PDA

View Full Version : San Juan Cap Open carry in City Parks

socalphoto
07-06-2011, 4:35 PM
Just wanted to share an article proposing OC in San Juan Cap city parks. Councilman Derek Reeve is heading it. Interesting read.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/city-307268-guns-gun.html

AVS
07-06-2011, 4:58 PM
I've heard Derek Reeve speak in the past. He strikes me as a good constitutionalist who follows what the laws say instead of basing his decisions on personal emotions.

He has my vote.

Southwest Chuck
07-06-2011, 6:53 PM
Check out the comments section. I think it needs a little Calguns attention.

CitaDeL
07-06-2011, 8:34 PM
Check out the comments section. I think it needs a little Calguns attention.

Would that be the "I'm-so-glad-that-open-carry-is-going-to be-banned-so-we-get-CCWs" kind of attention... Or is it the "I'm-glad-there-is-a-California-politician-who-supports-the-2nd-amendment" kind of attention?

I pray we can muster enough of the latter to offset the former... as well as the handwringers.

AVS
07-07-2011, 3:25 PM
If this city law were to stay in effect could a resident of SJC potentially serve as a test bed for acquiring a CCW due to the banning of UOC?

SteveH
07-07-2011, 7:32 PM
SJC is an interesting city to me. They are a relatively wealthy city with a few very bad areas (Los Rios & La Zanja, the carolina's, the villas and a couple trailer parks).

For a wealthy city their police services is understaffed and underfunded. They have one established latino criminal street gang (VVSJC aka "varrio viejo"). Additionally they are at a cross roads for IE criminals travelling to coastal beach cities. So they get their fair share of crooks from the IE, LA and north county visiting or travelling through.

From the OC Register i see they had a fatal attempt robbery a couple weeks ago involving a robbery crew from LA(?). A gang shooting last week and a bank robbery a couple days ago.

If I lived or worked in SJC I would certainly want the ability to carry a firearm to defend myself. I'm not sure this proposed repeal is anything but symbolic though? SJC city parks have pretty much been taken over by day laborers and street gang members.

The city seems unwilling to spend the money to hire more cops and in fact has a retention problem with good cops. They don't even have a K-9 officer anymore AFAIK.

proclone1
07-07-2011, 7:38 PM
I'm almost positive they contract out to OC Sheriff's department. Is OCF basically ala carte pay-per-cop??

Gangs are so useless : (

Edit: I remember the jewelry store robbery, although I didn't know they were a robber crew from LA. Sadly, I saw on a friend's facebook a couple postings from his friend talking about the "Double Murder" inconjunction with the robbery, IE he was calling the self-defense actions of the jeweler, as homicide. Hopefully it was some inside joke that I was just missing, but it really seemed like the guy had some perverse Robin Hood mentally about him about "us poor against everyone else".

SJC is an interesting city to me. They are a relatively wealthy city with a few very bad areas (Los Rios & La Zanja, the carolina's, the villas and a couple trailer parks).

For a wealthy city their police services is understaffed and underfunded. They have one established latino criminal street gang (VVSJC aka "varrio viejo"). Additionally they are at a cross roads for IE criminals travelling to coastal beach cities. So they get their fair share of crooks from the IE, LA and north county visiting or travelling through.

From the OC Register i see they had a fatal attempt robbery a couple weeks ago involving a robbery crew from LA(?). A gang shooting last week and a bank robbery a couple days ago.

If I lived or worked in SJC I would certainly want the ability to carry a firearm to defend myself. I'm not sure this proposed repeal is anything but symbolic though? SJC city parks have pretty much been taken over by day laborers and street gang members.

The city seems unwilling to spend the money to hire more cops and in fact has a retention problem with good cops. They don't even have a K-9 officer anymore AFAIK.

SteveH
07-08-2011, 9:27 AM
Yes, SJC contracts with OCSD for police services. The city selects a OCSD Lt to be the police chief and they decided how many Deputies, investigators and Sgt's they want to pay for to staff their "department." if thats wahat you mean by "a-la-cart"

Andy Taylor
07-08-2011, 2:30 PM
"I don't know that carrying an unloaded firearm protects anyone. If someone comes up to you and wants to rob you and puts a gun to your chest, I don't understand how an unloaded firearm protects you,"

I have to agree with the mayor on this point. But lifting the ban on guns in the park is a stepping stone.

Army
07-08-2011, 6:02 PM
"I don't know that carrying an unloaded firearm protects anyone. If someone comes up to you and wants to rob you and puts a gun to your chest, I don't understand how an unloaded firearm protects you,"

I have to agree with the mayor on this point. But lifting the ban on guns in the park is a stepping stone.
Yet in your sig line, you agree with Adams saying we need ''...to defend them in the best manner they can”. If you cannot get a permission slip from the sheriff, and you area denies you that ability to have a loaded gun available...

...UOC is the ''best manner we can''

We carry with the awareness that it is unloaded, and conduct ourselves accordingly.

1BigPea
07-08-2011, 7:38 PM
A couple years ago my brand new Yukon was broken into in SJC, the main area off PCH is getting a bit sketchy...