PDA

View Full Version : Need even more help now with my AK trigger

wilit
12-30-2006, 5:43 PM
I'm using a Tapco G2 group with a shepards hook to retain the pins. I assembled the FCG as per the gunsgutsandgod.com website, and checked my work multiple times, disassembled, and reassembled numerous times, and am still having the same issue.

When I lock the hammer back so it catches under the sear hook, I pull the trigger and the sear doesn't release the hammer. I've got the sear sping installed correctly, and the hammer is the right side up. Where am I going wrong?

NeoWeird
12-30-2006, 5:56 PM
This may be a dummy question, but....

are you trying to 'fire' the weapon with the selector in? If it IS in, make sure it is DOWN towards the trigger as that is the safety off. If it is down, or it is now down and still won't fire, remove the selector completely. If that does not solve the problem, return here, try to take pictures, and try to describe in detail the relation of the trigger and sear and the sear and hammer. Also, what type of receiver you are using might help along with any other information. The more details the better.

JHC
12-30-2006, 5:58 PM
The hammer should be being held back by the trigger hooks (red circle) and not the disconnector if everything is installed properly.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/crash76/trig.jpg

The disconnector (what the picture is calling the sear) only hooks the hammer if you fire and dont let go of the trigger afterwards.

wilit
12-30-2006, 6:48 PM
:) Yes, the selector is set to fire. I had tried it several times with the selector removed as well, same issue.

I was under the impression that only the trigger hook was to hold the hammer back, and not the sear/disconnector. However, when I pull the bolt back to cock the hammer, it gets caught under the sear hook. I can push forward on the trigger and the sear will release the hammer to the trigger hook.

Looking at the FCG, it looks like the sear hook only catches the hammer by less than 1/2mm. Should I try taking a file to the sear hook?

thedrickel
12-30-2006, 6:55 PM
Try it with the original FCG. (or at least the original hammer and trigger) Maybe it's an issue with the receiver?

Charliegone
12-30-2006, 7:08 PM
Try shifting the trigger a bit. In other words just move it to the right or left (which ever is the problem.)

JHC
12-30-2006, 7:15 PM
The sleeve is installed in the G2 right? We need some pics to help.

JHC
12-30-2006, 7:22 PM
Here's some pics of where the disconnector should be in relation to the hammer.
It should be well below the point that it could catch the hammer when the trigger is not being pulled.

Yeah, I know my gun is dirty, but so is my car.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/crash76/CIMG4045.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/crash76/CIMG4044.jpg

wilit
12-30-2006, 9:13 PM
The sleeve is installed in the G2 right? We need some pics to help.

:confused: Damn, that's what I forgot. And I left the sleeve at my buddy's shop so I can't reassemble it to test it. That would explain the slight lateral play to the trigger.

I'll get it and report back.

Harbinger
12-30-2006, 9:32 PM
I had the exact same problem with my OOW/ITM Arms receiver and a Tapco G2 Double-Hook set. I had to file down the area on the hammer and trigger where they touch. It didn't take much, so I chalk it up to the crappiness that is ITM Arms.

I've had so many alignment issues with this receiver that I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Mike

JHC
12-31-2006, 6:51 AM
I had the exact same problem with my OOW/ITM Arms receiver and a Tapco G2 Double-Hook set. I had to file down the area on the hammer and trigger where they touch. It didn't take much, so I chalk it up to the crappiness that is ITM Arms.

I've had so many alignment issues with this receiver that I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Mike

My Ewbank's weren't much better, it's a good thing DCI came along or there'd be alot of half finished, dremel-destroyed AK pattern rifles in garages across California

Santa Cruz Armory
12-31-2006, 7:19 AM
Don't feel bad...I have about 8 hours fitting, filing, polishing, more filing, more polishing.....you get the point. In the end I still had to file down the disconnector to get it to hold the hammer down, I had to take quite a bit off the G2 hammer to get it to fit under the bolt. Just realize it's a work in progress

I wish that I had the ability to tweak it, fire it, tweak it, fire it. It would make the process much faster. I bought a couple of snap caps, but that didn't really help that much as I needed the gun to cycle to see if it worked.

I really like the gun but I hate it without the pistol grip, it just doesn't feel right. As said in the previous post, I think my next one will be a DCI. :D

Good luck!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/P1040070.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/BLFD1/P1043.jpg

Harbinger
12-31-2006, 8:25 AM
Don't feel bad...I have about 8 hours fitting, filing, polishing, more filing, more polishing.....you get the point. In the end I still had to file down the disconnector to get it to hold the hammer down, I had to take quite a bit off the G2 hammer to get it to fit under the bolt. Just realize it's a work in progress

I see an ITM arms receiver :( . Dude, I'm RIGHT THERE WITH YOU.

I'm currently DROSsing an NDS-3. All indications are that it's a MUCH easier build. No trunnion holes to drill, no trigger or magazine alignment issues.... YAY!

Did you have trouble fitting the selector lever in there? Mine wouldn't clear the back of the disconnector!

Mike

Santa Cruz Armory
12-31-2006, 10:15 AM
No, mine fit ok, but it took alot of massaging to get everything working. It's still not 100% perfect, but I'm still playing with it a little before I put a finish on it.

wilit
12-31-2006, 2:31 PM
Mine's and NDS-4, and I only had to do some really REALLY minor filing to the underfolder holes. Other than that, everything fit perfectly.

rssslvr
12-31-2006, 2:36 PM
+1,000,000 the ITMs are a PITA.The NDS receivers are much much better

Charliegone
12-31-2006, 2:53 PM
So far I would recommend the global and nds. From the looks they are the easiest to build on without much filing. I haven't personal built one on the nds yet, but my uncle has and says it works great. I have built ewbanks and the global.

The ewbanks did require some filing on the extractor and the rails..other than that they work well. The global worked well with no filing at all except that I had to file the hammer a bit for it to cycle well. My uncle worked on the itm and it required some major work...

wilit
01-02-2007, 5:33 PM
Okay, so I installed the trigger group bushing. That fixed my sear hook not releasing the hammer problem. Now that the trigger group is in the correct spot, the hammer is catching on the bolt. What part of the hammer do I need to file, and how much filing is too much?

rssslvr
01-02-2007, 5:40 PM
Okay, so I installed the trigger group bushing. That fixed my sear hook not releasing the hammer problem. Now that the trigger group is in the correct spot, the hammer is catching on the bolt. What part of the hammer do I need to file, and how much filing is too much?
My ITM with G2 FCG was like that too.I just hand cycled it a crap load of times and it was fine

JHC
01-02-2007, 6:19 PM
If your bolt carrier is hanging up bad you may need to do some minor filing on the hammer where it drags, grind as little as possible since this is also the area that strikes the firing pin when you pull the trigger.

Santa Cruz Armory
01-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Mark the top of the hammer with a dry erase marker or something like that and cycle it back and forth. Take material off the hammer in that area until you get it to cycle smoother.

I used a small grinder with a sandpaper buffing wheel on it. It was much easier on the part and was alot faster than taking it in & out SO many times.

I buffed it until I could pull the hammer away from the bottom of the bolt a tiny bit, then I polished the hammer really smooth with scotch brite.

Good Luck!

wilit
01-06-2007, 6:59 PM
Incidentally I got everything working right. I just worked the action back and forth a couple of times and that seemed to do the trick. Can't wait to fire it now.