PDA

View Full Version : Pigs in Central Cal

1SGMAT
12-30-2006, 5:58 PM
Took 4 boar out of Camp Roberts this week. Could not believe the size of ones head.

DJMAN
12-30-2006, 6:33 PM
How about some Pics? The one I got was this biiiiiiiiggggggg.:rolleyes:

tankerman
12-30-2006, 7:46 PM
Were there many hunters? Plenty of acorns? I love that place.

Whitesmoke
12-30-2006, 7:56 PM
Took 4 boar out of Camp Roberts this week. Could not believe the size of ones head.

FOUR OF THEM!! Do you mind saying what area you were hunting?
(or PM me?)
I used to be in the National Guard and have been all over that place......

Everybody I know that goes to Hunter liggett goes like 10 times before getting a pig.

Any pics?:D

11Z50
12-30-2006, 9:14 PM
Oh yes, Camp Bob. I spent mucho time there. I bet you were down in the southwest corner, in the hills by the bend in the river. Or maybe Sherwood forest? The Ops guy there is an old compadre. I've been meaning to get over there one of these days.....BTW do you know MAJ C?

Whitesmoke
12-30-2006, 11:56 PM
"I bet you were down in the southwest corner, in the hills by the bend in the river."

Thats where I was thinking it might be too.....

Whats the process for hunting Roberts anyways? Is it just like Hunter liggett? Just show up at the shack and check in? Do they assign hunting of only a certain training area each day?

I remember one time at Liggett a hunter traveled downrange into our live fire area somehow :eek: ....lol. They shut us down for a little while...I bet they kicked that guy (hunter) off the base...lol.

1SGMAT
12-31-2006, 9:59 AM
I will see if I can get my pics up.

There were 5 of us on the hunt but I was mainly there to get them their first pig. My freezer is still packed with the 260 lb sow I got on May 14 this year. One of my good friends brought his son for his first big game hunt so we got him a pig.

I hunted CR for 4 years before I got one and was able to figure out where they sleep and eat. Now I just make sure Im between them.

I used to spend alot of time chasing sign down on the south side of post but that was a waste of time (4 years).

Camp Roberts is easier to hunt than Hunter Ligget. Once you check in the post is yours. You do not have to keep going back and checking in everytime you want to move.

I know a few Maj C's. Which one are you thinking of?

Are you talking about the OPS Guy who will be retiring soon?

volcanic
12-31-2006, 3:00 PM
I'm going to check that place out. I have always wanted to boar hunt.

Vigilante
01-01-2007, 11:07 AM
I went out there about a month or two months ago and didn't have much luck. Saw some old rootings and that was about it. The kid working the Fish and Game shack said that only two guys got pigs that morning and they were both small.

anotherone
01-01-2007, 8:09 PM
What rifle did you use to take the pigs?

1SGMAT
01-01-2007, 8:40 PM
The last pig I took in May (as well as the 4 before that one) were with my Savage MDL 99 in .300 Savage.

three were took with .270's and one with a 30.06.