PDA

View Full Version : family transfer for a lower?

SDS-Ruger
07-05-2011, 9:33 PM
I tired searching this but did not see it.

I know that a long guns do not need a dros for an inner family transfer to be legal. But does a lower need one? The reason I ask is because I know it is classed a little different than a long gun because you have to be 21 to buy a lower.
Just trying to stay legal.

SDS-Ruger
07-06-2011, 11:25 AM
anyone?

CHS
07-06-2011, 11:46 AM
If both members of the family are inside California, and it's going from parent/grandparent to child/grandchild, then *NO* firearms require a DROS. They are exempt from the FFL requirement. Period. That includes handguns, long guns, and receivers.

bwiese
07-06-2011, 11:57 AM
If both members of the family are inside California, and it's going from parent/grandparent to child/grandchild, then *NO* firearms require a DROS. They are exempt from the FFL requirement. Period. That includes handguns, long guns, and receivers.

Correct.

Just to add for completenes, though, a recipient of a handgun in such a lineal intrafamily transfer must first hold a valid HSC card (Handgun Safety Certificate), and within 30 days of transfer must file reg paperwork with DOJ ($19 fee).

Tripper
07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
how is an 80% (completed as a pistol lower) processed when it comes to lineal transfer?

CHS
07-06-2011, 12:17 PM
how is an 80% (completed as a pistol lower) processed when it comes to lineal transfer?

That depends. If it's an 80% then it's not a firearm and you could UPS it to a random stranger in Idaho if you wanted to.

If it's a firearm like completed as a pistol lower, then it's not an 80%.

As far as what changes, nothing really. The ATF claims (without, I believe, any backing of law) that once you transfer a home-built firearm it needs to be marked to the same requirements of a manufacturer (Serial number, name of manufacturer, city/state of manufacturer).

So to be extra super duper safe, you would mark it with a serial number, your name, and the City/State where you manufactured it (EX: San Diego, CA).

Tripper
07-06-2011, 12:27 PM
that was my inclination,
that once transferred, it would need markings, even if it was familial transfer.

and, yes, i was referring to completed, I only mentioned the 80% part so you would know the history somewhat of it never being DROS'd or serialized

CHS
07-06-2011, 12:47 PM
that was my inclination,
that once transferred, it would need markings, even if it was familial transfer.

and, yes, i was referring to completed, I only mentioned the 80% part so you would know the history somewhat of it never being DROS'd or serialized

Really the correct way to refer to one is as a "homebuilt" or "homemade" firearm, since that's what they are.

80% is a marketing term. It's just what we call these weird lumps of metal that aren't firearms receivers but are mostly shaped like one and can be made into one. But at the end of the day, it's still a marketing term and certainly NOT any kind of legal term or definition.

Also, calling it an 80% implies that it's not in fact done, and is not classified by the law as a receiver/firearm.

SDS-Ruger
07-06-2011, 3:43 PM
Thanks for confirming. I just was not sure about the lower.

jwkincal
07-06-2011, 4:37 PM

But NOT a RAW... which cannot change ownership within this state, isn't that correct?

Quiet
07-06-2011, 4:43 PM
But NOT a RAW... which cannot change ownership within this state, isn't that correct?

Correct.

Also, handguns can't be gifted to a child/grandchild under the age of 18.

SDS-Ruger
07-06-2011, 4:58 PM
this is not a raw. just a lower that I want to give him as a birthday present. Since he has started showing interest in an AR.

jwkincal
07-06-2011, 5:22 PM
this is not a raw. just a lower that I want to give him as a birthday present. Since he has started showing interest in an AR.

Want to adopt another son? I may be a little older, but I'm interested in ARs too!