PDA

View Full Version : diplomatic privileges

munkeeboi
07-05-2011, 7:10 PM
not sure if this is the right forum, but can someone in the know help me on finding out if a diplomat ( from saudi arabia) is exempt from any or all CA firearms laws (list, ccw, mag lock, 10 day wait, etc.)? or are they bound to the same laws as ca civilians?

Alaric
07-05-2011, 8:34 PM
Is this diplomat part of an officially recognized mission to the United States? If so, then most likely, yes, they would be immune to prosecution under our state's laws. They could still be expelled, but it would likely be a fairly grievous offense they partook in to warrant that.

If they aren't part of a mission here, say they are part of a UN mission, or a mission to another country but they just happen to be visiting here, immunity would be very limited or even non-existent.

I'm not a lawyer, btw, so take this as my opinion, nothing more.

ETA: See this chart for more details, as apparently the position of the diplomat has some bearing... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_immunity#Diplomatic_immunity_in_the_Uni ted_States
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_immunity#Diplomatic_immunity_in_the_Uni ted_States)

dustoff31
07-06-2011, 6:19 AM
or are they bound to the same laws as ca civilians?

Yes, they are. Diplomatic immunity refers to immunity from prosecution in certain cases, not that they are exempt from the laws.

Quser.619
07-06-2011, 9:32 AM
Does he have a diplomatic passport? If so, I'd say have them contact the State Dept to verify

Gryff
07-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Yes, they are. Diplomatic immunity refers to immunity from prosecution in certain cases, not that they are exempt from the laws.

Correct. They are subject to the same laws as anyone else here, but just can't be prosecuted for breaking them. They do risk loosing their diplomatic status if they break the law. It's just a matter of whether our State Department feels it worth angering the respective foreign government over the issue.

choprzrul
07-06-2011, 11:41 AM
So, take Burundi for instance, if their diplomatic staff require security details; they could conceivably hire that detail from the host nation? In other words: I pay them $1000 to do my employment background check and they hire me as an official "Member of administrative and technical staff" for the purpose of providing security for their people when they are in town. Kinda like Ajax's project, but on an international level?

Caladain
07-06-2011, 12:45 PM
They'd have to secure diplomatic immunity for you (a hard thing to do, considering you're not a citizen of their country), and you'd have to be able/ready to move to their country if the State Dept said "umm..expel him please"
So, take Burundi for instance, if their diplomatic staff require security details; they could conceivably hire that detail from the host nation? In other words: I pay them $1000 to do my employment background check and they hire me as an official "Member of administrative and technical staff" for the purpose of providing security for their people when they are in town. Kinda like Ajax's project, but on an international level?

dwtt
07-06-2011, 3:00 PM

That's not going to happen because the State Dept already has an entire bureau of special agents who protect foreign diplomats. There are located in all the major US cities where foreign countries have consulates and embassies. When the prime minister of England comes to, say, Sacramento State to give a speech, not only will the British have their own security people, the US will provide additional security since the British security people won't be able to arrest and detain anyone here. The special agents can. If you want one of these jobs, they are listed on the USAJobs web site and they seem to be always accepting applications, though the competition is tough.