PDA

View Full Version : CA "Legislative action alert" poll

curtisfong
07-05-2011, 4:22 PM
I have to admit, after the AB962 kerfuffle, I've been increasingly cynical about the effect of petitions, emails, calls polls, etc. on legislators. On an increasingly alarming number of topics, they seem to blatantly ignore such things, either because they already have established opinions on issues, or they feel callin/fax/email/petition campaigns are a "vocal minority" effect that can be safely ignored.

curtisfong
07-05-2011, 4:32 PM
Oh BTW this should not be taken as encouragement to NOT communicate with your congresscritter.

At worst, it provides some sort of proof that people do care about how their congresscritters vote.

VW*Mike
07-05-2011, 4:36 PM
I fired off the mass email last night, response from ONE official, and it was a generic response saying it may take time to get to my email.

bwiese
07-05-2011, 5:48 PM
When it works, it works. You can't skip the drill

It's kinda like advertising - you don't always know that it works, but you know if you don't advertise, your business fails.

Plus, predictable repeatability of pain applied to legiscritters thru burning up phone time and administrative time makes them more shy afterwards.

jrwhitt
07-05-2011, 5:51 PM
Sent my emails this cycle but not convinced the more entrenched critters listen.

diginit
07-05-2011, 6:12 PM
You can lead a jackass to water sometimes, But you still can't make him drink...

Vacaville
07-05-2011, 6:37 PM
I sent one to Feinstein a couple of years ago and received a response back thanking me for supporting her gun control efforts.

We no longer live in a representative democracy.

Paladin
07-05-2011, 6:45 PM
You won't turn a hard core anti to our side unless you can remove them from office. Then they'll listen.

What you can do is tip the ones who are not hardcore antis, the moderates.

Even calling the hard core antis is good because it shows that if we're calling them, it means we're probably calling their colleagues who aren't hard core and may be vulnerable in an election in their district. What does that mean? It means that when the anti is twisting the arm of the moderate, he'll cut the moderate some slack because he knows that the moderate is in true fear of political fallout.

But if we don't call them all, the hardcore anti will say, "Nobody's calling about this. It's not an issue people care about. Give in and vote for this or I'll make you pay!" IOW, by calling the hardcore antis too, we give the moderate "political cover" to vote for our side.

There are many reasons and levels of political play that are not always obvious. Make those calls! They CANNOT hurt us and cost so little time and effort (compared to bleeding and dying like our country's forefathers did to get us/preserve our RKBA).

andrewj
07-05-2011, 7:03 PM
Mr. and Mrs. Politician do not care what I have to say

Paladin
07-05-2011, 7:42 PM
Good grief! So much discouragement around here today. And to think that just, what, 2 or 3 years ago, we got Sacto to pass and Arnie to sign a bill making it illegal to take our guns during a state of emergency w/o cause (over simplification I'm sure).

I'll now post this in a 3rd thread to help encourage CGNers:
"don't be discouraged long-term. Redistricting by independent panel kicks in next year, so after the 2012 elections, we should have some new politicians in Sacto who will be more "moderate" and thus more compliant to organized and focused political pressure, such as calls/faxes/emails/etc."

curtisfong
07-05-2011, 8:04 PM
I agree. Again, I don't mean to be downer. Mostly just venting. It is CRITICAL that we NEVER let up the pressure, even if we feel discouraged.

wjc
07-06-2011, 7:30 AM
I'm of the opinion that our legislators aren't listening to anything that doesn't jibe with their agendas. I still email, phone, etc.

Bhobbs
07-06-2011, 7:40 AM
I sent one to Feinstein a couple of years ago and received a response back thanking me for supporting her gun control efforts.

We no longer live in a representative democracy republic.

FTFY

I doubt these people ever read the emails when they want the bill to pass. If the email is supporting what they want, the probably read it but not when it is against their cause.