PDA

View Full Version : AK center support

jumbopanda
12-30-2006, 10:45 PM
I finished my first AK build and am working on my second, when I noticed something weird. On my first build, I drilled the center support hole the same size as the rivet, but according to numerous sources, the center support hole is quite a bit larger than the rivet (5mm, same size as trigger and hammer pin holes). I don't get it, why is this? And are the lower rails underneath also supposed to have the 5mm holes or are those holes supposed to match the diameter of the rivet?

JPglee1
12-30-2006, 10:50 PM
I finished my first AK build and am working on my second, when I noticed something weird. On my first build, I drilled the center support hole the same size as the rivet, but according to numerous sources, the center support hole is quite a bit larger than the rivet (5mm, same size as trigger and hammer pin holes). I don't get it, why is this? And are the lower rails underneath also supposed to have the 5mm holes or are those holes supposed to match the diameter of the rivet?

I have no idea, I usually use a piece of 1/4" or 5/16" cold rolled rod and plug weld it in there, no rivet...

Im sure someone will come along and let you know. I use a bigger rod cuz if the bolt/carrier aren't in the gun the hammer strikes the center support if you dry fire it. Bigger = less chance of bending.

J

jumbopanda
12-31-2006, 1:44 PM
Anyone? There has got to be a couple flat or blank AK builders out there...

JHC
12-31-2006, 2:51 PM
The hole should be the same size as the rivit or you'd never get the rivit to squish big enough to hold it all together. I've never seen the reference to making the holes 5mm before.

jumbopanda
12-31-2006, 3:11 PM
If you've ever worked with a bent blank or seen a bonded on template, they always say 5mm (or .200"). Gunsgutsandgod.com also says .200"

http://www.gunsgutsandgod.com/section%20two.htm

Hole diameters:

Right side Left side

Selector large .375" .200"

Selector small .200" None

Trigger .200" .276"

Hammer .200" .276"

Center support .200" .200"

Also, check out his AMD build photos.
http://www.gunsgutsandgod.com/AMD.htm

The center support hole is the same size as the FCG holes.

JHC
12-31-2006, 4:56 PM
I built on an AK builder flat and I discarded the instructions since they had more steps than I have attention. When I got to the point where I needed to install the center support I just took the long rivit and matched it to a drill bit, then I made the holes and hammered it all together, everything worked fine.

JHC
12-31-2006, 4:59 PM
The website you linked shows a screw build so he probably made the hole that large for a buttonhead screw rather than a rivit.

jumbopanda
12-31-2006, 7:48 PM
The website you linked shows a screw build so he probably made the hole that large for a buttonhead screw rather than a rivit.

Ah yes that is possible.

I built on an AK builder flat and I discarded the instructions since they had more steps than I have attention. When I got to the point where I needed to install the center support I just took the long rivit and matched it to a drill bit, then I made the holes and hammered it all together, everything worked fine.

That's what I did for my first build and it seems okay :)