Alameda, or I might have applied already.

No way I could afford to carry something like that, unfortunately, and legal or not that's how the issue currently stands.

hoffmang
07-07-2011, 3:43 PM
It's an illegal standard, but $1M in personal liability insurance should only cost like $500 a year on top of your rental or homeowners policy.

-Gene

bill_k_lopez
07-07-2011, 3:44 PM
I know they do here in Alameda, or I might have applied already.

No way I could afford to carry something like that, unfortunately, and legal or not that's how the issue currently stands.

We just took out a 1 million dollar umbrella policy through our insurance for an extra $36 dollars a month.

You should check what it costs - its cheaper than you think.

IGOTDIRT4U
07-07-2011, 3:49 PM
It's an illegal standard, but $1M in personal liability insurance should only cost like $500 a year on top of your rental or homeowners policy.

-Gene

And it's not a bad idea to have. Usually you can get that and more coverage under an umbrella policy. Having 1-2 mil on hand with such a policy is not a bad idea, especially if you own a home or business.

Tripper
07-07-2011, 3:52 PM
Is there any exclusions for gun related accidents on the umbrella policies

IGOTDIRT4U
07-07-2011, 4:03 PM
Is there any exclusions for gun related accidents on the umbrella policies

1st degree murder? Piss drunk and shoot yourself?

A self defense shooting, they will/may provide defense representation for you. Check policy terms, but it is pretty much standard.

aklover_91
07-07-2011, 4:06 PM

-Gene

The fact of the matter is I'm 20, I'm still at home, I work part time and pick up odd jobs here and there, and carry as many of my own expenses as I can. I should be hearing aback about a full time job here in a few weeks, and so with any luck I'll be on my own soon, but as it stands I do not have the money for it and I will not ask anyone to cover the expense for me. In effect, as an individual, I am nearly completely broke at all times.

Even if this job pans out my good cause is based on certain conditions that have been becoming more apparent downtown here lately, and it would remove me from them. As near as I can tell, that would torpedo my chances, and I feel like not being that magic age of 21 will count as a hit against me.

It's a ****ty thing but it is what it is. Just wish my right was treated as a right and not a privilege.

Kid Stanislaus
07-07-2011, 4:29 PM
A self defense shooting, they will/may provide defense representation for you. Check policy terms, but it is pretty much standard.

If they DO provide defense representation in an SD shooting you can bet their primary interest will be in protecting the assets of the insurance company and the policy holder will get thrown under the bus at the first opportunity. ;)

IGOTDIRT4U
07-07-2011, 4:33 PM
If they DO provide defense representation in an SD shooting you can bet their primary interest will be in protecting the assets of the insurance company and the policy holder will get thrown under the bus at the first opportunity. ;)

Nope. Their attorneys cannot commit malpractice, and a recourse is first party bad faith litigation. Can it happen? Yes. Will any well rated major carrier do such a thing? Not likely.

Tip: Don't get a policy with "Lou's Fast Food and Umbrella Policies Co."

wildhawker
07-07-2011, 4:53 PM
Nope. Their attorneys cannot commit malpractice, and a recourse is first party bad faith litigation. Can it happen? Yes. Will any well rated major carrier do such a thing? Not likely.

Tip: Don't get a policy with "Lou's Fast Food and Umbrella Policies Co."

Quoting because people should read it twice.

Tripper
07-07-2011, 4:58 PM
i'm all good then, mines with Chicos Plumbing & Umbrella Policies

HowardW56
07-07-2011, 5:01 PM
i'm all good then, mines with Chicos Plumbing & Umbrella Policies

:eek:

warbird
07-07-2011, 6:24 PM
until someone pays to file the lawsuit they will push it and then back off. What we don't want to do is give the legislature ideas for any more screwy laws to pass involving our second amendment rights. More people are killed by cars every day in accidents than in accidental shootings so why is a CCW required (in certain counties) to now be required to carry so much more insurance. When talking about gun killings those done deliberately are not accidental and therefore cannot counted when comparing accidental car deaths against accidental gun deaths. That defuses the argument for mandatory gun insurance.

sholling
07-07-2011, 6:31 PM

-Gene
Or less. I pay $140/yr for a $1M umbrella policy.

wilit
07-07-2011, 7:05 PM
I started this thread a long time ago asking the same thing. There's some good responses in there.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=70309&highlight=insurance

FatCity67
07-07-2011, 7:11 PM
3 million only costs me around 200 a year on top of my Auto, Home and Life plans through Amica. Need to have minimum 300,000 minimum liability on the autos for that kind of coverage though.

Wrangler John
07-07-2011, 7:20 PM

-Gene

Wife and I recently upped our liability insurance to $5 million, for about that amount.

When I worked for San Mateo County, all vendors and contractors I wrote contracts with had to supply a Certificate of Insurance for $ 1million liability naming the County as additionally insured. No big deal for commercial firms, but is this what they were demanding of CCW applicants? Seems excessive.

wildhawker
07-07-2011, 7:24 PM
As a side note, [presuming it passes and goes into effect] SB 610 will (re) kill the requirement for liability insurance. However, I do believe having it [insurance] to be a prudent risk management decision.

jamesob
07-07-2011, 8:15 PM
I don't have policy at all exept home and auto.

danno02
07-07-2011, 10:01 PM
If that's true, then do all Americans have to buy health care?

j-rod
07-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Can't we just provide proof we donate to CGF? :D

Falconis
07-07-2011, 10:56 PM
I am just reiterating what everyone else here said. It is not a bad idea to get some sort of policy to cover yourself. Even if you are completely in the right, count on someone suing you for the most outrageous thing. Legal bills do add up fairly fast and I am confident very few of us have that money sitting in our savings accounts.

Most lawyers charge anywhere from 250 to 700 an hour (averaging) and request a 5 to 15k retainer fee to be paid up front. Calculate from there.