View Full Version : New Remington 870 - First Shot Prep

07-06-2011, 1:04 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and just purchased a Remington 870 HD (Synthetic furniture, extended mag and 18inch barrel). I'm decently experienced with hand guns but I have no shotgun ownership experience.

I'm picking it up on the 11th and I want to take it to the range that same day. I've been reading that you should clean off the preservative grease from it before you take it out shooting for the first time. My main question is: Do i need to do a complete tear down and clean everything, or can I just clean the barrel and receiver? Does anyone have tips for my first time taking it to the range?

More details: It'll be an outdoor range (burro canyon outside of Los Angeles). I've purchased 100 rounds of Federal 7 1/2 game rounds and 20 rounds of 00 Buck low recoil from Fiocchi. I'm going to make another trip to turners to get more ammo so any suggestions for ammo to try out would be helpful. Thanks!

07-06-2011, 1:29 PM
You should only clean out the chamber and bore break in. Go to www.aiptactical.com and click on the red link "Install and Cleaning" make a cleaning/polishing rod like described there and use it. The read how to reinstall the tube extension and follow that.

Before you hit the range read "Breaking in the 870" for some tips to getting this weapon smoothed out during break in. Round count will break it in and racking it will authority will ensure you get a weapon that cycles as slick as eel snot.

07-06-2011, 2:19 PM
Awesome resources. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the input.

07-06-2011, 3:11 PM
Welcome to CGN!!!

Your 870, with any reasonable amount of care, will shoot pretty much anything you care to run through it. The Federal bulk stuff from Wal-Mart will almost certainly run just fine and makes for good practice / plinking ammo. Unless you are truly recoil sensitive, the 15 packs of buckshot and / or slugs from Wal-Mart will very likely give you good service at home defense distances.

Enjoy your new gun.

07-06-2011, 4:10 PM
I just went to walmart and bought 100 rnds of cheap birdshot, took it to the range shot it all, brought it home and cleaned it out. :D

07-06-2011, 4:28 PM
HAHA good tip Sander. At least I know that is an option ;)

A buddy of mine just told me that he picked up his new 870 X from the store, shot 4 rounds of trap, and cleaned it out. It's been going strong for at least 2 years now. Although, I guess there's no harm in being safe and giving it a good cleaning ahead of time.