PDA

View Full Version : Cold steel recon 1

GlockTank
07-05-2011, 10:30 AM
I know there is no legal limit for a folding pocket knife. But I keep hearing the width of your palm is the legal size for a pocket knife. Should I not carry such a big folder? Does it depend on the officer or deputy if they decide to cite me for an illegal folding knife. I really cant stand all the BS I just want to be legal and not worry about it. I love my recon 1 and dont want to give it up.

Roddd
07-05-2011, 10:40 AM
I haven't heard anything about the width of your palm. Carry what you're comfortable with. Your standard folding knives are legal.

RudyN
07-05-2011, 1:41 PM
I carry a Cold Steel Recon and have no problem with it.

Librarian
07-05-2011, 2:19 PM
Knife regs at the state level are location-dependent. At the local level - and it's entirely legal for every county and city to invent their own laws - you'd have to look at each individual governmental body's lists.

See http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2289918&postcount=6

safewaysecurity
07-05-2011, 2:49 PM
I hear the palm thing from people in L.A county.

Roddd
07-05-2011, 4:40 PM
Maybe the palm thing is a municipal code.

Librarian
07-05-2011, 5:05 PM
Maybe the palm thing is a municipal code.

I've heard the palm thing all across the country over the last 50 or so years.

Since there's no 'standard knife-measuring palm', it's hard to believe that anyplace has codified knife length in those terms. I suspect it's folklore, and folks in many places said "Hey, the limit is four inches; the palm of my hand is three and three-quarters. If the blade doesn't stick out over my palm, it's obviously too short to worry about the length, and I don't need to actually measure."

islandchanel
07-14-2011, 11:34 AM
I have this knife and it is super sharp. A little hard to flip out with your tumb though

greasemonkey
07-20-2011, 6:34 AM
I've heard the palm thing all across the country over the last 50 or so years.

Since there's no 'standard knife-measuring palm', it's hard to believe that anyplace has codified knife length in those terms. I suspect it's folklore, and folks in many places said "Hey, the limit is four inches; the palm of my hand is three and three-quarters. If the blade doesn't stick out over my palm, it's obviously too short to worry about the length, and I don't need to actually measure."

You've been hearing things longer than I've been alive!:eek: I've heard the same and have found no basis to believe it's true. I looked CA and my surrounding Counties' knife regs up a while back and found nothing barring my Recon 1, I LOVE that knife.